TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Future of Ford

69dejavue

Aside from Mustangs, I lost faith in Ford and especially Mercury about ten years ago. After driving nothing but Fords and Mercurys since getting my driver's license, I got fed up with the products and started buying elsewhere.

For pickups and SUVs, I now go with Dodges and Jeeps. For fun cars, I continue to dabble with Corvettes and other GM products such as the GTO. I can also see myself giving a long look to the Challenger when the novelty wears off (and prices come down) in a couple of years.

I am not going to worry about Ford or its ability to stage a comeback. It is up to them, not me. If they make a product that interests me, I will take a look at it.

Ford is now making some REALLY good units. as we all know the GT500 and SGT are great cars and fun to drive. the F150 is the BEST truck on the market. The new Edge is awesome. dont think we have had anyone drive it that didnt buy it. my wife has been driving F250s for 5 years and now she drives the Edge and LOVES it. This happens every few years. years ago Ford was the franchise to have, now its hard to give a Ford franchise away. Ford will be back, but i dont know when. of course this is just my .02 cents

michael morris

Ford is now making some REALLY good units. as we all know the GT500 and SGT are great cars and fun to drive. the F150 is the BEST truck on the market. The new Edge is awesome. dont think we have had anyone drive it that didnt buy it. my wife has been driving F250s for 5 years and now she drives the Edge and LOVES it. This happens every few years. years ago Ford was the franchise to have, now its hard to give a Ford franchise away. Ford will be back, but i dont know when. of course this is just my .02 cents

michael morris

I think Ford makes a number of very good vehicles. The Mustang, F-150 series, the Edge etc. The Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor is the industry standard for law enforcement, bar none! But no company can continue if they hemorhage 2.7 Billion losses. I hope the new Ford CEO from Boeing is able to make the necessary changes.

Aside from Mustangs, I lost faith in Ford and especially Mercury about ten years ago. After driving nothing but Fords and Mercurys since getting my driver's license, I got fed up with the products and started buying elsewhere.

For pickups and SUVs, I now go with Dodges and Jeeps. For fun cars, I continue to dabble with Corvettes and other GM products such as the GTO. I can also see myself giving a long look to the Challenger when the novelty wears off (and prices come down) in a couple of years.

I am not going to worry about Ford or its ability to stage a comeback. It is up to them, not me. If they make a product that interests me, I will take a look at it.

Have you driven a Ford lately???

Of all the American made vehicles on the road you choose the two worst vehicles made. Dodge Ram and Jeep! Now that is a real hoot! :hysterical2:

Have you driven a Ford lately???

Of all the American made vehicles on the road you choose the two worst vehicles made. Dodge Ram and Jeep! Now that is a real hoot! :hysterical2:

Like I said, I gave up on the blind faith mindset long ago. The automotive equivalent of jingoism does not serve anyone well.

Your childish, baseless mockery aside, both the Ram and the Jeep have proven to be outstanding vehicles, as were their predecessor Dodge products that we owned.

Have I driven a Ford lately? Yes. I own an SGT for Pete's sake. Further, we have test-driven Ford products whenever we look for a new vehicle.

Further still, I participated in a study a couple of months in which consumers were asked to examine, compare and review a future Hummer H2 with numerous other high-end pickups. Sadly, the interior materials in the $55k+ Ford pickup (aside from the leather seats,which were awesome) were embarrassingly cheap and plasticky compared to those in the similarly-priced Toyota, Cadillac, Hummer and GMC. You just can't use the same plastic in both a $15k truck and a $55k truck. This is only one little issue, but it shows a definite lack of attention to detail.

As an old Ford guy I knew the company honchos had lost it when they took the trend setting and top selling Ford Taurus and in one model year turned it into one of the ugliest cars on the market – carp sucking grill, ridiculous oval rear window and instrument cluster and weird body lines. My 1986 Taurus was the last Ford car I purchased until the 07 Mustang. I have always driven F150s and F250s along with Ford SUVs.

