TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clear Bra

creilly333

I'm looking to have a clear bra fitted to my black 08 GT before the front end succumbs to stone chips, but I was just quoted almost $1500 to have this done. This covers the front end of the hood, front bumper and the back of the mirrors. I had this done to a car about 4 years ago and it cost me about $400, but I no longer live in that area.

Anyone have any idea where I could have this done in the Maryland/DC/Northern VA area for a more reasonable price ??

Colin

I just had my car done (complete front end) for $600.00.

I'm not sure how I feel about the clear coat jobs. On the one hand, I like the protection idea, but, on the other hand, the cars that I've seen with them have a distinct line where the clear coat ends that you can (pardon the pun) clearly see the wax that gets trapped at the edge of the coat. However, even without the wax there, it's still really noticeable.

Wow, at $1,500, that stuff is getting as bad as "Rhino linings" for truck beds!

- Josh

I'm not sure how I feel about the clear coat jobs. On the one hand, I like the protection idea, but, on the other hand, the cars that I've seen with them have a distinct line where the clear coat ends that you can (pardon the pun) clearly see the wax that gets trapped at the edge of the coat. However, even without the wax there, it's still really noticeable.

- Josh

On the last car I had with a clear bra fitted I used a Q tip and ran it along the edge of the line where the wax builds up. That worked for me. I would rather see the line than have the alternative, but that's just my opinion. I found a couple others here in Maryland offering to do the job for $600 - $700. Getting better.

Colin

Finally found a place that will do the hood, bumpers, front of fenders and side mirrors for $550. Will be done in a week. Hopefully I can go another week without picking up any stone chips.

Colin

Both Grabber and I had VentureShield's done in Or. Not sure his price but mine ran over $1200 but it covered:

1. Full BUmper (All lights)

2.. Hood and front quarter panels UP TO Blower. My GT has a custom paint job (not vinly stipes) and it's really sweet looking.

3. Door key guards

4. Lower side panels (GT--below door)

5. Inside Door for scuffs)

6. Behind fender where dirt kicks up from rear wheel

7. Trunk guard (where dings occur when trunk opened

I added many extras. At 5 feet YOU CANNOT see any lip edges.

WHen waxing take a cotton swab with acholol and remove wax buildup. It should keep it clear.

I LOVE it. :happy feet: Live in Oregon...too much rain/dirt and small rocks to live without. :banghead: Even if I don't daily drive (5K miles on 2006 GT).

• 2 weeks later...
Both Grabber and I had VentureShield's done in Or. Not sure his price but mine ran over $1200 but it covered:

1. Full BUmper (All lights)

2.. Hood and front quarter panels UP TO Blower. My GT has a custom paint job (not vinly stipes) and it's really sweet looking.

3. Door key guards

4. Lower side panels (GT--below door)

5. Inside Door for scuffs)

6. Behind fender where dirt kicks up from rear wheel

7. Trunk guard (where dings occur when trunk opened

I added many extras. At 5 feet YOU CANNOT see any lip edges.

WHen waxing take a cotton swab with acholol and remove wax buildup. It should keep it clear.

I LOVE it. :happy feet: Live in Oregon...too much rain/dirt and small rocks to live without. :banghead: Even if I don't daily drive (5K miles on 2006 GT).

Venture Shield sounds like a great product. Did you get the 8 or 15 mil thickness?

Thanks,

Ken

- Josh

Josh,

Mine is not that noticable. I would rather see the faint line than a bunch of rock chips. I use liquid ice by turtle wax. It leaves no white build up at all. I am very happy with my clear bra.

