TEAM SHELBY FORUM

problem with dealer

shelby07

I just picked up my Shelby and I am very impressed with the car and over all happy. I live in new england and was able to bring her home on a dry and salt free day. I told the dealer who had to wash my car a second time ,waiting over a 1.5 but it was worth it the young did a great job compared to before so the wait was worth it. I told the salesman that I would wax it later that day to make sure the car was free of any problems, he said that was fine and to let him know. upon getting the car home I have found problems with the stripes, Dealer said they would have to see them brought it back next day with only 130 miles on the odo 17 which was already on the car looked at it said they would have to contact shelby to see if they would cover it, I said ok . called the dealer other day he made it sound like everything was okay he would let me know when parts in I said thank you. I got email today need more pics to show shelby. the problems are evident delamiting stripe on trunk , :banghead::banghead::banghead: rip in bumper strip with no damage to paint. I hope they will cover this , if any of you have any info please let me know!

We had a simular issue on one ours. The car wasn't even sold! Just sitting here at the dealership.

Our bodyshop manager was being told they wouldn't do anything. This was coming from Ford Performance which is the channel you have to go through for warranty claims.

The stripes were messed up. They had what looked like water type spots with a rusty color look to them. They would not come off. They were covered on all the stripes acroos the entire car.

I was going to call and get it resolved but they traded it to a dealer the following day. So I don't know what ever happened, whether or not they caught it and did anything. Needless to say I wasn't happy about hearing what they said. It was BS!

I would think they will take care of it though. It's just a BS process the dealer has to go through and get authorization to do the repair so they can get paid for it.

If push comes to shove I'm sure SAI will step up if need be. I wouldn't worry much about it. Just let them go through the required process first. They do require pics before doing anything. I guess the dealer's word isn't enough. LOL

I just picked up my Shelby and I am very impressed with the car and over all happy. I live in new england and was able to bring her home on a dry and salt free day. I told the dealer who had to wash my car a second time ,waiting over a 1.5 but it was worth it the young did a great job compared to before so the wait was worth it. I told the salesman that I would wax it later that day to make sure the car was free of any problems, he said that was fine and to let him know. upon getting the car home I have found problems with the stripes, Dealer said they would have to see them brought it back next day with only 130 miles on the odo 17 which was already on the car looked at it said they would have to contact shelby to see if they would cover it, I said ok . called the dealer other day he made it sound like everything was okay he would let me know when parts in I said thank you. I got email today need more pics to show shelby. the problems are evident delamiting stripe on trunk , :banghead::banghead::banghead: rip in bumper strip with no damage to paint. I hope they will cover this , if any of you have any info please let me know!

I had multiple stripe issues. I took the pictures for the dealer with a high quality camera and burned them onto CD so they could email them to Ford Racing. A few weeks later I had my stripes!

-Jeff

Shelby07 -

I had a similar issue... bubbles in rear stripe. I was travelling right after I discovered it and couldn't wait for original dealer to handle it.

I went to another dealer for the warranty claim. They took photos and sent them in to Ford, then Ford authorized the repair.

Only issue I had was the body shop folks ordered the wrong stripe and I drove around a week with a stripe missing.

They should handle it as a warranty issue for sure.

Keith

Stripe_Bubbles.jpg

Stripe_Bubbles.jpg

Thank you everbody for your replys , sound like you all did okay so I will sit and wait and see what happens. I am proud to be a shelby gt owner. I will keep you all informed. thank you :waiting:

Thank you everbody for your replys , sound like you all did okay so I will sit and wait and see what happens. I am proud to be a shelby gt owner. I will keep you all informed. thank you :waiting:

The big problem is that the Stripes that Ford uses are NOT High Performance Vinyl. One thing you need to know about Vinyl Graphics is they have to Breath so you can't Wax them. Becareful when Waxing your Car.

David.

The big problem is that the Stripes that Ford uses are NOT High Performance Vinyl. One thing you need to know about Vinyl Graphics is they have to Breath so you can't Wax them. Becareful when Waxing your Car.

