TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Replacement

There was a lot of 411 over there, Robert, sorry to see it all gone. Any chance you could make it available as a "read only" database?

I don't have a dog in this scoop/hood hunt. I like my SGT hood scoop, as imperfect as it may appear from time to time. It's one of the reasons I bought the car, the rivets are very old school, as is the Hurst shifter "cue ball" knob and I love the retro feel of it all. When I was a kid just starting out, we all had to cut holes in our hoods and add "tear drop" style scoops to get clearance for high rise manifolds and larger carbs. With no options back then, we used rivets, or sheet metal screws to tie down the scoop. Lot's of memories and tribute in the SGT, and I believe this is exactly what Mr. Shelby wanted.

Changing over to another hood makes me shake my head in wonder about the affect on value down the road. I don't care what parperwork may document the problem and the fix, but it won't be seen as a genuine SGT anymore. Would a GT-H be that without the gold LeMans stipes?

+1

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made a deal with the dealer to order the scoop and let me install it, that way he makes labor money and I get to put the scoop on. I like the design of the new scoop, however I think it would be real easy for the rivets to wrinkle the aluminum hood as they are pulled.

I went to a local store that sells all manner of fasteners and bought 25 stainless steel 6-32 x 1/2 screws that have the same allen head as the fake screws on the original scoop. With the screws and fiber lock nuts I can apply only as much pressure as desired when installing the scoop. Only difficult part will be drilling the larger holes in the underside structure of the hood to get the nuts on. Also the scoop will be removable now if needed.

The worst problem with this whole thing is that the white tape stripe on the new scoop does not come close to matching the white on the car, it has a yellowish look to it. I am going to go ahead and do the install and worry about the color issue later, maybe when I get outside in good light it will be better.

Install will be later today and let you know how it goes.

Thanks

MAP

07SGT0687

I made a deal with the dealer to order the scoop and let me install it, that way he makes labor money and I get to put the scoop on. I like the design of the new scoop, however I think it would be real easy for the rivets to wrinkle the aluminum hood as they are pulled.

I went to a local store that sells all manner of fasteners and bought 25 stainless steel 6-32 x 1/2 screws that have the same allen head as the fake screws on the original scoop. With the screws and fiber lock nuts I can apply only as much pressure as desired when installing the scoop. Only difficult part will be drilling the larger holes in the underside structure of the hood to get the nuts on. Also the scoop will be removable now if needed.

The worst problem with this whole thing is that the white tape stripe on the new scoop does not come close to matching the white on the car, it has a yellowish look to it. I am going to go ahead and do the install and worry about the color issue later, maybe when I get outside in good light it will be better.

Install will be later today and let you know how it goes.

Thanks

MAP

07SGT0687

No one should have to go that after purchasing a warrented product -----------what should happen is Shelby should fix the problem with a

ALUMINUM SCOOP RIVITED TO THE HOOD - AND MAKE IT FUNTIONAL WHILE THEIR AT IT - LIKE IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Can't believe the aren't totally embare assed by this mess I would think if they don't have the expertise to fix it they should hire some one who does. IT'S NOT BRAIN SURGERY ! ......I tell you STEEDA , ROUSH , SALEEN, they all must be laughing up their sleeves by now.

I like my car ...................but I can't be at peace with the fact I paid 45,000 dollars and ended up with a defective waranty , and a defective SCOOP ,

I fixed the muffler hanger interference with the bumber myself, And I could prbably fix this , but there is some principal here, If I worked for Shelby on these cars I would take this as a personel challange to GET IT RIGHT.

I hope it's nor all just bottom line at SAI ......................Zale Schuster

No one should have to go that after purchasing a warrented product -----------what should happen is Shelby should fix the problem with a

ALUMINUM SCOOP RIVITED TO THE HOOD - AND MAKE IT FUNTIONAL WHILE THEIR AT IT - LIKE IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Can't believe the aren't totally embare assed by this mess I would think if they don't have the expertise to fix it they should hire some one who does. IT'S NOT BRAIN SURGERY ! ......I tell you STEEDA , ROUSH , SALEEN, they all must be laughing up their sleeves by now.

I like my car ...................but I can't be at peace with the fact I paid 45,000 dollars and ended up with a defective waranty , and a defective SCOOP ,

I fixed the muffler hanger interference with the bumber myself, And I could prbably fix this , but there is some principal here, If I worked for Shelby on these cars I would take this as a personel challange to GET IT RIGHT.

I agree with aluminum being the correct material for the scoop and suggested that months ago. Being functional would be great too and I would like to see SAI come up with a modification which owners could either have installed by SAI or perform themselves. Of course this would have to involve some ducting or change in the filter location and intake tube.

