TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Replacement

OK Guys, I have to tell you. When you pay this kind of money for a car and with a name like SHELBY associated you don't expect to have to deal with something like this continually (or have to wait on the fence or hope it doesn't get worse or settle for it not being as bad as others) I mean no respect to any of you here. I guess that I am shocked that there are so many of you being SO patient. As many of you may remember I was really "on the fence" about even buying this car because of the whole hood scoop issue in the first place. While nobody is perfect and problems do happen it seems that this is non ending for many folks and I do not see an end. Before I bought this car I emailed SAI about my concern to spend this much money on a car that has an inherent problem from the start. (hood scoop) I was reassured by them that this was an easy fix and the problem was corrected after approximately the first 1200 cars. I hear that I am not the only person to have had their scoop "fixed" in a worse way. Either SAI is burying their head in the sand or the problem is bigger than they think?

It just so happens that there is a Stage 3 Rousch convertible at the same dealership where my hood scoop fix took place. The manager showed me this really nice professional template that Rousch sent them to attach the guys new scoop to his hood (the car was in a front end collision). Then they showed me the template that was sent with my scoop, it was a hand cut out with pen pen marks. Real nice.

And I guess I might as well make note for you guys buying an 08 SGT, please look at your hood as well. On the new 08 at this dealership the scoop is perfect but when they (SAI) riveted it on the hood they pinched the decal so badly that it wrinkled in both corners at the front of the scoop.

These are some of the reasons I am questioning quality control. I just hope they can fix my car.

What Quaity Control...............thats an oximoron here ...................production would stop and re-design begin if they giv-a-(*^&^$&^%$

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Amy,

I had your SAI team replace my scoop on Monday in LV, and I have the same issue as sdear."

Looked at an 08 my dealer got in and it's the same way. They said the other two on the truck also had the crease.

OOPS :redcard:

:waiting:

What Quaity Control...............thats an oximoron here ...................production would stop and re-design begin if they giv-a-(*^&^$&^%$

Please, let's stick to the topic and not go down this road? Expression of frustration is fine but attacks are not.

Ok?

-Jeff

I went back to all of my printed messages from forum I bought my car Feb 07 and the problem as I said numerous times is still here recieved email from SAI telling me the usual call number get scoop and have repair done well the people having thier 08 fixed are having problem do they look at scoops before shipping my first scoop was so bad I told dealer to keep car Shelby autos called me and said would send new scoop which they did I paid for my brothers body shop to install looked perfect until first hot WI day warped and remains warped. It has been a year I suggest they make scoop out of different material or replace hood and stripes . What is the big deal some people on here SDEAR 4 scoops then rivet job the FIX and still bad warped hood? what gives these are new cars! Please fix or maybe give us paint stripe and ship[ new hood What do the rest of you Think!

I went back to all of my printed messages from forum I bought my car Feb 07 and the problem as I said numerous times is still here recieved email from SAI telling me the usual call number get scoop and have repair done well the people having thier 08 fixed are having problem do they look at scoops before shipping my first scoop was so bad I told dealer to keep car Shelby autos called me and said would send new scoop which they did I paid for my brothers body shop to install looked perfect until first hot WI day warped and remains warped. It has been a year I suggest they make scoop out of different material or replace hood and stripes . What is the big deal some people on here SDEAR 4 scoops then rivet job the FIX and still bad warped hood? what gives these are new cars! Please fix or maybe give us paint stripe and ship[ new hood What do the rest of you Think!

YES!!! +1000

I am soon to be on my 4th scoop.

guys, I have shown the scoop to the head of production, this is a new one for him, he will look into it, I will also give a 25% off anyone who wants to buy the cs6 hood who has an existing issue, PM me I will set it up

Amy

guys, I have shown the scoop to the head of production, this is a new one for him, he will look into it, I will also give a 25% off anyone who wants to buy the cs6 hood who has an existing issue, PM me I will set it up

Amy

I assume that is 25% off of an unfinished hood, which I then have to have painted and then striped and then installed. Is that correct? That would be costly to the customer, both in time and money. I will continue to wait for the proper and finalized hood scoop fix.

