TEAM SHELBY FORUM

REAR AXLE RUST ISSUE

venomus07GT500

Grabber & davidwhuff have posted threads about how they painted the rear components. Grabber sprayed it on & David brushed it on. Check out their threads on this.

It is a shame you have to paint the axle to hide the rust on a $50,000 car let alone a SHELBY.

I have 4 other 2006 thry 07 Ford vehicles at our home and noe have this issue, seems to pertain only to the Mustang line.

It is a shame you have to paint the axle to hide the rust on a $50,000 car let alone a SHELBY.

I have 4 other 2006 thry 07 Ford vehicles at our home and noe have this issue, seems to pertain only to the Mustang line.

Ford and Shelby are not too concerned about how the axles look. Here is how a Shelby GT was displayed at the Barrett Jackson auction. The cars were stacked at the Ford display so you can get a good look underneath.

The consumer is left on their own to deal with this.

post-9625-1201230621_thumb.jpg

post-9625-1201230621_thumb.jpg

Ford and Shelby are not too concerned about how the axles look. Here is how a Shelby GT was displayed at the Barrett Jackson auction. The cars were stacked at the Ford display so you can get a good look underneath.

The consumer is left on their own to deal with this.

THAT IS A SHAME AND THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THAT TO HAVE BEEN INSTALLED ON THE CAR, PASS INSPECTION, QUALITY CONTROL, ETC.

I PRAY THE GT500 SS AND GT500KR'S THAT ARE BEING PRODUCED WILL HAVE THAT ISSUE TAKEN CARE OF BEFORE THEY LEAVE SHELBY'S MOD. SHOP.

I PRAY THE GT500 SS AND GT500KR'S THAT ARE BEING PRODUCED WILL HAVE THAT ISSUE TAKEN CARE OF BEFORE THEY LEAVE SHELBY'S MOD. SHOP.

A SAI employee already posted a while ago that there will NOTHING extra done at Shelby about the bare rear axle. They consider that a Ford issue.

What rust ?

th_Sep152007-VID00001.jpg

Hey Rob

Did you paint it in place or take it out? What kind of prep? What kind of paint? I do have a 2-post lift so it should be a little easier than on the ramps. I never really looked at my rear end that close, but from the pics I expect mine is just as rusty as the others.

Rick

Hey Rob

Did you paint it in place or take it out? What kind of prep? What kind of paint? I do have a 2-post lift so it should be a little easier than on the ramps. I never really looked at my rear end that close, but from the pics I expect mine is just as rusty as the others.

Rick

Just for you rick:

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.p...c=11229&hl=

• 4 weeks later...
Is ford gonna warranty this issue?

if the dummies at ford would just call bubba's auto and order some chassis black paint this problem would be a non-issue..reminds me of the pimply faced kid in detroit who advised GM of there leaky gasket problems involving cadillac 25 years ago...some times ford cuts too many corners when 15cents of paint would solve the problem

Let me say I am the first to have started this back I think in Oct of 06...... (first to post this mod)

First car with a clean stock rear end....(300 mi)

Ford ....you can blame me if you like for bring this to your costumers attention but you should have people to tell you that this shit don't fly on a 50 K car..............

Also there are other things ...but if Ford relay gave a $hit.....they would have me as an in house critic.... :happy feet: Oh..snap...

Thats what I do..........And love it.............

" Attention to detail " Is a must !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Dave.

if the dummies at ford would just call bubba's auto and order some chassis black paint this problem would be a non-issue..reminds me of the pimply faced kid in detroit who advised GM of there leaky gasket problems involving cadillac 25 years ago...some times ford cuts too many corners when 15cents of paint would solve the problem

Are these differentials produced by Ford or by Dana?

If by Dana then perhaps Ford needs to stand and ask for a better quality product?

Yes that is so ......But the thing here is at 50K this one part could be real nice at a cost of small #'s on Ford's part....

Or we can do ...................As we/I did....................

Small things....count....JMO

Um, not that I want to add water to the fire or anything, but my '65 has unpainted axles, springs and stuff, as did the '68. They're all rusty. They still go "clank" if you whack them with a sledgehammer.

Other than aethetics, I don't think there's going to be any harm in surface rust.

No argument here that the axle rust is purely a cosmetic issue. The thing is expectations have changed in the last 40 years. The competitors to Ford have been delivering a better product and raising the bar on quality. There's no excuse for rusty parts on a brand new car. These axles are not painted because Ford specifies them that way in order to cut cost and at the expense of customer satisfaction of a small percentage of owners that actually care about the way their car's undercarriage looks; this mainly consists of enthusiasts like us. Most Mustang owners probably never look under there so it really doesn't matter to them.

Its just NOT ok for them to deliver a product like this. Had a freind with a ranger pick up that his dad owned. the truck was one of the original first series of the truck. had about 30,000 miles on it and the entire rear end hadware had to be replaced because it was rusting off the vechicle.

I had a 1997 f150 lariet garage kept and I had to sell my truck after about 5 year because it seams everything was rusting under neith,

Gas,brake lines all of the fittings , spring perches

Yes I live on the east coast but I would say everybody on the east coast has a car wash done not long after a storm to have the snow,ice and salt cleaned from the bottom of the cars/trucks

You know when I replaced that F150 I went to a chevy silvarado, for no other reason then because the chevy had paint on the parts, I actually send a letter to the president of ford with pictures of my rusted suspention and fuel and brake lines and pictures of my new silverado. and a copy of the sales invoice and the letter was never answered, I spoke with my wallet on this and decided I would never purchase another ford again till they did better (that was before the Shelby came out though)

So you can say its only cosmetics, But 5 years from now whensimple maintnece on the vechicle turns into major repair because you can get rusted parts removed and have to be cut off with a tourch , then tell us its only cosmetics

Now I was told once when I was ranting about how much it sucks to have all these rust issues on what I concider a fairly new vechicle (5 years old)

Was that the rust is soo agressive because of the newer electronics in the vechicle causeing electroacis because of all of the disimular metals

Also to bring up that the older mustangs also rusted and there just trying to mimic the old car????????????? there are plenty of east coast fox bodied mustangs that just look like an old car underneith.

What about the drive shaft, it will rust too did any one do the project i searched but only rear axle results popped up.

Yes the stock DS will rust too. I will probably replace it with an aluminum DS some day; the aluminum will not rust and is much lighter than stock. I have read of some folks painting their DS; IMO a clear type paint is better suited for that job but you should first remove any existing rust.

Seems it could only be a couple bucks more to paint when mass produced?

I agree, but even a small $ amount can add up in large quantities. For instance if it cost $5 to paint an axle, and Ford produces 200,000 Mustangs per year - it would save Ford $1,000,000 per year to not paint them. All companies are trying to find creative ways to save in order to help their bottom line. Sometimes their cost saving ideas are not the best.

I will be doing this project as soon as I get my bumper painted properly. So I am guessing I will be doing this at the end of March, Begining of April.

I looked under mine. It looks pretty good. Rust is starting to show up, the worst is on the Axle Weights, they are totally covered.

I have about 2300 miles on mine since Nov 15th.

It will be a good project and nice not to have to worry about it once the project is completed.

Ill be sure and post up some before and after pics when the time comes. :happy feet: :happy feet:

Worse than that is when rust shows on engine....if you look closely on the V angle of the iron block you can see that rust starts withe screws and surface underneath. also aluminum oxidation seems like inevitable just time will tell from state to state.worse in the snow belt where it is faster.

I am questioning now the quality on the long run. so people thinking investment.....don't hold your breath it will be all rusted up by then...THX FORD FOR SCREWING US UP.

Archived