TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dealer comment about the SGT

Gibs07GTcpe

So is it the SVT guys that build the GT500 engine or not? Or are they just calling them something else now? I knew they did not have an 05-06 and that figures because I wanted to get a Cobra in 04 and was not able to but then in 05 I was financial able to and they were gone.....sigh missed opportunities.

Then what my buddy claimed about having to goto a certain dealer makes sense. Seems like Ford should just require all their mechanics to achieve the certification so that it would be more customer friendly.

Gib

YES! It is the SVT guys that hand build the engine for the GT500. The same guys that hand built the engine for the Ford GT and the previous Cobras.

Here is a little back ground for you to read:

2007 Shelby GT500

Ford SVT Heritage

Where It All Began

The 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 has been developed by the Ford Special Vehicle Team (SVT) in collaboration with Ford Racing and Carroll Shelby.

Ford SVT’s Mission and Purpose

• The Ford Special Vehicle Team was established in 1991 to “Polish the Ford Oval” by creating low-volume, factoryproduced vehicles designed for those select few whose idea of driving is a high-powered, passionate experience — not just a means of getting from point A to point B

• Mission — To create vehicles specifically designed to meet the unique needs and desires of the knowledgeable driving enthusiast

The Hallmarks of Ford SVT

• Performance — Increased power, refined road manners and balancing of engine, suspension and braking systems

• Substance — Character that is built in, not added on

• Value — A lot of performance and driving pleasure for the money

A Brief History of Ford SVT

• Late 1991 — Neil Ressler, Vice President of Research & Vehicle Technology and Chief Technical Officer, along with Bob Rewey, Ford Vice President of Marketing and Sales, introduced the Ford Special Vehicle Team

• 1992 — Official launch of the 1993 SVT Mustang Cobra and SVT F-150 Lightning

• 1993 — SVT Mustang Cobra and SVT F-150 Lightning arrive in dealerships. The first-generation race-ready Cobra R hits the street as well as the track

• 1994 — The second-generation SVT Mustang Cobra is introduced. Cobra is selected as the Indianapolis 500 Pace Car

• 1995 — SVT Mustang Cobra Convertible gets the option of a removable hardtop. The second-generation Cobra R rolls off the assembly line equipped with a modified 351 cid Windsor V-8 engine producing 300 horsepower

• 1996 — The SVT Mustang Cobra receives an all-new handbuilt 4.6L 32-valve V-8 producing 305 horsepower. Cobra coupes get an option of Mystic color changing paint. SVT Contour is revealed at the Chicago Auto Show

• 1997 — SVT Contour arrives in dealerships in the second quarter as a 1998 model. SVT reaches the milestone of 50,000 vehicles sold

• 1998 — SVT Mustang Cobra offers the highly requested Canary Yellow paint option and a new 5-spoke wheel. 1998.5 E1 model SVT Contour receives new 5-spoke wheels and revised suspension tuning

• 1999 — The SVT F-150 Lightning returns to the lineup with a hot new 5.4L supercharged Triton® V-8 engine producing 360 horsepower and 440 lb.-ft. of torque. SVT Mustang Cobra receives freshened styling, 15 more horsepower and a unique independent rear suspension

• 2000 — The third-generation Cobra R rolls off the assembly line at the Dearborn Assembly Plant. It is the fastest factorybuilt Mustang to date. The first SVT Experience is held in Dearborn, Michigan

• 2001 — SVT F-150 Lightning receives freshened styling, aluminum driveshaft, 3.73:1 rear axle ratio and 380 horsepower. This helps make Lightning the fastest production truck on the planet. SVT Mustang Cobra is updated with new seats and appearance items. The 2002 SVT Focus is unveiled at the Chicago Auto Show

• 2002 — The much anticipated 2003 SVT Mustang Cobra is unveiled at the Chicago Auto Show. With 390 horsepower and 390 lb.-ft. of torque, the 2003 Cobra becomes the most powerful production Mustang in history. SVT reaches the milestone of 100,000 vehicles produced

• 2003 — The 2004 SVT Mustang Cobra makes its debut

The Carroll Shelby Connection

“It’s one thing to put 450 horsepower in an exotic supercar. It’s another to put that much power in something as affordable as Mustang. The fact that they not only met their goal but pushed on to 500 horsepower is a remarkable achievement.” – Carroll Shelby

After 40 years, racing legend Carroll Shelby, Ford Motor Company and Mustang are back together to create the 2007 Ford Shelby GT500. Shelby also served as senior advisor on the team that developed and built the Ford GT.

