TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spare tire????

greensalesco

What happens when you get a flat? Did I read it correctly that there is no spare?

Bruce

You have an air pump and a can of flat fix. Since the front and back are different wheels I guess you can't get 1 wheel to fit both, at least thats what I'm assuming anyway. If anyone knows of a wheel that will fit both I would like to know.

Ron

You have an air pump and a can of flat fix. Since the front and back are different wheels I guess you can't get 1 wheel to fit both, at least thats what I'm assuming anyway. If anyone knows of a wheel that will fit both I would like to know.

Ron

So I oughta get AAA? I too would like to know. But them you get to cart around the jack, wrench and a tire in the trunk.

Bruce

So I oughta get AAA? I too would like to know. But them you get to cart around the jack, wrench and a tire in the trunk.

Bruce

No jack, no wrench, no tire in the trunk......just the compressor with the fix a flat can.

No jack, no wrench, no tire in the trunk......just the compressor with the fix a flat can.

Get a good tire plug kit for 2 to 5 bucks. Don't use that tire goo hole sealer stuff. It makes a hugh mess inside tire and is hard to clean off the wheel. some tire places charge extra to clean it and other won't even touch your tire if you used it.

your dealer can get you a jack, go to the hardware store buy a long screw, you may need to re-thread it to fit the old ball size, place the jack under the carpet use the screw to hold it in place. If you work it right and have a good dealer the jack is free and the screw cost 30cents.

a tire kit and good a/pump pricless.

With the tire plug kit and a good portible air compressor that reaches from the battery to both rear tires and you can fix any flat in under ten minutes. If your in a hurry, other wise relax kick back and go with it, its all part of the experiance.

When I lived on my Harley, getting to were we were going wasn't all the fun, lots of time there was plenty of excitment, pleasure and fun in just getting there... flat tires included, they can lead to all kinds of fun - or not, don't sweat the small stuff just be prepaired.

The Road side assistance plan is included for I believe 5 years, so what do you need a spare for when you can have someone fix it for you for free(so as long as you have a cell phone and the plan hasnt expired)??

Because it may take them 2 hours to get to you. Been there, done that...have the red mark on my nuts for being late to something important. :banghead:

Get a good tire plug kit for 2 to 5 bucks. Don't use that tire goo hole sealer stuff. It makes a hugh mess inside tire and is hard to clean off the wheel. some tire places charge extra to clean it and other won't even touch your tire if you used it.

your dealer can get you a jack, go to the hardware store buy a long screw, you may need to re-thread it to fit the old ball size, place the jack under the carpet use the screw to hold it in place. If you work it right and have a good dealer the jack is free and the screw cost 30cents.

a tire kit and good a/pump pricless.

With the tire plug kit and a good portible air compressor that reaches from the battery to both rear tires and you can fix any flat in under ten minutes. If your in a hurry, other wise relax kick back and go with it, its all part of the experiance.

When I lived on my Harley, getting to were we were going wasn't all the fun, lots of time there was plenty of excitment, pleasure and fun in just getting there... flat tires included, they can lead to all kinds of fun - or not, don't sweat the small stuff just be prepaired.

I wouldnever use a plug on a tire, much less on thes tires.

For $133.00 I bought the jack, wrench and all the mounting hardware. It is now inside the car in a bag.......just in case I will need to remove a tire again!....first time I had to use the jack from my company vehicle.

I'm pretty sure once you use Fix a Flat isn't the tire no longer good after a period of time? I'd go for a patch or a plug for the time being.

The fix-a-flat isn't a permanent repair; it's just to get you to somewhere to get the tire fixed. It also will ruin your air pressure monitor. I'd plug it or call the emergency roadside repair. Only if there is no other option would I use the sealing compound in the trunk.

Ron

What happens when you get a flat? Did I read it correctly that there is no spare?

Bruce

The front and rear wheels are the same only the tire size is different. Buy a spare wheel from one of the companies that advertise in the Mustang magazines. One company is Late Model Restoration Supply. Ask for the OEM wheel not the chrome replica. Don't buy from Ford it's more expensive. Order a new front tire from Discount Tire or The Tire Rack, go to A Ford dealer buy the retaining strap and pressure monitor and have the tire mounted. While at Ford and buy a jack for a 07 Mustang, $35.00. Go to Sears and buy a breaker bar and a deep well socket to use as a lug wrench. Throw the tire in the trunk for long trips. Now the front tire is slightly different in diameter so if you use it on the rear just use it for a short period of time to get you to a repair place and have the flat tire repaired. If you use the spare tire on the front and and intend to leave it there stop by a Ford dealer and have the tire pressure monitor activated to get rid of tire warning message on the dash. I know the spare tire will take up most of the trunk space and there won't be any place to put luggage but that's why the rear seats fold down.

