TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shaker 500 Door Speakers

Look at the JL Audio stuff, you may not want a trunk sub after all.

A trunk mounted sub will sound great if you open up the car with a rear seat delete kit. But, if you don't want to do that, the only folks who will really "appreciate" your investment, are those standing on the sidelines.

Look at the JL Audio stuff, you may not want a trunk sub after all.

A trunk mounted sub will sound great if you open up the car with a rear seat delete kit. But, if you don't want to do that, the only folks who will really "appreciate" your investment, are those standing on the sidelines.

I agree for my car I am looking to upgrade the front door subs, has anyone gone down this road?

I am going down the same path. I am currently looking at three different 3-way component systems. I am leaning closer to the Morel Elate 9 series. I am also considering the Dynaudio System 362 and the Legatia L841-3 from Hybrid Audio Technologies. All feature a large 8" midbass/bass driver. Although this will require modifications to the door panels in some way or another, my ultimate plan is to have a simple system that only includes a 3 way component system, with a balanced front stage with excellent midbass/bass. I have heard great reviews on all three, but it looks as if I will have to go for a few road trips to actually listen to a couple of the sets as there aren't any Morel or Hybrid dealers near me. To power this component system I am looking at a few manufactures that are making small footprint digitally controlled output amplifiers. One at the top of the list are the PDX amplifiers from Alpine. The reason for this is to keep signal wire distance short first of all, and secondly to keep the system under wraps/or stealth looking by mounting the small footprint amp underneath one or the other front seats.

I have completely taken the door panels off my car to do initial measurements and took alot of photos if anyone is interested.

You must set a few guidelines on how you want to pick your speakers. I didn't quote who said it, but "speakers that will fit"? You should determine what you want out of the system first. Also in some cases you may need/want to stay within a price range. As with anything, test out some brands at your local stereo shop to hear what you like. Did you take a test drive of your car before you bought it? Did you do any research on the car? Assuming the answer is yes, do the same for the speakers-and don't just buy them on the spot until you have met the guidelines you set out for. To my knowledge, I haven't found a manufacture that makes a simple "drop in" solution for the 8" speakers for the Shaker 500/1000 systems, and I have been looking for over 3 months for a solution. I don't know that I would personally do that anyway, although it would be nice for those who would enjoy simple drop and plug in type of system. There are countless 2-way component systems out there that the midbass/midrange speaker (6" inch preferably) could be used to fill the larger than normal location of this speaker. Another possible solution could be trying one of the few slimline sub woofers that are on the market, like JL audio or I believe Pioneer has a version of this also. Remember on this though you may be sacrificing sound quality for the convenience of the extreme shallow depth of these speakers.

Bottom line is set some guidelines, then research, research, research. I have spent countless hours over at diymobileaudio.com and have learned a tremendous amount there on top of 14 years of magazine subscriptions and over 10 years of attending (NOT competing) local/regional USACi sound-offs. Like I said I am an audio nut, so this may not be such a hot item to some. I just need to donate a kidney or leg to be able to afford what my eyes and ears want!! Good luck all.

Here are links to what I described above:

Morel:

http://www.morelhifi.com/products/mob_3way_elate.html

Dynaudio:

http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/auto/esotec/362.php

Hybrid Audio Technologies:

http://hybrid-audio.com/legatia_three_way.htm

Hope this helps. Have fun!!

I have to disagree on the trunk sub not kicking. Any sub is not directional needing to aim a certain direction to hear / feel the bass. Will it be deeper / louder with the seat out? Yes but not necessary to get that thump unless you want to blow the mirror off the windshield. I have a sub in a Vette, RSX, Honda SI and they all kick nice. I'm adding a 12" MTX to the Shelby next month and after testing with my JL I borrowed from my Vette it will do just fine. I would not go smaller than a 12" though or it won't thump enough. Anyway that's my 2c and experience on subs. I went with the MTX from research and am not paying $900 for JL for a Shelby when I got a JL for my Vette that was only $550. I would have thought the prices would be reversed because everything you buy on a Vette cost way more than a Mustang. :dreamy:

I have to disagree on the trunk sub not kicking. Any sub is not directional needing to aim a certain direction to hear / feel the bass. Will it be deeper / louder with the seat out? Yes but not necessary to get that thump unless you want to blow the mirror off the windshield. I have a sub in a Vette, RSX, Honda SI and they all kick nice. I'm adding a 12" MTX to the Shelby next month and after testing with my JL I borrowed from my Vette it will do just fine. I would not go smaller than a 12" though or it won't thump enough. Anyway that's my 2c and experience on subs. I went with the MTX from research and am not paying $900 for JL for a Shelby when I got a JL for my Vette that was only $550. I would have thought the prices would be reversed because everything you buy on a Vette cost way more than a Mustang. :dreamy:

I agree 99% with your first statement about the seat being up or down. Putting part of the seat down MAY help with the loudness or actual volume of the speaker. Kind of like what a ported enclosure would do. But not going smaller than a 12"? I highly disagree. 2 8" subs can sound just as loud with the proper setup. Just my $.02

I installed a Scosce 12" enclosure to my Shaker 500 and changed the front and rears to aftermarket 5x7's. Only amped the sub and it thumps more than I need. I did not amp the doors or deck as the Memphis 3-ways I used are overly bright anyway. Plenty loud with great bottom that makes me think I need to lock-tight all the interior screws! I left the door mid-subs alone as they will require custom fiberglassing the existing enclosures to work properly. This is my experience.

I'm investigating the same issue. Believe it or not, Crutchfield has good info. on these door subs if you call them. The biggest limiting factor is the width allowed for the magnet; the depth, I believe, will allow the Polk/MOMO subs (or was it the MTX 4500s...I forget, and the info. is back at my office). What I'm not sure about is whether or not taking the rubber "boot" off of the Polk subs would narrow it down enough to drop in.

They did mention that the paper 8" subs are about 1.4 ohm, so 4 ohm subs would need a bunch more power than the factory system was providing, and even a set of 2 ohm subs, if you could find ones to fit, would be problematic.

I wish that I had ordered #4990 as a Premium and added leather seats so as to have not gotten the Shaker 500. It would have been much easier to pull out and improve, plus I would have saved a few $$$. Oh well...

Archived