TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Baer Rotors, SS brake lines and Hawk Pads

Don't know how many of you have made it over from the other forum, but I promised in a thread there to report about my SGT brake upgrades after Vegas. If you remember I upgraded to OEM sized Baer drilled and slotted rotors, SS brake lines and Hawk performance street pads. It was approx. $800 for parts + labor if you need that. No wheel swap was necessary this way.

The on track performance of the car was excellent. Even though I didn't get a chance to drive it really hard on the track, my overall feeling was that the brakes performed better and I expereinced no fade either.

Sunday morning we got to drive the car pretty hard over some unnamed roads north of Vegas and we really felt the difference in the brakes. The brake pedal was harder and we were definately able to puch the car deeper into corners while relying on the stopping power. NO fade.

The upgrade package that we put together was worth it, due to the small cost and the extra savings of not having to change to larger wheels and tires.

-Tim-

RIHarley here and the "other" forum

Hopefully, some day our ShelbyAutos posts will be moved over as promised. I'm sure it is an IT nightmare.

Don't know how many of you have made it over from the other forum, but I promised in a thread there to report about my SGT brake upgrades after Vegas. If you remember I upgraded to OEM sized Baer drilled and slotted rotors, SS brake lines and Hawk performance street pads. It was approx. $800 for parts + labor if you need that. No wheel swap was necessary this way.

The on track performance of the car was excellent. Even though I didn't get a chance to drive it really hard on the track, my overall feeling was that the brakes performed better and I expereinced no fade either.

Sunday morning we got to drive the car pretty hard over some unnamed roads north of Vegas and we really felt the difference in the brakes. The brake pedal was harder and we were definately able to puch the car deeper into corners while relying on the stopping power. NO fade.

The upgrade package that we put together was worth it, due to the small cost and the extra savings of not having to change to larger wheels and tires.

-Tim-

Hopefully, some day our ShelbyAutos posts will be moved over as promised. I'm sure it is an IT nightmare.

Thanks for the update!

Could please tell us where you purchased your parts for your brake upgrade? Also, which brand of SS brake lines did you use.

I think a lot of us made it over and I was waiting for your opinion as this may be a future mod for me. I second the question on wether or not you feel it would be adequate with a Supercharger. I do not see why not, but thought I would ask. At the end of the day, we can go just as fast as a Supercharged car, they just get there faster. That said, I never really understood how the 2 are talked about so often, am I missing something?????????

BUMP!

Sorry I had links in the other SAI forum for the parts.

:banghead:

The rotors came from BAER from Summitt Racing

The SS brake lines were from Steeda

Hawk pads are available most places.

It was a simple upgrade

Not sure if the swap I did will be good enough for S/C cars..... duuno try it out and see if u hit the wall. need more facts. Let me borrow your S/C car and I will tell you.

It was a simple upgrade

Not sure if the swap I did will be good enough for S/C cars..... duuno try it out and see if u hit the wall. need more facts. Let me borrow your S/C car and I will tell you.

np...Thanks!

It was a simple upgrade

I don't think these brakes will bolt up to my 56, but thanks anyway. :shift:

I second the question on wether or not you feel it would be adequate with a Supercharger. I do not see why not, but thought I would ask. At the end of the day, we can go just as fast as a Supercharged car, they just get there faster. That said, I never really understood how the 2 are talked about so often, am I missing something?????????

I agree. The two topics are often cross threaded, and I don't understand why.

Supercharging doesn't make the SGT any faster, it just gets you faster quicker. For this reason, improved braking is essential for the street and shorts bursts under highway speeds. Once you're into the boost, you have to be prepared to stop quicker too. If you're planning on trackig the car, a brake improvement is prudent, but you don't need supercharging for that.

Looking at the science, braking is about gross weight in motion and how to control that. A supercharger adds 80-100 pounds to the nose of the car. Not enough, IMHO, to justify a brake upgrade.

But it's a handy excuse for the wifey...

I agree. The two topics are often cross threaded, and I don't understand why.

Supercharging doesn't make the SGT any faster, it just gets you faster quicker. For this reason, improved braking is essential for the street and shorts bursts under highway speeds. Once you're into the boost, you have to be prepared to stop quicker too. If you're planning on trackig the car, a brake improvement is prudent, but you don't need supercharging for that.

Looking at the science, braking is about gross weight in motion and how to control that. A supercharger adds 80-100 pounds to the nose of the car. Not enough, IMHO, to justify a brake upgrade.

But it's a handy excuse for the wifey...

Ever ride a Norton 750 cammando? Too much power not enough brake. More braking would make the s/c more fun to utilize thats all.

-Tim-

Thanks for that info. I really like the wheels that i have now. Great to know there is another option.

Thanks......

Ever ride a Norton 750 cammando? Too much power not enough brake. More braking would make the s/c more fun to utilize thats all.

Yes, sir, I have. I owned and drove a Notron Commando all summer long, the summers of of 1969 and 1970. One very fast motorcycle, BSA and Triumph couldn't touch them, and Hondas were still pedal pushers. However, the two stroke Suzuki X6 "Hustler" was coming on strong.

Capable of astounding performance in a short distance, the "drum" style brakes were insufficient for stopping power. Hit them hard enough, and the spokes would puncture the tubes. Been there, did that, thanks for the memories.

This is exactly the point I'm trying to make here. The "under 60" MPH on the street stopping power is as critical as overall "power to weight" ratio. The quicker you get from a standing start, the quicker you may need to stop forward movement, and the Norton Commando is yet another example of failure.

