TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Transmission/Clutch thread

LuckySnake

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like Rob said, it was over-moderated by my request.

Bill, I'm sorry you felt afraid to post. I never did see what you posted, but I can only assume that it didn't meet the criteria that I asked for, as it was deleted before I read it. I don't mean for that to sound antagonistic, so I apologize now if it comes across that way. I was looking for a collection of car owners' experiences that dealt specifically with the issue related to the clutch hanging/dragging. I was hoping to collect that data in one place, just in case some people at Ford who might be able to change the "company line" were looking to hear directly from owners, instead of from the service departments. The same service departments who likely only service 3 or 4 of these cars each. Not exactly a qualitative sampling from which to be able to "compare to like vehicle", let alone make decisions as to how common the problem is.

Moreover, I was looking for that information to follow the prescribed format, in order to keep a feeling of consistency. I wanted to collect facts, more than opinions.

In any event, I asked for the thread to be closed. Here is my last post:

It appears that only 12 of the who-knows-how-many GT500 owners here have had an issue.

I guess I was wrong. The problem isn't widespread.

Mods - feel free to lock or remove this thread.

Maybe I was a bit hasty, but I didn't feel there was enough anecdotal evidence to warrant the thread remaining open. It's still there for anyone from Ford to see, but it doesn't appear to be as big of an issue as I thought it was. I thought there would have been dozens of replies, not the mere 12 that have been posted in the last 2 months.

On the flip side, I still think the issue will impact a large percentage of the pre June '07 GT500s. I know I received PMs from far more than 12 unique individuals with the same symptoms that I had.

Hey, I tried. I tried to get the ball rolling to help everyone who currently has this issue, as well as those who will have it in the future. I probably killed my own chances for ever getting an upgraded tranny in my car, and will likely be stuck with the original that may or may not be damaged by the hanging/dragging clutch. I was told the tranny probably wasn't hurt, but that doesn't explain why it is now SOP to replace the tranny, or why the tranny has been modified by Tremec.

Just let me ask you this: Why didn't you post your information in the format that I requested? I know it wouldn't have been deleted then. Again, I'm not trying to be insulting, just curious.

I guess if there is enough interest and enough people willing to participate, we can have the thread re-opened. There just didn't seem to be enough interest to leave it active.

***EDIT: Typos - at least the ones I caught***

Like Rob said, it was over-moderated by my request.

Bill, I'm sorry you felt afraid to post. I never did see what you posted, but I can only assume that it didn't meet the criteria that I asked for, as it was deleted before I read it. I don't mean for that to sound antagonistic, so I apologize now if it comes across that way. I was looking for a collection of car owners' experiences that dealt specifically with the issue related to the clutch hanging/dragging. I was hoping to collect that data in one place, just in case some people at Ford who might be able to change the "company line" were looking to hear directly from owners, instead of from the service departments. The same service departments who likely only service 3 or 4 of these cars each. Not exactly a qualitative sampling from which to be able to "compare to like vehicle", let alone make decisions as to how common the problem is.

Moreover, I was looking for that information to follow the prescribed format, in order to keep a feeling of consistency. I wanted to collect facts, more than opinions.

In any event, I asked for the thread to be closed. Here is my last post:

Maybe I was a bit hasty, but I didn't feel there was enough anecdotal evidence to warrant the thread remaining open. It's still there for anyone from Ford to see, but it doesn't appear to be as big of an issue as I thought it was. I thought there would have been dozens of replies, not the mere 12 that have been posted in the last 2 months.

On the flip side, I still think the issue will impact a large percentage of the pre June '07 GT500s. I know I received PMs from far more than 12 unique individuals with the same symptoms that I had.

Hey, I tried. I tried to get the ball rolling to help everyone who currently has this issue, as well as those who will have it in the future. I probably killed my own chances for ever getting an upgraded tranny in my car, and will likely be stuck with the original that may or may not be damaged by the hanging/dragging clutch. I was told the tranny probably wasn't hurt, but that doesn't explain why it is now SOP to replace the tranny, or why the tranny has been modified by Tremec.

Just let me ask you this: Why didn't you post your information in the format that I requested? I know it wouldn't have been deleted then. Again, I'm not trying to be insulting, just curious.

I guess if there is enough interest and enough people willing to participate, we can have the thread re-opened. There just didn't seem to be enough interest to leave it active.

***EDIT: Typos - at least the ones I caught***

I would have had my tranny/clutch or either combination replaced just as you and several others have, had mine failed when yours did.

I'm confident Ford will be fair as possible. People are interested, and waiting to see how this plays out.

Orf, there is enough intrest, so since you said that if there is "we can have it opened back up", I am opening it back up. We all have bad days.

OPEN:

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...c=12946&hl=

Yes, it should remain open.

Some of us may not have issues YET, but may very well end up having these issues sooner or later.

I have read that these issues have been reported with 15K miles on the car. I only have 5K right now and it is tucked away for the winter.

It could be two - three years yet before I get 15K miles on it and this issue could surface any time between now and then.

