TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stock Motor on 18.5lbs of BOOST!

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but I just noticed this article in MM&FF.

The name of the article is "Thundering THREE VALVES". It's the issue with the new Bullit on the cover. Any way this guy is running and I guess has been running not sure for how long but, 18.5lbs of boost on the stock block and ran the 1/4 mile in 10.43 @ 131MPH. He did do a tranny swap though.

Just thought it was interesting. I really wonder how long this guy has been running on this boost level, but know he is on borrowed time, especially if he is at the track. He's running a Procharger F1R supercharger.

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but I just noticed this article in MM&FF.

The name of the article is "Thundering THREE VALVES". It's the issue with the new Bullit on the cover. Any way this guy is running and I guess has been running not sure for how long but, 18.5lbs of boost on the stock block and ran the 1/4 mile in 10.43 @ 131MPH. He did do a tranny swap though.

Just thought it was interesting. I really wonder how long this guy has been running on this boost level, but know he is on borrowed time, especially if he is at the track. He's running a Procharger F1R supercharger.

I just re-read the article you cite. I find page 90, the "stock 4.6L-3V on 18 PSI of boost" quite unbelieveable. Reading it again?

I believe the writer has taken some "editorial license" with words. The writer says the stock bore and stroke remain, stating it "wasn't poked or stroked", but this doesn't mean it wasn't built for racing.

He clearly states that the engine is "stock", but I believe he means to say "stock specs", because all the other cars in this shootout have gone to big bore, or, stroker engines, and (as you correctly state) many different tranny combos.

I know Rich Groh, the wrench who built Justin Burcham's engine cited as "#1" in this article and I called to ask him about 18 PSI on a true bone stock 3V engine. He laughed quite loud and for some time, then came back to ask if "Captain Jack" stopped by for a visit before I called, implying I was drunk.

I suppose you could get away with it once or twice, even the writer says "It's pretty astounding that the thing lived at all, much less lighting up the scoreboards with a mid-10-second laps".

Read it the way you want, but this can't be a true bone stock 4.6L-3V engine. 18 PSI just isn't going to work more than once, maybe twice. Hell, I doubt you would get out of the waterbox...

Archived