TEAM SHELBY FORUM

shelby gt lower grill install help !

my new black lower grill should be here tomorrow so i want to have everything ready to install.my questions are this what kind of rivets steel,aluminum,or stainless and what size rivets.i heard there is only one hole on each side should i just use those or drill more?the two plastic pieces on each side do you just stick a screw driver in them and pop them out ,i don't want to break them.maybe someone can give me a quick install lesson on doing this, everything i try to do myself seems to turn into a big ordeal lol!!!

my new black lower grill should be here tomorrow so i want to have everything ready to install.my questions are this what kind of rivets steel,aluminum,or stainless and what size rivets.i heard there is only one hole on each side should i just use those or drill more?the two plastic pieces on each side do you just stick a screw driver in them and pop them out ,i don't want to break them.maybe someone can give me a quick install lesson on doing this, everything i try to do myself seems to turn into a big ordeal lol!!!

This was in a thread on the Shelby autos site,

Okay. I just got mine today and it is installed and tight, in both appearance and installation I just followed the instructions completely except for the following: I put the grill as it would be installed. Then I took a tool and held the grill in the exact place. I then drilled a hole and it marked on the grill. I then removed the grill and drilled the starter holes. Reinstall the grill and hold it from the back (underneath slip your arm in there) and I used self-tapping screws with lock tight instead of rivets. It held excellently. I will replace the screws with rivets in a few weeks if I feel it is not holding properly, but I have confidence that it will. It really does only take 20-30 minutes.

Here are Buds instructions,

First, remove the two lower outer “faux” grille pieces. They will pop out. Now you will also need to remove the lower splash shield. Look at the new lower grille insert, you will see on the brace a hole on each side. This is the hole where you will need to drill later. Now take the grille and place it in the opening, going in from behind the fascia. Now drill through the hole in the brace and through the fascia. Use 2 pop rivits to hold it in place. Replace the lower splash shield. Now, snap back on the two “faux” grille pieces. The lower grille insert is now completed.

Hope this helps.

Archived