1. Ford lost over 5 billion in the same quarter last year so this years loss of 2.5 billion is quite an improvement but it is still a loss

2. I have driven both the Cherokee and the Explorer same year models and the Explorer is hand's down a better SUV IMO.

3. I love the F-150 but after the disaster wth the Ford 500 grill (now redesigned as the Taurus with a new grill!) they let the same Kook design last years Navigator - possibly the ugliest morph of a good looking car I ever witnessed - and also the grill on the new F-150. :banghead:

2. I have driven both the Cherokee and the Explorer same year models and the Explorer is hand's down a better SUV IMO.

I won't quibble with anyone on matters of personal preference. To each their own, of course. As for me, I tend to agree that the Explorer is nicer than the Cherokee, but my wife and I both really like her top-of-the-line Commander over the comparable Explorer. The interior materials and general quality are outstanding, and the hemi is a nice engine. I will readily concede that the gas mileage is abysmal, however.

I see no one has mentioned the Fusion, it is really a good looking car for its market. Quality is way up.

The problem is the foreign car manufacturer's control the automotive press and the word about quality does not get out. Besides the Shelby, I own a 2006 Lincoln Mark LT. There is nothing cheap about the interior in my view, and it placed near the top of one of the recent JD Power surveys for initial quality.

1. Ford lost over 5 billion in the same quarter last year so this years loss of 2.5 billion is quite an improvement but it is still a loss

3. I love the F-150 but after the disaster wth the Ford 500 grill (now redesigned as the Taurus with a new grill!) they let the same Kook design last years Navigator - possibly the ugliest morph of a good looking car I ever witnessed - and also the grill on the new F-150. :banghead:

Ya the Navigator reminds me of Sparky's car in National Lampoon's Vacation movie. I swear they looked at that station wagon and designed the Navigator. really butt ugly.

I do like the Edge, my wife and I are plaaning on getting one, we drove it and loved, howevber the gas mileage is disappointing. That is the only thing that has held us off from taking one home. So far we haven't found another brand that we like as well as the Edge. I believe we are all going to be paying 4 bucks a gallon soon. yikes.

Ya the Navigator reminds me of Sparky's car in National Lampoon's Vacation movie. I swear they looked at that station wagon and designed the Navigator. really butt ugly.

I do like the Edge, my wife and I are plaaning on getting one, we drove it and loved, howevber the gas mileage is disappointing. That is the only thing that has held us off from taking one home. So far we haven't found another brand that we like as well as the Edge. I believe we are all going to be paying 4 bucks a gallon soon. yikes.

I have a 2002 Eddie Bauer v8 explorer and a 1998 4.6L XLT ranger in addition to the SGT and these are some of the best problem free vehicles I have ever owned. I am probably looking at an Edge to replace the Explorer at some point. I agree with you that the Edge fuel efficiency is lacking, Otherwise it seems to be a great vehicle. I will always look at Ford first but would consider other brands if they meet my requirements better.

Fusion VS Honda accord ?

Well here's one of the problems with Ford. My son age 27 a graduate of Ga Tech and all his friends do not drive a single Ford product.Recently he was in the market for a new car . Since our family is able to purchase on the A -Plan he took a fusion home for the night. He was not impressed at all. He ended up buying a 2008 Honda accord for not much more money then the fusion . I looked @ both cars and the accord was by far much nicer period. He spent the time to test drive a Ford and came away not impressed. His 30 or so friends won't even bother.They all drive imports and you can't get them in a Ford showroom. This age group of college grads is lost to Ford. Well thats what i see and it isn't good news for Fords turn-around .

Guest markham51

Its not difficult to pick apart any of the US based manufacturers, they have all done poorly in the past decade for sure. I think Ford has its focus back and has hired some very talented design people away from the competition. Ill always pull for them to be succesful, FORDS ARE IN MY BLOOD. The question in my mind is simple, do they have enough time and money to turn their financial situation around when the market is so competitive? Even mpre importantly...can it be turned around? I dont think so. You cant save your way into profitability when they are saddled with so many past liabilities.

