TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hurst Shifter Thread

Guys, this is a caracteristic of the "performance" shifter. The lack of rubber isolaters provides a more positive shift feel... the downside - it transmits noise and vibrations. You cant have it both ways. Some aftermarket shifters minimize this better than others. Personally, I think the Hurst is not the greatest quality, its ok. But not the greatest. I like the Steeda Triax, I had it on my 04 Mach 1. It had very little noise, but still there.

I'm fine with the vibration. I know that is a characteristic, but the rattling noise has got to go. I I'm going to experiment with some rubber/latex between the nut and knob. I'm pretty sure this is what is causing the noise.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm fine with the vibration. I know that is a characteristic, but the rattling noise has got to go. I I'm going to experiment with some rubber/latex between the nut and knob. I'm pretty sure this is what is causing the noise.

I added teflon tape on the shifter knob threads right after I got mine back from the dealer and it hasn't helped much at all (none, really).

I added teflon tape on the shifter knob threads right after I got mine back from the dealer and it hasn't helped much at all (none, really).

I think it's more coming from the site of the nut touching the inside groove on the bottom of the shifter knob. I might be wrong but I don't think it's coming from the threads.

Guys, this is a caracteristic of the "performance" shifter. The lack of rubber isolaters provides a more positive shift feel... the downside - it transmits noise and vibrations. You cant have it both ways. Some aftermarket shifters minimize this better than others. Personally, I think the Hurst is not the greatest quality, its ok. But not the greatest. I like the Steeda Triax, I had it on my 04 Mach 1. It had very little noise, but still there.

On my 07 SGT I did not have any rattles out of the shifter at all and it had almost 6,000 miles on it when I traded for the 08. The 08 rattled from day one. The shifter handle bolts were loose and I torqued them down, it has improved some but not to the point that the 07 was. Still rattles enough that it needs to be addressed.

Skip

• 2 weeks later...

Found a Ford Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) related to the shifter rattle/vibration.

Step 1. Hit the exhaust hanger with a hammer!!! (really)

Ultimately they recommend putting a stainless steel hose clamp around each hanger bracket. Sounds like a better solution than cutting them off. I’m going to give it a try next time I’m under the car.

TSB_06_4_1.pdf

TSB_06_4_1.pdf

Anyone think about checking the pinion angle? I'm using the Steeda Tri-ax shifter and was running a -2 pinion angle and would get a lot of shifter vibration and noise at high rpm's so I turned it up to -1 and the vibration went away and the noise went down but not totally away. I know the SGT's are lowered which will change the pinion angle some but I'm not sure if it's enough to cause increased NVH from the shifter.

Cutting off the exhaust hangers seems extreem to me, I'd never do it and it seems like a lot of pipe (weight) to hang between the manifolds and the muffler hangers which is all that would be holding the exhaust system if you delete the middle hangers.

Yesterday while sitting in the driver seat of my car, engine off, the Ford service mgr called either SAI or PCG Cambell. He was asked if there was play in the shifter when shifter is pushed down then pulled up.

Answer was yes, between 1/8" and 1/4" inch of play. SAI is shipping new Hurst shifter to Covert Ford. That rattle drove me nuts for 7 months, I can hear it over the radio.

Found a Ford Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) related to the shifter rattle/vibration.

Step 1. Hit the exhaust hanger with a hammer!!! (really)

Ultimately they recommend putting a stainless steel hose clamp around each hanger bracket. Sounds like a better solution than cutting them off. I’m going to give it a try next time I’m under the car.

TSB_06_4_1.pdf

Definitely like to see how that turns out. I don't see anywhere around that bracket that you could put one of those clamps. There is nothing round. I'm going to crawl back up under there tomorrow and look again, but those diagrams in that pdf don't look like the pics I posted on page one of this thread.

Yesterday while sitting in the driver seat of my car, engine off, the Ford service mgr called either SAI or PCG Cambell. He was asked if there was play in the shifter when shifter is pushed down then pulled up.

Answer was yes, between 1/8" and 1/4" inch of play. SAI is shipping new Hurst shifter to Covert Ford. That rattle drove me nuts for 7 months, I can hear it over the radio.

Is your shifter being replaced under Ford factory warranty at your local dealership?

Is your shifter being replaced under Ford factory warranty at your local dealership?

No, the items installed in Las Vegas by SAI are replaced through PCG Cambell. Before the service dept begins the work, they are to call PCG Cambell at (800)367-3788 and set up a file for the claim.

The shifter removal and install is to happen this week. I'll let you know if the new shifter rattles and vibrates.

