TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CLUTCH ISSUES?

COBRA CRUIZER

Could it be a new transmission?

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts015.jpg

With a little different highly polished input shaft?

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts046.jpg

Maybe a new flywheel too?

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts058.jpg

And 9 new bolts?

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts004.jpg

Maybe a clutch with a nickle Hub?

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts008.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts006.jpg

Topped of with a coating of Teflon Lube on the splines of the input shaft and Clutch hub?

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts053.jpg

Could it be?

:idea:

Could it be a new transmission?

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts015.jpg

With a little different highly polished input shaft?

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts046.jpg

Maybe a new flywheel too?

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts058.jpg

And 9 new bolts?

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts004.jpg

Maybe a clutch with a nickle Hub?

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts008.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts006.jpg

Topped of with a coating of Teflon Lube on the splines of the input shaft and Clutch hub?

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts053.jpg

Could it be?

:idea:

You card, you!

bj

I really can`t believe that Ford put these transmission together with no lub on the spline , that the clutch disc moves on

It was the input shaft spline that wasn't lubed - just a missed step (that took them 11 months of production to fix :banghead: ).

I really can`t believe that Ford put these transmission together with no lub on the spline , that the clutch disc moves on

Well....

My Tranny shaft and clutch hub was as dry as a bone and starting to rust.

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts051.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts033.jpg

You card, you!

bj

ya leave it to grabber to be a name dropper ..

" i got this bolt and this clutch and ...." :hysterical2:

The Teflon lube gets applied to both surfaces. The clutch hub gets it and the input shaft on the tranny gets it.

Here is my shaft and hub getting lubed. :hysterical:

th_Jan162008-VID00007.jpg

Well....

My Tranny shaft and clutch hub was as dry as a bone and starting to rust.

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts051.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts033.jpg

Clutch wear looks even ,with some minor wear. Looks like its been dumped at 3,000 r.p.m a few times :hysterical2:

Hmmm ! wonder if mine looks like that what the starting symptoms?

I'm glad to hear this. My Ford service guy has been unwilling to do anything. I mentioned the related TSBs that Shelby101 put up and asked him to research. Only after bugging the dealer was there some progress. Though that amounts to having a Ford "field engineer" come out and check. Given the history here, and the recognition by Ford that there's a production issue that was corrected at the end of 2007 production, there should be an across the board fix for the 2007 model year. There shouldn't be a litmus test to see if we have problems today. We will all have problems someday. And the fix better be more than applying lube to the shaft. My understanding is the fix is more than that.

1) tranny input shaft splines are milled differently

2) tranny input shaft splines are polished

3) clutch hub is nickle - less prone to corrosion

4) Teflon lube applied for lubrication and corrosion protection

5) Replace flywheel

6) Replace clutch bolts with new ones.

Unless that is all done with this "Quality Service", it will be an incomplete solution. I've had the 1st to 2nd grinding since day one. I've had the grinding going into reverse since summer. It appeared that time was a factor given the corrosion needed time to develop. I don't want a fix that over time could repeat.

I'm glad to hear this. My Ford service guy has been unwilling to do anything. I mentioned the related TSBs that Shelby101 put up and asked him to research. Only after bugging the dealer was there some progress. Though that amounts to having a Ford "field engineer" come out and check. Given the history here, and the recognition by Ford that there's a production issue that was corrected at the end of 2007 production, there should be an across the board fix for the 2007 model year. There shouldn't be a litmus test to see if we have problems today. We will all have problems someday. And the fix better be more than applying lube to the shaft. My understanding is the fix is more than that.

1) tranny input shaft splines are milled differently

2) tranny input shaft splines are polished

3) clutch hub is nickle - less prone to corrosion

4) Teflon lube applied for lubrication and corrosion protection

Unless that is all done with this "Quality Service", it will be an incomplete solution. I've had the 1st to 2nd grinding since day one. I've had the grinding going into reverse since summer. It appeared that time was a factor given the corrosion needed time to develop. I don't want a fix that over time could repeat.

Add a couple more to your list:

5) Replace flywheel

The Teflon lube gets applied to both surfaces. The clutch hub gets it and the input shaft on the tranny gets it.

Here is my shaft and hub getting lubed. :hysterical:

th_Jan162008-VID00007.jpg

Hey Grabber, I just watched the video, was it the lube, the techs technique or both that caused you to get a "chubby"

Enquiring minds want to know!!!! Either way, you've got me looking forward to some good old Ford servicing!

Add a couple more to your list:

5) Replace flywheel

My understanding is that some flywheels need to be changed because of warping due to Pressure plate attach bolts being over torqued. A new flywheel will offer no atvantage over a flywheel that is in good condition.

My understanding is that some flywheels need to be changed because of warping due to Pressure plate attach bolts being over torqued. A new flywheel will offer no atvantage over a flywheel that is in good condition.

I agree with the statement about warping being a concern. However, I would like to add to that. Heat is a concern too. With heat, comes warpage too. I am not sure if a Tech can tell if the flywheel is warped by the naked eye. I think that is why they are just replacing them. I understand that your dealer was instructed to replace the flywheel, but chose to do a visual inspection instead. Not sure what his thought process was there. I am also concerned that since the torque spec's have been changed 3 times now, that the original installation could have an issue. I don't know, but they changed it for a reason.

My tech did a visual inspection on mine and said it looked fine, but he said he was instructed to replace it...so he did.

I think the technical line is now instructing dealers to do a visual inspection on the flywheel for burn marks and warpage, instead of replacement. This is what another member told me, that is waiting for parts. It would be my guess that Ford has inspected alot of these and is finding that most are fine.

I've had the grinding going into reverse since summer. It appeared that time was a factor given the corrosion needed time to develop.

I might owe you an apology. It appears that your car caught the clutch flu from my car, when they spent all that time parked next to each other in Dearborn.

I agree with the statement about warping being a concern. However, I would like to add to that. Heat is a concern too. With heat, comes warpage too. I am not sure if a Tech can tell if the flywheel is warped by the naked eye. I think that is why they are just replacing them. I understand that your dealer was instructed to replace the flywheel, but chose to do a visual inspection instead. Not sure what his thought process was there. I am also concerned that since the torque spec's have been changed 3 times now, that the original installation could have an issue. I don't know, but they changed it for a reason.

My tech did a visual inspection on mine and said it looked fine, but he said he was instructed to replace it...so he did.

I think the technical line is now instructing dealers to do a visual inspection on the flywheel for burn marks and warpage, instead of replacement. This is what another member told me, that is waiting for parts. It would be my guess that Ford has inspected alot of these and is finding that most are fine.

They must be good Tech`s to visually see warpage . Unless they can use a dial on it he may not see it with the naked eye other than burn marks but again burn marks only indicate heat. 2cts

They must be good Tech`s to visually see warpage . Unless they can use a dial on it he may not see it with the naked eye other than burn marks but again burn marks only indicate heat. 2cts

Bluing in certain areas can indicate the probability of warping.

Archived