TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Corvette ZR1

Shelbyleader

I just read an editorial in this month's Road & Track where Carroll Shelby states" The Corvette is the best value for the Money" and is one of the best performance cars ever. He wished they built the car 30 years ago...he's either lost it or he bends with the wind or someone please tell me what this means??? Oh and he states that"the guys over at GM really know what they're doing". I wonder how much he got paid?

He's right, it is a great car. I know people who have them and I always tell them I'll race in Z06 they have. The first one across the finish line with his 3 best friends in the car with him wins. :hysterical2:

I just read an editorial in this month's Road & Track where Carroll Shelby states" The Corvette is the best value for the Money" and is one of the best performance cars ever. He wished they built the car 30 years ago...he's either lost it or he bends with the wind or someone please tell me what this means??? Oh and he states that"the guys over at GM really know what they're doing". I wonder how much he got paid?

Never take it personal, it is only buisness. Plus Mr. Shelby never said that he is brand loyal to just one, there are Dodge Shelby vehicle also you know. Besides you have to give cerdit were it is due, the Corvette's are nice cars. The Corvette was 2nd choices to more than 50% of Shelby GT500 buyers that dealt with the HIGH adm's.

This tells me that Shelby is an honest man, not one that lost his mind. Let's face it, no way the Mustang comes close to a ZR1 with respect to engineering and design.

LOL Yeah, they do say that every chance they get.

Apples to apples.

I'll race anyone with a 2007 Camero, that's what Chevy brought out after Mustang was well on the seen.... :banghead:

Oh, and I love the Z06, but I'd love to have a GT500 and a SGT for the same price. :happy feet:

And if someone with a Vette want's to race, I've got a buddy that has a GT. :hysterical2:

Guys, be real. The Vette is a great value, for what you get. It is a 2 seat sports car for 50K that will go toe to toe with the European supercars that cost at least twice as much. As for the Chevy guys knowing what they are doing, I would say Mr. Shelby is correct. GM has come out of their doldrums and are making good products now. The new Caddys are awesome, Pontiac is finally getting their act together, Buick has done a major turn around, and Chevy is really turning up the heat.

I am a Ford fan first and foremost but I have owned GM products and I have to give the devil his due. Their products are light years ahead of where they were just a few years ago.

i hate to say this guys but i own a vette as well in my stable and it was the one car i drove the most last summer. i used to be like all the others and say "oh brother another corvette" but once an owner you will realize that they are great cars to drive and fun to cruise in. :happy feet:

my freind bought a 2006 Z06 and i took it for a spin."kick ass" power.i was thrilled on how it drives and performs.

also for what it compares to for all the other sports cars,it is a far better bang for the buck!

bottom line is-if any car has power you have to respect all the other makes for what they are.personally i like them all as i am a mixed breed.

P.S.--- i really love my gt500 though!!! :hysterical2:

I can't compare the ZR1 to a GT500, the ZR1 is a $100,000 + car. A better comparison would be the new 600 HP Viper vs. ZR1.

I'm with you but I like that my car is lumped in there with this level of car :)

That being said i think CS was probably speaking of the base level regarding the the value and i still don't know that I agree. I think the mustang GT is hard to beat for the money....the GTO was UGLY but for the $ not a bad little car either....I just hate what they did to it from a looks standpoint. I can't help it though I still like my car. I can run low 11's and high 10's at the track then swap tires and put the top down to cruise home while listening to CD'd or my Ipod. Pretty soon it will be consistent 10's at the track and the same drive home. The car looks great. i get a lot of attention in it. I can take my dog and my kid in it (or my wife and 2 kids) and i have a good group of friends through this site with the same interest in the car.

If my car is mentioned with the upscale viper's, vette's, porsches, etc then that's great....I may even win a few of those challenges in my simple little mustang ;)

In itself, Carrol's comment is right. He doesn't say he figured in other factors such as appeal, practicality, utility etc. Everyone would own a vette if this was their only idea of a great car, or even a great performance car.

That fact is that most people don't want a vette.

I'm with you but I like that my car is lumped in there with this level of car :)

That being said i think CS was probably speaking of the base level regarding the the value and i still don't know that I agree. I think the mustang GT is hard to beat for the money....the GTO was UGLY but for the $ not a bad little car either....I just hate what they did to it from a looks standpoint. I can't help it though I still like my car. I can run low 11's and high 10's at the track then swap tires and put the top down to cruise home while listening to CD'd or my Ipod. Pretty soon it will be consistent 10's at the track and the same drive home. The car looks great. i get a lot of attention in it. I can take my dog and my kid in it (or my wife and 2 kids) and i have a good group of friends through this site with the same interest in the car.

If my car is mentioned with the upscale viper's, vette's, porsches, etc then that's great....I may even win a few of those challenges in my simple little mustang ;)

Couldn't have said it better. The GT500 IMO is a fun car to drive. I have (2) vipers that sat the better part of this summer while I drove the Shelby. It may be that I'm older now and just don't enjoy 2 seaters as much.

Couldn't have said it better. The GT500 IMO is a fun car to drive. I have (2) vipers that sat the better part of this summer while I drove the Shelby. It may be that I'm older now and just don't enjoy 2 seaters as much.

