TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Functional Side Scoops

If a guy autocrossed or something I could see it but not just for the heck of it. It would be a huge undertaking and probably very $$$ for a very small gain if any. I don't know if I could chop holes in the side of my car, I'd have to have somebody do it for me....it would be too painful!

I'm just being anal :banghead:

Love the car and the retro look - but all the scoops being non-functional makes me buggy....... :waiting:

I couldn't cut the holes either, not even having a shop do it unless it was a Shelby solution...

If a guy autocrossed or something I could see it but not just for the heck of it. It would be a huge undertaking and probably very $$$ for a very small gain if any. I don't know if I could chop holes in the side of my car, I'd have to have somebody do it for me....it would be too painful!

Many guys already do lots of things they don't need to their cars, so this would just be another one. Definitely, this would be something for a Shelby Mod Shop to do.

I think it would be cool if Shelby offered maybe 3 stages of "Race Mods"., one of which might include addition of functionaly side and hood scoops. They could also sell these mods as individual services.

Curious, has anyone made or looked into having the side scoops made functional like the old GT 350's??? It looks like there is enough room to provide the plumbing to get venting to the rear breaks?

This idea has been floated around within the Saleen and Roush owners before, but you have forgotten about something.... Unlike the old GT350's, that section of the body on the newer Mustangs is not steel but rather a composit material made up of who knows what? If you open even a small hole on each side that is forcing air through it, will the fender hold up over time? This is the same reason why the 07-08 Shelby GT's come with a non-functional hoodscoop. If the Shelby GT hoodscoop was functional right now as is, I bet the factory Ford hood would buckle at speeds over 65mph. There is a reason why the hoodscoops and side vents are all non-functional on the Mustangs since what 1994 to present and this is probably it.

I am waiting for my 08 Shelby GT to get finished at the Mod Shop and would prefer to have my hoodscoop functional, but unless SAI is going to offer an aftermarket Fiberglas hood with the scoop already molded into it, us GT owners will have to look at the Super Snake and KR owners and say 'man that hood looks good'... :hysterical2:

I didn't forget...I just plain did not know that the rear side sections of the Mustang were a composite material...are you saying "plastic"???

This idea has been floated around within the Saleen and Roush owners before, but you have forgotten about something.... Unlike the old GT350's, that section of the body on the newer Mustangs is not steel but rather a composit material made up of who knows what? If you open even a small hole on each side that is forcing air through it, will the fender hold up over time? This is the same reason why the 07-08 Shelby GT's come with a non-functional hoodscoop. If the Shelby GT hoodscoop was functional right now as is, I bet the factory Ford hood would buckle at speeds over 65mph. There is a reason why the hoodscoops and side vents are all non-functional on the Mustangs since what 1994 to present and this is probably it.

I am waiting for my 08 Shelby GT to get finished at the Mod Shop and would prefer to have my hoodscoop functional, but unless SAI is going to offer an aftermarket Fiberglas hood with the scoop already molded into it, us GT owners will have to look at the Super Snake and KR owners and say 'man that hood looks good'... :hysterical2:

The whole side from front to rear is steel (one piece) . I was at the assembly plant and saw the parts being stamped out then put on racks for assembly.Then they went to robotic stations where they are welded together. Where did you get the info that they are composite?

Edit....typo

SAI cannot make the side ducts functional because the D.O.T. certifies the crash worthiness of the Mustang body and chassis as Ford originally designed, engineered, and builds the car. If SAI made any changes to the original design of the car's body, ie cutting a hole in both quarter panels, the D.O.T. would require that SAI submit/provide them several test mule cars (I believe that the number is a dozen cars) for crash test evaluation in order to certify the new design to be crash worthy on US Highways.

It would cost SAI at least one Million dollars in crashed cars to make the side ducts D.O.T. complient, and the return for that investment against the amount of SGT's being produced is just not there.

As far as the quarter window NACA brake duct kits are concerned, I have seen that set up in one of Galpin Motor Sports (GAS) GT Mustangs, and while they are quite functional, you have to make some significant changes to the back seat area and rear floor board to complete the installation, and then you will have two, three inch round brake duct hoses cascading down from the quarter panel windows and down through the rear seat. IMO that set up is great for purpose built race cars, but not so great for cars with rear seats and carpets. Although I have not installed a remote pyrometer near the brakes of my car, I believe that the front and rear cooling ducts offered by SAI does a good job in keeping brake assemblies cool under sprited driving conditions. I say that because even though I did experience brake fade with the Baer brake setup on my car last Saturday in Las Vegas, it seemed like they recovered rather quckly considering how hot they got that day.

SAI cannot make the side ducts functional because the D.O.T. certifies the crash worthiness of the Mustang body and chassis as Ford originally designed, engineered, and builds the car. If SAI made any changes to the original design of the car's body, ie cutting a hole in both quarter panels, the D.O.T. would require that SAI submit/provide them several test mule cars (I believe that the number is a dozen cars) for crash test evaluation in order to certify the new design to be crash worthy on US Highways.

It would cost SAI at least one Million dollars in crashed cars to make the side ducts D.O.T. complient, and the return for that investment against the amount of SGT's being produced is just not there.

As far as the quarter window NACA brake duct kits are concerned, I have seen that set up in one of Galpin Motor Sports (GAS) GT Mustangs, and while they are quite functional, you have to make some significant changes to the back seat area and rear floor board to complete the installation, and then you will have two, three inch round brake duct hoses cascading down from the quarter panel windows and down through the rear seat. IMO that set up is great for purpose built race cars, but not so great for cars with rear seats and carpets. Although I have not installed a remote pyrometer near the brakes of my car, I believe that the front and rear cooling ducts offered by SAI does a good job in keeping brake assemblies cool under sprited driving conditions. I say that because even though I did experience brake fade with the Baer brake setup on my car last Saturday in Las Vegas, it seemed like they recovered rather quckly considering how hot they got that day.

SON OF GT, would that apply to SAI since they do not make the car but rather just modify the vehicle? It was my understanding that is why Ford and Shelby have an agreement. SAI modifies the car, just like you could have anyone else do a modify. Would this be correct? The car is sold from Ford, if I am correct, to SAI, then SAI makes modifications and sells the vehicles.

SON OF GT, would that apply to SAI since they do not make the car but rather just modify the vehicle? It was my understanding that is why Ford and Shelby have an agreement. SAI modifies the car, just like you could have anyone else do a modify. Would this be correct? The car is sold from Ford, if I am correct, to SAI, then SAI makes modifications and sells the vehicles.

It does apply because the agreement between SAI and FoMoCo is limited in scope. SAI can do the mods they do to the Mustang because the equipment they install are all Ford approved (except for the KB blower, hense the voided warranty on any KB equipped car) bolt on items that do not require cutting into the car's body or chassis to install, which would be outside of the agreement. It also applies because SAI is licensed as a manufacturer due to the continuation AC Cobra's they build there. As an example of that, SAI has a waver from the D.O.T. to build cars (the AC Cobras) without airbags and 5 M.P.H. bumpers. They have been granted that waver because of the small numbers of Cobra's they produce every 12 months, and we should all thank our goverment for that little "gimme" or we would all have seen the end of the continutation Cobra's many years ago.

With regards to your question about the basic modification process that SAI takes to make the Mustang GT a SGT; the cars are owned by FoMoCo until the dealer takes possession of the car, then the bank owns it (flooring) until the car is sold to a customer.

BTW, sorry for the font size. I'm not yelling, I'm just trying to make the type a little easer to read.

Archived