TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire Pressure Monitoring system

Hey all,

So the local numchucks at my dealership are at it again, last time I had my car in to have DRLs enabled via the computer, they managed to bugger up the tire pressure monitoring system so that it faults now every time I start the car. I even watched the guy tinkering while he was on his computer, I'm positive it had said something about recalibration if he proceeded which he did and then promptly unplugged the computer from the dash and left it be. I never really noticed the fault until I got home as they drove the car out of the garage for me and left it runnning as I got in. I have since been back to ream them out and get the problem fixed for free, but now the guy says he tried to retrain the system 3 times and the settings didn't hold, which I feel is BS, as if he was able to mess up the setting in the first place, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to revert it to the original operating state and save it. Anyone have any experience with retraining this system that could chime in and offer any advice that I could pass along as to what they might be doing wrong? I am really starting to lose faith in my local ford dealer, but they screwed it up and I don't want to pay a larger dealership in a larger center nearby to fix their mistakes. Thanks for any help.

Darren

Hey all,

So the local numchucks at my dealership are at it again, last time I had my car in to have DRLs enabled via the computer, they managed to bugger up the tire pressure monitoring system so that it faults now every time I start the car. I even watched the guy tinkering while he was on his computer, I'm positive it had said something about recalibration if he proceeded which he did and then promptly unplugged the computer from the dash and left it be. I never really noticed the fault until I got home as they drove the car out of the garage for me and left it runnning as I got in. I have since been back to ream them out and get the problem fixed for free, but now the guy says he tried to retrain the system 3 times and the settings didn't hold, which I feel is BS, as if he was able to mess up the setting in the first place, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to revert it to the original operating state and save it. Anyone have any experience with retraining this system that could chime in and offer any advice that I could pass along as to what they might be doing wrong? I am really starting to lose faith in my local ford dealer, but they screwed it up and I don't want to pay a larger dealership in a larger center nearby to fix their mistakes. Thanks for any help.

Darren

Mine was throwing it too. They retrained the sensors and after about 20 miles it threw it again. It ended up being a bad sensor with a weak signal on the right front wheel.

Hey all,

Darren

I wouldn't worry at all about having to pay--this is certainly a warranty issue. I've got mine lit right now too, and I'm starting to think I may have a problem. It came on last Saturday and I checked and had 28 lb from the dealer in all four of them. I went ahead and ran them up to 29 and a half (i didn't want to put over 30 since it was about 10 degrees outside) and the light still won't go off...

I wouldn't worry at all about having to pay--this is certainly a warranty issue. I've got mine lit right now too, and I'm starting to think I may have a problem. It came on last Saturday and I checked and had 28 lb from the dealer in all four of them. I went ahead and ran them up to 29 and a half (i didn't want to put over 30 since it was about 10 degrees outside) and the light still won't go off...

The crappy thing about mine was that the dealer was the one that caused the fault, if hadn't been messing around in the wrong category of programmable bits then it would still be working fine. It had never caused a problem before, it even caught right when I picked up the car off of the trailer. The straps were on the tires and I didn't even think that they were probably depressurized a bit so that it could sink in and grab better (I was just too excited to be seeing my new car for the first time. =D) The light warned me to fill up the tires a bit and then after I popped them up to 30 it went away and had been happy until they started tinkering a month later.

One thing I hadn't thought of: The sensors are battery powered and have a low power transmitter. The battery might be pretty cold and not delivering much voltage during this unusual cold spell and the transmitter may be not pwerfull enough for the receiver to lock on to. Just a guess.

The crappy thing about mine was that the dealer was the one that caused the fault, if hadn't been messing around in the wrong category of programmable bits then it would still be working fine. It had never caused a problem before, it even caught right when I picked up the car off of the trailer. The straps were on the tires and I didn't even think that they were probably depressurized a bit so that it could sink in and grab better (I was just too excited to be seeing my new car for the first time. =D) The light warned me to fill up the tires a bit and then after I popped them up to 30 it went away and had been happy until they started tinkering a month later.

The dealer did something to cause mine to start faulting. He finally had to get in touch with Ford and they had to go into a " back door" i.e. the Smart Junction Box, SJB, to get the retraining of the sensors to take hold. So this was not a standard procedure but one that the Ford engineers showed them how to do.

Tell your dealer this and maybe they can find out what to do.

Now tell me again why do our cars need this TPS system ? It seems like it could be a big hassle especially during tire rotations or getting new tires ! I have never had one on any of my other vehicles and some how I always remember to check the pressure evry so often with no problems.

Now tell me again why do our cars need this TPS system ? It seems like it could be a big hassle especially during tire rotations or getting new tires ! I have never had one on any of my other vehicles and some how I always remember to check the pressure evry so often with no problems.

Likewise Traction Control and we're getting these brainless do-dads added to our cars because no one in today's generation wants to learn how to drive and maintain an automobile. IMHO, it's come to the point where there is no one around to teach them either.

Owning and driving an automobile is a responsibility, a talent, a skill. And, it's slipping away from us. Won't be long before a GPS system marries the car, and all you will have to do is voice your destination, and sit back.

Hang on George Jetson, we're coming!

I can see it now ... were going to be like the 1993 movie Sylvester Stallone did "Demolition Man" were we will all be talking to our cars and letting them do the driving. Oh no and if I remember correctly Taco Bell was a fine dinning resturant in the future Los Angeles :)

can the TPMS be dis-abled permanently? Also, does the system have any effect on the cars performance if the light is on?

It's against the law to disable the TPMS $6,000 per occurance. It has no effect on performance when the light is on, it's only there as a warning at this time. As for the trouble with the dealer programming, I would suggest A complete PMI on your system (Programmable Module Installation)Re-Flash then have the Tech perform the TPMS Calibration. I can understand your frustation. Be patient with you local Dealer personnal using a helpful attitute or when they see you coming they may turn and run. Obnoxious customers are never welcome, even paying ones. If your dealer can't help you if you get me the codes from all modules I will see if I can help out....

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...
Do we know what the pressure thresholds are for setting off the TPMS?? Once mine went off during our really cold spell, it took about 31 lbs. to get it to go away...

When I picked my car up at the border the pressure was 26 all around as the tie downs were on all 4 tires on the trailer it arrived on. The sensor picked it up and I was able to fill the tires about 10 minutes down the road. Bumped it up to around 32 which was the recommended pressure, wasn't that cold so I wasn't too worried, then I hadn't seen the warning since. Mind you, what I'm getting now is a fault, rather than the low tire pressure warning I got when it was actually working properly.

Archived