TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What Is Ron Pratt Doing With All These Cars???

shelbymotorsports

Ok I know Ron Pratt is some sort of real estate developer in Arizona and is friends with Craig Jackson and his boys but what does he do with all these cars he buys?

Does he have a museum?

Have any of them turned up for sale elsewhere?

Help me fill in the blanks.

Steve

PS- What happened to that obnoxious guy that used to bid big bucks like Pratt. He was a short guy who always wore a Ferrari hat and/or shirt. From what I recall he didn't bid with his money but with money from a school or a museum. Something like that.

Ron Pratte has a private museum with over 450 highly collectable cars. It is not open to the public. I guess he just loves cars and collecting them. Nice hobby to have when you have more money than you know what to do with.

Yup,

Thats exactly what I'm going to do, I figure I need about 500 Million to do it right.

So once I get that saved I going to start my own museum and admission will be free to all Team Shelby members. :hysterical2:

Alan

PS- What happened to that obnoxious guy that used to bid big bucks like Pratt. He was a short guy who always wore a Ferrari hat and/or shirt. From what I recall he didn't bid with his money but with money from a school or a museum. Something like that.

Are you thinking of John Hendricks. He is the Discovery Channel (and related, like Animal Planet) and was buying for the Gateway Museum in Colorado. A group of us are going to go for a weekend trip this summer.

http://gatewayautomuseum.com/

I think he is a jerk!! Taking all these beautiful cars away from us so we can no longer enjoy them. All these guys that buy them up at high prices and stow them away from the public eye just piss me off. Taking away great classic cars to the point that no one will ever see any on the road any more...what a shame.

We all know money talks, and I have no issue with him or anyone buying what I can not afford, however I agree that it is a shame to hide them. At the very least, just like great paintings and art, pay and buy what you will, but allow others eyes to enjoy!

I do agree its his money and he can spend it however he wants but everytime I hear the name Ron Pratt it reminds me of another fellow named Otis Chandler.

Otis Chandler started out as a car guy but ended up being a rich snob in my eyes. At least towards the end Chandler would open up his private museum once a year for charity.

It was a shame how Chandler bought all these rare 60's musclecars just to sit in a Oxnard California warehouse until he was finally bored enough with them to sell them to mainly Japenese collectors. And no there is nothing wrong with Japenese collectors. Its just sad that these cars were removed from North America with a good chance never to be seen here again.

Only time will tell if the same happens with the Pratt collection. How many #001 Shelby's does one guy need?

Steve

I do agree its his money and he can spend it however he wants but everytime I hear the name Ron Pratt it reminds me of another fellow named Otis Chandler.

Otis Chandler started out as a car guy but ended up being a rich snob in my eyes. At least towards the end Chandler would open up his private museum once a year for charity.

It was a shame how Chandler bought all these rare 60's musclecars just to sit in a Oxnard California warehouse until he was finally bored enough with them to sell them to mainly Japenese collectors. And no there is nothing wrong with Japenese collectors. Its just sad that these cars were removed from North America with a good chance never to be seen here again.

Only time will tell if the same happens with the Pratt collection. How many #001 Shelby's does one guy need?

Steve

Lets not be fooled.... It is all about the money first, car second, with these guys! They will sell, to whomever, when the price is right. After all, they did not get rich making everyone happy! :banghead:

Ok I know Ron Pratt is some sort of real estate developer in Arizona and is friends with Craig Jackson and his boys but what does he do with all these cars he buys?

Does he have a museum?

Have any of them turned up for sale elsewhere?

Help me fill in the blanks.

Steve

Alan Rosenthal. I understand he was booted and 86'd from BJ. Why? I heard that the pip squeek tried to start his own auto auction through the museum he was representing. Don't know that to be fact, but that was the buzz that was on the floor this week.

Alan Rosenthal. I understand he was booted and 86'd from BJ. Why? I heard that the pip squeek tried to start his own auto auction through the museum he was representing. Don't know that to be fact, but that was the buzz that was on the floor this week.

That's the guy!!!

All I remember is that he reached an all time level of obnoxious behavior when he jumped in one of the cars on the auction block and refused to get out of the car. He should have been booted right then and there for disrupting the auction.

Steve

That's the guy!!!

All I remember is that he reached an all time level of obnoxious behavior when he jumped in one of the cars on the auction block and refused to get out of the car. He should have been booted right then and there for disrupting the auction.

Steve

Ferrari hat's name is Alan Lewenthal. He bought cars for John Hendricks - Gateway Auto Museum.

John is owner of The Discovery Channel. John and Alan are/were related, not sure if by blood.

Alan ownes Marquis Auto Restoration, Phila. PA.....and yes he is a tool.

Ferrari hat's name is Alan Lewenthal. He bought cars for John Hendricks - Gateway Auto Museum.

John is owner of The Discovery Channel. John and Alan are/were related, not sure if by blood.

Alan ownes Marquis Auto Restoration, Phila. PA.....and yes he is a tool.

Thanks for the update. That name sounds like the one I was thinking of.

Steve

I think he is a jerk!! Taking all these beautiful cars away from us so we can no longer enjoy them. All these guys that buy them up at high prices and stow them away from the public eye just piss me off. Taking away great classic cars to the point that no one will ever see any on the road any more...what a shame.

