TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Interesting info on driving skill

upi.com/Driving skill falling " A poll of U.S. drivers shows that some 18 million licensed drivers would fail a state driver's test if they had to retake one. " This goes to something that has been bothering me for a while now. I wonder how many folks are supremely unqualified to drive a 500 horse car. Based on the lousy drivers I am forced to share the roads with(I travel a lot) I am really worried that the accident rate with the new gen muscle cars is going to do the same thing it did in the 70's. When I bought my COBRA I already had a performance driving course.(Bondurant) I took a further one after I bought the car. I found that it increased my use and joy in the car(even if it makes me cry just how bad the average idiot is). I would be curious to know how many of you want or think you need one.

An interesting question, Jet. (as most of your's are!)

Let me take it a step further.

What sort of driving school would one want/need for this car?

Drag racing? It's got the engine/drivetrain - and a lot of folks are going to "kick it up a notch" for just that purpose.

Road course school? My humble instinct is that this choice will not apply to the vast majority of Shelby buyers. (although we could ALL use a great defensive driving course) And some will buy the Man Racer to compete.

My take is this car is better suited to stop-light encounters and serious drag racing.

I'd be interested in a combination defensive driving/drag racing course. I don't want to hurt myself, or anyone else, and I'd like to learn the best way to launch/shift the car in case some aggressive...competitor needs a lesson at a light. :shift:

Attended Bondurant School for three day course as well. When my build certificate for my 93 Cobra arrived, it had a 20% discount on the school enclosed. I jumped at it to say the least. Absolutely has saved my sorry ass many times over driving on the roads. Am planning a refresher course somewhere, and soon. Too bad Ford is no longer tied in with Bondurant - that would be great.

OBTW, at least when I took the Bondurant course, they discounted the Summer months for obvious reasons. The heat was tolerable (at least for me, a transplanted New Englander) despite being in the 110+ range all three days because of the low humidity and hourly mandatory water breaks. Don't blow it off automatically - when the adrenalin gets pumping you tune out most other stuff.

Went to Skip Barber for my graduation present from my dad. Driving on a skidpad with a dakota r/t learning how to hold the tail out, not correcting the slide too early as to shoot to the outside of the corner, or oncoming traffic if you're crazy enough to do this stuff in traffic. A neon on the the road course, then a viper on the skid pad and the road course. Wanted to stay and try the racing league cars they had there, but I played baseball to pay for school so I had to get to "work" that summer to get a better scholarship.

I have had experience at the drag strip for years so I am pretty well versed. I also participated in road course events and that really gave me an idea of where the edge is. It will be different in the shelby but they are great events that are cost effective put on by svtoa.

Roger

Mustangs in a new driving school.

Our dealer built a brand new track near SLC and he is starting a driving school. Sold them 20 GT that went straight to the Mod shop for the Ford Performance upgrades plus many other upgrades.

You can check out Track info here.

www.millermotorsportspark.com

I have driven one of the cars but have not taken the course.

Mustangs in a new driving school.

Our dealer built a brand new track near SLC and he is starting a driving school. Sold them 20 GT that went straight to the Mod shop for the Ford Performance upgrades plus many other upgrades.

You can check out Track info here.

www.millermotorsportspark.com

I have driven one of the cars but have not taken the course.

Wow! Nice to see someone using 'Stangs. That's why I didn't want to do the Skip Barber school. I have run a few gymkanas and some laps of Watkins Glen in my '68 (in 1969). That was back when the track was 'accessible' during the off season when there wasn't a sole around and the access road was still a public road -- didn't last long like that! ;-)

Also, SVToA (SVT Owners Association) sponsors a series of on-track events where you can run your own car on different road courses -- I haven't done that, but that would be the most appealing to me. Especially since the GT500 tires and brakes woun't need to be swapped out to have some fun!

I'm thinking that when the GT500 OA get's merged with SVToA (which I think is where it's headed), that's the perfect venue to coordinate this through. The do quite a few on-track events each year.

Don't worry, every one who gets a Shelby will also get to go to drivers school. After a traffic citation you are given that opportunity if Florida to attend and withhold points from your license. I attended a couple emergency vehicle operations courses for required certification for my job. Try having a 40,000 lb fire truck sideways at 40mph. Not good!

Don't worry, every one who gets a Shelby will also get to go to drivers school. After a traffic citation you are given that opportunity if Florida to attend and withhold points from your license.

Ditto in NY, regal... been there a couple of times in 'past lives'... license all clean now for 15+ years. Too bad they don't give 'credits' to draw off ;-)

My first year and 1/2 of driving I got 14 tickets, I was driving a 70 mach 1- 428 SCJ, (wish I still had it) My dad made me park for a month and gave me my grandmothers car as punishment. It was a 66 dodge X highway patrol car Big block. Got 3 tickits in that (at the same time, Cop was really mad) So was my dad!!!

My first year and 1/2 of driving I got 14 tickets, I was driving a 70 mach 1- 428 SCJ, (wish I still had it) My dad made me park for a month and gave me my grandmothers car as punishment. It was a 66 dodge X highway patrol car Big block. Got 3 tickits in that (at the same time, Cop was really mad) So was my dad!!!

you honor.. I couldn't help myself... I have a 428CJ Mach! ..pays to be conected... ;-)

"It's got cop tires - 440 cop motor - cop brakes - and they practically gave them away at the Cook County auction. Whaddya say - is it the new BluesMobile - or What?"

"Fix the cigarette lighter."

:hysterical::shift:

Does driving in NYC manhattan playing bumper cars with the :censored: yellow cabs qualify as a sort of a driving course. Those :censored: are the worst drivers i have ever seen, they bang into you every five seconds then keep going with no reguard to anyone or anything, sorry to all just venting :rant:

STSVT - I've spent a lot of my life in NYC - getting lost with a Big Truck!

I hear ya.

If I chose (!) to live and work there - I think I'd need a Checker Marathon or a Crown Vic with Terminator bumpers front and rear.

I will never - ever - drive anything I own in NYC!

When I was about 18 (and living in CT), I had a buddy who owned a 1961 Pontiac Catalina (I think it was a '61) with a 389 and triples.

He liked pot - so I drove - and we ended up in Manhattan - me driving - and racing medallion cabs on 5th Avenue! It had a 4-spd.

I remember waking up the next morning behind a Diner in Jersey - with him passed out in the passenger seat!

After that night - I gave some serious thought to my drinking habits! :happy feet:

And - we barely had enough change to pay the toll on the GWB to get to work - late!

never make eye-contact with a NYC cabbie.... once you do that he know you know where he is and knows you value your car more than he values his, so once you make eye-contact, he has the right-of-way (even if he doesn't)

I;ve been out of NYC 32 years now, but you never lose your NYC driving skills - -you just uses them everywhere else.

I remember whe I used to travel down to Wash DC they'd always merge orderly alternating lanes... in NYC, every merge is a war of wills and eye-contact... it's like a sixth sense... Scary, but it works somehow.

Bob Bondurant, 2000, 01, 02, & 03.

High Performance Driving.

Highway Survival Training.

Performance Driving Experience.

Executive Protection / Anti-Kidnapping.

I had so much fun and learned so much during the first class, I had to come back and take the others. And one thing is certain. If you have any Teenaged kids, I would definately recommend running them through Bondurant's class that's designed for that age group. It definately teaches them self confidence and respect for the car as well as driving in general.

Archived