TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT-Plus vs. Extreme-Plus Baer Front Brake Upgrades

Based on SGT's with S/C:

Both use same rotors, Extremes are twice the cost. Do the 6-piston calipers justifiy that much increase or are the Plus's adequate.

Will the GT-Plus's fit with stock (18" SGT) rims? I know the extremes will require 20's. Anyone try yet?

Any other info would be appreciated. $3.8K is a hard one to swallow compared to $2.1K

Thanks.

Based on SGT's with S/C:

Both use same rotors, Extremes are twice the cost. Do the 6-piston calipers justifiy that much increase or are the Plus's adequate.

Will the GT-Plus's fit with stock (18" SGT) rims? I know the extremes will require 20's. Anyone try yet?

Any other info would be appreciated. $3.8K is a hard one to swallow compared to $2.1K

Thanks.

You will need 20" rims for both applications. I think that I am going with the Shelby GT500 stock Brembo Kit, P/N M2300-S which can be had for about $1200. I believe that these are better than the Gt-plus kits. The only way the 18" will work is with at least 25mmm wheel spacers.

I think the Plus is quite adaquate unless you're doing something very extreme. Honestly I think I would be happy with my brakes if I put braided lines on and changed to Hawk pads, but I really want the big drilled and slotted rotors. My current plan is to go with the Plus.

Things to keep in mind are pot diameter, and how deeply the caliper pushes into the rotor's "swept area", i.e. how much actual contact do you get?

Don't count pistons by numbers, more is not always better. Two, four, or six pot calipers vary in pot diameter, and it's the pot diameter that delivers the actual brake torque to the swept area of the rotor.

Two piston pots are the largest, four piston pots are smaller, and six piston pots are even smaller than that. Sure, there is more of them at each step, but the actual contact surface with the rotor is reduced.

Look at the pics on the SPP catalogue(page 12) for a rough eyeball of my point? See the two pot BaerClaw kit called the "Shelby GT-Plus" kit? Two pot PBR calipers, but the caliper is right up against the hat and deep into the swept area, using all of the swept area of the rotor.

Now, look at the ShelbyExtreme-Plus pics. Six pot PBR calipers, but you see a gap between the hat and the caliper, looks to be 1/4" gap, swept area that isn't participating in the torque, or, clamp force. What braking is all about.

There needs to be a balance between clamp force (torque) and swept area. A larger six piston caliper with smaller diameter pots may not deliver the clamp force you need, and it may not penetrate deep enough into the rotor, leaving you with unused swept area and early rotor fatigue.

Before you decide, research. Learn a bit about the actual performance of the product you are considering, and it's expectations of longevity. You can eat up rotors very early if the balance between swept area and number of pots isn't achieved.

Just my .02C, carry on gents.

Based on SGT's with S/C:

Thanks.

I guess my advice would be, upgrade pads and stainless steel lines with brake ducts, see what happens. But if you're going to buy new wheels you better be certain that this set-up is adequate. Both the GT-Plus system and the extreme series require 20" wheels period. Maybe in the future they'll design a wheel, but I doubt it because of the size of the caliper. We have the GT Plus system(Baer), I believe it was 2400.00 installed. Money well spent. The look pretty cool too!!! The one downfall is brake dust which is blown out due to the brake ducts. You can get better pads with less dust, but this is harder on the rotors, so I've decided to deal with the dust. These rotors are not cheap. I feel these brakes are more than adequate. But I'm not racing every week end either.

Hope this helps.

First ShelbyPerformanceParts has an 18" wheel that will work with atleast the extremes brakes. It is sort of deceiving but the extremes are actually easier to fit then the GTplus. If you look at the two side by side you will notice that the GTplus sit higher on the rotor and actually increase the overall diameter that is need to clear. Basically the GTplus have a higher profile.

Performance wise. When we were on the track at the Birthday Bash, I found a couple of times that I started to get brake fade at the end of the long straight, coming down from about 95-100 for a 90 degree left late in the session. I think eventually I will try some track pads before I think about upgrading to the extreme or maybe even the upcoming Pro-plus kit.

First ShelbyPerformanceParts has an 18" wheel that will work with atleast the extremes brakes. It is sort of deceiving but the extremes are actually easier to fit then the GTplus. If you look at the two side by side you will notice that the GTplus sit higher on the rotor and actually increase the overall diameter that is need to clear. Basically the GTplus have a higher profile.

Performance wise. When we were on the track at the Birthday Bash, I found a couple of times that I started to get brake fade at the end of the long straight, coming down from about 95-100 for a 90 degree left late in the session. I think eventually I will try some track pads before I think about upgrading to the extreme or maybe even the upcoming Pro-plus kit.

I think one part of the equation that people are forgetting is the brake fluids. I seriously doubt Ford or Shelby puts the upper end brake fluid in these cars. Brake fluid can definitely increase your stopping power. Heat and moisture are the two things that make the brake fluid go bad. Racing frequently will require the brake fluids to be changed often. Here's a link that does comparisons and ratings. Hope this helps.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp...iorb=4764&0

I guess my advice would be, upgrade pads and stainless steel lines with brake ducts, see what happens. But if you're going to buy new wheels you better be certain that this set-up is adequate. Both the GT-Plus system and the extreme series require 20" wheels period. Maybe in the future they'll design a wheel, but I doubt it because of the size of the caliper. We have the GT Plus system(Baer), I believe it was 2400.00 installed. Money well spent. The look pretty cool too!!! The one downfall is brake dust which is blown out due to the brake ducts. You can get better pads with less dust, but this is harder on the rotors, so I've decided to deal with the dust. These rotors are not cheap. I feel these brakes are more than adequate. But I'm not racing every week end either.

Hope this helps.

Period? How about a comma?

I've owned three Marauders that came from the factory with 18X8 Alcoa wheels, and the Bearclaw kit with 14" rotors fit every time.

The collision with the caliper is not from internal diameter clearance, rather it stems from wheel offset, i.e. the distance between the mounting pad and the centerline of the wheel. The Marauder wheels have a 50mm offset, the stock SGT/Bullitt wheels are 45mm, and the spokes of the wheel are too close to the centerline to allow room for the Bearclaw/GT Plus two pot PBR caliper and will collide.

It's very disappointing at times, how much necessary information isn't posted, or, published by the wheel and brake manfacturers. They want to sell us their products, but not tell us what we need to know for the right selection. On top of that, some post inches, others post metric, and I find it all very frustrating.

Archived