TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Replacement

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have had my SGT since May O7 , I love tinkering and modifing this car , alu Drive Shaft, smooth air duct (don't know why they left the stock one ? the Steeda Duct didn't cost that much) , MSD coils, Brenspeed Tune , and Steeda Billet Lower Control Arms, Shelby Baer 14" brakes with 20" Gray Razors..............Great car but BUUUUUUUUT the hood is weak any way, it makes me nervous at speed , I actually CA Glued my scoop along time ago , and it has stayed put , but this car is CRYING for a real scoop!!!

It deserves a real ram air system , and if some one made the mod it would sell.................This does take testing , flow dynamics for engine performance (no more then 20hrs testing and data collection , 60 data eval) , and Aero stuctural effects at speed About the same man hours. .............But there are more Mustangs out there than Shelby has made , and when guys see something like this installed on a SHELBY .............well I think it has merit.......................ZDS

+1

I saw a fiberglass hood that had a ram air built into it either on this site or in a Mustang Mag. But it was not a Shelby part. and did not look as cool as our stock scoop.

QUESTION......for those of you that have had your scoop replaced, did you find that the original scoop was in better shape than the replacement? My original seemed better as far as holding shape. The replacement has a crease across it for sure that stands out like a sore thumb.

QUESTION......for those of you that have had your scoop replaced, did you find that the original scoop was in better shape than the replacement? My original seemed better as far as holding shape. The replacement has a crease across it for sure that stands out like a sore thumb.

Yes, old scoops were better, however, my first two scoops did not have a crease but they didn't sit flat. My new scoop now has a very noticable horizontal crease 4" from the leading edge, but sits flat .

That looks good. No warp issues I assume? Kinda shiny in the sun I'd bet.

That is EXACTLY what we need, manufactured to our hood curvature. That would solve all the issues I think.

Here is a picture of my 3rd scoop which was replaced on Monday by SAI. It sits flat but has a similiar crease like sdear's.

I had mine replaced recently and mine looks like it has a dip or crease. It is likely due to the new web that runs across the underside of the new scoop in this area. I saw one '08 at the dealer and it has the same dip or crease. I have to say my scoop isn't perfect but it's 10 times better than it was with the wrinkles, buckles and gaps.

This crease is probably a scoop design issue and not an installation problem so I would not expect a replacement to eliminate the crease. However, it's severity may vary depending on tolerances.

I do worry about the dealer screwing up drilling out the rivets and installing another scoop. So unless SAI does another redesign, I'm going to wait until others have tried a replacement before I try another.

Keep in mind the holes are already drilled in your hood, so a replacement scoop may not help.

The one thing that is good is that you can't see it when you are sitting in the drivers seat like the gaps and wrinkles, etc. on the other scoop! You have to be out of the car and looking at the right angle w.r.t reflection to see it. I have a couple of other imperfections in the car that I don't worry about because I don't have to look at them all the time.

I'm still happy I had it done because it is alot better than the old scoop.

That is EXACTLY what we need, manufactured to our hood curvature. That would solve all the issues I think.

Even the Fiberglass Repro that Tony Branda sells for the 427 Cobras seems to be working out well for other non-Shelby Mustang owners...

http://www.cobranda.com/accofihosc.html

post-8727-1201031929_thumb.jpg

And for just $70 + shipping, I might just order one to see how close it comes to what is on my SGT... And when I'm done comparing the two, I'll paint it white with a silver stripe to hang in my office :happy feet:

07SGT0547

post-8727-1201031929_thumb.jpg

The Branda hood scoop looks ok does anyone know of any cars that these have been installed on I have bought alot from Branda for my sixty Shelbys and have always been pleased. I thnk Shelby should try this sccop and if good paint and supply them along with install to all Shekby GT customers this may be a cheaper way for them to go, the one they make now is just plain junk, looks like cobra scoop BUT poor quality.

That looks good. No warp issues I assume? Kinda shiny in the sun I'd bet.

I would like to see it tested on one of our hoods before saying this is a fix. It could be the mustang hoods are so flimsy compared to the cobra's, this scoop would be pulling on the hood and wrinkling it.

but I must say, if in 5 years the scoop I have has issues, this would be my first option.

I had mine replaced recently and mine looks like it has a dip or crease. It is likely due to the new web that runs across the underside of the new scoop in this area. I saw one '08 at the dealer and it has the same dip or crease. I have to say my scoop isn't perfect but it's 10 times better than it was with the wrinkles, buckles and gaps.

This crease is probably a scoop design issue and not an installation problem so I would not expect a replacement to eliminate the crease. However, it's severity may vary depending on tolerances.

I do worry about the dealer screwing up drilling out the rivets and installing another scoop. So unless SAI does another redesign, I'm going to wait until others have tried a replacement before I try another.

Keep in mind the holes are already drilled in your hood, so a replacement scoop may not help.

The one thing that is good is that you can't see it when you are sitting in the drivers seat like the gaps and wrinkles, etc. on the other scoop! You have to be out of the car and looking at the right angle w.r.t reflection to see it. I have a couple of other imperfections in the car that I don't worry about because I don't have to look at them all the time.

