TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Well...It's done. Over.

LuLu

I know this is off-topic here, and I expect that it will be "moved" to another thread somewhere (have we diced it up enough yet? And, I don't think we have nearly enough banners, but I digress).

However, I'm posting this here to share my news with my SGT brothers and sisters, and I really don't care if anyone else chimes in. You're welcome, but remember that it's me sharing with my friends, and I have made some very solid friendships in a short period of time at our old site. Love of the car does that to you, brings everyone closer together.

It's done...Over. The time stamp reads 1230 hours, 18 Jan. 2008, and since then, I am retired from my career in law enforcement. 30 years, six months to the day, 18 years as a Sergeant. Jeeze, there was a ton of paperwork, I think it's harder to retire than get hired in the first place! I signed so much crap, you would have thought it was a real estate closing!

In a way, it was. The real estate is my heart and my dedication to public service, and it's closed now.

I've seen a lot of things from a grand variety in assignments. From a foot man walking a beat, to deep cover Narcotics. Training officer, Homicide detective, Radio Dispatcher, Extradiction, Watch Commander, Commandig Officer, Internal Affairs Agent, State's Attorney's Office (my last assignment), and Liasion with outside agencies.

Not bragging, but I am in the top ten of the highest decorated officers. I've been shot, stabbed, crused between speedig cars, spit on and defiled, even a suspect in a crime. I've also been hugged, cried with victims and survivors left behind. Wiped noses and tears from folks 6 to 60, and deeply thanked for being in the right place at the right time. I even got killed once back in '83, but DRs. got me restarted in the ER. I am also the first in my Department of 15K officers to be saved by safety vest. I got a few medals and citations where I feel I did nothing earning that, and other times I got chewed out and transferred when I felt I should have been recognized. Guess it all evens out, go figure...

Walking away was a tough decision, but it was becoming a "love/hate" relationship, the girl friend from Hell. One minute you love her, the next you can't run fast enough to get away from her. The cop job is a kids job, time for an old man to step aside and stay out of their way. Not proud of everything I did, but I take comfort from the truth that it was necessary at the time.

I deeply admire members of our armed services protecting our country, and our freedom. But their stints in service are brief in comparasion before they go home and restart their lives. For me, it was going to war everyday, and I'm saddened by being there and watch nine of my friends give it up in the line of duty, and end their shift in the morgue. As a side drummer in the Department's traditional bagpipe band, I honored and burried 63 officers over the years. Each event took a piece of my heart, and these pieces don't grow back.

I hope this explains why I am sometims a bit nutty here, go off on someone when I think he's out of line. I do not tolerate bullies, liars, or, implied threats, but I'm not here to be a cop. Just trips my trigger because I've been protecting the underdog for over 30 years. Not an easy frame of mind to redirect, but I will try to learn, improve, and get along better. Thank you for your patience with me.

Wasn't all bad either, had more fun than not I suppose. It's hard to explain, there's nothing like the cop job anywhere in the world and when you save another's life, it all seems to balance out. You learn why you are doing this job to begin with, and who you really work for. A friend once told me "you don't control sh*t, He does (pointing up)", you just clean up the aftermath" and he was right.

My nick-name all over the world has been "Sargeant Mac", some bosses even thought it was my real last name. It's not, and today, I became "Retired Mac" and I'm very proud of my contributions over the years. But, I will miss The "Good Witch" and I have to deal with that.

No one need reply to this, I'm just sharing it for the sake of getting used to coming home after my very last shift, and looking forward to the turn to the next page. Hey...I made it, when many others haven't...No complaints.

Thanks for listening, y'all carry on gents, and be safe.

Retired Mac.

I know this is off-topic here, and I expect that it will be "moved" to another thread somewhere (have we diced it up enough yet? And, I don't think we have nearly enough banners, but I digress).

However, I'm posting this here to share my news with my SGT brothers and sisters, and I really don't care if anyone else chimes in. You're welcome, but remember that it's me sharing with my friends, and I have made some very solid friendships in a short period of time at our old site. Love of the car does that to you, brings everyone closer together.

It's done...Over. The time stamp reads 1230 hours, 18 Jan. 2008, and since then, I am retired from my career in law enforcement. 30 years, six months to the day, 18 years as a Sergeant. Jeeze, there was a ton of paperwork, I think it's harder to retire than get hired in the first place! I signed so much crap, you would have thought it was a real estate closing!

In a way, it was. The real estate is my heart and my dedication to public service, and it's closed now.

I've seen a lot of things from a grand variety in assignments. From a foot man walking a beat, to deep cover Narcotics. Training officer, Homicide detective, Radio Dispatcher, Extradiction, Watch Commander, Commandig Officer, Internal Affairs Agent, State's Attorney's Office (my last assignment), and Liasion with outside agencies.

Not bragging, but I am in the top ten of the highest decorated officers. I've been shot, stabbed, crused between speedig cars, spit on and defiled, even a suspect in a crime. I've also been hugged, cried with victims and survivors left behind. Wiped noses and tears from folks 6 to 60, and deeply thanked for being in the right place at the right time. I even got killed once back in '83, but DRs. got me restarted in the ER. I am also the first in my Department of 15K officers to be saved by safety vest. I got a few medals and citations where I feel I did nothing earning that, and other times I got chewed out and transferred when I felt I should have been recognized. Guess it all evens out, go figure...

Walking away was a tough decision, but it was becoming a "love/hate" relationship, the girl friend from Hell. One minute you love her, the next you can't run fast enough to get away from her. The cop job is a kids job, time for an old man to step aside and stay out of their way. Not proud of everything I did, but I take comfort from the truth that it was necessary at the time.

