TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Transmission & Clutch & Flywheel installation

Grabber

Mark,

I'm glad to hear you got your TSB installed. You have a few miles on your car and like you said you needed a clutch anyways. You scored in that matter IMO.

The difference in the shifter is the bends in the iron and the bushings.

I don't have the rattle / buz that shows in the TSB and my car was built after that date...so I'm good.

Thanks,

Rob

good Morning Rob,

I also noticed from your install pics that the rear of the orig shifter has a mounting bar extending out of the sides of the large rubber dampener with mounting holes on both sides. The new one does not have this bar. In the pics of your install (the first removal part) it shows that the bar is connected into the body of the car with a bolt on either side. however I did not see a pic of the final install of the new shifter. I assume that it is not bolted in to the body and floats which would put less noise into the drivers compartment. Are my assumptions correct?

Also I would assume that a shorter throw shifter would be easier on the transmission? I am still upset that the Ford reps would not let my dealer install a Ford Racing product that (according to Ford Racing) does not violate my warranty. From the pics it is hard to see a difference in the bends but the difference at the rear rubber dampener mounting bar clearly shows one it different from the other.

Thanks again for all the info!!! I really appreciate all the time you and everyone on this forum spends educating the rest of us who need quality help from time to time.

Mark

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mark,

The rubber bumper on the factory shifter is a installation aide / alignment positioning bumper for the factory robot to position the shifter correctly during assembly. The same robot that builds the GT500 also builds the Mustang GT and V6 car. The trannys in those cars are different so the bumper compensates for the installation because all the cars run down the same line in a mixed fashion.

Rob

Mark,

The rubber bumper on the factory shifter is a installation aide / alignment positioning bumper for the factory robot to position the shifter correctly during assembly. The same robot that builds the GT500 also builds the Mustang GT and V6 car. The trannys in those cars are different so the bumper compensates for the installation because all the cars run down the same line in a mixed fashion.

Rob

Rob,

Thanks again. I went back through this thread completely and found the correct pic that shows the mounting bracket going over the rubber bumper which is used on both units. Just called my dealer and explained the differences between the two shifters. He is getting me a quote to do the driveshaft and shifter in another 7K miles.

I did notice a few questions in your postings about the missing square bumper on the small square plate near the center of the new shifter. Did you end up transferring the the one from the orig shifter to the new one? If so did you glue it?

Thanks,

Mark PS - Even though they did not do the shifter and driveshaft the difference in shifting and launch power is very large!!! Feels like a different car...AND I can actually shift into reverse now on the first try!

Well worth spending $1900 for the warranty and $100 for the upgrade. My warranty expires in 7k miles so now I will have to contact Ford to see if I can extend it again. Everyone needs to have this change done!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Mark,

I must not of been clear. The rubber bumper is a robot aid during assembly. It's not needed for the shifter to function.

Please re-read my post above.

Hi Rob,

Been driving it for 3 weeks now and WOW what an improvement! Really solid launches now but the mileage is down a bit.

Some bad news though...I lost my job of 10 years as a principle applications engineer in the audio group last Wed at National Semiconductor. Now I will have to put the shifter and drive shaft in myself somehow. Also now that I am not commuting 100 miles every day gas is cut in 1/2!!! As is my 401K and my company options also...And they expire now in 4 months while the stock is down by 1/2! I did sell %60 of them though a year and 1/2 ago to buy the GT500 and my wife's Honda Pilot when the stock was at 29. Now it is at 11! Hope the market recovers after the first of the year but with the new president promising to raise taxes I do not have much hope now.

In addition the night I was laid off I was driving home, it was Veterans Day, and someone launched an egg at the passenger side of my car from the side of the road. It shook the car so hard it rolled 10-20 degrees to the left. The impact left a semicircle cut down to the primer where the shells cut through the paint. Why would anyone do that? I filled out a police report in case they did it to anyone else that night.

Anyway now I will not be extending the warranty at 85k miles but without driving it anymore the warranty might last another year! So there is some good news in all of this!

Thanks again for all the help.

Mark / MSB Mustang

Hi Rob,

Been driving it for 3 weeks now and WOW what an improvement! Really solid launches now but the mileage is down a bit.

Some bad news though...I lost my job of 10 years as a principle applications engineer in the audio group last Wed at National Semiconductor. Now I will have to put the shifter and drive shaft in myself somehow. Also now that I am not commuting 100 miles every day gas is cut in 1/2!!! As is my 401K and my company options also...And they expire now in 4 months while the stock is down by 1/2! I did sell %60 of them though a year and 1/2 ago to buy the GT500 and my wife's Honda Pilot when the stock was at 29. Now it is at 11! Hope the market recovers after the first of the year but with the new president promising to raise taxes I do not have much hope now.

In addition the night I was laid off I was driving home, it was Veterans Day, and someone launched an egg at the passenger side of my car from the side of the road. It shook the car so hard it rolled 10-20 degrees to the left. The impact left a semicircle cut down to the primer where the shells cut through the paint. Why would anyone do that? I filled out a police report in case they did it to anyone else that night.

Anyway now I will not be extending the warranty at 85k miles but without driving it anymore the warranty might last another year! So there is some good news in all of this!

Thanks again for all the help.

