TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hurst Shifter Thread

Hope you have better luck than i did.They told me it would take 45 min. three hours later they were done.They pulled my car in and forgot about it.How can you just forget about a Shelby sitting in the middle of the service dept?They never even apologized for it.

This is a very small rural Iowa dealership. They have done good work for me so far I just hope the change out of the part is the solution. I don't want it to be worse than when I started.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
Items installed in Las Vegas by SAI are replaced through PCG Cambell. Before the service dept begins the work, they are to call PCG Cambell at (800)367-3788 to set up a file for the claim.

My rattle/vibration problem was solved by taking the car to a Ford dealer. While sitting in the driver seat of my car, engine off, the Ford service mgr called either SAI or PCG Cambell. He was asked if there was play in the shifter when shifter is pushed down then pulled up. Answer was yes, between 1/8" and 1/4" inch of play.

SAI or PCG Cambell shipped a new Hurst shifter to Covert Ford who removed the old shifter and installed the new shifter. After the install I drove from Austin to the track in College Station, Saturday and Sunday I drove ~100 miles each day on the track, then returned to Austin.

The new shifter has not rattled or vibrated in the two months after the install.

Update AUG 22, 2008 (14,000 mi):

The second Hurst shifter worked great for four months then began rattling at the end of July. The Ford service manager is going to call me next week when the third shifter arrives.

Update AUG 22, 2008 (14,000 mi):

The second Hurst shifter worked great for four months then began rattling at the end of July. The Ford service manager is going to call me next week when the third shifter arrives.

Torque,

keep us posted. My 2nd one has been okay so far but we're only talking about 600 miles on the new one. It rattles a little but I think that is normal to have a little vibration in the shifter. My 1st one was very bad. Do these loosen up over time?

Dave

Torque,

keep us posted. My 2nd one has been okay so far but we're only talking about 600 miles on the new one. It rattles a little but I think that is normal to have a little vibration in the shifter. My 1st one was very bad. Do these loosen up over time?

Dave

Dave,

My second shifter began to rattle and vibrate sooner, and louder, than the original shifter. Today the Ford service tech installed the third Hurst shifter in the Shelby (14,380 mi). The install took ~1.5 hours. I will put it to the test today on my trip from Austin to Oklahoma.

Mike

• 3 months later...
Torque,

Dave

Dave,

How is the new shifter doing? Is it still okay, or has it gotten worse with time like some of the others have posted?

Wes

Dave,

How is the new shifter doing? Is it still okay, or has it gotten worse with time like some of the others have posted?

Wes

I had the issue with mine over a year ago and it was tightened, AND the exhaust bracket cut, and it still feels fine. There are really two issues here. The first is some shifters have loosened and and rattle or feel sloppy the second is the transfer of the vibration to the shifter from the exhaust. You can tighten all you want but if the transfer is still going on you're going to feel it. At least in my experience it took both to solve my issue.

• 3 weeks later...
Found a Ford Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) related to the shifter rattle/vibration.

Step 1. Hit the exhaust hanger with a hammer!!! (really)

Ultimately they recommend putting a stainless steel hose clamp around each hanger bracket. Sounds like a better solution than cutting them off. I’m going to give it a try next time I’m under the car.

TSB_06_4_1.pdf

Did the stainless clamps around each hanger bracket reduce the vibration from the exhaust and eliminate the vibration / rattle in the shifter?

mike

torquewrench1807

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to get updates. My shifter rattles from day 1, but I learned to live with it (3rd gear, etc). I just drove to birmingham and back and at 80mph, dont recall the rpm, but you could here the constant rattle.

From all the subjects here, Shifter, scoops, stripes, hood pins..It seems no solution fixes the problem and some are on 3rd and fouth scoops and shifters. i guess it's the price we have to take to have a modified Shelby

Just wanted to get updates. My shifter rattles from day 1, but I learned to live with it (3rd gear, etc). I just drove to birmingham and back and at 80mph, dont recall the rpm, but you could here the constant rattle.

From all the subjects here, Shifter, scoops, stripes, hood pins..It seems no solution fixes the problem and some are on 3rd and fouth scoops and shifters. i guess it's the price we have to take to have a modified Shelby

There are three things listed here you can do or have the dealer check for you. There is no reason to live with a bad shifter.

The price you pay is having to take care of each issue as it comes up. Not fun!

But there ya go.

:shift:

Thought this thread perished.

At 30,000 miles on SGT I purchased two 3" stainless steel hose clamps from Lowe's. Have pictures of hood scoop, stripes, and warped outer piece around upper grill that I will take to local Ford dealer when I take her in for oil change. Will take TSB and clamps to dealer as we work to resolve shifter rattle/vibration.

At 22,500 mi (December 8, 2008) Ford service tech installed the fourth Hurst shifter.

At 14,380 miles Ford tech installed the third replacement shifter in the Shelby GT. In November 2008 it too began to rattle and vibrate.

Even so, she is the best car I have owned.

• 3 weeks later...

Dang now I'm afraid to put many more miles on mine!!! I kinda wish my shifter did rattle, If I try any type of quick shift from 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 5th it hangs up. I've had a couple of missed shifts already and when I let my Bro-in-law drive it happened to him too! I don't trust the dealer I bought from, maybe I'll have to find a better dealer!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have had my 07 for almost 2.5 years ,lots of track time at Willow and Laguna Seca, the shifter just got a little loose recently , and the knob loosened ,,,,,,,,,but really these things were so easy to fix ,,,,,,why would any one go to a dealer .............Blue Lock Tite , and a couple wrenches ..................I would stay away from dealers for something this simple ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they surely give it to the a moron that has nothing to do .............It's easy do it yourself ................