IMHO Ford needs to merge with another key player with credentials in the car segment such as Nissan or Honda to survive long term. Ford's core competencies (trucks) and its foothold in Europe coupled with the competencies and long term thinking of a suucessful manufacturer with synergistic competencies would prove to be the best solution long term. I think Ford has the competencies to turn things around, and the desire I just dont think they can change the momentum quickly enough with the consumer who has so many more choices today. The net/net...I dont think Ford will survive in its current configuration. Its too far gone without a merger with someone where the synergies outweigh the past financial burdens it currently carries.

It was announced yesterday that Ford lost 2.7 Billion in 2007. We must all consider what the future is of the company and future vehicles.

The rest of the story, though, was reported by NPR. It was, generally, supportive of the direction Ford is going, particularly in terms of the new product development and the efforts to control costs. Last Friday, NPR also interviewed the new head of Ford, cannot remember his name but he comes from Boeing. His plan is a multi-year plan with a phase in of new products that consumers will desire, along with the cost cutting measures. Jim

I've come full circle, back to Fords. They were the cars I grew up with and that's all I owned until 1981. Then I began to try several other makes, mostly foreign, over the years. Now we have an '06 Expedition, an '07 Shelby and an '08 Honda Civic (our commuter). The Civic might have been a Focus but Ford could not come near the lease deal that Honda did.

The rest of the story, though, was reported by NPR. It was, generally, supportive of the direction Ford is going, particularly in terms of the new product development and the efforts to control costs. Last Friday, NPR also interviewed the new head of Ford, cannot remember his name but he comes from Boeing. His plan is a multi-year plan with a phase in of new products that consumers will desire, along with the cost cutting measures. Jim

the new pres and ceo is Alan Mulally. i have emailed him and he acutally email me back! seems like a great guy and i believe he can bring us back.

someone mentioned the Fusion earlier. i forgot that car. i would put it up against any import apples to apples. it is a GREAT car.

i have never been much of a gloom and doom guy, so i dont think im able to say Ford wont be OK.

i read all of Mr Mulallys report, yes Ford lost 2.7 BILLION (alot of money!!), but it was 9.9 BILLION better than last year. i think thats a pretty good turn around. the letter also stated that ALL of Ford was profitable EXCEPT North America. Hold on Boys this is going to be a fun ride

michael morris

michael morris

+1 MIKE

I have never seen a better line up of Ford cars and trucks in my 15 years with Ford. The F-150 is the absolute best truck on the market and finally we have some great cars to go with our truck line !! For those who havent driven a Edge ... its a incredible vehicle

Like Mike said .. if you havent driven a Edge or Fusion ... they are some of the best vehicles on the road right now !! .. With fords direct injection 3.5 motors ... that are being tested right now ... they will give u more power and better fuel efficency ... this in conjunction with fords new 6 spd auto trannys .... you'll see fuel economy going WAY up on future ford cars ! :happy feet:

michael morris

+1

Ford has a great line-up right now. Great new styles and quality.

I cut my driving teeth on a Chevy, but when it came time for serious racing, I went with Ford. That was 1970.

Once I became a LEO, I got a chance to sample all the "big 3" at one time, Chrysler, Ford and Chevy. By "sample" I mean beat the living daylights out of them. The eraly/mid 80's Chevys did okay, and ended up owning a few in those years, my last being a 1987 Caprice.

In 1990, the fleet went all Ford, and again, I got to "sample" the product long term. Thus, I bought my first Ford product in many years, and I haven't looked back. Crown Vics, Town Cars, Mountaineers, Marauders, and so on.

Half the deal here is customer service. Not only on the sales floor, but in service and parts, and I've been a patron of my small neighborhood L/M dealership for over 20 years. I've had very few serious mechanical problems, but I like to "personalize" my car with mods, and the service is outstanding. I really don't care what may break on my SGT, I know I'm in good hands. This has a lot to do with return customers, and I'm willing to bet that Ford's return customer index is a lot higher than of brands.

BTW...Is it not true that a sucessful corporation in the American economy is supposed to operate at a loss? The IRS seems to think so, IMHO.

