TEAM SHELBY FORUM

WARNING - Ford Motor Company's claims ......

Somebody needs to explain to me how Ford can claim the rights to all the pictures I have taken of my car.

Does the Levi Strauss Company own the rights to all the photos that I've take of family members who happen to be wearing their jeans?

Does the General Contractor who built my house own the rights to all the pictures I've taken of it?

Maybe I'm naive, or simple minded, but I can't see a reason that could stand up as to how Ford can claim those rights. It seems to me that ownership rights would trump manufacturer's rights.

Not to worry...Ford will be out of business very soon...junk bond status. Then you will relly make some money with anything that has the defunct Ford image on it. It's called a classic collector's piece. Shelby should buy the rights to produce the Mustang when this happens!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a lot of this makes good common sense, except for two points:

A. Lawsuits are not about good common sense.

B. Lawsuits are very expensive, and as a business owner, I can assure you that you CAN be sued, even on a baseless claim, which this one is not. Anyone remember the New York lawyer who sued the owners of a dry cleaning business for $68,000,000.00 becuse they lost his suit pants? Happened very recently, summer 2007. The suit was thrown out, but the owners of the dry cleaners paid $30,000.00 in legal fees fighting it. A lawsuit would bankrupt that club in no time.

Write a letter or email to Ford about this. I wrote them to ask them to stop harrassing companies like Mustangs Plus and Mustangs and Fords magazine. They sent me a response very similar to Whitney's letter above, but at least they know how I feel.

Actually the cleaners thing happened in DC. And not only was he a lwayer, but also a Judge....I say was since he was forced to resign his position, and is currently suspended by the DC BAR pending a formal decision. I heard the cleaners was in financial trouble, but a 'good samaritan' paid off their legal fees for the opportunity to sue the judge on their behalf...heheheh I love the justice system...

Oh and I have that moron's email and address if anyone wants it...I sent him an email telling him what I thought of him. I had his phone number, but he changed it...

Not to worry...Ford will be out of business very soon...junk bond status. Then you will relly make some money with anything that has the defunct Ford image on it. It's called a classic collector's piece. Shelby should buy the rights to produce the Mustang when this happens!

Do you now anthing about football? If so, "pass it". I'd enjoy a hit off what you're smoking....

Oh and I have that moron's email and address if anyone wants it...I sent him an email telling him what I thought of him. I had his phone number, but he changed it...

If you're talking about me, everything posted is correct. Nothing has changed and you never tried to contact me. If not, nevermind.

Ford should consider spending its resoures on product development and improved customer relations rather than sticking a gun in the ribs of loyal enthusiasts.

Exactly, this is bad PR for sure.

So, if it's all about Trademark protection and getting their cut, then I guess WE could never sell our cars (with the Ford logos still attached) to another buyer for a profit... without fear of being sued.

FORD is being hypocritical here... unless they show me a similar action against EBAY and all it's sellers!

And they wonder why their company is in trouble... not enough focus in the important areas.

Keith

Somebody needs to explain to me how Ford can claim the rights to all the pictures I have taken of my car.

Does the Levi Strauss Company own the rights to all the photos that I've take of family members who happen to be wearing their jeans?

Does the General Contractor who built my house own the rights to all the pictures I've taken of it?

Maybe I'm naive, or simple minded, but I can't see a reason that could stand up as to how Ford can claim those rights. It seems to me that ownership rights would trump manufacturer's rights.

:hysterical2::hysterical2: Does the Levi Strauss Company own the rights to all the photos that I've take of family members who happen to be wearing their jeans? :hysterical2:

Good one

This isn't a case of RESELLING dupicated items, such as grandma's recipe, or building new mustangs to sell, or copying CD's and DVD's, etc.

It is one thing to take copy righted photos that belong to someone else, duplicate them and then sell them.

This is not the same thing and has nothing to do with any of that. This about taking a photo of YOUR PROPERTY, not duplicating and copying the property where you are selling that property, but taking a photo of YOUR PROPERTY and then selling YOUR PROPERTY.

How does taking a picture of YOUR PROPERTY violate copy right or trademark laws?

I'm not building another car that looks exactly like it and selling it for profit while claiming it is a Ford Mustang. It is a freaking picture of MY CAR that I own and bought and paid for! I'm not reproducing the car like you would be doing if you copy CD's, or someone's recipe and then sell it for profit. That clearly violates copy right and trademark laws.

If you took a picture of your CD and sold that picture of the CD is that the same as duplicating the CD and selling copied CD's???

It is MY car! It is MY picture that I took or it is a picture of someone elses car that I took and obtained permission from the owner of that car. What I do with those pictures is MY right, not the manufacturer that made and sold the car!

If it were that simple then how does the media get away with taking pics of celebrities, reprinting them in their news magazines and selling them for huge profits? Would pictures of common vehicles on the road not be basically the same thing???

Well put! Sustained.

This IS America, right?

Hmmmm.... I wonder if Toyota does that.....? j/k

Do you now anthing about football? If so, "pass it". I'd enjoy a hit off what you're smoking....

If you're talking about me, everything posted is correct. Nothing has changed and you never tried to contact me. If not, nevermind.

LOL- Not unless you were the judge that sued the cleaners! I hope you don't think I would have a negative opinion of a guy or girl on this forum..if you are a GT500 owner, you are at least a person of good taste! :hysterical:

No I emailed the judge...judges should be held to a higher standard having so many frivolous lawsuits cross their desks!

Archived