Ditto +1

Also remember that its people like this that is driving up the costs for us little people! We are the true car fanatics and these B-J idiots are pricing us out of the hobby! $300,000 to $500,000 for a Mustang is a :censored: ing joke!

Ditto +1

Also remember that its people like this that is driving up the costs for us little people! We are the true car fanatics and these B-J idiots are pricing us out of the hobby! $300,000 to $500,000 for a Mustang is a :censored: ing joke!

Well based on what a lot of the cars went for this week I'd say a lot of sellers were probably not to happy and this is the type of stuff that could put a end to the no reserve auction!

When you think about it......might be power complex! How many people can say they have #1 of every Shelby sold! If it doesn't belong to Carroll chances are Ron has it to add to a collection that he'll probably just sell off some day. Too bad for all the true collectors that enjoy driving their cars.

Just my 2 cents....but I'd rather drive than store in a warehouse somewhere!

Neil

Is this not America where a person can do what they want to with THEIR money.

Of course it is.

I was just wondering what he did with the cars. Does he drive them? Do they just sit in a dark warehouse? Does he resell them overseas? Does he loan them out to public museums?

They are HIS cars bought with HIS money. No one disagrees with that and that he can do what he wants with them. If he wants to crush them this Thursday its his right.

I never questioned his right to buy them. I was just interested in what happens to them after he buys them.

Steve

What did his final shopping cart have in it when he got to the checkout lane?

Tony I'm not sure but I'm thinking he spent less this year compared to others.

Notice how he didn't place a single bid on the Challenger that Craig Jackson won. Hmmm.

Steve

PS- I assume you saw the BJ Shelby #001 in the vendor area at BJ.

I find it really hard to believe that people are having a hard time with Ron Pratte buying these cars. He looks like a class act and was very pleased when I was able to meet him and have a picture with him at Mr. Shelby's Bash. He doesn't flaunt his money - he buys the cars, maybe smiles and that's it. He doesn't put on a big show like Alan Leuenthal (sp?) or the the guy who bought the first ZR1 for 1 million. I am pleased that all these Shelby's are going into one collection to a man who knows what they truly mean. Who knows, maybe one day he will open his collection up.

Like one person said earlier - he is living every car guys dream! That's it. He is a class act and I am pleased he loves/represents Ford and Carroll Shelby they way he does.

JMO

I find it really hard to believe that people are having a hard time with Ron Pratte buying these cars. He looks like a class act and was very pleased when I was able to meet him and have a picture with him at Mr. Shelby's Bash. He doesn't flaunt his money - he buys the cars, maybe smiles and that's it. He doesn't put on a big show like Alan Leuenthal (sp?) or the the guy who bought the first ZR1 for 1 million. I am pleased that all these Shelby's are going into one collection to a man who knows what they truly mean. Who knows, maybe one day he will open his collection up.

Like one person said earlier - he is living every car guys dream! That's it. He is a class act and I am pleased he loves/represents Ford and Carroll Shelby they way he does.

JMO

+1 A resl class act hpoe he does share his collection with the public but thats up to him

I think last year, right after he bought CSX 3015, they showed his warehouse. It was amazing, as I'm sure you would think.I guess it is just for him and invited friends. My girlfriend googled him. Supposed to have made his money in construction (hope for me yet, LOL) and he is supposed to be a very private person. Doesn't give interviews. I guess with his kind of money, he can afford to.

I don't know Ron Pratte, but I hear he is a very humble and private individual. What I do know is when he wants a car, forget it. He'll go to whatever price is necessary, witness $5MM Cobra last year. I can say that I am indebted to him for either not wanting, or not sticking around for, Carroll Shelby's '07 GT500 40th Anniversay Prototype (one off) at Barrett-Jackson this year. Today the car arrived at my home, direct from Barrett-Jackson, and now sits in my garage. I still don't understand why he didn't go after it. I am just glad he didn't. Perhaps he decided to let someone else enjoy the feeling of owning a Carroll Shelby owned vehicle. I will drive mine for others to see, just not a whole lot, and most certainly not to the grocery store!

I don't know Ron Pratte, but I hear he is a very humble and private individual. What I do know is when he wants a car, forget it. He'll go to whatever price is necessary, witness $5MM Cobra last year. I can say that I am indebted to him for either not wanting, or not sticking around for, Carroll Shelby's '07 GT500 40th Anniversay Prototype (one off) at Barrett-Jackson this year. Today the car arrived at my home, direct from Barrett-Jackson, and now sits in my garage. I still don't understand why he didn't go after it. I am just glad he didn't. Perhaps he decided to let someone else enjoy the feeling of owning a Carroll Shelby owned vehicle. I will drive mine for others to see, just not a whole lot, and most certainly not to the grocery store!

Congrtas again...and post pics,please. Enjoy and be safe...

Ron Pratte has a private museum with over 450 highly collectable cars. It is not open to the public.

I guess he just loves cars and collecting them. Nice hobby to have when you have more money than you know what to do with.

Maybe he could sponsor a team Shelby day and we could all bring our cars that we paid $500,000+ less for--kind of a "I'll show you mine if you show me yours"

Archived