TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Insurance

75coug

It comes up as only a Mustang GT in all jurisdictions. I had a great deal of difficulty getting AAA to insure mine as a Shelby GT. I sent them all the paperwork we get with our cars, photos of the car, a list of what is different on our cars vs. a regular GT. In the end, I think it was only me telling them that I would the six vehicles I insure to another company if they would not do it. They were nice and all but the people to make the decisions just did not seem to understand. I am very interested in the experiences of others in this are. My car is in at the Mod Shop right now and I dread having to deal with AAA to get the car appropriately covered when it comes out of the Mod Shop. Jim

Yes, due to the VIN being assigned as the car was built, a GT. The after mods are not original, thus will not show. I was told long ago, you can insure the car as a GT, but inform the agent of the Shelby mods, and provide the added value. So long as they have that, and they might ask you to bring the car in to take a picture, you should be all set. When I insured my 69 Boss, they did the same thing. The agency will set the insurable value.

When insuring an SGT, does the VIN identify the car to the carrier merely as a Mustang GT?

I insured mine through State Farm. They consider the Shelby GT a Mustang GT and insure it as such. However, my agent included the SAI modification costs in the value of the car as indicated by my paperwork from the dealer. So, it has full window sticker coverage. As I recall the Shelby 500 did show up on their system and I assume the cost might be higher than a Mustang GT.

I'm not sure what Erie considers mine, but I was pretty tickled when I found out that it was $446 a year to add the car. I was afraid it might be a lot more. They're a good company and I am confident they will pay an appropriate amount if there is ever a claim.

Grundy Worldwide. Collector car insurance stated value. No mileage limit.

www.grundy.com

The quote for my Barrett-Jackson with a stated value of $60K is $873/year.

I'll need to check on a price from Grundy. It took 5 days of negotiating with Farners Union before they would insure the car for the 40K I paid. They charge me a little over $800 a year.

Mine is insured in California through Statefarm. Believe it or not like they insure a conversion van. The basic policy is insued as a Mustang GT. Then the agent took copies my Shelby sticker and my invoice from the mod shop and my wheels for their file. I was told the car it self may depriciate as a Mustang GT but the modifications would be payed at full value in the event of a claim.

I'll need to check on a price from Grundy. It took 5 days of negotiating with Farners Union before they would insure the car for the 40K I paid. They charge me a little over $800 a year.

Please post your experience. I pulled quotes online from them when I ordered my cars. I got them from a friend of mine that insures his '57 Chevy, '70 GTO and a couple of '70's Olds with them.

I called Grundy's today and was told that the car must be at least 25 years old before they will offer insurance. Did i get someone who didn't know what the sell????

I have Grundy on my "collector" cars, which are as new as 1990. You might want to call back and talk to a different employee.

I called Grundy's today and was told that the car must be at least 25 years old before they will offer insurance. Did i get someone who didn't know what the sell????

I got Grundy on mine no problem, did on line quote, saved lots of $$$$$$$$$

I got Grundy on mine no problem, did on line quote, saved lots of $$$$$$$$$

Be VERY careful with Grundy. I was all set up on my 07 GT500-had the binder in my hand and read the fine print. I then called Grundy and asked to speak with a claims adjuster and got a TOTALLY different story from them than I did from the salesperson. I was informed that if I took the car out of town for a weekend it was no problem IF I WAS GOING TO A CAR SHOW/EVENT!!!!!!!!!!!! I live in Phoenix and I asked what about just a two day trip out of town for a pleasure drive to the Grand Canyon if I wasn't going to a show/event and was informed NO COVERAGE!!!!!!!!!! So then I asked what if it is a great day in PHX and I wanted to put the top down and go the five miles to the doctor's office and then back home. But if while I was inside someone hit/stole it, and I was again told NO COVERAGE. The hitch is they say the car CANNOT be used for "transportation". But what good is it if there is that exclusion? Hagerty is where I ended up. Their paperwork says you must have another daily driver that is insured. I called their claims dept and ran these two scenarios past them and they said it would be covered. But Hagerty doesn't officially have a mileage limit but they make it real clear they don't want to see much more than about 2500 miles a year on the car.

I don't think there is any real for sure way to know for sure until you have a loss but I wanted to go for an agreed upon value at the front end which you can with Grundy and Hagery but not with my regular company. Without the previously agreed upon value I can just see the hassle in dealing with our regular insurance companies especially when you consider the ADMs. So this seems to be the best compromise to go with Hagerty for me. Does anybody have any good or bad personal war stories with Hagerty or Grundy?

Wow I thought I was getting a good deal at $1500 yearly. I got AIG. You guys must be old to get insurance on this car for $500 per year.