Dave,

Wes

my 2nd shifter is okay so far. There is a little rattle at lower RPMs in 4th gear but nothing like before.

I finally have 2K on my vert, and we drove with the top up for once and the noise was just too loud. My wife was afraid something was going to fall off, wanted to turn around and go back before we got to our destination! I will check the bolts and but the hose clamps on. I have rebuilt enough hurst shifters on OLD cars, but expected that, but not to mess with a new one! I put my custom front license plate bracket that I bought from another member with the lower grill that I got from Shelby on. It was a lot of work, taking the plastic pan off and everything, but it looks and works real good! I also got some aluminum screws for the hood pins from mcmaster carr that were perfect.

OK, I put the hose clamps on and this may help. I am not sure what everyone is talking about when they say bolts are loose. There are only 2 bolts that I can see. Where the shifter connects to the arm and where the arm connects to the transmission. I had some time and was messing with the shifter. What I can see is that I only have problems with 3rd and 4th gear. When I mover the shifter back and forth on the road when it is making the noise, it stops. There is slop (back and forth) in 3rd and 4th gear, but not 1st and 2nd. This points to the trans. Take a look at your shifters and let me know. It shows to reason that if some have replaced the shifter 3 or 4 times and it is not fixed, it is not in the shifter. Do the stock mustang gt's have the same problem? By looking at the the shifter, it does not look "high performance", but I can not see a problem with it. WRITE BACK AS IT IS MAKING MY WIFE NERVOUS NOW!!!!--- Jack

OK, I put the hose clamps on and this may help. I am not sure what everyone is talking about when they say bolts are loose. There are only 2 bolts that I can see. Where the shifter connects to the arm and where the arm connects to the transmission. I had some time and was messing with the shifter. What I can see is that I only have problems with 3rd and 4th gear. When I mover the shifter back and forth on the road when it is making the noise, it stops. There is slop (back and forth) in 3rd and 4th gear, but not 1st and 2nd. This points to the trans. Take a look at your shifters and let me know. It shows to reason that if some have replaced the shifter 3 or 4 times and it is not fixed, it is not in the shifter. Do the stock mustang gt's have the same problem? By looking at the the shifter, it does not look "high performance", but I can not see a problem with it. WRITE BACK AS IT IS MAKING MY WIFE NERVOUS NOW!!!!--- Jack

Its not a saftey issue or in the trans the shifter rattles thats it no worries except that it is ANNOYING, so I just listen to the music louder or drive faster at whch point I could care less about the ratle...give your wife a xanex or a bloody mary and drive the dang thing... :hysterical:

Good Luck and Cheers!

Its not a saftey issue or in the trans the shifter rattles thats it no worries except that it is ANNOYING, so I just listen to the music louder or drive faster at whch point I could care less about the ratle...give your wife a xanex or a bloody mary and drive the dang thing... :hysterical:

Good Luck and Cheers!

My wife is a Doc at a max security prison and deals with a lot tougher situations than this, but lets stick the the subject and get this solved. A lot of other people have spent a lot of time on this, let's get it figured out.

My wife is a Doc at a max security prison and deals with a lot tougher situations than this, but lets stick the the subject and get this solved. A lot of other people have spent a lot of time on this, let's get it figured out.

So absent a sense of humor, there is no solution to the rattle that I know of... good luck.

Many have changed them out and they still rattle.

Sounds like a heinious job.

check the play in the shifter bearings... lift up in the ball and push down if it moves more than say .20k ( i don't know the exact tolerance) its the center section of the shifter Ive seen some that were real loose and rattled like hell

check the play in the shifter bearings... lift up in the ball and push down if it moves more than say .20k ( i don't know the exact tolerance) its the center section of the shifter Ive seen some that were real loose and rattled like hell

Thank you. Like I said, mine only has 2000 mi on it. I checked the up and down play in it and it has at least 3/4 of an inch. I did not measure it but it has way more than .200. If I take it to the dealer, what do I tell them? Are there any TSB's on the shifter or do I have to contact Shelby?

----Jack

• 1 month later...

I have the same rattle in 3rd/4th. I also had to trim a rear exaust hanger, tighten a swaybar link, secure a center fastener on lower radiator cover to get rid of various tapping sounds. Scoop can hold salsa if needed and is so far up it does not contact stripes (currently unrusty).

Both bolts on shifter and ball had to be tightened to reduce but not eliminate the rattle. Deceleration in third is most prominant.

Did this during the first few months, car (07SGT) has 12K mi. No dealer involved, lots of swearing, love every minute of repair process. I expected it being one of the first 200 or so.

Mikesdream

cd_post_009.jpg

cd_post_009.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same rattle in 3rd/4th. I also had to trim a rear exaust hanger, tighten a swaybar link, secure a center fastener on lower radiator cover to get rid of various tapping sounds. Scoop can hold salsa if needed and is so far up it does not contact stripes (currently unrusty).

Both bolts on shifter and ball had to be tightened to reduce but not eliminate the rattle. Deceleration in third is most prominant.

Did this during the first few months, car (07SGT) has 12K mi. No dealer involved, lots of swearing, love every minute of repair process. I expected it being one of the first 200 or so.

Mikesdream

cd_post_009.jpg

These shifters have a problem with up and down movement causing the rattle. If your shifter can be moved up and down with any play at all it needs replacement. We have done 2 of these lately and the newer shifters have a modified ball socket with (no) play and guess what no rattle. The repairs have to be approved by Shelby, and so far all have. I also noticed that FRPP has a shifter repair kit. One had a rattle so loud it gave an impression the trans was going out!! The shifter fixed it.

Hope this helps

Ted

Archived