TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Taught My 17 Year Old Son To Drive Stick

gofastguy

Maybe I'm crazy, but I decided to do it. I would have used another vehicle if I had one handy, though. I am an extremely proud father since he didn't crunch the gears even once. I'd say he did pretty well--just the usual stalling it a few times and some jerky starts. Anyone else brave enough to do this?

Maybe I'm crazy, but I decided to do it. I would have used another vehicle if I had one handy, though. I am an extremely proud father since he didn't crunch the gears even once. I'd say he did pretty well--just the usual stalling it a few times and some jerky starts. Anyone else brave enough to do this?

No

:snake:

So now whatcha gonna do when he says....Dad, I got this really hot date tonight and I need the keys to the Shelby so I can really give a good impression! :hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

So now whatcha gonna do when he says....Dad, I got this really hot date tonight and I need the keys to the Shelby so I can really give a good impression! :hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

NO!!!!!

We let our 18 year old son drive it on a grass field after a show. All his friends were standing around watching, "Mike you look so cool in that car". My response was, the next time you see him driving it we'll be dead!!! :hysterical2:

tell em to get a job and buy his own! :hysterical2::hysterical2:

Shelby Dude-every time I see you sig it makes me wish I would have gotten the GT500- I like the color combo so much!

Hummmm, maybe Iam differnt, I always let my daughter drive my car, in fact I let her race it in vegas,

If something is gonna happen, well so be it, I can always buy another car, I cant replace her and I would rather see her in the Shelby because she is VERY careful, a little rice burner wont fare well in an accident, the shelby w/ all the air bags will protect her, I hope....Rick

p.s. she has a truck and a 1967 Mustang bright yellow coupe.

Yep I did the same. My son is 19 (whoops actually today he is 20! ) and I taught him to drive about 1.5 weeks before the Vegas event. He was shakey in the beginning of the weekend but driving like a pro by Sunday. The best part was on Sunday when we were going through the desert in the Valley of Fire and he was driving thtrough the park. Good thing there were no cops around! The roads there were curved and flat!

NOOOOOOO!!!!!

My 17 year daughter does not even want to try it. Guess I don't have to worry about her taking it out unless one of her goofy boy friends finds the keys.

My wife is afraid of it also. She has never driven a manual tranny.

More seat time for me... YIPPY! :happy feet:

Funny, before the SGT went to bed for the Winter, I offered to teach Dale (my wife) how to drive a stick...and she wanted no part of it.

"There is no way I am learning on your Shelby!"....she said.

Looks like renting a stick is in order for the Spring, I am not comfortable with her not knowing how to drive one!

My 15 year old daughter started driving on her 15th birthday about 6 weeks ago.

I am a autocross nut.

She started on my WRX STI first as that car had the most miles and is my daily driver. About 5 hours in a parking lot. And about 20 hours since that.

I have let her drive my Subaru on the highway, and my 08 Shelby on the street---and my Elise at an autox----I got a little nervous when we left the course and went into the grass at an event in the Lotus, but luckily there was nothing to hit. The Shelby is the hardest car to park, just because it's so low and the hood is so long.

She loves the shaker 1000, and the ambient lighting----she thinks the Shelby will be her car when she turns 16-----only if she can drive it-----while I close my eyes and relax----I told her she has to practice....practice.

I think the Shelby is a safe car 5 star on crash and rollover. But in bad weather the STI is better.

My 15 year old daughter started driving on her 15th birthday about 6 weeks ago.

I am a autocross nut.

She started on my WRX STI first as that car had the most miles and is my daily driver. About 5 hours in a parking lot. And about 20 hours since that.

I have let her drive my Subaru on the highway, and my 08 Shelby on the street---and my Elise at an autox----I got a little nervous when we left the course and went into the grass at an event in the Lotus, but luckily there was nothing to hit. The Shelby is the hardest car to park, just because it's so low and the hood is so long.

She loves the shaker 1000, and the ambient lighting----she thinks the Shelby will be her car when she turns 16-----only if she can drive it-----while I close my eyes and relax----I told her she has to practice....practice.

I think the Shelby is a safe car 5 star on crash and rollover. But in bad weather the STI is better.

It got icy here monday night. It was not fun trying to drive home in the bad weather, made me miss AWD.

Well I taught my 14 year old son to drive a stick in my Ford Festiva beater.Traded an 07 Vette in on the Shelby GT,That morning I let him drive the Vette and do a small run through the gears with all of the nannies on!Later on during a divorce I was forced to sell my Shelby GT,I let him drive that one also telling him that he was pretty damn lucky and there probably weren't too many other 14 year olds that have driven these types of cars other than on video games!Life is not a dress rehearsal folks.If the person in question is a loved one regardless of age,Let them in on the experience!

Now all's that left is to teach them to drive a "three on the tree"!

Wow I'm amazed at the people that will not let anyone else touch their cars. I figure my sons need to learn to drive the Shelby, it is something they will always remember and hopefull motivate them in later life to restore it after I'm done trashing it after years of hard use and hard driving.

No kidding, I see vintage Shelbys that are trailer queens and other cars that still show up at local cruise nights in our area. My car will be the later of the two, used and enjoyed and abused a little. I'll fix whatever breaks and keep it as nice as I can, but no trailer queen for me. Half the fun of these cars (or any car) is adding things a lttle at at time to go faster and faster. Working on the car is often as fun as driving it and I hope my two sons will get to enjoy the car and the car hobby for many years to come.

Years from now, we will have many nice memeories like the LA to Vegas run instead of a shelve full of cheap trophys.

Drive on my brothers and sisters!