• Shelby built his reputation on a successful racing career. He broke land speed records at Bonneville in 1954 for Austin Healey. He won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1959 alongside teammate Roy Salvadori. Shelby was part of the FIA World Grand Touring Championship and Ford GT-40 victories at Le Mans

• Shelby first put his name on a Mustang in 1965. The result was the GT350R, a lightweight, handling-focused race car that earned Mustang its first performance credentials

• Later Shelby Mustangs included a street version of the race car, the GT350 and the “rent-a-racer” Mustang, the Hertz GT350H

• The ultimate Shelby Mustang of the era was the GT500KR or “King of the Road.” It was powered by a big block 428-cubic-inch “Cobra Jet” V-8

• Shelby Mustang production ended in 1970 with a total volume of 14,559 vehicles

• Shelby was inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame in 1992

What’s Being Said About the Ford Shelby GT500

Ford insiders and the automotive press have great things to say about the 2007 Shelby GT500.

“When Carroll was developing the original GT350 and GT500, he wanted to build the most powerful, capable Mustangs of his day. Our goal was to build the most powerful, most capable Mustang ever.” – Hau Thai-Tang, Director, Advanced Product Creation and Special Vehicle Team

“The GT500 takes a huge leap forward by combining the modern Mustang muscle car with the classic Shelby performance look.” – Doug Gaffka, Design Director, Ford SVT Vehicles

“The Shelby GT500 is sure to cause new rounds of agony and ecstasy among Mustang fans who can’t get close to one for another year yet.” – thecarconnection.com

“The GT500 is by definition a muscle car, but it’s not one of those remorseless brass bushing brutes that make their owners pay for visceral gratification with a

relentless assault on their hearing and skeletal integrity. … In contrast, the GT500 should deliver enough compliance to make everyday driving a pleasure rather than a punishment, and we anticipate that interior noise levels may actually be lower than they are in a stock Mustang GT Coupe.” – Tony Swan, Car and Driver, July 2005

“If you just want to make the Mustang live a bit more happily with a 60 percent increase in engine output, it’s fairly simple to do. If you want it to equal the handling of the Mustang GT despite a larger displacement engine, that takes a bit more work. But if you want to hold it up to a whole new set of standards and be worthy of the Shelby GT500 name, then you better be prepared to roll up your sleeves.” – Tom Chapman, SVT Vehicle Dynamics Supervisor

The Ford Shelby GT500 has been developed by the Ford Special Vehicle Team (SVT) in collaboration with Ford Racing and Carroll Shelby.

It has been designed specifically to meet the unique needs and desires of the knowledgeable driving enthusiast.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is the 69 and 70 real shelbys? Those never went to Shelby either. Only produced at Ford.

When people have the 40th and supersnake done by shelby and their cars are done at one of the mod shops instead of SAI will those still be real shelbys? If so, why? If not why?

What is the difference between some EMPLOYEE that works at SAI vs some EMPLOYEE working at an authorized mod shop vs some EMPLOYEE working at Ford doing the work on building these cars?

How does one EMPLOYEE over another EMPLOYEE make the car any different?

Carroll Shelby did not PERSONALLY build any of these cars. Every single one of them were completely built by an EMPLOYEE. Everyone single one of them Carroll Shelby had a part in how they were built.

So how does it make any difference where or by what employee did the work when they all were doing the work under the direction of Carroll Shelby????

Please explain the difference because I don't get it.

Gotta love employees :hysterical2:

Things have gotten a tad bit more crowed here thats for sure. This was Stangsunleashed and is no more ... now its TEAM SHELBY ... fine by me

But in my posting on other sites to announce the Shelby get together in Florida ... I was on the site that was strickly SHELBYGT ... very similiar to stangsunleashed aka TEAM SHELBY but not totally. I joined that site about 10 days ago and I think two days ago it ceased to exist and was moved over to TEAM SHELBY ....

IT WAS ASSIMILATED

personally i blame the borgs :hysterical2:

Gotta love employees :hysterical2:

Things have gotten a tad bit more crowed here thats for sure. This was Stangsunleashed and is no more ... now its TEAM SHELBY ... fine by me

But in my posting on other sites to announce the Shelby get together in Florida ... I was on the site that was strickly SHELBYGT ... very similiar to stangsunleashed aka TEAM SHELBY but not totally. I joined that site about 10 days ago and I think two days ago it ceased to exist and was moved over to TEAM SHELBY ....

IT WAS ASSIMILATED

personally i blame the borgs :hysterical2:

I was watching Barrett-Jackson last night and a 1969 Shelby GT350 sold for $70000 the statment was made the 69,70's don't fetch anywhere near the early Shelby's. Now we are talking small block cars here like the 65 GT350 .So lets see what the 65-66 Shelby's go for on saturday .