As for the current full-rivet fix, my prediction is that stress cracks will begin to show up in the plastic scoops which are installed this way.

I had an issue with exhaust system rattles also; Ford (my dealer and Ford Racing) and Shelby did a great job for me in resolving and correcting the problem.

I'm sure SAI is embarassed by this and I believe they will make it right for us; Amy has already stated (see the sticky) that there is a manufacturer and tooling change underway and the issue will be corrected properly.

An aluminum scoop on these rather thin and flimsy hoods would also be a challenge IMO. The sccop would be stiffer than the hood by the nature of its shape and might cause wrinkling of the hood when riveted. At this point, with this hood, a mod to the plastic scoop is the best bet.

My scoop has the dip but it fits great. If SAI come out with another scoop that corrects the dip, I'll go for it, but there is always the risk of the dealer screwing it up.

I have almost finished the install, took me most of the day however. I had to remove the tape stripe because of the color mismatch, had a pint of paint mixed and mounted the scoop to mark the stripe, masked the stripe, removed the scoop and painted the stripe on. The color is the same now. And all I had to buy was a pint of paint ($40), I already had the activator and other supplies needed.

I did however underestimate the screw length needed and will have to buy 3/4" screws on Monday in order to finish.

This scoop is not fiberglass or hard plastic, it is a kind of rubber type material, it is soft, had it been fiberglass it could be worked and finished properly. The dip or line people are seeing toward the front is the mold mark where the front plastic grille is mounted to the scoop. The scoop does lay on the hood well and fits much better than the original. The trick is not to pull it down too tight and warp the aluminum hood or let the rivet heads dig into the scoop.

I really don't like the look of those pop rivets that is why I chose to use stainless screws with the allen heads, besides my stripes under the scoop are starting to pull or bunch up and I see the need to be able to remove the scoop when I have to either paint the silver stripes or replace the tape.

A word of caution to people with white cars, be sure and check the color of the stripe before you let the dealer install the scoop. Once it's on it will be hard to correct that problem.

Thanks

MAP

07SGT0687

Where did Amy say this?

Read through the previous posts; she said this and it was posted in a sticky, but somehow some of Amy's stickys (including that one) have been lost and they are trying to retrieve them.

I have almost finished the install, took me most of the day however. I had to remove the tape stripe because of the color mismatch, had a pint of paint mixed and mounted the scoop to mark the stripe, masked the stripe, removed the scoop and painted the stripe on. The color is the same now. And all I had to buy was a pint of paint ($40), I already had the activator and other supplies needed.

I did however underestimate the screw length needed and will have to buy 3/4" screws on Monday in order to finish.

This scoop is not fiberglass or hard plastic, it is a kind of rubber type material, it is soft, had it been fiberglass it could be worked and finished properly. The dip or line people are seeing toward the front is the mold mark where the front plastic grille is mounted to the scoop. The scoop does lay on the hood well and fits much better than the original. The trick is not to pull it down too tight and warp the aluminum hood or let the rivet heads dig into the scoop.

I really don't like the look of those pop rivets that is why I chose to use stainless screws with the allen heads, besides my stripes under the scoop are starting to pull or bunch up and I see the need to be able to remove the scoop when I have to either paint the silver stripes or replace the tape.

A word of caution to people with white cars, be sure and check the color of the stripe before you let the dealer install the scoop. Once it's on it will be hard to correct that problem.

Thanks

MAP

07SGT0687

You are exactly correct in saying the crease that I have , as well as others, is where the plastic grill of the scoop is mounted underneath. Mine does lay MUCH better than the old scoops..now if I can just get rid of the crease !

I did talk to my installer after this crease got worse. He used exact pressure etc installing the rivets. ( this guy does ALOT of rivet work ) My rivets look great..no gouging into the scoop.

I hope Shelby can get this issue with the crease fixed, and I think we will all be happy. (or most of us ? :) )

Amy did have a sticky about it, but it did disappear. Hopefully she will repost on what is going on.

Sue

An aluminum scoop on these rather thin and flimsy hoods would also be a challenge IMO. The sccop would be stiffer than the hood by the nature of its shape and might cause wrinkling of the hood when riveted. At this point, with this hood, a mod to the plastic scoop is the best bet.

My scoop has the dip but it fits great. If SAI come out with another scoop that corrects the dip, I'll go for it, but there is always the risk of the dealer screwing it up.