David.

Thanks did`nt know that , is there any think you should put on them????

UPDATE, I got a email today and they want more pictures. I just do not understand it, the service manager saw the problem I have taken countless pctures there should be no question it should be a done deal. Well I sent the pictures and they said they would let me know. I have never had a problem that Ford never covered I just hope they do. :banghead: The other thing is its a shelby and most people pay a premium for the car it should be good enuff that the service manager saw it. I just dont get it. crossing my fingers it might be better if I could drive it!!! :rant:

UPDATE, I got a email today and they want more pictures. I just do not understand it, the service manager saw the problem I have taken countless pctures there should be no question it should be a done deal. Well I sent the pictures and they said they would let me know. I have never had a problem that Ford never covered I just hope they do. :banghead: The other thing is its a shelby and most people pay a premium for the car it should be good enuff that the service manager saw it. I just dont get it. crossing my fingers it might be better if I could drive it!!! :rant:

You just have to jump through all of their hoops. If the detail isn't good enough in the pictures, they'll ask for more. make sure you have a lot of good lighting and use the best setting your camera has-if you have or know some one with a really good digital camera, you should be able to capture enough detail to get it fixed.

OR the sevice manager never called it and/or lost the first set of pics................

Doubtful.

Ford Performance is just making it a real PITA to get warranty claims processed and approved on these cars.

I don't know what the problem is and don't understand why all the hassel and red tape over these claims. The mere fact the service department verifies the problem exist should be more than enough to get authorization to fix it!

This whole process is BS and it is going to really put a bad taste in the consumers mouth by making this so difficult to get their cars repaired.

They have enough problems getting these sold. They don't need this crap!

With Ford, I have never found having warranty work done a straight forward exercise - the premise seems to be to find some reason as to why they (Ford) is not to blame, and thus why the repair should be charged to you. I think modern technology just gives them more avenues to persue for reasons to reject claims.

I used to blame the dealers, but over the years it became clear that they were bound by the rules enforced on them by Ford, and they were just the messenger of the news. I recently attended a function at the local Ford dealer (new to me since I relocated recently) and their service manager with 30-years of experience at this one dealer, said that the scrutany by Ford on warranty claims had never been more intense and that the number of parts that have to be returned to Ford for examination before a claim is approved has also increased. The latter, in his words, was a customer service nightmare for the dealer since the customer could be held up for days pending a Ford decision. He also explained just how "some" of the extended warranties invoke the same criteria and are successful in rejecting claims better than 90% of the time.

In short, you can expect to be put through hoops for any claims. If they can blame the stripes problems on something else, they will, thats for certain.

Sorry I have beeen able to update all of you works been crazy. I have a shelby gt csm. 5652 she is pretty loaded gps and heated seats all the good stuff a real sweet ride although mostly sitting do to winter. Updated talked to dealership again via email need more pics sent them out yesterday they have approved the trunk lid and the rusted hood pins we are still fighting over damaged to strip on bumper and distance between washer and strip one side looks great other side out 1/4 of a inch which I understand that shelby only allows 3/16. I have been a ford owner for years and never had this kind of problems. I also think that the dealer problem not mine and should cover this, I have worked with ford in the past and they have always taken care of problem's also feel that the cars were left outside in the weather and snow and other things my have caused these problems which means the dealer my also be responsible. But bottom line is these were not done by my negligence and they should be replace asap they want to charge a premium for theses cars and not give the service. I own a ford f-350 super-cab and own two other mustangs and my business owns a explorer so I am loyal. They should be two. So crossing my fingers and waiting for snow to end and spring to drive that shelby's wheeels off. :rant:

I cleaned mine up and was snapping pics of my stripes today. I have the blotchy spots on mine. I would like to see about a fix for these, but am truly scared to have them take the originals off and chance ending up with inferior workmanship or mismatches...