The front and rear wheels are the same only the tire size is different. Buy a spare wheel from one of the companies that advertise in the Mustang magazines. One company is Late Model Restoration Supply. Ask for the OEM wheel not the chrome replica. Don't buy from Ford it's more expensive. Order a new front tire from Discount Tire or The Tire Rack, go to A Ford dealer buy the retaining strap and pressure monitor and have the tire mounted. While at Ford and buy a jack for a 07 Mustang, $35.00. Go to Sears and buy a breaker bar and a deep well socket to use as a lug wrench. Throw the tire in the trunk for long trips. Now the front tire is slightly different in diameter so if you use it on the rear just use it for a short period of time to get you to a repair place and have the flat tire repaired. If you use the spare tire on the front and and intend to leave it there stop by a Ford dealer and have the tire pressure monitor activated to get rid of tire warning message on the dash. I know the spare tire will take up most of the trunk space and there won't be any place to put luggage but that's why the rear seats fold down.

According to one of our members, the tire/wheel won't fit in the wheel well...it will stand "proud" of the opening such that the cardboard cover is elevated...the hole for the spare is not deep enough. You could still do it, but it's not optimal. I've yet to see a really good solution to the issue.

According to one of our members, the tire/wheel won't fit in the wheel well...it will stand "proud" of the opening such that the cardboard cover is elevated...the hole for the spare is not deep enough. You could still do it, but it's not optimal. I've yet to see a really good solution to the issue.

What about one of those cheap "donut spares" that most cars come with now. Would that fit in a pinch?

a donut more than likely won't fit the front.

And I don't think you'll get a full tire and wheel in a vert's trunk.

A good reason to keep your TPMS sensors in working order. :hysterical2:

On a good note...other than the wonderful weather, not having to "put the vert to bed" all winter, living in Texas has another great reason to live here...

Look on the back of your drivers license guys and gals....

TEXAS ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE 1-800-525-5555

Out of staters might take a look on the back of their DLs to see if their state has something simular.

The fix-a-flat isn't a permanent repair; it's just to get you to somewhere to get the tire fixed. It also will ruin your air pressure monitor. I'd plug it or call the emergency roadside repair. Only if there is no other option would I use the sealing compound in the trunk.

Ron

You are right the fix-a-flat will not last.

Even if you use a tire plug. I recommend you take it to have your tire patched correctly soon as time permited.

Even tire pugs have been known to develop slow leaks under certian conditions.

Getting your tire patched correctly is just smart.

It's easyer and faster and cleaner to plug a tire then to change it out.

Id say the only way carring a spare in our cars would pay off is if you had a blow out, and if you did I have to ask why you were driving on such bad tires.

Other wise I vote for using a Plug..........

The temp spares will not fit the on the front. The front brake calipers are to large. Go to your dealer or a local tire store and have them remove one of your front tires and see if it will fit in the trunk, you can see how far down in the spare tire well it goes or just see if will fit in the vert trunk on top of the fiber board.

I am going to try the donut spare for the Dodge Viper.. it covers the front caliper on the Viper that is the exact same Brembo caliper.... and it fits to replace a 13 inch wide rear wheel..... I'll check it this weekend and report back.

I'd feel a lot better with a spare tire even with the weight.

The rear seats fold down? :hysterical2:

I should really take my owners manual out of the plastic!!!

LOL-

Hey, didnt yall get a Ford Roadside assistance card with your manuals? I dont know what you do after 5 years, but it will work for now.

The rear seats fold down? :hysterical2:

I should really take my owners manual out of the plastic!!!

LOL-

Hey, didnt yall get a Ford Roadside assistance card with your manuals? I dont know what you do after 5 years, but it will work for now.

Sometimes I just can't wait 2 hours for a tow truck. :redcard: Don't know for sure it would take that long, but I've had it happen before.

Archived