TEAM SHELBY FORUM

heater question

Hopefully I am just an idiot and someone can correct me, but I have to ask this question.

On the climate control, there is the setting that shows a silhouette of the driver in a seated position, with an arrow pointing at his feet. In my experience, this has always meant that the car would blow air (heated to the level requested by the driver) into the footwell. Right?

On my SGT, using this setting results in around 1/3 of the air blowing into the footwell, and the rest blowing out of the vent where you normally only get air when the defroster is engaged. I fiddled with the various settings, and none of them would get more an a 1/3 of the air blowing into the footwell.

The result of this is that on cold days, I get hot air blown into my face for 25 miles, and my feet stay cold.

So tell me, did Ford suddenly change how its climate control systems work, or do I have a defect? If the latter, is the dealer going to have to tear apart my dash to fix it . . . creating premature squeaks and rattles?

Does your system work as expected with the other settings?

The heater/defroster combo setting is off too, since it puts even more air to the defroster and practically none into the footwell. The rest of the settings seem to work correctly.

Well, there's your answer, eh? Something's up with the blend door.

Big red book says that when you set the controls for distribution to the floor, the defroster dash vents should be closed off. If this isn't happening, you have a stuck blend door. May be broke, or, something may be blocking it from fully closing.

Keep us posted?

It is funny you should mention this because I have a similar problem. It is more of a minor inconvenience so I have not pursued it but sounds like I am not the only one.

You are right that is a minor inconvenience in the scheme of things, but it is the type of issue that gets under my skin and eventually makes me crazy. If I do not get it fixed, I will obsess on it and it will eventually make me hate the car. I'm kind of wacky that way.

You are right that is a minor inconvenience in the scheme of things, but it is the type of issue that gets under my skin and eventually makes me crazy. If I do not get it fixed, I will obsess on it and it will eventually make me hate the car. I'm kind of wacky that way.

No you are a car guy, most people would not even notice. Now could you drive an old beater with many problems until you "get" to them, but overlook the issues beacause its a 40 year old BB 4sp? And its a "survivor"? If you can then you are a serious car guy! :hysterical:

I'm not so sure there is a fixable problem here. I think it may be poor design. My wife's '05 has this going on and she has had it to the dealer for a fix. The dealer (who is usually really good about finding little things like this) told her it was working normally. She has some way she sets the control that improves the situation, but doesn't completely solve the problem.

also, you may want to turn off your outside air circulation button and just have it recirculate the cabin air...it might help. for me it seams to help. and have the vent setting at just the feet and nowhere else.

i always start off with only the defrost on because the car is always fogged up from the ever consistant Arkansas damp winter air. :banghead:

Just a little more 411 on blend doors.

They are vacuum operated just like the old days, 'cept that today, the vacuum doesn't operate the door directly, rather it triggers an electric solenoid that physically moves the door. So, you may have a pinched vacuum line somewhere affecting the signal to the solenoid, and that could be somethig that rolled off the assembly line, affecting all those cars rolling off the line on a "Monday", with a vacuum line out of place, one after another.

Could be an easy fix, but if it's the blend door solenoid, that's major dash surgery.

F.Y.I...

This may be one to watch. I had to replace my heater box twice in my 98 Ranger due to the vacuum not being able to close the door and I still have this problem. Listen carefully when you switch the controls. It might start ticking.

This is not a fun task taking apart the whole dash. What a nightmare that is! :(

This may be one to watch. I had to replace my heater box twice in my 98 Ranger due to the vacuum not being able to close the door and I still have this problem. Listen carefully when you switch the controls. It might start ticking.

This is not a fun task taking apart the whole dash. What a nightmare that is! :(

Just another note on this. The heat blows all the time and I had to put 2 shut off valves on the 2 hoses right before they enter the firewall. Without this little rig job it will blow full force heat right through the defrost...no floor/vent at all.

my heater makes noise...sounds like the fan. it will do it for a while then quit then it will do it again. when it does this it happens on any fan speed setting. its like a cricket sound or somethin.

at first i thought it was my transmission because right when i shifted into 5th the noise started :blink: :ph34r:

I checked mine just now and it has air coming up thru the Defrost vents and hardly any on the floor.I checked because I drive mine daily and my feet were always cold in this car.Now I know why.Thanks for the post.Im calling my dealer to set up a app.

I checked mine just now and it has air coming up thru the Defrost vents and hardly any on the floor.I checked because I drive mine daily and my feet were always cold in this car.Now I know why.Thanks for the post.Im calling my dealer to set up a app.

I have the same problem on my 05 mustang, you can move the air control dial over to the left side(usually for cool air) and you get more heat on your feet. no more blasting out of the defrost into your face. Keep the vents on the dash almost closed. It's not THE solution but its better than the other way. I had it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong. MRSgofastguy

I just checked with the Dealer and even tested a couple of other mustangs and this is a normal operation.I wonder why FORD did this?

In 2007 The mustang had a heater control change.Any of you who tried to put aftermarket knobs on the heater switches found out the hard way(by breaking the switch off).I guess this is a quirk to live with.

I just checked with the Dealer and even tested a couple of other mustangs and this is a normal operation.I wonder why FORD did this?

In 2007 The mustang had a heater control change.Any of you who tried to put aftermarket knobs on the heater switches found out the hard way(by breaking the switch off).I guess this is a quirk to live with.

see my post from jan 20. most of the oems are doing this and also using partial forced recirculation regardless of the mode position. that is why the system sounds weird even when not on recirc. i checked a couple of mustangs when i test drove them in april 2007, they were all like this.

Archived