I know what you mean I really feel this is a dealer problem do to the fact that many of the cars are left outside and not washed regularly. I am still waiting to find out about them approving the rest of my strip issue. These cars should be treated with respect after all they get a big premium for them 99 percent of the times. I talk to a friend at a body shop garage he said that replacing them should not be a problem. Good luck :waiting:

I know what you mean I really feel this is a dealer problem do to the fact that many of the cars are left outside and not washed regularly. I am still waiting to find out about them approving the rest of my strip issue. These cars should be treated with respect after all they get a big premium for them 99 percent of the times. I talk to a friend at a body shop garage he said that replacing them should not be a problem. Good luck :waiting:

I don't see this being a dealer problem because they might leave cars sitting outside.

These cars are made to be driven outside and withstand all type of weather conditions. If not, they are doing a very poor job building these. There is also NOTHING provided by the manufacturer that these cars should not be outside and stored in doors to protect the cheap quality of stripes or whatever that is being used on them.

Also, the SGT sits outside for MONTHS at SAI in the desert with all kinds of dirt and sand blowing all over them. When we get the car it is FILTHY! They are shipped enclosed, but they are still FILTHY from sitting outside at SAI for so long. Many dealers have complained about this.

The cars shipped from Ford in open transports across the country in all types of wheather.

Just because YOU may choose to never drive your car in bad weather or let it sit outside in bad weather does not mean the car was not built to withstand the weather. It IS just a car and cars ARE made to be driven outside in all types weather regardless of how YOU choose to drive or store your car.

If they are not built to withstand being outside then it is the manufacturer that needs to insure they supply instructions warning everyone that these cars are NOT to be left outside in any type of weather.

Don't try passing the blame on dealers just because the car may have been sitting outside. Over 99% of all new vehicles sit outside. 100% of all vehicles are driven outside with the rare exception when someone chooses to stick it away in storage somewhere for years and never chooses to drive it.

If any of these cars can not withstand the weather from sitting outside then that is the manufacturers fault, not the dealers.

Are you saying if YOU left your car outside and later something happened to the stripes as a result from just sitting outside that YOU are going to just accept that as being YOUR fault for leaving it outside and expect the manufacturer to do nothing about it??? Please!

SIMPLE...If received from the horrible dusty desert with damage, the dealer should have refused delivery/made a claim/fixed the car.

Not just passed the damage onto an unsuspecting buyer.

And/Or have him/her pick it up at night so the damage could not be easily recognized.

Car bought from dealer, car has damage to stripes=Dealer issue.

SIMPLE...If received from the horrible dusty desert with damage, the dealer should have refused delivery/made a claim/fixed the car.

Not just passed the damage onto an unsuspecting buyer.

And/Or have him/her pick it up at night so the damage could not be easily recognized.

Car bought from dealer, car has damage to stripes=Dealer issue.

Same holds true for the customer buying the car. If the car shows damage don't buy it or at least require that the car is fixed before taking delivery. If it is night have it brought inside where there is plenty of lighting ot come back and pick it up when it is light out so you can inspect it before taking delivery. The dealer is responsible for inspecting it when it comes in, but customers shouldn't inspect them before taking it? This isn't to say because the customer took the car they should be stuck with it. If the dealer causes the damage they should fix it. If it has damage it should be caught at the time it is delivered so the manufacturer can pay for it. The problem is these cars are so filthy when they come in that you couldn't see any flaws in the stripes as far as stains are concerned and there is no way of knowing if they would just wash off or not. Transporters do not just sit around waiting while you have cars cleaned up just to inspect them for little flaws they may have. The type of flaws these have with the stripes are almost impossible to catch when they are delivered because they are so filthy when they come in.

