TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stock SGT mufflers

I'm just curious on the FRPP that Shelby puts on teh SGT, you can order them from Ford Racing, but the typ of steel that they use is not full stainless and it states that you will get surface rust on the body of the muffler (not the tips). Can anybody chime in on how their mufflers are fairing, and if in fact they are rusting. Is it very noticable?

The M-5230-GTA mufflers are T-409 stainless steel bodies. Tips are chromed steel, and inlet pipes are "aluminumized" steel, meaning it has the strength of steel, and the resistance to corrosion of aluminum.

Anytime you break into this coating by welding, it becomes a weak spot open to corrosion. This is why everything is clamped together.

Even this coating will change colors, from heat, salt, and other weather conditions. However, if you're really into bling, all of it polishes up real nice for a show car. From the manifolds back, get out your polishing materials and go to town. All of it can have a chromed look. Quite impressive, but requires upkeep.

I'm just curious on the FRPP that Shelby puts on teh SGT, you can order them from Ford Racing, but the typ of steel that they use is not full stainless and it states that you will get surface rust on the body of the muffler (not the tips). Can anybody chime in on how their mufflers are fairing, and if in fact they are rusting. Is it very noticable?

I didnt have any problems with any type of rust or spots or anything for that matter , i think they state that just in case it does happen!!! i had the origanals on my Shelby for about 6months and live near the bay where under rust is always a problem due to salt ,but i wanted a deeper tone and had FM origanal40's put on and love them !!!!

A little while back there was a rash of people complaining about their GTA's they got from Ford Racing to upgrade their regular Mustangs. I think there may have been an issue with the metal used in that batch or whatever......I have had mine on my GT since early October and they look fine no surface rust or anything.

Gib

I didnt have any problems with any type of rust or spots or anything for that matter , i think they state that just in case it does happen!!! i had the origanals on my Shelby for about 6months and live near the bay where under rust is always a problem due to salt ,but i wanted a deeper tone and had FM origanal40's put on and love them !!!!

+1

They sound wicked!

quick question will the shelby exhaust tips on spp web site fit on the SGT

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...ust%20tips.aspx

i plan on getting the flowmaster super 44 if anyone has this type of set up i would appreciate your input

thanks

When i installed the 40's, i just had the stock Shelby Gt tips installed onto the 40's. Looks completely "Shelby" stock.

Video of Flow Master 40's:

Flow Masters on Ed's SGT

Give it a minute to download. Have your volume up!

When i installed the 40's, i just had the stock Shelby Gt tips installed onto the 40's. Looks completely "Shelby" stock.

Flow Masters on Ed's SGT

I thought I read somewhere that the 44s wouldn't fit on the Shelby, due to the lowering? I am trying to figure what to put on mine. The muffler guy I go to recommends magnaflows... So many choices. The 40s sure sounded good in the clip.

RP

I thought I read somewhere that the 44s wouldn't fit on the Shelby, due to the lowering? I am trying to figure what to put on mine. The muffler guy I go to recommends magnaflows... So many choices. The 40s sure sounded good in the clip.

RP

Here is a site that has alot of clips from different companys and then you can get a better idea. They are re doing some things so they are not all there but, Maybe help you out....

http://www.mustangexhaust.com/index.php?op...7&Itemid=77

I thought I read somewhere that the 44s wouldn't fit on the Shelby, due to the lowering?

It's not the lower stance, but a change in rear facia on the SGT. All of the aftermarket mufflers are designed to fit a stock Mustang/Mustang GT. When you order something, order for a GT 500, it has the same rear facia and exhaust system geometery.

Mine are rusting on the tips\outlets. When it stops snowing and such ill see if i can get them cleaned up a bit.

Flow Masters on Ed's SGT

Ed, love the sound especially when you crank her up! Do the Flowmasters bolt right up to the stock SGT exhaust or do you have to modify some? What about the cost? Thanks,

Dave

Ed, love the sound especially when you crank her up! Do the Flowmasters bolt right up to the stock SGT exhaust or do you have to modify some? What about the cost? Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

I had them installed at the local muffler shop, did a nice job. Then had them install the Stock tips also. Looks like a stock installation.

Total cost was 220 bucks

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting fact or rumor, I'm not sure.

The guy that was at the Borla Exhaust booth at the Birthday Bash told me the Borla makes the mufflers for our FORD Shelby GTs.

The M-5230-GTA mufflers on the SGT are made by Supreme Performance / Maremont. Borla makes the M-5230-5GT 49 state legal mufflers.

Archived