Amy

wow! 25% for the hood, sounds pretty good, better then replacing the the scoop 3 times. I have wanted that hood for a while now,the only thing that threw me was 250.00 for shipping. If I have ford order it for me, can I get it shipped any cheaper?

Now. If it was 25% of the price of the hood and ford would take care of painting striping and installing the same way the would a new scoop. I would be in, no questions. If i have to pay to paint strip install and re do the hood pins, that would put it well over 1200.00 just as a solution to my bent hood scoop. That would not be worth it.

Let us know please .

Amy

Amy,

Would that 25% discount apply towards having the mod shop replace my hood with a painted and striped hood? I believe that the price of the hood painted and striped is $1599. So, the cost to me would be $1200?

I had my brother look at scoop again today he said with contour of hood the scoop they have will never work, what about replacing at Shelby cost hood off of GTH with stripes supplied shipped to my brothers body shop or come up with new scoop not made out of material they are using what does Rousch use they look good maybe have shelby buy one from them apint and ship I would be happy to pay with install as my Ford dealer has no clue what to do, they wereonly interested in sale.

Amy

Amy,

Although my scoop acceptable at this point, i am betting it is going to develop the same problem at some point. Acceptable doesn't mean i think it's necessarily a well thought out quality product however.

I pointed out months ago in a scoop thread, if the scoop does not have the same contour as the hood it's never going to work properly. This has been reiterated a couple of times by a couple of others since.

Since then i have talked to the owner of a body shop in my area that does a lot high quality custom hot rod work and he agreed. You don't want to know what he thought about the quality of the scoop on my car, and mine looks good compared to others.

Anyone who purchases a brand new car with a warranty should not have to put a penny out of their pocket to get a problem resolved. That is the responsibility of the manufacturer and should be done in a timely manner.

It's not always the problems that arise that upset people, but how they are handled.

my .02

Thanks Noel

Amy

While I appreciate the offer, I will wait for the scoop issue to be resolved. I personally do not care for the CS6 hood, and prefer the scoop. Please keep us informed of what the head of production thinks about the issue.

Thanks,

Sue

I like the other hood ok, but not at 25% discount. that doesnt sound like a deal, especially since i assume the risk of the paint job, stripes and installation. if the hood was considered an upgrade, I would pay 25% and SAI or Ford assumes the risks and warranty after the repair. that would be more acceptable. (not to mention the possibility that collectability is affected)

my .02

I like the other hood ok, but not at 25% discount. that doesnt sound like a deal, especially since i assume the risk of the paint job, stipes and installation. if the hood was considered an upgrade, I would pay 25% and SAI or Ford assumes the risks and warranty after the repair. that would be more acceptable. (not to mention the possibility that collectability is affected)

my .02

It is an upgrade. Hood is a 1500.00 upgrade, painted and striped. Personally, we weren't fond of the scoop from the beginning. So we went with the hood upgrade. We still have the original. We are very happy with the CS6 hood. But in the end you're the one who has to look at it. I think it is a damn fair offer. As far as collect ability, it's an option installed by SAI and documented.

Good luck

I see people keep responding that they will wait for the hood scoop problem to be resolved with a permanent fix....so does that mean there is a team of engineers in a back room somewhere working this issue or are we being optimistic in hopes that will happen?

I believe the 08 car hood scoop was the permanent fix, but it has it's own set of problems.

It is an upgrade. Hood is a 1500.00 upgrade, painted and striped. Personally, we weren't fond of the scoop from the beginning. So we went with the hood upgrade. We still have the original. We are very happy with the CS6 hood. But in the end you're the one who has to look at it. I think it is a damn fair offer. As far as collect ability, it's an option installed by SAI and documented.