Photos of my Clear bra by venture shield:

th_ClearBracuringintheSun002.jpg

th_ClearBracuringintheSun003.jpg

th_ClearBracuringintheSun004.jpg

th_ClearBra2ndtime004.jpg

th_ClearBra2ndtime001.jpg

th_ClearBra2ndtime002.jpg

Here is a video of mine:

th_Sep052007-VID000011.jpg

And here is a video of how strong it is:

th_Oct062007-VID000012.jpg

I got mine. Not so noticeable, even on a black car, from a few feet away, BUT, since then I have a picked up a stone chip on both doors right below the mirror :mad:

Does anyone know any way to fix these things, and do a good job, without having the whole panel resprayed ? Touch up paint sucks.

Colin

I got mine. Not so noticeable, even on a black car, from a few feet away, BUT, since then I have a picked up a stone chip on both doors right below the mirror :mad:

Does anyone know any way to fix these things, and do a good job, without having the whole panel resprayed ? Touch up paint sucks.

Colin

Take it to a good paint guy. He will touch up the spots with a small brush. Let it cure. Then wet sand with very fine paper, then buff. It will basically disappear. You need a pro to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice Video Rob ! Thank you very much never seen a clear Bra on a car before I have seen them on my wife though :hysterical2: Anyway I thought the screw driver test was awesome they R very strong.

• 1 month later...
Can anyone say OCD? I'm gonna wrap my car in bubble wrap, put it in the garage and never drive it again.

Bite me :slapfight:

I put 500 miles a month on my car pleasure riding during the spring and summer when I am not on my Harley Davidson.

I store it duing the winter and fall the way I want it.

I dislike rock chips.

....... :talkhand:

One look at your signature and what you did to your car screams OCD. So i said it.

I happen to think that you have the worst possible paint/stripe/interior available and the GT/CS stripe is ugly. That's my opinion.

You can take that as constructive criticism or as an insult. You choose.

As for your warning, there's nothing you can do to even remotely bother me. So take your threat and shove it. :tease:

One look at your signature and what you did to your car screams OCD. So i said it.

I happen to think that you have the worst possible paint/stripe/interior available and the GT/CS stripe is ugly. That's my opinion.

As for your warning, there's nothing you can do to even remotely bother me. So take your threat and shove it. :tease:

We have a good group of Shelby and Mustang folks here. We don't bash each others cars. What are you trying to do ?

Why would you insult a guy for NO reason! I dont understand what your try to do here!

We dont insult of members!

Please stop insulting the members.

michael morris

Is someone a bit jealous of someone else's toys or what :o

Hey that is just not right. Appreciate the cars and the differences otherwise this would be a pretty boring place.

GRBRRR - I have seen a little of your work and must commend both your choice of cars (I also have a 2007 GT500 and 2007GT/CS vert) but most of all your knowledge and efforts to share your knowledge on this site.

I hope more people appreciate your work and please keep it up.

Shelby3.jpg

Shelby3.jpg

Thanks Peter. Many have helped me, and it's nice to return a favor here and there. I can understand that some don't like certian colors or stripe combos or agree with how we store and protect our cars, but it is not right to bash another members car here.

I have seen a few Cars with this done. I just have one question.......... What happens 10 Years down the road when it starts cracking like the Big Birds on the Trans Am's do?

David.

They replace it for free.

• 2 weeks later...
Josh,

Mine is not that noticable. I would rather see the faint line than a bunch of rock chips. I use liquid ice by turtle wax. It leaves no white build up at all. I am very happy with my clear bra.

Photos of my Clear bra by venture shield:

th_ClearBracuringintheSun002.jpg

th_ClearBracuringintheSun003.jpg

th_ClearBracuringintheSun004.jpg

th_ClearBra2ndtime004.jpg

th_ClearBra2ndtime001.jpg

th_ClearBra2ndtime002.jpg

Here is a video of mine:

th_Sep052007-VID000011.jpg

And here is a video of how strong it is:

th_Oct062007-VID000012.jpg

Great info, Grabber! Your clear-bra looks great, and nice video footage too. Even though GO isn't what I would choose for myself, your GO w/ white stripes looks awesome! Some people just can't see past their own passions and prejudices. Or maybe it's just jealousy?

- Josh

Archived