Mark / MSB Mustang

The drive shaft and shifter install are easy, you can do it. You will need to drive your car up on some good ramps and jack the rear half up, place some solid jack stands under your differential. You just need to be able to have some room to work and some basic hand tools. When your ready, plenty of people to answer any questions here.

Very sorry to here about your job and hope you find something you like. That sucks about the egg, must have been a BMF. Good thing about that is, what goes around comes around and it will catch him.

Good Luck

The drive shaft and shifter install are easy, you can do it. You will need to drive your car up on some good ramps and jack the rear half up, place some solid jack stands under your differential. You just need to be able to have some room to work and some basic hand tools. When your ready, plenty of people to answer any questions here.

Very sorry to here about your job and hope you find something you like. That sucks about the egg, must have been a BMF. Good thing about that is, what goes around comes around and it will catch him.

Good Luck

Hi LuckySnake,

Thanks for the advice. I think next week when I have sent out all the resumes I can and my thoughts are a little more in control I will will give your suggestions a try.

I have learned over the years not to attempt something this difficult when I am not as focused as I should be. The good thing is a large project like this will cause me enough frustrations and bloody knuckles that it will take my mind off of the bad job situation that I am looking at right now. Glad I bought the parts several months ago while they were doing the TSB to the drive train (I thought I was going to have them put them on almost for free but the Ford factory person supervising the TSB work said NO!) because now I would not spend the money. But since I have the parts and I am not going to extend the warranty now I might as well do it!

Best Regards,

Mark / MSB Mustang

Mark,

I hope you land a new job very soon. I know you will bounce back soon. Keep positive and go get yourself a better job. I'm sorry to hear about the jerk and the egg. There are alot of mean people around.

meanpeople.jpg

Thanks Rob,

You are right, as usual. Keeping positive is really important and I do have a lot to be thankful for. My wife is way better today and I also got a phone call for an interview appointment after Thanksgiving with one of the larger US amplifiers companies for a consulting job . May not lead to a job but it is nice to have hope. The whole country seems to be a bit short on hope for new jobs right now. I pray that the new group in Washington does not raise taxes because that will doom any new job growth for sure.

Another positive thing is that it is cheaper now to drive my GT500 what with premium gas at $2.55 a gal in the Bay Area. Hope the government does not make me convert it over to batteries!

Mark

PS - I love the new clutch!

• 7 months later...

I was on my way to va from nc, on the interstate going about 70. Went to pass a truck in 6th gear, gave it gas and the clutch slipped. Bought a ford extented warranty and all, even though I don't need it yet! They said my car is not eligible? I've had gears grinding, hisses all the time now and chatters bad. I don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated since its my only cart and I deploy in a month for a year.

I was on my way to va from nc, on the interstate going about 70. Went to pass a truck in 6th gear, gave it gas and the clutch slipped. Bought a ford extented warranty and all, even though I don't need it yet! They said my car is not eligible? I've had gears grinding, hisses all the time now and chatters bad. I don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated since its my only cart and I deploy in a month for a year.

Was it the dealer or Ford ESP that said it wasn't covered? If it was the dealer, which one was it if you don't mind me asking? Also, what year is your car and how many miles?

Edited by Afterburner

It was a dealer in newport news( not gonna throw them under the bus yet) and they said they would make some calls monday but not looking good. And it was the dealer that said this. It's an 08 and has 32k on it. I took it in awhile ago about the clutch cause it chattered and the bearing was making a lot of noise. They told me it was normal. Go figure.

It was a dealer in newport news( not gonna throw them under the bus yet) and they said they would make some calls monday but not looking good. And it was the dealer that said this. It's an 08 and has 32k on it. I took it in awhile ago about the clutch cause it chattered and the bearing was making a lot of noise. They told me it was normal. Go figure.

That's a good amount of mileage on the clutch. If it was Hall Ford, I have a small amount of experience with them that left a bad taste in my mouth. You can read it here: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25793

That's a good amount of mileage on the clutch. If it was Hall Ford, I have a small amount of experience with them that left a bad taste in my mouth. You can read it here: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25793

That's not the dealer. Great story! But that is who I bought mine from. I got mine 2k below sticker though. I took mine in for the free oil change and they had put 5 qts of 5w20 in it! They corrected that but I have never been back.

• 6 months later...

I was reviewing this whole entire forum cause i have having small problems with my clutch. today when i was sitting in a parking lot with the car on, and i would put it through the gears with the clutch in. Every once in a while it wouldn't let me put it in a gear and i would have to put it in another gear and then put it in. I got the TSB done before Christmas but my part number is 7R3Z 6375 B..... not AA like yours. I'm in a bundle of problems lol. Should i take it back to ford??

I was reviewing this whole entire forum cause i have having small problems with my clutch. today when i was sitting in a parking lot with the car on, and i would put it through the gears with the clutch in. Every once in a while it wouldn't let me put it in a gear and i would have to put it in another gear and then put it in. I got the TSB done before Christmas but my part number is 7R3Z 6375 B..... not AA like yours. I'm in a bundle of problems lol. Should i take it back to ford??

Could be a synchro problem , take back to the dealer let them check it out.

• 1 year later...

Rob, was the VIN stamped (or on a sticker) somewhere on your original tranny?

Tob

It is stamped. I still have my original. Here's some photos:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34227-your-vin-%23-is-stamped-on-your-tranny/page__view__findpost__p__532979__hl__stamped__fromsearch__1