ShelbyDude,

I have to thank you for taking the time to set the record straight. I appreciate your time and effort.

It sheds a whole new light.

Thanks so much.

-sam

I was watching Barrett-Jackson last night and a 1969 Shelby GT350 sold for $70000 the statment was made the 69,70's don't fetch anywhere near the early Shelby's. Now we are talking small block cars here like the 65 GT350 .So lets see what the 65-66 Shelby's go for on saturday .

A 1971 Mach 1 also went for $70K a little bit later.

Sweet ** 2

The GT500 and SGT are both Shelbys.

The SGT is just a "limited edition" while the GT500 is for the masses.

oh no he didn't..............

That is going to raise the blood pressure of those GT500 owners who thought they were buying a limited edition car only to find out 24K plus wil be built.

Here we go with the GT500 vs SGT on the Shelby GT section of this forum. If you love the GT500 then spend time @ that section.Nobody was knocking your car just the salesman. Most SGT people don't post on that site,because they want to talk about and share experience's about their SGT.

Yes. There IS a gt500 section, guys :headspin:

oh no he didn't..............

That is going to raise the blood pressure of those GT500 owners who thought they were buying a limited edition car only to find out 24K plus wil be built.

Why should it? Their blood pressure already raised after hearing Ford lied about it being for two years only. There probably will be close to 24K made after they produce more for 09. And they will probably build thousands more for 2010 and each year after that.

If any of these cars were to become collectable in 40 years from now I would not be surprised if it is the SGT that ends up being the most desireable in the end. Mainly because of the fact they only built about 8K total over two years VS 18K GT500's over two years and probably closer to 24K over three years.

The 08 will be the most desireable with only 2300 made. The CA editions more so because of only 300 made. The BJ editions more so because of only a 100 being made.

Isn't that a hoot? The ones that had to be given away when they were new will be the ones that bring the bigger money in 40 years over the ones that demanded $20K + premiums when they were new!

I don't care either way because I got mine to drive and enjoy TODAY! So I don't care what happens in 40 years from now. If I still have it and I'm around then I will still be driving it and enjoying it!

I thought this was over, but now I know it will never be over! The Gt500 is an awesome car, the SGT is an awesome car but no one thought the SGT would be underpowered to us high HP enthusiasts and no one thought the GT 500 would be just another production car with 24K made! So we both have good things and bad things about our cars and they both still draw crowds where ever they go. So it is in the eye-of-the-beholder what your car is but one thingn is for sure, they'll never be like the old ones and never draw as much coin as the old ones just the way it is.

NOTE: That being said I do like the appearance of the ShelbyGT better than the GT500. Also the Shelby GT with the factory/SAI installed SC is one awesome car and I would rather have that than a GT500 anytime or any day.

yes that is my .02 cents!!

Why should it? Their blood pressure already raised after hearing Ford lied about it being for two years only. There probably will be close to 24K made after they produce more for 09. And they will probably build thousands more for 2010 and each year after that.

If any of these cars were to become collectable in 40 years from now I would not be surprised if it is the SGT that ends up being the most desireable in the end. Mainly because of the fact they only built about 8K total over two years VS 18K GT500's over two years and probably closer to 24K over three years.

The 08 will be the most desireable with only 2300 made. The CA editions more so because of only 300 made. The BJ editions more so because of only a 100 being made.

Isn't that a hoot? The ones that had to be given away when they were new will be the ones that bring the bigger money in 40 years over the ones that demanded $20K + premiums when they were new!

I don't care either way because I got mine to drive and enjoy TODAY! So I don't care what happens in 40 years from now. If I still have it and I'm around then I will still be driving it and enjoying it!

I would have to agree with that.....I know of at least 1 2007 SGT that is gone already......

Do tell...

By the way, do the guys with the 60's Shelby's consider ANY of our cars real???

That is a good question....

Gib

GT500 for the masses???

Since when did 24K become "for the masses". Sounds pretty limited to me.

Shelby GT more desirable than GT500 in 30-40 years?

How "limited" a car is...is only one factor in what will make Shelbys desirable in the future. And don't forget, Shelby is not done yet. Who knows what offerings they are cooking up for teh future. Would a 2009 or 2010 GT350 make the SGT less desirable? Just enjoy them today...whether a SGT or GT500, KR, SS, BJ, 40th, Terlingua, cobra, new or old. All are awesome cars....I would love to bid on the black GT500KR with sunroof at BJ. :dreamy:

Are 2006+ real Shelbys?

