TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby in the Snow!

Howdy, all...I realize this might be blasphemy to some on here, but...

My Shelby's my daily driver, so that means rain or shine...or snow! I swapped out the OEM tires for Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S (255/45ZR18 front, 275/40ZR18 rear) after the first cold day with the summer tires - they're like stone below 40 deg F!

Today was the first real nasty weather the DC area got - sleet, freezing rain, turned the roads into a slushy, slippery mess. And with the exception of one start out of a light (rear end kicked out a bit) and the struggle up my driveway (thank God for traction control!), the car performed like a champ! The secret really is to just take it easy - I didn't do more than 45 the whole way home.

Of course, down here their solution for snow/ice is metric tons of salt, so it's time to join the Clean Butt club and paint my axle/pumpkin! Anyone wanna help? I can provide home-cooked food and store-bought beer. :hysterical:

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. :banghead::cry:

When it's your only car, you have no choice. I had the option of either getting a winter beater or getting all-season tires. For the money, and the pure enjoyment, I'd rather drive my GT500 all year. It only snows once or twice in DC anyway, so why should I keep a crappy car the rest of the year?

I bought this car to DRIVE! :shift::yup:

When it's your only car, you have no choice. I had the option of either getting a winter beater or getting all-season tires. For the money, and the pure enjoyment, I'd rather drive my GT500 all year. It only snows once or twice in DC anyway, so why should I keep a crappy car the rest of the year?

I bought this car to DRIVE! :shift::yup:

Totally understand. I was just giving you a hard time. You have more than 10 posts, so you're fair game. :poke::hysterical:

Totally understand. I was just giving you a hard time. You have more than 10 posts, so you're fair game. :poke::hysterical:

I'm honored! Now how do I stop wheel hop, what should my first mod be, I want to discuss ADMs in depth, and let's dive into whether our GT500s are real Shelbys! :hysterical2:

One good :poke: deserves another! :headspin:

My Shelby's my daily driver, so that means rain or shine...or snow! I swapped out the OEM tires for Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S (255/45ZR18 front, 275/40ZR18 rear) after the first cold day with the summer tires - they're like stone below 40 deg F!

Today was the first real nasty weather the DC area got - sleet, freezing rain, turned the roads into a slushy, slippery mess. And with the exception of one start out of a light (rear end kicked out a bit) and the struggle up my driveway (thank God for traction control!), the car performed like a champ! The secret really is to just take it easy - I didn't do more than 45 the whole way home.

Of course, down here their solution for snow/ice is metric tons of salt, so it's time to join the Clean Butt club and paint my axle/pumpkin! Anyone wanna help? I can provide home-cooked food and store-bought beer. :hysterical:

Thanks for the post. I've been hoping that someone would take the first step and try these tires. I will have a set installed by next fall. There are lots of good days for me to drive if it were not so cold outside. Today we have sun and blue skies, dry streets but it is 25 degrees. With the all season tires I hope to do a lot more driving next year.

So your the one that caused this error by driving in the snow.

IPS Driver Error :hysterical:

MMM, I definitely admire your tenacity and enthusiasm. I just couldn't bring myself to doing it here in Columbus, Ohio. We get all kinds of crappy weather so I settle for driving my 2000 Honda CR-V during the bad weather months. It kills me to pass right by my GT500 every morning in the garage but I have still managed 10,000 miles since Sept 2006.

Anyway, if you don't mind me asking, what did the A/S F1's cost you for the set?

Anyway, if you don't mind me asking, what did the A/S F1's cost you for the set?

Got 'em at my local Ford dealer, believe it or not - they beat the local Mr. Tire and Goodyear store for price, and the tech did a great job of not scratching my wheels (though it took 2+ hours to get 'em on!). I spent just over $1,100 installed, and the tires ran about $260 each. Rears were more than the fronts...and the rears are 0.2" shorter than the fronts...didn't think it'd make a difference, but it's definitely noticeable (to me, anyway!). I'd suggest going with 255/45ZR18 all around.

MadManMoon -

Thanks for joining the club with me (think I was first in the snow & ice)... thought I was the only one who was ever gonna drive his Shelby in such conditions. Took my turn at it back in April 07 driving from AL to AZ. Freak spring snowstorm in West TX!

I did take it easy and tires handled fine. Standing water was a bigger threat actually, lots of hydroplaning with those big sets of rubber.

Keith

P4082704_1.jpg

P4082704_1.jpg

MadManMoon:

I think I passed you today on the I-495 Beltway! I was driving on the inner loop going north, and I saw a silver GT500 on the outer loop going south-bound around 1053 this morning (just north of the I-66 turn off). I have a 2008 in Vapor with black stripes. Glad to know that I'm not the only one enjoying his GT500 in ALL weather conditions! (although it did get a little dicey on Thursday with the stock tires...)

longebow

I had to drive in the ice and a light snow to the dealer the other day to get my Tranny and clutch replaced. No fun.