I am paying around $1000 a year with State Farm and Im 36. I do have my homeowners with them and another vehicle. I dont have a mileage limit but it is from date sensitive thing. In otherwards it is put up for the winter to the collision drops for the winter.

I am paying around $1000 a year with State Farm and Im 36. I do have my homeowners with them and another vehicle. I dont have a mileage limit but it is from date sensitive thing. In otherwards it is put up for the winter to the collision drops for the winter.

I got a quote from Haggerty and they wanted $2,400 a year, I had State Farm for a year with mileage limited to 8,000 and was paying them $1,600 for a third car. Mostly drive my work truck. If State farm would be around a grand I would not of changed.

I just called Grundy. The fellow I spoke to said you can drive it to shows, special events, parades, "short trips". When I told him I'd probably drive it to Vegas once or twice a year, he said it would not be a problem. I told him I had gotten an on-line quote and for the vehicle year (2008) and values the prices were correct. I told him that one of mine would probably see 5000 miles a year and one would approximately 0.

Also, they must be in an enclosed garage.

He did say "daily drivers" were NOT allowed.

He offered to finish the policies right then. I told him I didn't have the cars yet. He is sending me a copy of the policy by email. I will compare it to my standard Farmers policies.

As with all, due diligence is always appropriate. My observation in the past is that it's always easy to get a policy and always hard to settle a claim

Wow I thought I was getting a good deal at $1500 yearly. I got AIG. You guys must be old to get insurance on this car for $500 per year.

:hysterical2:

Yes, we are!

$650

My wife did the insurance. At that price (1 ticket in 10 years) I better check that it's insured as a Shelby...

$1500 per year - AIG Insurance

36 years old

NO tickets(that my insurance knows about :Z)

Multi car discount

Previously my insurance was with Progressive and it was over $2000 per year.

I should revise as $1500 is for both vehiches I own and that is with a $1000 deductible so the SGT is roughly $1000 per year - full coverage on the SGT/liability only on my truck...this is copied from viewing my policy on AIG web site:

1 1 1998 FORD RANGER 4x4 1FTYR11U7WPA17118

2 1 2007 FORD MUSTANG GT 1ZVHT82H275305974

COVERAGE LIMITS OF LIABILITY AUTO1 AUTO2

Bodily Injury $25,000.00/$50,000.00 PerPerson/PerAcc $ 123.00 $ 123.00

Property Damage $25,000.00 PerAcc $ 102.00 $ 102.00

Comprehensive Deductible Auto2 $1,000.00 -No Covg- $ 108.00

Collision Coverage Deductible Auto2 $1,000.00 -No Covg- $ 205.00

Extended Transportation Expenses Coverage PerDay/MaxAmount Auto2 $30.00/$900.00 -No Covg- INCL

Total Premium per Auto $ 225.00 $ 538.00

*** THIS IS NOT A BILL *** Total Full Term Premium $ 763.00 - This is 6 months

Who you calling old??? :hysterical2:

$960.00 per year for a Vert the insurance company valued at $75,000.

I should revise as $1500 is for both vehiches I own and that is with a $1000 deductible so the SGT is roughly $1000 per year - full coverage on the SGT/liability only on my truck...this is copied from viewing my policy on AIG web site:

1 1 1998 FORD RANGER 4x4 1FTYR11U7WPA17118

2 1 2007 FORD MUSTANG GT 1ZVHT82H275305974

COVERAGE LIMITS OF LIABILITY AUTO1 AUTO2

Bodily Injury $25,000.00/$50,000.00 PerPerson/PerAcc $ 123.00 $ 123.00

Property Damage $25,000.00 PerAcc $ 102.00 $ 102.00

Comprehensive Deductible Auto2 $1,000.00 -No Covg- $ 108.00

Collision Coverage Deductible Auto2 $1,000.00 -No Covg- $ 205.00

Extended Transportation Expenses Coverage PerDay/MaxAmount Auto2 $30.00/$900.00 -No Covg- INCL

Total Premium per Auto $ 225.00 $ 538.00

*** THIS IS NOT A BILL *** Total Full Term Premium $ 763.00 - This is 6 months

Good info you mentioned that we all forgot to mention....the deductible. Mine is $250. All this talking about it is making me want to review my policy and check the details. I am going to do so tomorrow. I explaied it was a Shelby, even though the vin doesnt distinguish and he assured me it was covered as such for value. But the time to find out if you got F'd is before an accident not after.

I'm with State Farm too, have been for over 20 years.

Just as it was with my last three show cars and two race cars, I have one policy for the base car, with a "rider" for the custom stuff. A carry over from the custom RV craze of the '80s. Base van insured at one level, RV upgrade to RV covered on another level.

If you want/need the full protection, lay your cards on the table with your agent. Take pics, keep all documentation handy. Deductable does factor into final costs.

Archived