They are all real Shelbys! Old and new....if Carrol Shelby says it's a Shelby...it's a Shelby. Change "real" to "desirable". They are all desirable, but some are more desirable than others....which is like beauty...it's in the eye of the beholder. And that is why this argument is so stupid.

GT500 for the masses???

How "limited" a car is...is only one factor in what will make Shelbys desirable in the future. And don't forget, Shelby is not done yet. Who knows what offerings they are cooking up for teh future. Would a 2009 or 2010 GT350 make the SGT less desirable? Just enjoy them today...whether a SGT or GT500, KR, SS, BJ, 40th, Terlingua, cobra, new or old. All are awesome cars....I would love to bid on the black GT500KR with sunroof at BJ. :dreamy:

Are 2006+ real Shelbys?

They are all real Shelbys! Old and new....if Carrol Shelby says it's a Shelby...it's a Shelby. Change "real" to "desirable". They are all desirable, but some are more desirable than others....which is like beauty...it's in the eye of the beholder. And that is why this argument is so stupid.

Considering that Shelby produced only 13,769 cars in total between 1965 and 1970 then 24,000 GT500's is a huge number for three years. By comparison the SGT had roughly 5,000 cars built in 2007 and less then 3,000 in 2008 completing the run. Much more like typical Shelby numbers between 1965 and 1970 per year. 24,000 GT500's is nearly 500 cars per state in the US, thats alot of GT500's.

GT500 for the masses???

Are 2006+ real Shelbys?

hi i had a 67 Gt500 .sold it and bought a 69 GT350 conv that cs owned ,and than bought a 69 GT350 sports roof and you would not believe how many times i was told it was not a real shelby i sold it for 72.500 to buy my shelbygt and just traded it in for a 08 shelby gt conv now iam really happy, a friend came over and said i see you got a baby shelby lol

hi i had a 67 Gt500 .sold it and bought a 69 GT350 conv that cs owned ,and than bought a 69 GT350 sports roof and you would not believe how many times i was told it was not a real shelby i sold it for 72.500 to buy my shelbygt and just traded it in for a 08 shelby gt conv now iam really happy, a friend came over and said i see you got a baby shelby lol

Be ready to kick yourself tonight when you see what Mr. Shelby's car brings tonight at Barrett-jackson!

GT500's is nearly 500 cars per state in the US, thats alot of GT500's.

Indeed. And, the Shelby name is the lyinchpin, isn't it?

Though is has SVT and Shelby brands all over it (as I have read here), take them away and sales would suffer. Ford was very smart to license the Shelby name before projecting 24,000 production units. 500 HP or not, calling it anything else would impact sales.

I can't recite exactly what role Carroll Shelby played in the development of the GT 500, but it's a fact that the car is not an SAI product until it gets a KR or SS upgrade.

Who kows? Maybe going with a Saleen GT 500 lable, or, a Roush GT 500 lable would bring more sales, but when you're projecting sales in the early design stages, best to go with a proven winner with a long term reputation. Any choice is still a "bet", a toss of the dice, and there's nothing wrong with picking the favored dice, eh?

It's funny to read the entire thread, ok, except for the long posts that have information in them. :hysterical2:

It's hilarious to read the SGT guys say the GT500 can't be Shelby, cuz a Shelby employee didn't work on it, the Cobra guys say it can't be SVT cuz it wasn't built inside SVT. I guess 2 blind illegal tomato pickers and a one legged retired garbage inspector came up with the idea of putting Shelby and SVT on a car and it'd sell. I bet they are in high cotton now. :hysterical2:

:banghead:

SVT-Certificate.jpg

It's funny to read the entire thread, ok, except for the long posts that have information in them. :hysterical2:

It's hilarious to read the SGT guys say the GT500 can't be Shelby, cuz a Shelby employee didn't work on it, the Cobra guys say it can't be SVT cuz it wasn't built inside SVT. I guess 2 blind illegal tomato pickers and a one legged retired garbage inspector came up with the idea of putting Shelby and SVT on a car and it'd sell. I bet they are in high cotton now. :hysterical2:

:banghead:

SVT-Certificate.jpg

I indeed get your point, Tex, but let's remember that Auto Alliance is not Shelby Automobiles, Inc.

It's true that Carroll Shelby has his name on the car (and your certificate). Exactly what he contributted to the production, I simply don't know. Thus, all I can presume at this point, is licensing of the Shelby brand name, perhaps just to enhance the reputation (and sales) of the car?

Maybe you can educated this tomato picker? What does (did) Shelby have to do with the production of the GT 500? Engineering? Upgraded parts? Field testing? Tuning? Fit and finish?

Help me?

Archived