TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Muffler Choices?

gabnmantha

Hi all,

Just got my 08 GT500. I love it! I don't want to do any mods that will hurt the car. I don't plan on running it at the track. However, I would like to hear some sweet muscle car exhaust. I don't want it too load but a nice rumble at idle would be great. The stock exhaust is just too quiet. Also, Which cold air intake should I install. Shelby, Rousch or K&N? I just want an easy install to do on my own. Those are the only mods I want to do.

Which mufflers & cold air intake do you think?

Thanks for your help!

Hi all,

Just got my 08 GT500. I love it! I don't want to do any mods that will hurt the car. I don't plan on running it at the track. However, I would like to hear some sweet muscle car exhaust. I don't want it too load but a nice rumble at idle would be great. The stock exhaust is just too quiet. Also, Which cold air intake should I install. Shelby, Rousch or K&N? I just want an easy install to do on my own. Those are the only mods I want to do.

Thanks for your help!

Hey there,

Well, I gotta plug the STILLEN stuff :) You can hear the exhaust at:

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=STIS...amp;model=GT500

As for the cold air - JLT of course :) And, you can buy this exhaust at JLT :)

Page

Hi all,

Thanks for your help!

Please just do a search.

There a dozens and dozens of threads on exhausts and just as many on the CAI/tunes (remember - DON'T add a CAI without also adding a tune!!!).

Look around and then come back and ask questions once you're up to speed. There's a ton of info here already for you to go through.

Please just do a search.

There a dozens and dozens of threads on exhausts and just as many on the CAI/tunes (remember - DON'T add a CAI without also adding a tune!!!).

Look around and then come back and ask questions once you're up to speed. There's a ton of info here already for you to go through.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 :hysterical:

Hi all,

Thanks for your help!

Hey gabnmantha i have pair of corsa muffs, they are great with the stock cats... I have a off road x-pipe now so am selling the corsa's. they cost 775.00 new but will sell for 400 they have 400 miles aprox on them.

Looking at the 2008 Ford Racing catalogue, is see the 2008 SVT Mustang muffler listed as "5230-SGT, i also see listed for 2005 - 2008 Mustang GT muffler listed as "5230-5GT" They both look the same too me, but the price difference is huge. What is the difference? Are they the same but charging more because its for an SVT?

SHEL8Y

I am new here also GT500. I have both a set of Ford Racing, and a set of Flow Masters. The flow masters are not as good looking, (the chrome tips are fine), But they sound low, throaty, and powerful. I like their sound. The Ford Racing set are a fine piece of equipment, but there sound is a higher pitch. I guess it would come down to flow.

So which of the two are the best over all. I have the Evo stage 2 kit on my black convert.

Looking at the 2008 Ford Racing catalogue, is see the 2008 SVT Mustang muffler listed as "5230-SGT, i also see listed for 2005 - 2008 Mustang GT muffler listed as "5230-5GT" They both look the same too me, but the price difference is huge. What is the difference? Are they the same but charging more because its for an SVT?

SHEL8Y

Search the forum, this has been asked and explained several time. They differ greatly. Different sound, looks, and price. Go to youtube as there are also a few vids!

I have done a search sometime ago. That is why I got the flowmasters. It seemed a lot of guys were running them. I already have both set. The flowmasters are on the car now. But it seems like I kind of came “down” a bit from the Ford Racing mufflers. So I was just ask what you all throught.

I have done a search sometime ago. That is why I got the flowmasters. It seemed a lot of guys were running them. I already have both set. The flowmasters are on the car now. But it seems like I kind of came “down” a bit from the Ford Racing mufflers. So I was just ask what you all throught.

My choice in mufflers was to NOT HAVE ANY :happy feet: :happy feet: :hysterical2::hysterical2:

The FRPP 5GT are perhaps the best sounding to me. BUT they drone when cruising and for that reason I will not have them. A drone free cruise is paramount to me. Others have switched from the 5GT to the SGT to reduce the drone. I have not heard anyone with the SVT's complain of droning. The SLP loudmouth also have a loud deep sound but no drone. YouTube has clips of them all

The FRPP 5GT are perhaps the best sounding to me. BUT they drone when cruising and for that reason I will not have them. A drone free cruise is paramount to me. Others have switched from the 5GT to the SGT to reduce the drone. I have not heard anyone with the SVT's complain of droning. The SLP loudmouth also have a loud deep sound but no drone. YouTube has clips of them all

If you are looking for a no drone muffler with an agressive tone - you MIGHT want to consider the Stillen mufflers. Stillen has been building exhaust systems for I believe over 15 years. The owner of the company (Steve Millen) approves every component we build for quality. If it does meet his standards it doesnt get build. Drone is one of the key this he wanted to avoid with the Stillen mufflers.

There is another post here from a GT500 owner that recently installed the Stillen exhaust. Might be worth a PM to him or a reply to his thread

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15201

Worth looking at for sure - http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=STIS...amp;model=GT500

Page

I have Magnaflow ovals, and they have no drone, but they are not very aggressive...about halfway between stock and many of the more aggressive "round" models.

Dave

I got mine from LMP performance for $340, free shipping.

Just installed mine in 3 hours. If it were a bit warmer, should take 2 hours or less.

Look great.

Thanks for the reply.

Took you 3 hours to install them? I removed both mufflers in less than 20 minutes and i was on my back (no lift or jack). I figure i'd have them installed in 30 minutes tops.

Thanks for the reply.

Took you 3 hours to install them? I removed both mufflers in less than 20 minutes and i was on my back (no lift or jack). I figure i'd have them installed in 30 minutes tops.

I guess you may be younger than I am, and maybe in a warmer garage. It took me the most time getting the old ones off. Maybe you have better tools.

I guess you may be younger than I am, and maybe in a warmer garage. It took me the most time getting the old ones off. Maybe you have better tools.

You're funny. No, perhaps you had a warmer garage, music playing, a glass of wine, snap on tools, and a nice cigar so you just took your time.

When they come in, i may just take it to my buddy's place so i can get it on a lift and paint the rear end housing, change the oil, and install the pips. Hey, i'll make a day out of it.

So ffr1229, how do you like the sound with the pipes installed?

You're funny. No, perhaps you had a warmer garage, music playing, a glass of wine, snap on tools, and a nice cigar so you just took your time.

When they come in, i may just take it to my buddy's place so i can get it on a lift and paint the rear end housing, change the oil, and install the pips. Hey, i'll make a day out of it.

So ffr1229, how do you like the sound with the pipes installed?

The sound is great!!!!! Just like a 540hp Mustang should sound. I can't figure why anybody would go with anything else.

Putting them on is a snap. If you could get the originals off in 20 min, installing the loudmouths should take minus time.

Maybe I did have a beer after taking off the left side. Why rush???? I'm retired, much more time than brains.

The sound is great!!!!! Just like a 540hp Mustang should sound. I can't figure why anybody would go with anything else.

Putting them on is a snap. If you could get the originals off in 20 min, installing the loudmouths should take minus time.

Maybe I did have a beer after taking off the left side. Why rush???? I'm retired, much more time than brains.

I installed the SLP loundmouths on my GT500 as well. Love the sound and can't beat the price

I installed the SLP loundmouths on my GT500 as well. Love the sound and can't beat the price

Can you get away with running an Offroad X with SLPs if you're looking for a little bit more bite or is that over the edge?

Archived