I had one we bought from another dealer. It wasn't until after a few days of sitting on the showroom floor that I noticed the stripes had stains on them. They looked like rusty water spot type stains that would just wash off. Later found out they wouldn't come off. It had nothing to do with sitting outside. At least not from sitting outside at the dealership. Perhaps it happened at SAI sitting out in their dirt lot with rain and dirt blowing all over the place. I don't know. I just know they are there, they won't come off, and that is a manufacturer problem. Not a dealer problem. Not a consumer problem. It is a manufacturer problem and they are the one making a big issue out of paying to fix it! Dealers can't just fix it unless they want to get stuck with the cost. Dealers have to get all repairs under warranty approved by the manufacturer before doing any work or the dealer can get stuck with the cost. That doesn't create a dealer problem. It is still a manufacturer problem. Dealers don't warranty new cars. The manufacturer does. They require authoration to perform any repair work before doing the repair or the dealer risks getting stuck with the bill.

Regardless, the point is, the weather should have no bearing on this over the cars just sitting outside. If this is an issue caused by the weather then that is in the manufacturing not the dealer for letting it sit outside. No more than it would be the customers fault if they let it sit outside after buying the car and the problem surfaced later from sitting outside while the customer owned it. You as the customer would still expect the manufactuer to stand behind it because whether it sits outside or not that should not cause a problem with stripes staining.

Your point is taken. However, regardless whether or not the customer "noticed" the stripe issue or not b4 taking delivery, you are seeing it prior to sale and just figuring, oh that will wash off, and as you say the truck driver wasnt exactly going to sit around & wait for you guys to detail the cars and see if there was damage from Vegas........but when it doesnt just wash off as you say,...arent you really just passing the buck to your paying customer and either making them pay to fix it or hiding behind "we need warranty approval before we can proceed" .....the customer deserves better. He (the customer) certainly didnt cause the damage and you sold him a brand new car.......fix the stripes. who you backcharge should be an afterthought to doing the right thing.

IMO.

Your point is taken. However, regardless whether or not the customer "noticed" the stripe issue or not b4 taking delivery, you are seeing it prior to sale and just figuring, oh that will wash off, and as you say the truck driver wasnt exactly going to sit around & wait for you guys to detail the cars and see if there was damage from Vegas........but when it doesnt just wash off as you say,...arent you really just passing the buck to your paying customer and either making them pay to fix it or hiding behind "we need warranty approval before we can proceed" .....the customer deserves better. He (the customer) certainly didnt cause the damage and you sold him a brand new car.......fix the stripes. who you backcharge should be an afterthought to doing the right thing.

IMO.

I never said the dealer should pass it off to the customer.

It is possible the dealer didn't notice it. After all, he never noticed it either until after getting it home.

As for the one I noticed at our store, I did try to get it fixed prior to it being sold. I took it to our body shop to have it fixed. They called Ford Performance to get authorization and had to send pics. They were told NO!

Then I was going to call myself to get it straightened out. But they sold it the next day to another dealer. So I never got the chance to get it taken care of. Whether the other dealer did or not I have no idea.

As far as just fixing it and backcharging someone it just doesn't work that way. This is FORD you are dealing with here. Dealers can't backcharge Ford for anything. Ford will backcharge dealers for everything, but the dealer can't do squat!

So the dealer HAS to wait until Ford gives a final answer on doing anything or the dealer will get stuck with paying it. Now if in the end Ford doesn't do anything then the dealer may just eat it and take care of it. Naturally if it was an existing problem prior to the customer taking delivery then we would take care of it. But when it is a warranty issue we still have to wait on FORD before just doing the work.

I agree it is BAD service for the customer, but that bad service being passed down through FORD. The dealer SHOULD be able to just take care of it and submit the claim to Ford and Ford take care of it. But that just isn't the way FORD does it! And this appears to be a problem because the claim has to do with something that wasn't done at Ford, but at SAI. So it is being treated like an aftermarket company repair which seems to always end up being a major PITA to get claims processed right away. Anytime there is an aftermarket company involved the claim process takes longer and requires more BS hoops to jump through. We don't seem to have this problem with the GT500 because that car was completely built at Ford. So those come in and seem to get taken care of right away where anything pertaining to the SGT takes longer because of having to go through Ford Performance to get warranty work authorized.

