TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Production Numbers on the rise???

iceman

Sorry to those that have read this already but I wanted to make sure that it got into both threads on this issue.

The following is the last paragraph from an article located here: http://www.fastcoolcars.com/2006-2007_shelby_cobra.htm

'Final prices are not set but the last SVT Cobra cost $35,000. Ford officials say the goal is to keep this car priced less than $40,000. "You won't be able to touch this performance for the money," Thai-Tang says. GT500s will be built at the Ford/Mazda joint-venture plant in Flat Rock alongside Mustang and Mustang GT. Ford won't commit to a production number, but says it will build all the 500s drivers demand.'

Now, there's no dateline but if you read the article I think you can infer that it was written around the time of the introduction of the car at the 2005 New York Auto Show. Now, after that, production was estimated at 7000. But, lo and behold, there was a lot of demand, so production numbers were increased and the increased again and again and may continue to be increased. However, the fact remains that at the very beginning, the statement was made that supply would match demand. So please, stop whining about how you were 'raped' by Ford. Not only is that just BS, but it's also an insult to anyone who has been truly sexually assaulted in their life.

BTW, did you notice that he said they would build all that 'drivers' demand. Nothing at all in there about speculators/investors.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey - I agree that it was hinted that there would be a limited number, but I also have heard the limit would be what ever demand there was to fill.

As for protecting Ford, that is not what I am about. I believe Ford has to decide one of two things. Do they want this car to be a almost instant collectable (limit it at 15K over two years world wide) or would they rather use this to help pump up their profits and be able to build more, have more R&D, fund things like SVT, etc.

From a purely business stand point Ford has done the right thing upping the production numbers slowly. They keep selling them to the dealers who keep getting orders they keep upping the numbers. Order stop coming in and there is your limit for limited edition.

I made some wise as comments before and apologize for that, but the part I stand by is I want one and for what ever reason can not bring myself to pay over MSRP...not because I can not afford it, but simply on principal I feel it is not a wise use of my money. I can wait a little while and get one at MSRP or lower....That fact I would pay ofer MSRP 5K is only due to MY desire for this car. It has nothing to do with anyone else and nothing to do with the market value or resale etc. My desire only. You opted to get the sure thing and it cost 15K over. If you can afford that and it has that value to you it should in my view not matter what the production numbers are. You know that there is a lot of good to come from the up in numbers too.

Aftermarket is bigger

Owners events better funded

Parts mpre readily available for repair

likely lower cost and more qualified repair people

if this car is to become a legend 15K or 30K units in the likely will not matter - look at a lot of the classics - yes it takes 30-40 yrs but other than the lotto or a dot.com stock in the early 90's what doesn't?

Others will get the cops to pull them over before you get there so you avoid tickets :)

The point is if you are not happy with the purchase you made (an I am not saying you are or are not) maybe you should consider other options like selling on e-bay while the market is hot and then buying later at lower cost or something like that. If I get the deal I want I will not worry about everyone else...Just like stock if you sell at a 200% profit and it goes up another 50% you have nothing to be upset about. If you get this car at the price YOU agreed to pay then you should be happy. I know I will be but i run the risk of not getting the color, style, or options i want by waiting.

In any case i don't mean to upset and think we have at this point agreed to disagree which is fine. I respect your opinion but still feel the production increases are the right thing for the majority of the people concerned (buying public, tuners, me, Ford, dealers, and in the long run maybe even you).

If only Ford were Dell......Buy Direct Auto manufacturer....Hmmm

Thank you for the level-headed response. I do view the car as an investment, but I also want to burn off the outer layer of rubber. It will see triple digits on the highway before it sees an appreciated value. I just feel like a disservice was done by Ford execs with the illusion that a Shelby owner would be the only one on the block. Ford has about 8000 dealerships nationwide. Some of them were not to receive a single GT500, now that production figures have risen, even the small rural areas in the states will have one. This is not a view of selfishness or originality--it is purely a disappointment with the integrity of corporate management and the dollars it will cost me. It is only my personal integrity that will keep me in the money losing position I find myself. Otherwise, I would let it go and just do an extended rental with an exotic car company. There is one in Atlanta that rents Porches, Mercedes, and the like. It would be nice if they get one and I can do all the risky driving in theirs and keep mine out of the ditches.