I've come full circle, back to Fords. They were the cars I grew up with and that's all I owned until 1981. Then I began to try several other makes, mostly foreign, over the years. Now we have an '06 Expedition, an '07 Shelby and an '08 Honda Civic (our commuter). The Civic might have been a Focus but Ford could not come near the lease deal that Honda did.

I'm curious, what was the lease deal on the Honda?

Ford is running a lease deal on the Focus for only $169 and only $189 on Fusion

How much was the Civic lease deal?

Fusion VS Honda accord ?

Well here's one of the problems with Ford. My son age 27 a graduate of Ga Tech and all his friends do not drive a single Ford product.Recently he was in the market for a new car . Since our family is able to purchase on the A -Plan he took a fusion home for the night. He was not impressed at all. He ended up buying a 2008 Honda accord for not much more money then the fusion . I looked @ both cars and the accord was by far much nicer period. He spent the time to test drive a Ford and came away not impressed. His 30 or so friends won't even bother.They all drive imports and you can't get them in a Ford showroom. This age group of college grads is lost to Ford. Well thats what i see and it isn't good news for Fords turn-around .

Yep, herein lies the problem...hope they get a lure for the younger crowd, before its too late. Personally, the appeal of a Honda is lost on me. My friend did buy a new focus and its great! She loves it.

The economy is a bad way,It's an election year,Things aren't going to get much better for the auto industry this year.A glimmer of hope for the consumer is that there are no ADM's on Bullitts in my area.That is not good for Ford because they are still sitting on the dealers lots!Every new car has problems.It's really hard to pick one manufacturer over another.I've owned a few fro each of the big three and there were problems with all of them.The only new car I purchased that I was totally pleased with was built in Australia,Anybody want to guess it?Things will come back,They have to!BTW it was the GTO,At 30K,It was the fastest,Most well built and wisely priced car that a lot of us missed the boat on.Some times marketing kills a car,And or a company.Not just quality.Chrysler products are notoriously shipped to the public to allow the consumer to do the final R and D,Trust me on this!I've had four new Ram trucks with the last two 03 and 04 being the most problematic and the dealer service consisted of"No problem found" or better yet"Chrysler realizes there is a problem in that area but doesn't have a fix for it right now" nice,Real nice.Hence no more Chrysler products for me!

I'm curious, what was the lease deal on the Honda?

Ford is running a lease deal on the Focus for only $169 and only $189 on Fusion

How much was the Civic lease deal?

I worked up a lease deal on a 4 cylinder fusion ... auto ... customer total cash including all start ups came to 199 a mth which included tax ....most lease payments will be the base payment .. no state or local sales tax ..

any commercial is usually a base payment.

There are some really good lease rates right now. Example ... the mustang residual for a 10500 mile lease is 65 % .... for a 65 % residual for a ford product ... thats killer :happy feet:

I see no one has mentioned the Fusion, it is really a good looking car for its market. Quality is way up.

the wifey has one of these and for the money, you cant go wrong. safety and overall bad ass car. ( black of course) ( the fastest color) :headspin:

When I got my 08 SGT, we were also in the market for a car for our 16yo daughter, and I did want to introduce our kids to American built cars, so despite the Hondas looking really good & holding value better, we got her a Focus, which she loves & is a great little car. Hopefully Ford will continue to dig out of their hole and that more & more people will give them a try. I'll admit that getting two cars at once helped a bit on the price of both, which was an added incentive, but main incentive was to get more Fords in the family since I have been SO impressed with the quality of the SGT. My last car was on 04 Vette, & the SGT has it beat inside & out in terms of quality feel.

i dont think ford as a whole is in trouble. NOW thats not to say ford NA isnt hurting or close to it. i think if they could bring some of the cars they make overseas to the US they could pick up a much better share of the market. has anyone driven or seen the strait axle rangers they make for the overseas market its the one we need here it would out sell anything else in its class easy and it can be had with a deasel(sp?). i would also love to see the falcon from australia in a 4 door and rancharo set up. its probaly to much to ask but a real focus st or rs would get the younger kids involved. maybe its just me but i think these few cars/trucks would swing the market un the us way twords ford.

Archived