I'm still happy I had it done because it is alot better than the old scoop.

+1

I am going to wait and see, as it is better,but I would like to get rid of that dip !

Stopped and looked at Rousch Mustang again Ford dealer was closed does anyone know that thier scoop is made of? looks good on hood no gaps flexing etc maybe Shelby should contact them to find out supplier and then have that person make sccop for our cars this scoop issue is Shelbys problem they need to fix it.

Ok so I looked at my car long and hard today, I do like the scoop. Mine is warped, with big gaps and has a few strange bumps. I have noticed them, passerby have not. I agree with most, for me I dig the look. How long is the warranty on this part? I am afraid that the "fix" will be warped in another area of scoop and with holes in my hood. If anybody has attached an aluminum or the glass part to a mustang hood could you post pics?

While I appreciate the offer, I will wait for the scoop issue to be resolved. I personally do not care for the CS6 hood, and prefer the scoop. Please keep us informed of what the head of production thinks about the issue.

Thanks,

Sue

Ditto, I bought the car with this hood, I want this hood fixed properly, once and for all.

I like the other hood ok, but not at 25% discount. that doesnt sound like a deal, especially since i assume the risk of the paint job, stripes and installation. if the hood was considered an upgrade, I would pay 25% and SAI or Ford assumes the risks and warranty after the repair. that would be more acceptable. (not to mention the possibility that collectability is affected)

my .02

So let me get this straight, The original scoop that came on my brand new 40k car is defective. All current "fixes" offered (in the last year?) dont work and now we are offered a different hood at some discount?

So SAI sells the new hoods at cost, loses nothing, I assume the cost of painting, striping, installation, etc, and then SAI is off the hook for a repair that has been an issue since day one?

Doesnt sound like a deal for anyone but SAI.

I say fix the original scoop properly once and for all. If it means eating the cost to switch to aluminum, fine.......that is what a warranty is for, not side stepping the original issue by having us change a major componet to the look of the car. Acknowledging it is only an offer for those interested.

And by the way, I heard "someone" had 7 different "Hertz" hoods put on their car before it was acceptable, so dont think for a minute that the switch will necessarily end your hood issues.

Please fix the scoop, whatever the cost, and make everyone of us experiencing this problem as happy as we were the first day we had the keys put in our hands.

Again, love my car, I think my love for the man and his charity is well documented, I have every respect for SAI and their products and staff, but often its details like this that spoil the soup.

Jeff, you might want to read the post concerning swapping to this hood from someone that has already done it, it was just posted. Also, when someone like me just spent a bunch of money buying a brand new 07, I have no interest in spending another big wad of $ on a replacement hood. The one that came on my car should be a quality piece to start with. No disrespect meant to you, just how I feel after my car being in the bodyshop for the last 4 days and still not correct. And note this offer was only made to folks with problem scoops which I take as the easy way out to get around fixing them.

u hit the nail directly on the head my friend!

I agree with all above people we spent upwards of 35-40 $ on these cars mine is over year old now,I recieved email from Shelby telling me scoop is now changed again different now which scoop is this and how can I be sure this is right one? also Called Ford and they said most dealers are not following install details that is why hood are buckling, what is going on here I feel sorry for some who are on 4-5 th. scoop I stopped at second one and will wait and see that was last Mar07 just change sccop and fix problem I have been told by Shelby that I am degrading whcih I have not I have spent good money and just want good product, let them spend 40.000 with my company and let me take a year to fix I do not think they would be as patient as we all have been!

I agree with all above people we spent upwards of 35-40 $ on these cars mine is over year old now,I recieved email from Shelby telling me scoop is now changed again different now which scoop is this and how can I be sure this is right one? also Called Ford and they said most dealers are not following install details that is why hood are buckling, what is going on here I feel sorry for some who are on 4-5 th. scoop I stopped at second one and will wait and see that was last Mar07 just change sccop and fix problem I have been told by Shelby that I am degrading whcih I have not I have spent good money and just want good product, let them spend 40.000 with my company and let me take a year to fix I do not think they would be as patient as we all have been!

My dealer followed the instructions to the T.

So let me get this straight, The original scoop that came on my brand new 40k car is defective. All current "fixes" offered (in the last year?) dont work and now we are offered a different hood at some discount?

So SAI sells the new hoods at cost, loses nothing, I assume the cost of painting, striping, installation, etc, and then SAI is off the hook for a repair that has been an issue since day one?

Doesnt sound like a deal for anyone but SAI.

I say fix the original scoop properly once and for all. If it means eating the cost to switch to aluminum, fine.......that is what a warranty is for, not side stepping the original issue by having us change a major componet to the look of the car. Acknowledging it is only an offer for those interested.

And by the way, I heard "someone" had 7 different "Hertz" hoods put on their car before it was acceptable, so dont think for a minute that the switch will necessarily end your hood issues.

