TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cool Photo

sharon

Maybe they were drunk when they were getting it ready for the strip and got them backwards. :hysterical:

Drunk maybe that night but not at the racetrack ;)

That is Lynn's 1987 Shelby GLHS from SoCal. And yes the tires are on backwards because the wrong wheels are propelling the car.

Lynn brought a full rig with him to Vegas and was kind enough to offer to drive his 'S' car back to L.A. when another SoCal Team Shelby member decided to grenade his tranny at the drags. Lynn offered his trailer to the wounded 1986 'S' car which was a very generous offer. Anybody willing to drive a 21 year old modified L body from Vegas to L.A. is a braver person than I.

Lynn also has a SRT-10 Viper Ram Truck that turns the correct wheels. It's in a subdued silver paint but is well known at the Irwindale track.

Steve

post-11184-1201194795_thumb.jpgpost-11184-1201194293_thumb.jpgpost-108-1123612468_thumb.jpgpost-11184-1201194607_thumb.jpgpost-11184-1201194681_thumb.jpg

Think this better descibes FWD in racing. Crawford dominated in Rally and got 6 straight wins at pikes peak. Would have got 7 straight but a freak hail storm robbed him, you get to run last if your the fastest in qualifing. Crawfords FWD 3,100 lb 8v 4 cylinder was 12 minutes faster than Stillens AWD 16v intercooled turbo GTX. Millen was second to last up the hill and the last one to run in the dry, Crawford ate the hail and got second place 2 minutes behind Millen. God didn't think it was fair for the US to beat up on Japan 7 years in a row. During the Neon SRT 4 years Crawford again dominated but in class 5 as they don't race AWD vs FWD in the same class, he did very well overall finishing very high for an old timer. My brother and his friend clay both have SRT 4s. Both with stock boost and better intercoolers I added both run 12.7 @ 110 &111 MPH on pump gas and no bottle. Both run SCCA all the time and have aftermarket Eiback pro kit springs and Konis. Both have strut tower bars and all poly suspension and the alignment setup right. SRTs have instant boost and both cars have 380-400 W ft lbs on a dyno. My wore out 89 CSX with wasted bushings and cheap struts and a horrid alignment with .5 pos camber is faster in a road course. With the giant rubber bushings removed and todays tires alone the handling of the old SDs is unbelievable. The 89 CSX is in ASP no less, which should be unfair but o well. I know Mike Demoss runs 10.8s with his street 87 GLHS and Stephans runs 8.0s, but the FWD cars are handling cars first. If this snow goes away and I can get to work I may make it to the silver state classic this year, been dying to go for years.

post-11184-1201194565_thumb.jpg

post-11184-1201194293_thumb.jpg

post-11184-1201194565_thumb.jpg

post-11184-1201194607_thumb.jpg

post-11184-1201194681_thumb.jpg

post-11184-1201194795_thumb.jpg

I like this photo from the Drag Strip

That is a cool photo! :)

Why are the back tires so skinny, and the front's wide ?

I don't drag race. Is that normal ?

Awesome pic! Yes, normal for a front wheel drive car. It is a bit different being pulled through the qtr mile as opposed to pushing yourself through. Traction is tough but I've seen 1.3 second sixty foot times and I've done a 1.6 on "small" slicks. Believe it or not, a wheelie bar also helps.

Drunk maybe that night but not at the racetrack ;)

That is Lynn's 1987 Shelby GLHS from SoCal. And yes the tires are on backwards because the wrong wheels are propelling the car.

Lynn brought a full rig with him to Vegas and was kind enough to offer to drive his 'S' car back to L.A. when another SoCal Team Shelby member decided to grenade his tranny at the drags. Lynn offered his trailer to the wounded 1986 'S' car which was a very generous offer. Anybody willing to drive a 21 year old modified L body from Vegas to L.A. is a braver person than I.

Lynn also has a SRT-10 Viper Ram Truck that turns the correct wheels. It's in a subdued silver paint but is well known at the Irwindale track.

Steve

It’s actually not that bad a long haul driver. I bought an 87 GLHS on my way to the Mid-America Shelby meet in Tulsa back in 1998 or 99. My wife kept telling me how great these cars were so I entertained the idea of stopping outside of Oklahoma City and checking it out. While my wife had bought one new back in 87, I had always had Mustangs and no experience with front wheel drive turbo 4 cylinders though I did own a 1979 Indy Pace car Mustang with the 2.3l turbo (RWD). It was an eye popping experience. The guy let me really beat on it and that car planted me in the seat. I was both horrified and delighted. Horrified that this car would easily take my Boss 302 in qtr mile and road coarse and delighted that I was going to buy it and bring it to the "Shelby" meet. So we bought it and I had fun with it beating on some lightning trucks and late model Mustangs. To bad I didn't see a KR running around. :hysterical: The stares I got at the Hilton parking lot made it worth every penny. :hysterical2: Anyway, the car was a great road car. With the adjustable Konis, you can lighten them up a bit and the seat is very cushy. Driving it back to Houston we got about 38mpg. That’s right, keep out of boost and in vacuum just cruising....behind my trailer....and its like the car never needed filling up: Made it tough to coordinate fuel stops. Another great thing about them is that they are probably the only Shelby you would want as a daily driver...and I mean DAILY driver. Typically, you can get 30mpg and 300 HP. Not many Shelby's or other cars can do that and don't get me started on HP / cubic inch. If you haven't played with one of these cars yet, you are missing out. At a minimum they are a great first car experience and you'd be surprised what you come to know about them in a short period of time. What true Shelby collection could you have and not have a Shelby Dodge?

It’s actually not that bad a long haul driver. I bought an 87 GLHS on my way to the Mid-America Shelby meet in Tulsa back in 1998 or 99.

James don't forget the car and YOU were 10 years younger back then ;)

A long trip in a 21 year old UN-restored 'L' body can be a pain. Besides the rattles, the hard suspension, you may be forgetting about the sunburn you will get from the sunroof and thats with it closed.

I currently own 2 'S' cars and have owned 2 previous 'S' cars. You either love 'L' bodies or you hate them. I love them.

Now you add to the equation the amount of high performance modifications Lynn has performed to his car and that's where I came up with that he was a brave soul for making such a generous offer.

So yes 'L' bodies can be driven long distances but I'll leave that up to the younger guys.

Steve

PS- Ahh the 1979 2.3 Turbo Mustang. Although the SVO Mustang turned out to be a decent car it was a 1979 Mercury Capri Turbo RS that had me running to GM's 3.8 turbo cars. My experience with the Capri Turbo also steered me to a 1983 Mustang GT 5.0 4bbl 5spd car.

• 2 weeks later...
What's the red cone for? Is that a signal to have it towed?

Just a joke folks. That's one of the SoCal guys 1986 Shelby GLHS looking mighty good amongst its cousins.

Steve

It looks like 1 GLHS in a sea of Mustangs, but look closer, the GLHS is not alone in there :redcard:

Archived