TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Are tires under warranty???

chuckstang

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tires are under warranty only if it is a defect

Damage caused from road hazards is not covered under warranty. So running over and picking up a nail is not covered.

With these being a high performance tire and at the speeds we sometimes drive these at, I personally would not mess with having a tire patched or plugged.

I would just buy a new tire and have piece of mind.

That seems ridiculous?

If I buy a tire from say NTB, it is covered against road hazzards or at least you can pay to have that insurance. You mean to tell me a 45k car does not cover against road hazzards such as a nail?

In your opinion would you never use a patch or would you say it is just too close to the sidewall?

Also, can I go to a Ford dealer and have this same tire put on rather than go to an NTB?

Do I need to replace both rear tires for even wear? Lastly do you know the price for one of these rear tires?

Thanks!!!

That seems ridiculous?

If I buy a tire from say NTB, it is covered against road hazzards or at least you can pay to have that insurance. You mean to tell me a 45k car does not cover against road hazzards such as a nail?

In your opinion would you never use a patch or would you say it is just too close to the sidewall?

Also, can I go to a Ford dealer and have this same tire put on rather than go to an NTB?

Do I need to replace both rear tires for even wear? Lastly do you know the price for one of these rear tires?

Thanks!!!

You can purchase additional road hazzard coverage, but that doesn't come with the car as part of the standard warranty.

How can the manufacturer be responsible for someone running over a nail or hitting a pot hole and destroying a tire? They aren't bullitt proof.

I think these tires run about $220 each if I remember.

Any dealer can get them. Check with some local tire stores and compare pricing. Our dealership usually beats anyone's prices on tires.

I noticed today a dam nail in my tire very close to the sidewall. So Id like to know if it is safe to patch or not. It is on the right rear tire.

Here is a pic, also Id like to know if it is covered under my new car warranty.

img1922fq4.jpg

thanks

Chuck,

No, it's not covered under warranty BUT (and read carefully here) take you car to a GOODYEAR store and nowhere else. Here's why. I had the same thing happen to me in about the same place. No, it can't be fixed....it's too close to the sidewall. In any case, to save a few bucks I went to a local (but huge) tire dealer. They ordered it and installed it. I had to have the car that next day and getting to a GOODYEAR store wasn't an option for me. I called Goodyear after the fact and asked about any help from them since it had so few miles on the tires. They said "no, we don't have a road hazard policy, BUT from time to time we help out with situations like this in the name of customer service, did you take it to a GOODYEAR store?" When I answered "no", they simply said they couldn't help me.

So...first of all CALL A GOODYEAR store, not someone that sells Goodyear.

Let them know that you know the company has made adjustments in pricing under these circumstances and ask specifically if they'll call and get you a deal.

If they refuse or the answer from Goodyear is "no", take your car to a Discount Tire facility and tell them you want to buy some BFG KDWs and that you want to trade in your tires. You'll get about 20 bucks a piece if they're low miles and in good shape. I sold mine to a buddy with a Mustang GT. They're crap anyway, so why waste the money to replace one? I did it and man was I sorry I did!

bj

That seems ridiculous?

Thanks!!!

IMO I would just never use a patch on any tire pertaining to this type of car. Anything that I might drive at excessive speeds I would not want a patched or plugged tire.

I wouldn't have a problem on most vehicles, just not on this particular vehicle. IMO I just feel there is a saftey risk and it is not worth it just to save a few bucks by just buying a new tire.

Damage to tires are NOT covered under the warranty UNLESS you bought warranty from a Good Year dealer, which you could.

That nail is too close to the side wall and they will refuse to patch it.

At 151 miles a had a nail on my rear tire, right on the center, I had a patch installed and balanced the tire, $36.95.......tire is a s good as new and even if the patch fails it won't be a catastrophic failure.

I noticed today a dam nail in my tire very close to the sidewall. So Id like to know if it is safe to patch or not. It is on the right rear tire.

thanks

My wife had the same thing happen to her Tahoe within the first year we had it. We tried to have it fixed, but the mechanic warned us before had that it probably wouldn't work. It didn't, so we ended up getting a new tire within the week.

So you are all saying that my nail is too close to the sidewall to safely patch?