The rationale for a big brake kit is to match the "start" with the "stop". Therefore, if you're just cruising on the highway, the OEM brakes are more than adequate. Stopping a 3400 pound car from 60-70-80-90 MPH is the same problem for them all, and the presence of a supercharger has nothing to do with the co-efficient of friction between the tires and the pavement, or, the efficiency of the stock brake system. However, getting to 60 MPH in the space you should be doing 40 MPH on the street, brakes are everything.

Thanks for helping me make my point.

BTW...Why pick on me for a quote? I'm not the only one to question this.

-Tim-

For that price, I'm assuming you only did the fronts?

For that price, I'm assuming you only did the fronts?

Now that the post are moved over, here's my original post....

Here is what I have ordered in the past few days.

Everything should be installed next week , just in time for the Vegas.

My goals were to retain the stock wheels for looks and to save money on not having to replace the wheels and tires with 20”. I like the 18” ride and the 20” ride is different, enough said. I wanted to stop better and occasionally autocross on the weekend, without excessive brake fade. Hopefully, this combination will be the right choice for me.

Replace front and rear rotors with OEM replacement Bear rotors drilled and slotted, 3 yr warranty.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...10002_841479_-1

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...10002_841480_-1

Stopflex Stainless braided brake lines for better pedal pressure.

http://www.steeda.com/products/stainless_s...brake_hoses.php

Hawk HPS Pads

http://www.americanmuscle.com/hawk-2005-20...brake-pads.html

Total of about $800 in parts. + labor if you need to pay it. Hopefully, it will all fit with no issues. I'll find out next week. Of course if it works really well, don't expect me to tell the truth!

Later upgrades will be front and rear brake ducts as soon as they are available from SPP.

That’s it. See you at the track!

-Tim-

Now that the post are moved over, here's my original post....

Here is what I have ordered in the past few days.

Everything should be installed next week , just in time for the Vegas.

My goals were to retain the stock wheels for looks and to save money on not having to replace the wheels and tires with 20”. I like the 18” ride and the 20” ride is different, enough said. I wanted to stop better and occasionally autocross on the weekend, without excessive brake fade. Hopefully, this combination will be the right choice for me.

Replace front and rear rotors with OEM replacement Bear rotors drilled and slotted, 3 yr warranty.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...10002_841479_-1

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...10002_841480_-1

Stopflex Stainless braided brake lines for better pedal pressure.

http://www.steeda.com/products/stainless_s...brake_hoses.php

Hawk HPS Pads

Total of about $800 in parts. + labor if you need to pay it. Hopefully, it will all fit with no issues. I'll find out next week. Of course if it works really well, don't expect me to tell the truth!

Later upgrades will be front and rear brake ducts as soon as they are available from SPP.

That’s it. See you at the track!

-Tim-

Thanks Tim!

I ordered almost the exact same package from Speed Inc. They have a pretty good deal, pus no tax and free shipping.

Vehicle Information

2007: Ford Mustang GT

qty item no description cost total

1 BAER99189-020 Baer Declarotor Front Pair - S197 Mustang $279.99 $279.99

1 BAER99192-020 Baer Declarotor Rear Pair - S197 Mustang $237.99 $237.99

1 HB484F.670 Hawk Performance Pads - S197 Mustang GT - Front $75.99 $75.99

1 HB485F.656 Hawk Performance Pads - S197 Mustang GT - Rear $60.99 $60.99

1 EARL28B600 Earl Braided Brake Hose Kit - S197 Mustang GT $99.99 $99.99

Coupon ($0.00)

8.75% IL Resident Tax

Tax $0.00

UPS Ground

Shipping $0.00

Insurance $4.90

Payment Info: **** **** **** 5243 Exp: 05/10 V:492 Total Charged $759.85

Thanks Tim!

I ordered almost the exact same package from Speed Inc. They have a pretty good deal, pus no tax and free shipping.

Vehicle Information

2007: Ford Mustang GT

qty item no description cost total

1 BAER99189-020 Baer Declarotor Front Pair - S197 Mustang $279.99 $279.99

1 BAER99192-020 Baer Declarotor Rear Pair - S197 Mustang $237.99 $237.99

1 HB484F.670 Hawk Performance Pads - S197 Mustang GT - Front $75.99 $75.99

1 HB485F.656 Hawk Performance Pads - S197 Mustang GT - Rear $60.99 $60.99

1 EARL28B600 Earl Braided Brake Hose Kit - S197 Mustang GT $99.99 $99.99

Coupon ($0.00)

8.75% IL Resident Tax

Tax $0.00

UPS Ground

Shipping $0.00

Insurance $4.90

Payment Info: **** **** **** 5243 Exp: 05/10 V:492 Total Charged $759.85

Cool! Good Luck . I really liked the performance of the package. I can't wait until the snow melts and I can get the car out oagain.

-Tim-

Has anyone ever had any issues with cross drilled and slotted rotors? I am thinking about that same package mentioned above, but I have heard that cross drilled and slotted rotors crack under intense heat. Anyone experience the cracking or any reviews on these rotors?

Adam

Has anyone ever had any issues with cross drilled and slotted rotors? I am thinking about that same package mentioned above, but I have heard that cross drilled and slotted rotors crack under intense heat. Anyone experience the cracking or any reviews on these rotors?

Adam

I haven't, but Baer rotors come with a 3 year warranty against cracking.

Archived