Thanks again for the reply.

Sorry to those that have read this already but I wanted to make sure that it got into both threads on this issue.

The following is the last paragraph from an article located here: http://www.fastcoolcars.com/2006-2007_shelby_cobra.htm

'Final prices are not set but the last SVT Cobra cost $35,000. Ford officials say the goal is to keep this car priced less than $40,000. "You won't be able to touch this performance for the money," Thai-Tang says. GT500s will be built at the Ford/Mazda joint-venture plant in Flat Rock alongside Mustang and Mustang GT. Ford won't commit to a production number, but says it will build all the 500s drivers demand.'

Now, there's no dateline but if you read the article I think you can infer that it was written around the time of the introduction of the car at the 2005 New York Auto Show. Now, after that, production was estimated at 7000. But, lo and behold, there was a lot of demand, so production numbers were increased and the increased again and again and may continue to be increased. However, the fact remains that at the very beginning, the statement was made that supply would match demand. So please, stop whining about how you were 'raped' by Ford. Not only is that just BS, but it's also an insult to anyone who has been truly sexually assaulted in their life.

BTW, did you notice that he said they would build all that 'drivers' demand. Nothing at all in there about speculators/investors.

Apparently you missed my previous response. I'll restate it below, but before I do I would like for you to realize the obvious deception in what you so proudly quoted. If the mark up is a supply and demand issue, why isn't Ford meeting the demand so consumers, even A,X,Z, and D plan buyers, can obtain the rights to purchase one? Additionally, if Ford really intends on standing by this, then why hasn't this same theme been repeated so its customers will not be deceived by the delaers who proclaim "LIMITED PRODUCTION, HARD TO GET, RARE,etc" and thus over charge their clients. While the quote is accurate, its meaning is not. My contention is that FORD KNOWS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Repeat of earlier post just for you:

Please note the banter Ford is using like "instant legend" and the prominence of the $600K auction price. Do ya think Ford was planting a subliminal message that the car will appreciate and is valuable right off the production line? More to come soon...

Ford Press Release:

The most powerful factory-built Mustang ever just got even more potent. Final certification testing of the Shelby GT500’s 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 shows it will produce 500 horsepower and 480 lb.-ft. of torque – 25 more horsepower than preliminary estimates.

“With 500 hp and the Shelby name, this car is an instant legend,” said Hau Thai-Tang, director, Advanced Product Creation & SVT programs. “This is the most powerful, most capable Mustang ever.”

The Ford Shelby GT500’s supercharged 5.4-liter, 32-valve V-8 is a result of Ford’s experience in developing the modular V-8 and V-10 engine series. The engine is force-fed air via a “Roots-type” supercharger providing 9 pounds per square inch of boost. It borrows the four-valve cylinder heads, piston rings and bearings, from the Ford GT engine.

The Shelby GT500’s 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 will be built at Ford’s Romeo Engine Plant in Romeo, Mich. Pricing will be announced closer to launch.

The right to purchase the first 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 was auctioned for $600,000, with the proceeds benefiting the Carroll Shelby Children’s Foundation. The 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 goes on sale this summer.

http://www.planetmustang.com/general_news/...bers_000739.asp

Article written on MAY 9, 2006:

Yesterday, Ford Motor Company advised dealerships that 9,000 2007 Shelby GT500 Mustangs are going to be produced. This is a welcomed bump from the initial projected production numbers in the 7,500 to 8,500 range. Everything for production is on schedule and most all deliveries are anticipated to be on time, shipments beginning during the last week in June. By the end of May, dealerships are slotted to receive their exact allocation numbers.

dtharmon633, your posting style seems familiar. Have you posted here before under a different nick?

Nope. I found this site by happenstance doing a google search for Shelby info. It has been quite satisfying since i was starving for price/option/color info. The pics of various color schemes was a big help too. Unfortunately, the color choice I've made is not depicted-red/silver coupe.

I hope the other person (s) was highly regarded.

Archived