I like Vettes too! My point revolves around this: Shelby's matra haas always been he's building our cars to compete against Vettes...that's always been the case. In a marketing standpoint he looks rediculous making these statements...yes anything for a buck. Now let's talk about brand loyalty. Whenever anyone bashes a Shelby product or makes a comment a Shelby person (at SAI) doesn't agree with, they say it's all about BRANDING AND BRAND LOYALTY. I guess that only applys to some selective people as I now see it. I'm going to put a Vette engine in my Shelby and call it a CR. :hysterical2:

I like Vettes too! My point revolves around this: Shelby's matra haas always been he's building our cars to compete against Vettes...that's always been the case. In a marketing standpoint he looks rediculous making these statements...yes anything for a buck. Now let's talk about brand loyalty. Whenever anyone bashes a Shelby product or makes a comment a Shelby person (at SAI) doesn't agree with, they say it's all about BRANDING AND BRAND LOYALTY. I guess that only applys to some selective people as I now see it. I'm going to put a Vette engine in my Shelby and call it a CR. :hysterical2:

He's how old, 85 he doen't giove a damn about Markining!!

He's how old, 85 he doen't giove a damn about Markining!!

He use to care about marketing a lot, maybe not so much anymore...

GT500 vs. BoreVette is not a fair comparison

GT500 vs. Challenger or Camaro, fair comparison

BoreVette vs. GT or Viper, fair comparison

I saw a car carrier with 4 Z06's on it today, that totals 7 that I've seen this week; I see them all the time, I see regular BoreVettes even more... Since August of 2006 I've seen 9 GT500's driving on the street, the exclusivity of our cars is one of the things I like most about our cars.

I'd buy a used GT before I bought a ZR1...But I bleed Ford blue :hysterical:

Here is a good article comparing the two cars. It goes into the pros and cons of each:

Link-> http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11...eavy-pedal.html

Thanks for the Article.. :headspin: I think he simply told the truth, the Corvette is a nice vehicle.It doen't mean he thinks any less of the GT 500 or FORD. It never hurts paying a compliment like that in public and he probably will be respected that much more. Now for the Article & Vette. To only have 10th faster in the Quarter, 600-700lbs lighter, and 10,000.00 more.... :hysterical2::hysterical:

I think I'll take my 10 thousand and buy a KB or Whipple, put the groceries in the back seats and spank it's little :censored: :happy feet:

Thanks for the Article.. :headspin: I think he simply told the truth, the Corvette is a nice vehicle.It doen't mean he thinks any less of the GT 500 or FORD. It never hurts paying a compliment like that in public and he probably will be respected that much more. Now for the Article & Vette. To only have 10th faster in the Quarter, 600-700lbs lighter, and 10,000.00 more.... :hysterical2::hysterical:

I think I'll take my 10 thousand and buy a KB or Whipple, put the groceries in the back seats and spank it's little :censored: :happy feet:

To be fair this is the base type vette so really gears could probably nake up the difference the KB etc is saved fo the Z06+. How do you think they feel when a vert mustang with a 6'5" 285 pound driver and 6'9" 250 pound passenger eat them up with the top down. It's a feeling I won't soon forget as the driver :)

If you will read ANY article in print you will see that NO one has any negatives to speak of about C 6

You can not buy a better more agile car for the money. Weight to H/ P ratios are great. Braking is great. No Ill driving issues. Our cars are no comparison to these. But this a apple to orange comparison. A arrow in aerodynamics compared to a box. A lite weight compared to a full size. Face it our cars are as heavy as any comparison you might ever consider.

But they do not have a back seat. (we almost don't) I love my car, but it is not a vette. I have had six. Just because I don't drive one now does not blind me to the truth. Probably what Shelby was saying.

ILLEGAL

Just Business!!

I think you just said that vette owners like to have their buddy's ride on their laps? :redcard::censored:

Just a check up from the neck up...... If it wasn't for Carroll would you have spent 60-90,000 for a Mustang?

There are lots of other builders out there and at the end of the day, all you would have is a mustang with performance upgrades.

Lets face it out if you take Carroll and the history of his products out of the picture, the value of these cars wouldn't be there. The Mustang is an OK car and Carroll makes it what it is.

So if you hear his comments about the Vette he is simply stating the truth. It is a different type of car than the GT500, so I don't see any conflict in telling it like it is.

The biggest difference is this, Vette owners have "SMALL JOHNSONS" and GT500 owners don't need the Vette to enhance anything!!!!!!!!!

Meckonica

07XL0226

Black 40th Vert - Super Snake

# 2 of 15

Just a check up from the neck up...... If it wasn't for Carroll would you have spent 60-90,000 for a Mustang?

There are lots of other builders out there and at the end of the day, all you would have is a mustang with performance upgrades.

Lets face it out if you take Carroll and the history of his products out of the picture, the value of these cars wouldn't be there. The Mustang is an OK car and Carroll makes it what it is.

So if you hear his comments about the Vette he is simply stating the truth. It is a different type of car than the GT500, so I don't see any conflict in telling it like it is.

The biggest difference is this, Vette owners have "SMALL JOHNSONS" and GT500 owners don't need the Vette to enhance anything!!!!!!!!!

Meckonica

07XL0226

Black 40th Vert - Super Snake

# 2 of 15

But what about branding...this is like a Pepsi Executive saying Cherry Coke is great...even though it may be great, you don't make statements like that about the product you've positioned as the competition. His little lady is always talking about maintaining the brand of the Shelby...you can't have your cake and eat it too. I just happen to like straight shooters, period. It's important to stay on point with post responses and not divert to the general benefits of what Carroll does...he generally does the right thing...that's not the point being made here.

But what about branding...this is like a Pepsi Executive saying Cherry Coke is great...even though it may be great, you don't make statements like that about the product you've positioned as the competition. His little lady is always talking about maintaining the brand of the Shelby...you can't have your cake and eat it too. I just happen to like straight shooters, period. It's important to stay on point with post responses and not divert to the general benefits of what Carroll does...he generally does the right thing...that's not the point being made here.

Also is a small Johnson the same as a small Dickson? Just Cuntius oh I meant curious.

Archived