Aluminum can be formed in almost any shape or compound contour using Gurin /Platen / Hydro Form press's , there are many shops that do this in Southern Ca. for the aircraft , and aerospace industry ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I am amazed that SAI did not go direct to somplace like AirCraft Hydroform ,,,,,,,,,it's like right around the corner from his LA offices , or Santafe Springs somwhere done there .............This would have been a no brainer and in the long run would have saved this mess we all have now..................I think it was a money discision to go with PLASTIC and it was cheaper ...................geez the didn't put the intake tube on for the Steeda Cold/Ford Racing cold air kit , and that was just a "we can save a buck here thing".

Zale Schuster

Is there a material change...........? to Aluminum?????

she never said. i read the post before it disappeared. it said that they are working with a new vendor, but it still might be some sort of plastic

supposed to be done in 10 weeks (although I am not sure what sort of weather and temp validation can be done in that time frame)

I think most of these vendors are self validated, in other words, the oem trusts that testing on the materials used have already been done (sometimes not so good)

I had the "final" hood scoop fix done. Rivets look great...but it's developing this "crease" about 3-4 inches from the front. John was aware, but now that he isn't there, I am going to contact Bud. Going to let Bud catch his breath after all the events before I pursue this ..again.

Several of us that have had the final fix done are having this issue.

Where is John??????

Am I missing something?

Alright guys i just went out and took these. I received my car (#5236) the end of Oct. and my scoop hasn't changed from the day i took delivery. While it's not perfect, compared to others i think it is decent, and if it stays the same i won't complain. It's in the teens today although my garage is somewhat warmer.

100_1182.jpg

Is it possible this car has the older scoop but riveted on? It does looks good!

I can't say, but there are SO MANY variables this who knows. Believe me if it was easy SAI would have fixed this LONG ago. They have already absorbed a lot of $$$ replacing and reworking these. Many people have offered suggestions how to fix them and I don't know enough to say what would work or not, but I can say that SAI is working hard to come up with a solution. They thought they had one but it seems it brings a new set of possible problems. If you're scoop is fine great the rest of us will just have to stand-by and wait for more word.

I can't say, but there are SO MANY variables this who knows. Believe me if it was easy SAI would have fixed this LONG ago. They have already absorbed a lot of $$$ replacing and reworking these. Many people have offered suggestions how to fix them and I don't know enough to say what would work or not, but I can say that SAI is working hard to come up with a solution. They thought they had one but it seems it brings a new set of possible problems. If you're scoop is fine great the rest of us will just have to stand-by and wait for more word.

This fiberglass one from Tony Branda which was designed for the Cobra IS apparently being used for the '05-'08 Mustangs too!!

http://www.cobranda.com/accofihosc.html

This may be a way out if all else fails.

Yeah, I saw that. I mean to compare the measurements...have you?

I printed it out and gonna do it when I get home. Of course its just a back-up idea in case SAI just can't solve this problem.

I'll be surprised if it is the same size. This route may require a new hood, paint and stripes, and a way to close the front of the scoop to keep from collecting bugs and stuff. But a standard hood, stripes and paint should be reasonable and the paint and riveting of the scoop should be too if the scoop fits the hood OK.

Could be. Tonight is going to be a good test. Getting up to 62 today then dropping to 30 in a two hour time frame this afternoon, then going on down to 16 tonight. Crazy weather. We will see if my scoop comes alive.

I printed it out and gonna do it when I get home. Of course its just a back-up idea in case SAI just can't solve this problem.

I'll be surprised if it is the same size. This route may require a new hood, paint and stripes, and a way to close the front of the scoop to keep from collecting bugs and stuff. But a standard hood, stripes and paint should be reasonable and the paint and riveting of the scoop should be too if the scoop fits the hood OK.

The length and height will work but the Shelby GT scoop is over 16 inches wide. So we would need a new hood to make this work and it would look rather small compared to the Shelby GT scoop.

I love the way the Shelby GT scoop looks. It really makes the car IMO. It needs to be fixed! It's sooooooo close. Mine fits very well and the rivets look good. My dealer did a good job on the install, but the dip is getting worse and seems to get worse as I drive it and the engine heats it up.

The length and height will work but the Shelby GT scoop is over 16 inches wide. So we would need a new hood to make this work and it would look rather small compared to the Shelby GT scoop.

I love the way the Shelby GT scoop looks. It really makes the car IMO. It needs to be fixed! It's sooooooo close. Mine fits very well and the rivets look good. My dealer did a good job on the install, but the dip is getting worse and seems to get worse as I drive it and the engine heats it up.

ditto what he said !

ditto what he said !

Why don't they just stamp the scoop out of aluminum and get it over with! Pop rivet it on and be done with this nightmare. My second scoop is worst than the original. I've got the new scoop #3 with the insert at my dealer waiting to be put on. I'm probably going to send it back. The body shop manager said it would be a disaster to put it on the car. It's nicked on the edge and the dip is bad even when the insert is slipped in.

Archived