Anyone think about checking the pinion angle? I'm using the Steeda Tri-ax shifter and was running a -2 pinion angle and would get a lot of shifter vibration and noise at high rpm's so I turned it up to -1 and the vibration went away and the noise went down but not totally away. I know the SGT's are lowered which will change the pinion angle some but I'm not sure if it's enough to cause increased NVH from the shifter.

I have been pondering this issue for a while and WP64 beat me to what I think is the answer....I used to run in the 4X4 crowd and I know when you "raise" a vehicle, it causes pinion angle issues which translate into vibration in the shifter through the drive shaft and transmission...so it would stand to reason that if you "lower" a vehicle, the same thing could happen....

I have been pondering this issue for a while and WP64 beat me to what I think is the answer....I used to run in the 4X4 crowd and I know when you "raise" a vehicle, it causes pinion angle issues which translate into vibration in the shifter through the drive shaft and transmission...so it would stand to reason that if you "lower" a vehicle, the same thing could happen....

I don't believe that the pinion angle is an issue with the shifter rattle unless Ford changed part numbers from 07 to 08 as my 07 SGT was tight no rattles at all. My 08 SGT has rattled from day 1.

I don't think that every SGT manual car has this issue but I am asuming that they all have the same rear upper control arm. On my 06 GT I had the same suspension as the SGT plus panhard bar,brace adjustable upper control arm and lower control arms. It was a automatic car and at high speeds I had a vibration due to a bolt coming loose, once this was corrected it was fine but with the SGT's I have not had any vibration out of either the 07 or 08. That makes me think it is a shifter issue. I have seen a revised Hurst shifter some where online but do not know if any one has tried it as of yet. Hopefully we will hear back soon from some of the members who are having new shifters installed from Ford. On my 07 I do not recall any vertical play in the shifter, in my 08 I have 1/8" - 1/4" of vertical play. I do not know if that is relevent to the problem or not but it is the only visual difference I can tell between the two shifters.

No, the items installed in Las Vegas by SAI are replaced through PCG Cambell. Before the service dept begins the work, they are to call PCG Cambell at (800)367-3788 and set up a file for the claim.

The shifter removal and install is to happen this week. I'll let you know if the new shifter rattles and vibrates.

Any update on the new shifter?

The new Hurst shifter was installed by Ford on Thursday. On Friday I drove from Austin to the track in College Station, Saturday and Sunday I drove ~100 miles each day on the track, then returned to Austin.

The new shifter does not rattle and vibrate.

Thanks for the follow up. I'll be doing your exact procedure very soon.

The new Hurst shifter was installed by Ford on Thursday. On Friday I drove from Austin to the track in College Station, Saturday and Sunday I drove ~100 miles each day on the track, then returned to Austin.

Thats great news. Thanks for the update.

Now next on my list........Any one having trouble with their hood scoops and stripes??????? :hysterical:

Of lesser importance, but did they say if there was any difference between the old and new one that would justify the rattle on the original one?

I had posted on the old forum that our dealer told me that Hurst was redesigning the shifter and we'd get a new one. That was 2 or 3 months ago and I haven't had a chance to follow up yet. I'll be calling them tomorrow.

Thanks for the update.

Of lesser importance, but did they say if there was any difference between the old and new one that would justify the rattle on the original one?

I did not ask if the two shifters were different, and in what way. The new shifter seems slightly taller, and the numbers and letter R on the knob do not appear identical to those on the shaky shifter.

• 1 month later...
I do notice it is the worst in 3rd gear on mine, but it never does it when decelerating. This bugs me worst than anything...I've been carrying a 9/16 wrench and socket in the console for this for weeks changing torque levels! LOL

So far the only fix I have found is to force and hold the shifter towards the bottom/top of the H which of course is not a fix. It shifts as smooth as can be and looks bad a**, but that rattle has definitely got to go :waiting:

Yep I've noticed a rattling in 3rd gear as well when I accelerate. I really noticed it a lot more when I first got the car but I don't notice it as much now. Maybe the problem fixed itself or I've just gotten used to it and blocked it out.

I have some type of rattle problem with my 2007 SGT. I looked underneath the rear bumper and noticed some movement with the rear bumber hangers. It seems like the clips that hold on the rear bumper came loose and have some play in them. I'm going to take my car to the dealership and have them look at it and have the clips replaced to see if that fixes the problem.

I did not ask if the two shifters were different, and in what way. The new shifter seems slightly taller, and the numbers and letter R on the knob do not appear identical to those on the shaky shifter.