In the end, it is the customer that is being punished by having to have them wait longer just to get a warranty repair fixed! Thank FORD for setting it up that way. It is out of the dealers control.

After reading this thread I really belive it IS the DEALER here. I have had stipes repaired and replaced under warranty. It did take the dealer 2 shots with Ford Racing for the warranty work but it was approved and the stipes arrived within 48 hrs.

After reading this thread I really belive it IS the DEALER here. I have had stipes repaired and replaced under warranty. It did take the dealer 2 shots with Ford Racing for the warranty work but it was approved and the stipes arrived within 48 hrs.

Maybe it does come down to just how the dealer describes the damage and how good a day the Ford agent is having; I just get the impression that anything described as a "stain" or "discoloring" could be rejected by Ford - sad to say - under the Warranty exclusion clause covering "environmental damage". I'm sure its not just Ford, but it is an unfortuate part of life these days that it is "buyer beware" - you just have to forgo the excitment of the new vehicle and go over every inch of the car looking for anything amiss and get it fully documented - actually, preferably repaired before your check-book is opened. There is a good reason the dealer now has all these legal "delivery condition" forms you sign, and it's not to protect the customer.

Maybe it does come down to just how the dealer describes the damage and how good a day the Ford agent is having; I just get the impression that anything described as a "stain" or "discoloring" could be rejected by Ford - sad to say - under the Warranty exclusion clause covering "environmental damage". I'm sure its not just Ford, but it is an unfortuate part of life these days that it is "buyer beware" - you just have to forgo the excitment of the new vehicle and go over every inch of the car looking for anything amiss and get it fully documented - actually, preferably repaired before your check-book is opened. There is a good reason the dealer now has all these legal "delivery condition" forms you sign, and it's not to protect the customer.

Seems all of the problems could have been avoided had these stripes been painted on to begin with. The main reason for buying my GT500 was that it came without the vinyl stripes. The SS also has vinyl stripes and all for the low, low price of $30K, and holy moly it's the same vinyl stripe provider as the SGT. Go figure! History is destined to be repeated if not learnt from into the future. :headspin:

Seems all of the problems could have been avoided had these stripes been painted on to begin with. The main reason for buying my GT500 was that it came without the vinyl stripes. The SS also has vinyl stripes and all for the low, low price of $30K, and holy moly it's the same vinyl stripe provider as the SGT. Go figure! History is destined to be repeated if not learnt from into the future. :headspin:

You're right on! The vinyl will shrink leaving those raggedy edges, and they'll fade, but it will give us all a new challenge when we try and replace them! :-) The corners of my stripes were lifting under the rear of the hood (visible flapping from the drivers seat so doubly annoying) and on the trunk lid, in both cases where the stripes crossed the rolled metal seams. I just trimmed them back from the seam and added a dab of glue. I'm under no illussion that the vinyl will continue to be a problem down the road - best I can hope for is a warranty replacement at 35,900 miles, but I won't hold my breath!

The problem is the crap I am going through to get this car fixed, I not afraid to drive my car and get it dirty in fact I love to race my mustang all the time at the local dragway. If the car has damage do to there neglect not mine fix it and make me happy. If the dealer or a owner allows bird crap acid rain or dirty to melt in to the paint or stripe that's there fault period. If the car came with damaged then they should have called shelby to have it fixed. Also if there is a problem with these stripes they should address it. My 2003 mach1 has stripes and I never had a problem with them at all. I just want it fixed........................... before good weather sets in. :banghead: I know poor me

If you leave your car with bird crap acid rain spots or just neglect to wash it, for a month and it damages the car is that shelby's fault or yours or in this case the dealer. I bought a new car for a premium and it is damaged it has been 1 month and still waiting.. I don't think I am being unreasonable. Oh I do get my car dirty at the race track every other weekend I live in N>England and weather does not permit me to drive year around I was just stating that they should take better car of these cars especially if they want to sell them for a premium . I just want the darn thing fixed before good weather comes.

Archived