Please fix the scoop, whatever the cost, and make everyone of us experiencing this problem as happy as we were the first day we had the keys put in our hands.

Again, love my car, I think my love for the man and his charity is well documented, I have every respect for SAI and their products and staff, but often its details like this that spoil the soup.

ditto ditto and ditto

Sdear that is not good news now who is telling lies and trying to pass buck who is going to repair your hood Ford or Shelby I like most SGT owners are playing waiting game I think only hope we do not have to wait past warranty time and then we be kaput

Sdear that is not good news now who is telling lies and trying to pass buck who is going to repair your hood Ford or Shelby I like most SGT owners are playing waiting game I think only hope we do not have to wait past warranty time and then we be kaput

We all might want to consider pursuing the Lemon Law, if the scoop issue is not being addressed by Ford or SAI. Let's see what Amy's response is after she speaks to her production manager.

:tequila:

Yup,

Down to about 2 years on my warranty. I of course was scolded when I started posting about this issue on the old forum.

I agree with what has been posted also. It's bad business. US car companies wonder why they have problems. This is the first US car I've purchased in ages. I live in Michigan, our economy is dying but it's our own fault. This again sours my opinion of US cars.

I love driving the car, but the corners cut originally, and now a year later is taking some of the fun out of it. Personally, that crease would bother me more than the lifting I get so for now, I'll continue to stick with the lifting.

I sure wish Shelby would handle this. Trying only counts for so long. At some point, people want a complete, tested, and permanent solution.

Additionally, I believe you shold get another 3 years or 36k miles AFTER a new scoop is installed.

Yup,

Down to about 2 years on my warranty. I of course was scolded when I started posting about this issue on the old forum.

I agree with what has been posted also. It's bad business. US car companies wonder why they have problems. This is the first US car I've purchased in ages. I live in Michigan, our economy is dying but it's our own fault. THIS AGAIN SOURS MY OPINION OF US CARS.

I love driving the car, but the corners cut originally, and now a year later is taking some of the fun out of it. Personally, that crease would bother me more than the lifting I get so for now, I'll continue to stick with the lifting.

I sure wish Shelby would handle this. Trying only counts for so long. At some point, people want a complete, tested, and permanent solution.

Additionally, I believe you shold get another 3 years or 36k miles AFTER a new scoop is installed.

:stop: I seriously doubt that the scoop is made in this country, which might be a lot of the problem. :speedie:

+1

Amy is offering a possible solution that she can authorize on her own TODAY. I was considering this hood but couldn't afford it and had to cancel. Meanwhile I have grown fond of the scoop so I am hoping mine holds out. For those that were on the fence and have been considering this as an upgrade this is a good deal. If you were not then the idea of spending $1000+ for trim/finish and paint etc., probably is not something you're going to jump on and this option isn't for you.

Now, having said that, anyone know if the Super Snake hood fits our cars? I like that one and it's $1100 fully trimmed and prepped! At 25% off that's the same price as an untrimmed CS6/8 hood. That would tempt me! B)

I seem to remember from the old forum that the supersnake hood will NOT fit our cars--otherwise, I'd seriously consider that or the GT500KR hood. I like the scoop, mine lifts on thhe back corners and needs to be fixed, but I think I'll hold off on the "fix" until it's completely resolved. It sounds like maybe the insert needs to be the full length of the scoop to prevent the crease.

Yup,

I agree with what has been posted also. It's bad business. US car companies wonder why they have problems. This is the first US car I've purchased in ages. I live in Michigan, our economy is dying but it's our own fault. This again sours my opinion of US cars.

yep, I am in michigan too, you are right about that. the warranty should be extended on this component. i am almost thru 1 year of ownership too. I think the problem here is that the base mustang is ok, but the aftermarket parts like this hood scoop are not validated thru the full testing schedule that the rest of the car is. shelby cars probably trusted the vendor that it was a good part. alot of aftermarket parts are like this, they just get away with it. probably nowhere close to what ford does for testing.

I dont know if anybody else has this issue, the black factory grille surround (the part surrounds the shelby grille) is warped from the sun or heat right next to where it meets the front bumper fascia. I think shelby cuts so much of the material out of this part to attach the shelby grille, the surround structure is compromised. I may get that replaced also, just dont like the dealer yanking everything apart.

After the talk from Shelby on new scoops I decided to stop by Ford dealer and look at 08 Shelbys guess what they have crease in front of scoop and stripes are pulled by rivets if I were buying one of these I would be upset. Dealer asked me how mine is bad subject I told him had my brothers body shop install second scoop was good for about a month he was suprized with the sccops on 08s.I told him I like car but this problem has been going on for over one year he remembered that I almost cancelled car after looking at sccop and stripes and scratched my bother fixed the latter problems BUT the scoop remains. Owner asked if I want his help I told him I let him know but I feel Shelby would tell him same thing they toldme same stroy different day. I am sure SAI is tired of hearing us complain the answer for them is make scoop right if that entails different material so be it . I would like to know number of people with bad scoops I am sure it is more than half

Archived