I've had this same problem. I took my car to the dealer and I was told that they were going to replace the shifter, too. Not sure if it was because they think that's the solution or if because I complained about needing it done. My biggest problem is the rattle/shudder that happens when I'm in third gear and I let my foot off the gas allowing the car to decelerate in third. First they ordered a stock MustGT shifter. They realized they didn't get it right and the Hurst is on order. It's not clear to me if the design will be different. This, to me, is almost as bad as the hood scoop issue. Oh, and I also had them document my warped scoop and they said a new scoop is on the way as well.

• 3 weeks later...
I've had this same problem. I took my car to the dealer and I was told that they were going to replace the shifter, too. Not sure if it was because they think that's the solution or if because I complained about needing it done. My biggest problem is the rattle/shudder that happens when I'm in third gear and I let my foot off the gas allowing the car to decelerate in third. First they ordered a stock MustGT shifter. They realized they didn't get it right and the Hurst is on order. It's not clear to me if the design will be different. This, to me, is almost as bad as the hood scoop issue. Oh, and I also had them document my warped scoop and they said a new scoop is on the way as well.

Okay, I almost hate to bring this up again but is there a known fix that is helping the shifter rattle? I took a 200 mile trip yesterday and when accelerating moderately hard in 3rd and 4th gear it rattled pretty good. In reading the earlier posts I had the cross member supports cut/torched off by a muffler shop. That didn't help and it happened before I saw the post from Cudafly about the service bulletin on the clamps. I'm going to call my dealer and have them look at it but wondered if there have been any new developments?

Dave

Okay, I almost hate to bring this up again but is there a known fix that is helping the shifter rattle? I took a 200 mile trip yesterday and when accelerating moderately hard in 3rd and 4th gear it rattled pretty good. In reading the earlier posts I had the cross member supports cut/torched off by a muffler shop. That didn't help and it happened before I saw the post from Cudafly about the service bulletin on the clamps. I'm going to call my dealer and have them look at it but wondered if there have been any new developments?

Dave

Items installed in Las Vegas by SAI are replaced through PCG Cambell. Before the service dept begins the work, they are to call PCG Cambell at (800)367-3788 to set up a file for the claim.

My rattle/vibration problem was solved by taking the car to a Ford dealer. While sitting in the driver seat of my car, engine off, the Ford service mgr called either SAI or PCG Cambell. He was asked if there was play in the shifter when shifter is pushed down then pulled up. Answer was yes, between 1/8" and 1/4" inch of play.

SAI or PCG Cambell shipped a new Hurst shifter to Covert Ford who removed the old shifter and installed the new shifter. After the install I drove from Austin to the track in College Station, Saturday and Sunday I drove ~100 miles each day on the track, then returned to Austin.

The new shifter has not rattled or vibrated in the two months after the install.

Items installed in Las Vegas by SAI are replaced through PCG Cambell. Before the service dept begins the work, they are to call PCG Cambell at (800)367-3788 to set up a file for the claim.

My rattle/vibration problem was solved by taking the car to a Ford dealer. While sitting in the driver seat of my car, engine off, the Ford service mgr called either SAI or PCG Cambell. He was asked if there was play in the shifter when shifter is pushed down then pulled up. Answer was yes, between 1/8" and 1/4" inch of play.

SAI or PCG Cambell shipped a new Hurst shifter to Covert Ford who removed the old shifter and installed the new shifter. After the install I drove from Austin to the track in College Station, Saturday and Sunday I drove ~100 miles each day on the track, then returned to Austin.

The new shifter has not rattled or vibrated in the two months after the install.

Thanks for the info. I'll share this with my dealer.

• 3 weeks later...

I had my new shifter installed Monday.The old shifted had a smaller softer bushing.Bad new is it rattles just like the old one.When i put my headers on i looked and did not see any hangers near the transmission.The service manager said he was told by Ford Racing it would rattle some.I think i will wait and try again in a couple of months.

I had my new shifter installed Monday.The old shifted had a smaller softer bushing.Bad new is it rattles just like the old one.When i put my headers on i looked and did not see any hangers near the transmission.The service manager said he was told by Ford Racing it would rattle some.I think i will wait and try again in a couple of months.

I get my shifter replaced next week, I'll post what the results are after installation.

I get my shifter replaced next week, I'll post what the results are after installation.

Hope you have better luck than i did.They told me it would take 45 min. three hours later they were done.They pulled my car in and forgot about it.How can you just forget about a Shelby sitting in the middle of the service dept?They never even apologized for it.

Archived