TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hurst Shifter Thread

My 07 SGT has developed a noticeable shifter rattle/vibration when under moderate to heavy power/acceleration. It also has what I would term excessive lateral play. I raised the car up and went underneath for a look. All components and linkage are tight and the tranny shifts are smooth. However, when I put my foot into it the rattle starts up and will continue through each gear position.

Anyone else experiencing the same issue? Any known remedies?

Thanks

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My 07 SGT has developed a noticeable shifter rattle/vibration when under moderate to heavy power/acceleration. It also has what I would term excessive lateral play. I raised the car up and went underneath for a look. All components and linkage are tight and the tranny shifts are smooth. However, when I put my foot into it the rattle starts up and will continue through each gear position.

Thanks

Remove/Cut the exhaust hangers at the trans cross member.

Fixed it for me!

-jeff

Thanks

There's also a nut or two to check on the base of the shifter if you pop the shift boot up from the console.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep I have the same problem. You described it perfectly...happens in every gear when you get on it. When I get time I will try the fix under the car. Any reference pics on that Jeff?

P.S. You can tighten the upper nut and 2 lower bolts below the boot until you are blue in the face and it won't fix it.

Remove/Cut the exhaust hangers at the trans cross member.

Fixed it for me!

-jeff

I have the same problem but only in 3rd gear, and only when decelerating. It is really bad at around 3500 RPMs.

Any ideas what it could be, or do you think the exhaust hangers still the culprit?

I have the same problem but only in 3rd gear, and only when decelerating. It is really bad at around 3500 RPMs.

Any ideas what it could be, or do you think the exhaust hangers still the culprit?

I do notice it is the worst in 3rd gear on mine, but it never does it when decelerating. This bugs me worst than anything...I've been carrying a 9/16 wrench and socket in the console for this for weeks changing torque levels! LOL

So far the only fix I have found is to force and hold the shifter towards the bottom/top of the H which of course is not a fix. It shifts as smooth as can be and looks bad a**, but that rattle has definitely got to go :waiting:

I've got the same issue - 3rd gear only and under hard acceleration.

That was my problem. So bad I used to keep my hand on the shifter.

I don't have any pics but when I told the service guy he seemed to know exactly what I was talking about. Liek I said, all I can tell you is my shifter is silent now. Your mileage may vary! :dreamy:

That was my problem. So bad I used to keep my hand on the shifter.

I don't have any pics but when I told the service guy he seemed to know exactly what I was talking about. Liek I said, all I can tell you is my shifter is silent now. Your mileage may vary! :dreamy:

I assume these are the hangers you are talking about.

post-8098-1202956264_thumb.jpg

I have the rattle at ~3500-5000 RPM's. Seems like there should be something better than just hacking them off. Anybody have any luck with a less radical approach?

post-8098-1202956264_thumb.jpg

I have the rattle at ~3500-5000 RPM's. Seems like there should be something better than just hacking them off. Anybody have any luck with a less radical approach?

Good info! I wish I could tell you, seems like it, but I am mechanically challenged and wouldn't want to say for sure. My dealer was told by Ford they were not needed. While that seems rather bizzare it has fixed the problem and should something happen it was done under warranty so... :waiting:

• 3 weeks later...

That's a good drawing. Here's a couple actual photos of the hangers. I crawled up under there to look at them , but just couldn't bring myself to cut them off quite yet. I'm hoping someone will update this thread with a better solution.

And look at that tranny leaking...tsk tsk

hangers.JPG

hanger2.JPG

hangers.JPG

hanger2.JPG

So, is this just removing the rubber part of the hangers? Or actually hacking the whole thing off?

This rattle is starting to drive me nuts.

I'm not going to cut mine off yet. I am waiting on the Shelby shifter right now because I want to see if that knob will rattle too. I read in another post or somewhere that if you put some rubber or silicon in the knob and screw it back on that it will go away due to the increased padding. This might be accurate since that is exactly where the rattle is coming from. Yep, I've heard it too long now myself lol!

This is the first I've heard of the hanger delete in the 08's tho. I wonder if there are any 08's out there with shifter rattles?? I bet there is.

I'm not going to cut mine off yet. I am waiting on the Shelby shifter right now because I want to see if that knob will rattle too. I read in another post or somewhere that if you put some rubber or silicon in the knob and screw it back on that it will go away due to the increased padding. This might be accurate since that is exactly where the rattle is coming from. Yep, I've heard it too long now myself lol!

This is the first I've heard of the hanger delete in the 08's tho. I wonder if there are any 08's out there with shifter rattles?? I bet there is.

Tranny leaking + shifter rattling == I'm on red alert right now anyway. Not too worried since I'm under warranty and the tranny is not leaking too bad. There is not a drop on my carport but looks to be sweating out of the tranny just a little bit. Had to get under there and clean it up some today.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Does any one have any new info on this subject? I had a 07 SGT that was perfect but traded for an 08 and I have the shifter rattle bad on hard acceleration. My top 2 bolts were loose but tightening them really did not improve much. I can understang how cutting of the exhaust hanger may help but do not think that is the root of the problem since my 07 was perfect and the problem isn't with everyone's car. I would like a more practical fix then cutting off the exhaust hangers.

Skip

Hello,

Does any one have any new info on this subject? I had a 07 SGT that was perfect but traded for an 08 and I have the shifter rattle bad on hard acceleration. My top 2 bolts were loose but tightening them really did not improve much. I can understang how cutting of the exhaust hanger may help but do not think that is the root of the problem since my 07 was perfect and the problem isn't with everyone's car. I would like a more practical fix then cutting off the exhaust hangers.

Skip

I, too, have the rattle problem during med/hard acceleration. I had the exhaust hanger thing done recently. I still have the high frequency vibration problem but maybe not as bad (still there though). I also have the problem with the shudder/vibration in the shifter handle which occurs during deceleration in third gear. Dealer said they fixed it via removing the exhaust hangers, but it didn't really go away. Going to another dealer next. :banghead:

I'll check mine tonight. I've only got 945 miles on it, so I have not really pushed it hard...only hand full of times above 4000 rpms. I have not heard any rattles yet. Just watch, I'll drive it to work tomorrow (supposed to be 69 F here in Atlanta) and it will sign like a canary! I'll let you know ASAP about if the hangers are present on my car. It didn't get to the dealership until mid January with a Ford build date of 09/12/07.

Andy.

Put on the Shelby shifter knob tonight hoping it would stop the rattling, but it didn't. This is basically the only reason I bought this shifter knob, so it's coming off now and the Q is going back on. Also the check engine light came on right after I replaced this part. Probably not related but I'm going to take it to AutoZone and see if they can run a diagnostic on it. :banghead:

Put on the Shelby shifter knob tonight hoping it would stop the rattling, but it didn't. This is basically the only reason I bought this shifter knob, so it's coming off now and the Q is going back on. Also the check engine light came on right after I replaced this part. Probably not related but I'm going to take it to AutoZone and see if they can run a diagnostic on it. :banghead:

check your gas cap if it is loose the check engine light will come on.

Guys, this is a caracteristic of the "performance" shifter. The lack of rubber isolaters provides a more positive shift feel... the downside - it transmits noise and vibrations. You cant have it both ways. Some aftermarket shifters minimize this better than others. Personally, I think the Hurst is not the greatest quality, its ok. But not the greatest. I like the Steeda Triax, I had it on my 04 Mach 1. It had very little noise, but still there.

Archived