Good luck

+1

Amy is offering a possible solution that she can authorize on her own TODAY. I was considering this hood but couldn't afford it and had to cancel. Meanwhile I have grown fond of the scoop so I am hoping mine holds out. For those that were on the fence and have been considering this as an upgrade this is a good deal. If you were not then the idea of spending $1000+ for trim/finish and paint etc., probably is not something you're going to jump on and this option isn't for you.

Now, having said that, anyone know if the Super Snake hood fits our cars? I like that one and it's $1100 fully trimmed and prepped! At 25% off that's the same price as an untrimmed CS6/8 hood. That would tempt me! B)

+1

Amy is offering a possible solution that she can authorize on her own TODAY. I was considering this hood but couldn't afford it and had to cancel. Meanwhile I have grown fond of the scoop so I am hoping mine holds out. For those that were on the fence and have been considering this as an upgrade this is a good deal. If you were not then the idea of spending $1000+ for trim/finish and paint etc., probably is not something you're going to jump on and this option isn't for you.

Now, having said that, anyone know if the Super Snake hood fits our cars? I like that one and it's $1100 fully trimmed and prepped! At 25% off that's the same price as an untrimmed CS6/8 hood. That would tempt me! B)

Jeff, you might want to read the post concerning swapping to this hood from someone that has already done it, it was just posted. Also, when someone like me just spent a bunch of money buying a brand new 07, I have no interest in spending another big wad of $ on a replacement hood. The one that came on my car should be a quality piece to start with. No disrespect meant to you, just how I feel after my car being in the bodyshop for the last 4 days and still not correct. And note this offer was only made to folks with problem scoops which I take as the easy way out to get around fixing them.

Jeff, you might want to read the post concerning swapping to this hood from someone that has already done it, it was just posted. Also, when someone like me just spent a bunch of money buying a brand new 07, I have no interest in spending another big wad of $ on a replacement hood. The one that came on my car should be a quality piece to start with. No disrespect meant to you, just how I feel after my car being in the bodyshop for the last 4 days and still not correct. And note this offer was only made to folks with problem scoops which I take as the easy way out to get around fixing them.

Couldn't agree more. :yup:

It's cool, I TOTALLY understand (I'm on scoop #3) and please don't misunderstand me. I was trying to say that I can see someone with a problem scoop that always wanted the CS 6/8 anyway being happy to trade up. But I agree that for the rest of us we would rather have what we bought look good. No worries, I don't think Amy meant the offer as anything more than that and something she could authorize as an option on the spot.

We'll just wait on what she finds out on her end and go from there.

-jeff

It's cool, I TOTALLY understand (I'm on scoop #3) and please don't misunderstand me. I was trying to say that I can see someone with a problem scoop that always wanted the CS 6/8 anyway being happy to trade up. But I agree that for the rest of us we would rather have what we bought look good. No worries, I don't think Amy meant the offer as anything more than that and something she could authorize as an option on the spot.

We'll just wait on what she finds out on her end and go from there.

-jeff

Jeff how does yours look compared to the pics i posted of mine, and how long has it been on?

Good luck

Dave Hey its the guy from W.Seattle here, do you get rain build up in the hood, or is there a drain hole or something. I for one was never a fan of the scoop, I have come to like it. I just never liked the fact that it was a "fake scoop". Mine has big gaps as well.

I drive my car in the rain so I would be into a diferent hood if it worked. I am with Ilmore I am waiting to see what shakes out...

was hoping to get an s/c and a hood fix at SAI in the future.

maybe just an s/c now and a cs6 hood?

How about a GT500 hood? It has vents right?

After sleeping on it, I just have to wait to see if something can be done, somewhere, somehow. The scoop is one of the things that captured the essence of the car for me. I grew up watchin Cobra's and Gt350's in the early 60's (Yeah Im old) and i don't think i could do away with the scoop. Granted it's not right, but for me, it would be losing some of the appeal that made me fall in love with the car when i first saw it. Yes, its a 40K car and it should be right, agreed, I fully agree with everyone on everything they are saying. But, I got to have the scoop.....