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts022.jpg

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts021.jpg

this must have killed you to do of all neat freaks :) How does it feel now compared to before surgery? My car is in the window fo needing thisbut I have no symptoms. Maybe I got luckyon the build and some one did something right....completely against my luck but maybe???

this must have killed you to do of all neat freaks :) How does it feel now compared to before surgery? My car is in the window fo needing thisbut I have no symptoms. Maybe I got luckyon the build and some one did something right....completely against my luck but maybe???

I would not of missed that appointment for nothing. Did you see the thread?

The results are in here:

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.p...c=14874&hl=

MadManMoon:

I think I passed you today on the I-495 Beltway! I was driving on the inner loop going north, and I saw a silver GT500 on the outer loop going south-bound around 1053 this morning (just north of the I-66 turn off). I have a 2008 in Vapor with black stripes. Glad to know that I'm not the only one enjoying his GT500 in ALL weather conditions! (although it did get a little dicey on Thursday with the stock tires...)

longebow

Nope, wasn't me! Didn't go on the Beltway at all yesterday. Guess there's at least 3 of us! So you drive it year-round -- daily driver or weekend fun car? We should go cruise the Beltway someday!

Got 'em at my local Ford dealer, believe it or not - they beat the local Mr. Tire and Goodyear store for price, and the tech did a great job of not scratching my wheels (though it took 2+ hours to get 'em on!). I spent just over $1,100 installed, and the tires ran about $260 each. Rears were more than the fronts...and the rears are 0.2" shorter than the fronts...didn't think it'd make a difference, but it's definitely noticeable (to me, anyway!). I'd suggest going with 255/45ZR18 all around.

$1,100, not bad. Definitely worth considering. Thanks!

MadManMoon -

Thanks for joining the club with me (think I was first in the snow & ice)... thought I was the only one who was ever gonna drive his Shelby in such conditions. Took my turn at it back in April 07 driving from AL to AZ. Freak spring snowstorm in West TX!

I did take it easy and tires handled fine. Standing water was a bigger threat actually, lots of hydroplaning with those big sets of rubber.

Keith

Keith, were you home on leave when you made this trip? I would have been very nervous driving my Shelby in those conditions and I hope I will never need too. I assume the person who is taking care of your GT500 is doing a good job? It looks like I might have to do the same as you and store it for a year or so. I might be heading off to Iraq at the end of this year. It seems that I have won a all expense paid trip to the U.S. Army's top vacation spot 0f 2007-2008. As an added bonus, I could be promoted to E-8 prior to shipping out. I will miss my car! Take care

Ken

Nope, wasn't me! Didn't go on the Beltway at all yesterday. Guess there's at least 3 of us! So you drive it year-round -- daily driver or weekend fun car? We should go cruise the Beltway someday!

MMM:

It's my daily driver (only car). I traded in my 2005 Mustang GT about 6 weeks ago (the perfect training vehicle for the Shelby, IMHO). Have about 3500 miles now. My work takes me all around the beltway--thus the miles. Needless to say, I'm always smiling--whether listening to the growl of 500 horses or the Sirius... ;) Happy to meet on the weekend when the fools are off the beltway.

longebow

MMM:

It's my daily driver (only car). I traded in my 2005 Mustang GT about 6 weeks ago (the perfect training vehicle for the Shelby, IMHO). Have about 3500 miles now. My work takes me all around the beltway--thus the miles. Needless to say, I'm always smiling--whether listening to the growl of 500 horses or the Sirius... ;) Happy to meet on the weekend when the fools are off the beltway.

longebow

If you guys decide to hook up some time for a get togehter, let me know - live in Bowie, right off US 50 - fully agree about the fools on the beltway, sure its my perception but it seems like the Shelby is a fool magnet every time I drive the beltway....

MadManMoon -

Keith

Keith,

I know exactly where that is, you were about 100 miles outside of sonora, tx talk about bfe- one of those places you could fall asleep for an hour and a half and not miss a single thing.

Did you happen to notice a big building like right in the middle of nowhere that was about 500 yards off the hwy, that said Keebler on it? I always wondered what a Keebler plant is doing in a place like that (hmmm area 52) :hysterical:

If you guys decide to hook up some time for a get togehter, let me know - live in Bowie, right off US 50 - fully agree about the fools on the beltway, sure its my perception but it seems like the Shelby is a fool magnet every time I drive the beltway....

You have good taste- Love the look of the lightbar too! I have no regrets putting one on mine!

Archived