TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How does GT500 match up against Saleen Mustangs

I recently saw a beautiful black Saleen Mustang with all of the fancy additional body parts. It had a supercharged motor that sounded quite healthy.

How does the 500 stack up to the recent Saleens in price and performance? I would think the 'factory' car is really the best situation even if it may not be as fast.

I recently saw a beautiful black Saleen Mustang with all of the fancy additional body parts. It had a supercharged motor that sounded quite healthy.

How does the 500 stack up to the recent Saleens in price and performance? I would think the 'factory' car is really the best situation even if it may not be as fast.

Considering weight and what not, I bet they will make the same 0-60 times and on the 1/4 mile.

Saleen S281 Supercharged is a 425 hp 4.6L V8 with 3-valve heads and 5-speed manual vs the Shelby GT500 with a 500 hp 5.4L V8 with 4-valve heads and 6-speed manual. Saleens cost a lot more per horsepower than a Shelby. Each looks and handles very well. Saleen MSRP is about $10-$20K higher than a comparably equipped Shelby, so with dealer ADM's on the Shelbys, prices are about the same (for now, at least). It's all about personal preference. Go see a Saleen, then go see a Shelby, then decide which is right for you.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jun 7 2006, 10:34 AM) 18725[/snapback]

Saleen S281 Supercharged is a 425 hp 4.6L V8 with 3-valve heads and 5-speed manual vs the Shelby GT500 with a 500 hp 5.4L V8 with 4-valve heads and 6-speed manual. Saleens cost a lot more per horsepower than a Shelby. Each looks and handles very well. Saleen MSRP is about $10-$20K higher than a comparably equipped Shelby, so with dealer ADM's on the Shelbys, prices are about the same (for now, at least). It's all about personal preference. Go see a Saleen, then go see a Shelby, then decide which is right for you.

The supercharged Saleen has a base price of $51,xxx. Some things I like better about the Saleen are overall looks, better seats, lighter, and more limited.

Pure hearsay, but I have heard that the Saleens do not have good resale value. This should be relatively easy to confirm if it has any basis in truth. I think the Shelby will have reasonably good resale value, but I expect it will be tough to recoup a big ADM once all the hype settles down.

I don't like the looks of the Saleens. I think they have way too much stuff on them, and the way they covered part of the rear taillights looks really cheap to me. I think i prefer the looks of the Roush stangs

The stage-3 Saleen (GT aluminum motor w/their own low-boost version of the Lysolhm/Whipple so you can't effectively over drive it) is also only 25HP away from the bottom-end design point of its base GT motor while the GT500's iron motor's bottom end is good to about 650Hp. The Saleens are 3350lbs due the extensive use of light replacement parts in the interior and the fact that the GT is 300lbs lighter to begin with. It's weight distribution is also 53/47 (I believe) vs the GT500's 56/44 or 57/43 depending o who you believe. But the Saleen stage-3 bases at $71,000 and you could add another $20,000 if you want the very best wheels and tires (gasp!). So, for my money, the GT500 is the hands down value leader, though the Saleen stage-3 might stay with it on a road course due to better balance and 1/4-ton less weight. I'll take the lower price and the all-from-Ford warranty.

The stage-3 Saleen (GT aluminum motor w/their own low-boost version of the Lysolhm/Whipple so you can't effectively over drive it) is also only 25HP away from the bottom-end design point of its base GT motor while the GT500's iron motor's bottom end is good to about 650Hp. The Saleens are 3350lbs due the extensive use of light replacement parts in the interior and the fact that the GT is 300lbs lighter to begin with. It's weight distribution is also 53/47 (I believe) vs the GT500's 56/44 or 57/43 depending o who you believe. But the Saleen stage-3 bases at $71,000 and you could add another $20,000 if you want the very best wheels and tires (gasp!). So, for my money, the GT500 is the hands down value leader, though the Saleen stage-3 might stay with it on a road course due to better balance and 1/4-ton less weight. I'll take the lower price and the all-from-Ford warranty.

The S281E (Extreme) bases at about 71. IT has built internals and is able to handle much more HP.

The S281E (Extreme) bases at about 71. IT has built internals and is able to handle much more HP.

Ah, yes, 5.4 Shelby, you are correct... diff rods/pistons/bearings, etc. thanks for catching my miss...

Archived