Jeff how does yours look compared to the pics i posted of mine, and how long has it been on?

Mine went on a little over three weeks ago. It's currently sitting in the garage, unheated (-10 outside), and I drove it when the weather was 60+ for a few days to give you an idea of the temp ranges though I'm not too sure what temp has to do with anything other than what others have posted. With all this talk I looked at mine and while there is no "crease" there is subtle dip in the front. Not as bad as the dip that was there in the old design but if you look the right way or run your hand over it I can see/feel it. If that's all it does I'd be happy! Guess time will tell!

-Jeff

Dave Hey its the guy from W.Seattle here, do you get rain build up in the hood, or is there a drain hole or something. I for one was never a fan of the scoop, I have come to like it. I just never liked the fact that it was a "fake scoop". Mine has big gaps as well.

I drive my car in the rain so I would be into a diferent hood if it worked. I am with Ilmore I am waiting to see what shakes out...

There are no drain holes on the CS 6/8 hood. When you are driving, if it's raining, the water is pushed backwards and off just like any other hood. When parked in the rain water does collect.

LOL Rain, Seattle???? :hysterical2: Just as Jeff said, it does not drain. Our GT/SC is nothing more than a toy. It doesn't come out and play in the rain. It stays under it's blanky :hysterical: . If you want to remove rain from hood, depress pedal on right. LOL No hood is perfect, the GT500 hood will not fit an SGT. Nor will the SS. The GT500 hood allows some water into the engine compartment through the heat extraction vents. If you guys are set on keeping the hood scoop, be patient SAI is obviously aware that there are still issues. At least they are attempting to rectify the problem.

Interesting! I like the right pedal alot haha. :hysterical2:

So what is different on the GT500/SS hoods that it does not fit?

I am patient for a good fix, I just want to make sure it works before I commit.

I have had my SGT since May O7 , I love tinkering and modifing this car , alu Drive Shaft, smooth air duct (don't know why they left the stock one ? the Steeda Duct didn't cost that much) , MSD coils, Brenspeed Tune , and Steeda Billet Lower Control Arms, Shelby Baer 14" brakes with 20" Gray Razors..............Great car but BUUUUUUUUT the hood is weak any way, it makes me nervous at speed , I actually CA Glued my scoop along time ago , and it has stayed put , but this car is CRYING for a real scoop!!!

It deserves a real ram air system , and if some one made the mod it would sell.................This does take testing , flow dynamics for engine performance (no more then 20hrs testing and data collection , 60 data eval) , and Aero stuctural effects at speed About the same man hours. .............But there are more Mustangs out there than Shelby has made , and when guys see something like this installed on a SHELBY .............well I think it has merit.......................ZDS

Interesting! I like the right pedal alot haha. :hysterical2:

So what is different on the GT500/SS hoods that it does not fit?

I am patient for a good fix, I just want to make sure it works before I commit.

The whole front fascia needs to swapped out. Not positive, but I think the GT500 grill is inset more than the Shelby GT. I've seen quite a few GT's with GT500 fascias. So I would say, yes you could put the Gt500 hood on if you throw enough money at it. :spend:

After sleeping on it, I just have to wait to see if something can be done, somewhere, somehow. The scoop is one of the things that captured the essence of the car for me. I grew up watchin Cobra's and Gt350's in the early 60's (Yeah Im old) and i don't think i could do away with the scoop. Granted it's not right, but for me, it would be losing some of the appeal that made me fall in love with the car when i first saw it. Yes, its a 40K car and it should be right, agreed, I fully agree with everyone on everything they are saying. But, I got to have the scoop.....

I feel the same way. The cobra scoop is an key ingredient of the overall Shelby GT style. It has to remain.

Archived