Since the car only has 3k miles, I could just replace the one with nail and not the other rear tire as well?

Its seems a bit crazy to just replace a tire everytime a you hit a nail because it happens quite often, no?

Hell I would only notice it when its close to the sidewall, its not like you can see the center of the tire tread unless you take your wheels off often.

I actually had a nail on my last cobra in the center of the tire and it was there for about 3 years at speeds well over 100 quite often, thank god no problems!

So you are all saying that my nail is too close to the sidewall to safely patch?

Since the car only has 3k miles, I could just replace the one with nail and not the other rear tire as well?

Its seems a bit crazy to just replace a tire everytime a you hit a nail because it happens quite often, no?

Hell I would only notice it when its close to the sidewall, its not like you can see the center of the tire tread unless you take your wheels off often.

I actually had a nail on my last cobra in the center of the tire and it was there for about 3 years at speeds well over 100 quite often, thank god no problems!

The main issue is the location of the hole. If a hole is near the sidewall like yours, the chances of repairing it are not good due to the varying forces in the tread to sidewall transition area will not allow the patch/plug to remain sealed effectively. A hole in the middle of the tread sees a more consistant set of forces & therefore a patch/plug is going to work a lot better. With a road hazard warranty, if they can't fix it, they'll replace it as long as there's a minimum amount of tread left on the tire (<9/32?).

Ok, this seems obviuos now to me, tomorrow Im just going to call my service dept at my Ford dealer and tell them I have a 2007 GT500 with 3k miles and would like to get road hazzard on my tires because I found out about it and it sounds like a good idea. Then just go there another time and say oops, I got a nail, and they will either patch it or replace it for free?

I would never patch a high performance tire that close to the sidewall.

If you find a good tire dealer that will...take pictures of them doing it and keep the receipt.

And pray it doesn't break lose going into a turn at 70.

Ok, this seems obviuos now to me, tomorrow Im just going to call my service dept at my Ford dealer and tell them I have a 2007 GT500 with 3k miles and would like to get road hazzard on my tires because I found out about it and it sounds like a good idea. Then just go there another time and say oops, I got a nail, and they will either patch it or replace it for free?

Yes, that should work. Remember, you were checking out some of the forums on line & several other owners recommended the road hazard warranty.

Yes, that should work. Remember, you were checking out some of the forums on line & several other owners recommended the road hazard warranty.

I wonder if they make you bring your car in to check the tires first before ordering the road hazzard on them?

Ill try it though and just call and not say anything about the nail and just ask about the road hazzard and getting it for my tires.

Any idea how much it is? Either way, sounds like good insurance!

In my dam neighborhood a new home is being built or added on everything month so Im sure thats where it came from, ahhhh.

Why is a blow out or tire failure more catastorphic if it is where my nail is vs somewhere in the middle of the tread?

The sidewall of your tire is like the primary support wall of your house, if it goes it's a big problem. The floor of your house is like the middle of the tire. It doesn't see higher loads that the sidewall does.

I wonder if they make you bring your car in to check the tires first before ordering the road hazzard on them?

Ill try it though and just call and not say anything about the nail and just ask about the road hazzard and getting it for my tires.

Any idea how much it is? Either way, sounds like good insurance!

In my dam neighborhood a new home is being built or added on everything month so Im sure thats where it came from, ahhhh.

Not sure on the cost. When I replaced the tires on my Saturn, I went to Walmart & it was $7 per tire.

When I lived in Kalifornia, it was in a neighborhood that was still under construction, in fact, my street was where all the remaining construction was happening. Luckily, the few nails I did pick up were in the middle of the tread AND the local tire shop only charged $5 to fix them each time.

I usually found them when I went out to my car to go to work. :banghead:

When you buy road hazard they will writte down teh serial number of the tire in the warranty........this tire that has a nail will never be covered by road hazard..........just replace teh one tire and buy road hazard for all four of them (the new one plus the 3 used ones).

Low profile/high performance tires are more prone toget fatal damage from nails etc.

A newrear tire should be just under $300.00

I just went through my warranty guide info and didnt see anything about adding road hazzard to your tire warranty.

Does anyone have any info on it, like cost and if you can still get it now?