Wow I'm amazed at the people that will not let anyone else touch their cars. I figure my sons need to learn to drive the Shelby, it is something they will always remember and hopefull motivate them in later life to restore it after I'm done trashing it after years of hard use and hard driving.

No kidding, I see vintage Shelbys that are trailer queens and other cars that still show up at local cruise nights in our area. My car will be the later of the two, used and enjoyed and abused a little. I'll fix whatever breaks and keep it as nice as I can, but no trailer queen for me. Half the fun of these cars (or any car) is adding things a lttle at at time to go faster and faster. Working on the car is often as fun as driving it and I hope my two sons will get to enjoy the car and the car hobby for many years to come.

Years from now, we will have many nice memeories like the LA to Vegas run instead of a shelve full of cheap trophys.

Drive on my brothers and sisters!

AMEN! I do not go out in the rain or salt, but I bought mine to drive. I'm planning on enjoying the heck out of mine and if it becomes valuable at some point, then all the better. I am hoping to pass mine on to my son in nice condition, but well used.

WOW I think you guys would hang me! :hysterical2: My car is a DD and has seen all the elements.......In fact, I don't have a garage or cover yet so it just stays outside. Mine is getting handed up instead of down. It's gonna go to my dad as soon as the new Challenger comes out and become his toy! I think it's great people are sharing the Shelby experience with their kids. Most people my age (19-20) have no idea what S H E L B Y means and always talk down on most muscle cars in favor of European and Japanese cars. For every knowledgeable car guy who comes up to me to talk about the car, theres some kid on campus who tells me I wasted my money and should have gotten an M3 or a WRX! :hysterical2:

Just something to think about, to all those people telling there kids "NO YOU CANT DRIVE MY CAR"

these are the same kids that are going to pick the rest home you will live in when you are not able to

made your own choices, Hummmmm :rant:

That's wicked cool. I plan on doing the same with my daughter but I have a few years to wait as she is only 13 years old. I think it is a great idea. Not every kid on the block can say " My Dad taught me how to drive in a Shelby". Congrats.

Just something to think about, to all those people telling there kids "NO YOU CANT DRIVE MY CAR"

these are the same kids that are going to pick the rest home you will live in when you are not able to

Rick, I can appreciate you letting Michelle drive your car. I admire your attitude as to why you let her. I don't know what her driving record is like, but this is why my son does not get to drive my car.

His first "accident" with a vehicle was at 16. He and his buddy were driving snow mobiles, in the dark, in deep snow in Eastern Wa, going 70-80mph (maybe faster), in an area where they didn't know what the terrain looked like. So guess what happens next............he plows into a barbed wire fence!!!!! He has a girl on the back, she's cut up and he nearly cuts his freakin' head off. Has 3 or 4 lines on his neck, about 6in long, tons of stitches. If that wasn't bad enough, he then has to pay for the damages to the snowmobile, about $600.00. Summer of '07, he gets popped for a wreckless, $500.00. On Jan. 11th, when we're in Vegas, he's busted for street racing. Probably will need a lawyer for this one. Not to mention the numerous regular tickets he's acquired between 16 and 18 years of age. It doesn't help that he drives a 1995 Acura Integra-GSR. Dave describes it as more balls than brains, with his need for speed. Sooooooooooo.

Because we have Pemco, with super low rates and a Shelby being a Shelby, there is a rider that no one under 25 is allowed to drive it.

He will get this car passed down to him and he knows it. I wish he didn't drive like a maniac and I wish he could drive my car, but until he learns to have respect for the road, his vehicle and himself and realize that driving is a privilege, not a right, he is not allowed to drive it.

Sherri

Rick, I can appreciate you letting Michelle drive your car. I admire your attitude as to why you let her. I don't know what her driving record is like, but this is why my son does not get to drive my car.

His first "accident" with a vehicle was at 16. He and his buddy were driving snow mobiles, in the dark, in deep snow in Eastern Wa, going 70-80mph (maybe faster), in an area where they didn't know what the terrain looked like. So guess what happens next............he plows into a barbed wire fence!!!!! He has a girl on the back, she's cut up and he nearly cuts his freakin' head off. Has 3 or 4 lines on his neck, about 6in long, tons of stitches. If that wasn't bad enough, he then has to pay for the damages to the snowmobile, about $600.00. Summer of '07, he gets popped for a wreckless, $500.00. On Jan. 11th, when we're in Vegas, he's busted for street racing. Probably will need a lawyer for this one. Not to mention the numerous regular tickets he's acquired between 16 and 18 years of age. It doesn't help that he drives a 1995 Acura Integra-GSR. Dave describes it as more balls than brains, with his need for speed. Sooooooooooo.

Because we have Pemco, with super low rates and a Shelby being a Shelby, there is a rider that no one under 25 is allowed to drive it.

He will get this car passed down to him and he knows it. I wish he didn't drive like a maniac and I wish he could drive my car, but until he learns to have respect for the road, his vehicle and himself and realize that driving is a privilege, not a right, he is not allowed to drive it.

Sherri

I know where you coming from, I was just giving you a bad time. Rick

LOL Hopefully he'll come pick me upo from time to time and give me a ride in my old Shelby! :hysterical:

On another note a three on the tree Mid 70's Bronco came into our transmission shop to have a clutch problem diagnosed.I'm 37,Bossman is 59,Other builder is 39,We have techs of varying ages and I have to show all of them how to drive the thing!So it's not just the young that can't drive a stick,or at least that form of shift.I got a charge out of it!Most of them couldn't adjust or change a set of points either,Jeeesh!

Archived