I deeply admire members of our armed services protecting our country, and our freedom. But their stints in service are brief in comparasion before they go home and restart their lives. For me, it was going to war everyday, and I'm saddened by being there and watch nine of my friends give it up in the line of duty, and end their shift in the morgue. As a side drummer in the Department's traditional bagpipe band, I honored and burried 63 officers over the years. Each event took a piece of my heart, and these pieces don't grow back.

I hope this explains why I am sometims a bit nutty here, go off on someone when I think he's out of line. I do not tolerate bullies, liars, or, implied threats, but I'm not here to be a cop. Just trips my trigger because I've been protecting the underdog for over 30 years. Not an easy frame of mind to redirect, but I will try to learn, improve, and get along better. Thank you for your patience with me.

Wasn't all bad either, had more fun than not I suppose. It's hard to explain, there's nothing like the cop job anywhere in the world and when you save another's life, it all seems to balance out. You learn why you are doing this job to begin with, and who you really work for. A friend once told me "you don't control sh*t, He does (pointing up)", you just clean up the aftermath" and he was right.

My nick-name all over the world has been "Sargeant Mac", some bosses even thought it was my real last name. It's not, and today, I became "Retired Mac" and I'm very proud of my contributions over the years. But, I will miss The "Good Witch" and I have to deal with that.

No one need reply to this, I'm just sharing it for the sake of getting used to coming home after my very last shift, and looking forward to the turn to the next page. Hey...I made it, when many others haven't...No complaints.

Retired Mac.

LuLu, been there, done that, got the t-shirt. You can retire but you will always be a cop! Best of Luck to you in retirement.

LuLu - I can't relate or compare; my profession is in construction and insurance; but I thank God for guys and gals like you that serve us. Thanks for all that you and your fellow law enforcement have done to protect and serve, and congratulations on your retirement!

Congradulations Fellow SGT, I have 17, I only hope I could make 25 let alone 30. That is a major dedication of your life not everyone can say they have accomplished. Time to enjoy yourself spend quiet evenings with the SHELBY.. :hysterical2:

What ever you do, don't go back and work for the Dept part time driving the jail van or something like that, all the guys do down here in Florida. HAPPY RETIREMENT :happy feet:

Retired Mac.

You have my deepest respect for your contribution in serving your community. We appreciate you.

Have a great retirement.

CB

Congratulations on your retirement! I also just retired after 30 years of Law Enforcement (Nov 07)!

My SGT was my retirement gift to myself!

Retirement is great after you learn to turn the job off! I am working on that now!

Take care and be safe! We are some of the lucky ones that made it to the date with health, sanity and plenty of life left to enjoy retiremnet!

Enjoy!

JG

07SGT1110

Congratulations on your retirement! I also just retired after 30 years of Law Enforcement (Nov 07)!

My SGT was my retirement gift to myself!

Retirement is great after you learn to turn the job off! I am working on that now!

Take care and be safe! We are some of the lucky ones that made it to the date with health, sanity and plenty of life left to enjoy retiremnet!

Enjoy!

JG

07SGT1110

Thank you, sir! And, thank you all for the good wishes.

My sanity is a matter for others here to determine, let's not ask?

My health is in doctor's hands as well. Got a few "speed bumps" to deal with, but I will.

I made it out under my own power nonetheless, and I'm looking forward to exhausting my bnefits.

Yes, an SGT is quite the perfect reward, and one hard earned. Drive it like you stole it?

Be safe.

Thanks for all your years of public service, I have a son that started with the CHP here in CA at the age of 21, he is now 32. I am so proud of him and his accomplishments. I'm sure your love of law inforcment is a llot like his. So I am proud of you as well. Just knowing what he does gives me a great deal of respect for you.

Thanks,

Clink

I retired in '02, and it's hard to walk away at first, but life goes on ( and actually gets better) after time. It's been your life for many years, and it will take time to change and get over it, but it is good. PM me if you want. Mark

Congrats on the retirement Mac. Glad you made it reasonably unscathed. Now it's time to enjoy yourself, doing what you want to do. Your years of service is greatly appreciated. By the way, let us see some pics of your SGT :waiting:

Jim

You were a cop??? Yikes!!!

...just kidding. Congrats and thank you for your service....this forum (or the old forum) would not be the same without your input. But I do need a cheat list of who is who....07SGT4729 is LuLu....Got it. thanks

Mac it is Bob Mathis. I know I to have got that t-shit. I retired 18yr ago from the Army. But I am still working but it well not be to much longer and I well do it again. That well be the last time. Have a get life. Yes you well all ways be a cop.

Now go and injoy your gift. Hope to see you in Tulsa.

Mac it is Bob Mathis. I know I to have got that t-shit. I retired 18yr ago from the Army. But I am still working but it well not be to much longer and I well do it again. That well be the last time. Have a get life. Yes you well all ways be a cop.

Now go and injoy your gift. Hope to see you in Tulsa.

OMG! OMG! OMG!

Bob! Sh*t...Small world! Haven't heard from you in years! I have some old numbers here, I'll give them a try tomorrow. Meanwhile, I'm at 312.401.1396. I'd love to catch up with you again, and soon I hope!

How's Jean?

Yep...Tulsa is on my personal map for sure now, can't wait. I'll be like Ennis all over again.

Ladies and gents, one great man, and total car nut. Respect is due.

God love you Bob, can't wait to hear your voice again.

Until then, be safe.

to all the men and women and K9s in law enforcement

:beerchug:

Amazing how many cops and military personnel we have here on one small forum. Must be the car, and the need for speed. Driving a Shelby is like being a cop, it sends a message what type of person you are. And your need. That need for speed is a great stress reducer!!!!!!

Thanks for adding K-9s. They are totally dedicated beyond belief.

Archived