Seems like a no brainer if it saves me from buying a tire myself.

I just want to know if I should call Ford and be honest and tell them about the nail and ask about road hazzard or just play it dumb and mention I heard about it online and wanted to purchase the road hazzard and then just go in later and claim I just ran over a nail, please replace it, assuming it is not safe to patch.

Thanks alot

Road hazard warranty is in fact an insurance policy you buy for your tires.Most tire dealers sell them. The cost is based on the cost of the tire. You can buy it for the new tire you will need to buy and the 3 used tires you now have.

When you buy road hazard they will writte down teh serial number of the tire in the warranty........this tire that has a nail will never be covered by road hazard..........just replace teh one tire and buy road hazard for all four of them (the new one plus the 3 used ones).

Low profile/high performance tires are more prone toget fatal damage from nails etc.

A newrear tire should be just under $300.00

Are you saying that if I had had road hazzard, this nail puncture still would not have been covered?

Or are you saying they will never let me get road hazzard now after the fact because of my nail puncture?

I would think they could sell me a new one for a discount since this one has so little miles and probably could be sent out to Goodyear and refurbished back to new condition and solf for new price?

Road hazard warranty is in fact an insurance policy you buy for your tires.Most tire dealers sell them. The cost is based on the cost of the tire. You can buy it for the new tire you will need to buy and the 3 used tires you now have.

Dam, so I take it they look at your tires you got now real good before giving you the road hazzard warranty to avoid fraudulent claims like I was talking about.

I just think it is retarded, I would have purchased road hazzard when I got the car, I just assumed it came with them.

Every new tire I have bought from a tire bay has come with road hazzard protection so why not a new 45k car you know. If they charge you at all it is usually pretty cheap and youd have to be retarded not to get it.

Whats my besth cheapest option then, take it to Ford and get the tire through them along with road hazzard on all 4 tires or take it to a NTB, town fair tire and order the tire from them and get their road hazzard?

thank you

Chuck,

The tire that has the nail seems to be wasted. You will have to buy a new tire to replace it. For this new tire, you can buy road hazard. You can also buy road hazard for your used GOOD tires.

If you have had road hazard PRIOR to the nail event, then, they would have had to either repair your tire for free or if not repairable, like this one seems to be, give you a new tire.

Note that road hazard warranties are proratable, meaning that if you have tire failure due to a road hazard and there was only 20% left on the threads of the tires, they only give you warranty for the 20%......not the whole (100%) tire!

Road hazard warranty does not cover teh tire if you run it under or over inflated.

Dam, so I take it they look at your tires you got now real good before giving you the road hazzard warranty to avoid fraudulent claims like I was talking about.

I just think it is retarded, I would have purchased road hazzard when I got the car, I just assumed it came with them.

Every new tire I have bought from a tire bay has come with road hazzard protection so why not a new 45k car you know. If they charge you at all it is usually pretty cheap and youd have to be retarded not to get it.

Whats my besth cheapest option then, take it to Ford and get the tire through them along with road hazzard on all 4 tires or take it to a NTB, town fair tire and order the tire from them and get their road hazzard?

thank you

Unfortunately, $100K and $150K cars tires aren't covered either if you don't buy the additional protection on top of the cost of the car.

HSURB

great info, thanks.

I think Ford will be the best bet for tire repair since we have the tire sensors on the rims and I have heard of some shops ruining them!

Do you happen to know what psi these tires should have in them stock? Im going to keep tabs on the pressure until I can get it replaced. Thanks (I checked the manual but it does not say for our tires, go figure)

great info, thanks.

I think Ford will be the best bet for tire repair since we have the tire sensors on the rims and I have heard of some shops ruining them!

Do you happen to know what psi these tires should have in them stock? Im going to keep tabs on the pressure until I can get it replaced. Thanks (I checked the manual but it does not say for our tires, go figure)

There's a sticker on the inside of the drivers side door frame that will list the pressures for the front, rear & spare (if applicable).

img1922fq4.jpg

thanks

I went down to Goodyear with about 10k miles on my tires and bought their road hazard warranty. The very next week got a nail in it and got all my money back from the service. Money well spent.

Archived