TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Car Hauler Trailer

adamsshelby

Yes, I have one for my Shelby GT. I went with a Diamond Trailer brand. It is lightweight and very durable. I went with the 8.5 by 24 foot size. I wish I went with the side door as it was an option for about $350. I didn't go with it since I didn't think I needed it because the wheel wells were too high. I've since realized that I can (and will) raise the floor with a few 2x4's and some more plywood. That will clear the wheel wells.

Make sure you get 6 inch aluminum frames. I use a 2004 F150 Lariat which handles the load fine. An F250 is better. Also make sure you go with 5200 lb axles rather than the 3500 lb axles.

Look in my picture sites for pics of my setup.

By the way, with my blog, website, email and myspace accounts all named adamsshelbygt, I can see that a lot of people will confuse us going forward. This ought to be fun LOL.

Good luck with your trailer. I drove down to Douglas GA from Boston to pick up my trailer. My friend Roger went with me.

Yes, 8.5x24 is the size you want to go with, and of course a side door. That way when it rains you can pull your car in and have enough room in front for all your stuff, or a place to have a few beers with a couple of close friends. Mine is a Haulmark and my second one, my first one I had for 10 years, and paid like 3500.00 and sold it for 4000.00 so if you take care of them they hold there value pretty well.

I have to second Adam I have the same size and same side door issue....I didn't get it either and added a remote winch instead of raising the floor. There is plenty of storage room in the front for tool boxes (secured to wall and floor) and show materials. Don't know about others, but I preferred the V-nose. Went to Ohio and picked it up with my 2006 F-150, no problem handling the weight. Here are some pictures:

Linda (a.k.a Neil's wife!)

By the way, with my blog, website, email and myspace accounts all named adamsshelbygt, I can see that a lot of people will confuse us going forward. This ought to be fun LOL.

Yeah I thought you cahgned your screen name when I saw a post of theirs for the first time yesterday.

I have to second Adam I have the same size and same side door issue....I didn't get it either and added a remote winch instead of raising the floor. There is plenty of storage room in the front for tool boxes (secured to wall and floor) and show materials. Don't know about others, but I preferred the V-nose. Went to Ohio and picked it up with my 2006 F-150, no problem handling the weight. Here are some pictures:

Linda and Neil

Wow, that's a sweet truck!

Love the stickers on the trailer too.

I considered the V-nose too, but I prefer to have my generator welded to the front frame so I needed that extra space.

Chris, yeah, I think a lot of people will get confused. It will be fun though.

I went with a Featherlite 8x24. It pull's great and is one of the best. I put a winch in mine. it works great to load. I all so pull it with a 07 F-350. My F-150 would have pullied it fine but it was a good reason for me to by a new truck. Wife sometime's questions what was wrong with the other one. I told her it was a safty issue because the dual in the back help with sway. And if you have a flat you can control it better getting off the road. She said sure!!! It worked anyway!!!

But all joking aside a dual rear wheel truck helps when towing. I have done both and never had problems. Just have to make sure you keep the tire pressure checked on both the truck and trailer. All so keep up with the maintenace on the trail.

has anyone purchased a car hauler trailer for their shelby gt500?

If yes, what brand and model have you gone with, and what have you found out what works best.

Comments greatly appreaciated.

Like others have mentioned get one with a side door.

Also get the most trailer you can afford even if it means buying used. It's almost impossible to buy too much trailer. Trying to add improvments onto a cheaper trailer will cost you more in the long run.

Steve

PS- Duallys are always great but a 3/4 ton truck will work fine.

Archived