TEAM SHELBY FORUM

??? about the FRPP Whipple Supercharger

What is the diameter of the two holes on the inlet side of the supercharger where the throttlebody bolts up? They should be at least 52mm to mate up to the stock 4.6L throttlebody, but are they any larger to support using a larger TB - like say a twin 65mm?

They are big:

M-6066-M463V-b.jpg

Don't have the exact measurements but you can get an idea by looking at their size relative to the TB gasket size. I don't have the Whipple but my Saleen S/C kit uses a Lysholm which is almost identical to the Whipple (both companies are probably "cringing" when I say that) and I love it. It develops power immediately and keeps on pulling. I don't have to worry about changing the RPM limiter because I have a huge usable power band.

Noticed that you are also asking about the centrifugals which are also supposed to be very nice. Bottom line is that the 4.6 3v responds very nicely to boost! :happy feet:

60.3mm each according to Whipple. Caught a break at work and was able to call their tech support. The gentleman I talked to also said that their 2008 Mustang GT supercharger was still about another 3-4 weeks away from being able to be shipped to FRPP (that means SAI as well!) due to CARB certification.

Saleen was hit with a huge fine for that and a NO2 vehicle (kit?) that they sold in the past. May be part of the reason that they are closing their California operations. My S/C came with the CARB approved sticker.

I think that you would see a nice improvement with the twin 65.

BTW, my brother-in-law has the Whipple big boost kit and it is sweet. The Whipple was my first choice but I got a good deal on the Saleen. I don't have a Shelby - just the GT - so putting the Saleen on was no big deal. Well, actually, it was a big deal & took me two days to install with help. I think the Whipple is an easier install.

If I did have a Shelby, the Whipple would be my S/C.

60.3mm each according to Whipple. Caught a break at work and was able to call their tech support. The gentleman I talked to also said that their 2008 Mustang GT supercharger was still about another 3-4 weeks away from being able to be shipped to FRPP (that means SAI as well!) due to CARB certification.

As of last weeks Vegas event the 2008 Paxton installs were on hold also. I believe waiting on the tune from Paxton.

What is the diameter of the two holes on the inlet side of the supercharger where the throttlebody bolts up? They should be at least 52mm to mate up to the stock 4.6L throttlebody, but are they any larger to support using a larger TB - like say a twin 65mm?

Okay...Where did you get the 52mm measurement? Did you measure your TB? I ask because the intake ports you ask about should be 62mm, but I may be off a mm or two. Oops, I see it's been answered while I was composing this. Nevermind.

I think I understand what you're thinking with this question, and IMHO, you're not going to see a return on your investment. N/A engines? Yes, anytime you can add more air charge, you will run better. But, a very minor improvement at best. If you're supercharged, it won't make much of a difference at all, due to other bottlenecks that follow the TB. One is the capacity of the twin screw blower. Two is it's rotational speed (pulley size) and three, cylinder capacity of 48cc. You can stuff only so much air into the cylinder before something breaks.

If you want more power from your Whipple, get a smaller drive pulley, but be careful. Too small, and the stock 4.6L-3V will say goodnight.

I don't have the Whipple but my Saleen S/C kit uses a Lysholm which is almost identical to the Whipple (both companies are probably "cringing" when I say that) and I love it.

Lysholm is more a technology of positive displacement twin screw blowers today than a brand name, though it once was. When Alf Lysholm took over an expired patent on an earlier twin screw design, he re-developed and refined twin screw positive displacement technology. But, he also licensed everyone who asked to produce their own products with his design. There are over a dozen companies licensed today, and Whipple is one of them.

More corporate shenanigans. The Whipple is an Eaton product sold for retail under the Whipple name. Eaton also produces the same blower for factory supercharged cars, such as the Olds Aurora and the '03-'04 Cobra. Both are the same Eaton products, just different labels. One for retail, the other for factory installs.

LuLu,

I've followed JDM's testing of larger TB's on Mustang GT's. N/A engines and cent. sc's netted little if any improvement with a larger TB, but pos displacement blowers did see some nice increases.

I'm already in line for a Paxton on my SGT, but I can't stop thinking about the twin screw blower from Whipple. I already have a KB twin screw blower on my '01 GT so I know what they can do.

As of last weeks Vegas event the 2008 Paxton installs were on hold also. I believe waiting on the tune from Paxton.

Paxton was supposed to send a rep out to Las Vegas last week with the tune for the '08s. It wouldn't break my heart any if SAI started churning those out now that they should have the tune.

Archived