I would assume as time goes by more and more people with end up with having these issues. So it needs to remain open and the thread should be tagged to remain at the top of the forum so it doesn't get buried from time to time.

I posted about my clutch problems on this site either here or elsewhere before with all the same info that you have asked for . When I first read this thread I thought it was only for those who already had work done on their car . Since I haven't had anything done yet and had already posted elsewhere about this subject I didn't post there.

I was also waiting for SVT to come up with an "official fix" with all the necessary parts needed and am still waiting. :waiting:

Purpose: The reason for this thread is to compile as much “real world” data about the clutch issue as possible. I’d like to get everyone who has had their car fixed under warranty to post the information regarding their experience in the format I have listed below. I will post my experience, following that format, at the end of this post. This could end up being a very important thread for every GT500 owner.

I see that you have edited you original post to include anyone who is having issues with their clutch and transmission.

***EDIT*** I would also like to hear from people who have issues similar to mine and the first few people who have posted in this thread. This will allow everyone to see how wide spread the problem really is.

I already spoke to my dealer about this and of course they knew nothing nor heard anything about this issue and figured it must be something I'm doing wrong to cause the problem. Since I'm not driving my car during the winter and I only have about 3500 miles on it anyway the problem isn't getting any worse right now. Plus I have been asked to not say too much until the correct parts are available and others on the "repair" list have had their cars fixed first.

I believe many people simply don't have enough miles on their cars yet for the problem to really show itself fully. If you really want as much info as possible why close the thread at all ? Ford hasn't even made any solution with parts available to us yet other than lube for the input shaft .Many of us are simply waiting .......... :waiting::waiting::waiting:

I have been luckey so far. 7800 miles and do not YET have the problem but fully realize that it could pop up at any time and likely WILL. I too am watching and waiting to see where this leads. Hopefully SVT and Ford will find the correct solution, issue a TSB or recall and fix all of them.

"It's still there for anyone from Ford to see, but it doesn't appear to be as big of an issue as I thought it was." That's a bit hard for me to swallow. I would have had my tranny/clutch or either combination replaced just as you and several others have, had mine failed when yours did. Don't know for sure why you are upset, for sure. Now I'm waiting patiently and have zero intentions of stirring the pot, but lets not BS each other. Sometimes things take awhile to play out, fact of life.

People are trying to get their cars fixed the best they can, just as you would. Getting upset because people are nervous about posting isn't fair. Getting upset because you didn't get a transmission that wasn't available when yours failed really won't help. I'm confident Ford will be fair as possible. I call it like I see it. If you set up a thread with specific rules, does that mean you can change them to your liking at any time? People are interested, and waiting to see how this plays out.

First, I wasn't upset, just disappointed that the thread had died. In fact, it never took off the way I initially thought it would based on the non-public discussions I was having prior to starting the thread. I started the thread for two main reasons, one of them is purely selfish.

I wanted my tranny replaced. Just because my car was an early fix, should I accept that my tranny is OK even though the trannys are now replaced with no questions asked once the hanging/dragging clutch has been verified? I figured showing that the problem is widespread might help in getting mine replaced. I've accepted that I won't get one, even though I don't agree with the outcome.

The other reason was to help everyone who might be subject to this manufacturing defect in the future. Don't let my sarcasm about not being as widespread as I thought mislead you. It is a manufacturing defect. Without being too specific, there was a step in the assembly process that was not performed, for whatever reason, prior to June '07. That oversight is what is responsible for the hanging/dragging clutch. That oversight warrants a recall, in my opinion. That thread was my attempt to make certain people at Ford realize that it should be a recall, too. Wouldn't you rather be able to bring your car in, when it's convenient to you, and have the fix performed before the car becomes difficult to drive, or completely un-drivable?

Further, wouldn't Ford rather repair a known manufacturing defect at a relatively low cost, rather than replacing relatively expensive clutches and transmissions on vehicles for the next 5 years? I would like to think so, but it doesn't look like they think that way. Like you, I would like to think that Ford will be as fair as possible. I guess my definition of "fair" doesn't agree with theirs. I guess my definition is skewed.

I know things take a while to play out, so please don't be condescending. I felt like went out on a limb to help everyone and didn't get the support thought I would. I know of at least twice as many cases from people on this site than were posted in 2 months. I thought most of them would share their experiences, but they didn't. Should I have taken that personally? No. Did I? Probably. So I was wrong to react the way I did. I don't want anyone to take that personally. Nobody was under any obligation to post. I feel bad that George felt he had to explain himself in a prior post. So I apologize to George for that. Nobody needs to defend themselves for not posting in that thread.

I know that the problem will show up in cars well into the future. Those that don't drive them much may not see it until their warranty has expired. All because of a know manufacturing defect. Call me old-fashioned, but that's just plain wrong.

I don't know what you meant by saying I changed the rules. If anything, people are upset because I stuck to the rule that the thread contain only facts pertaining to the problem at hand. I got the impression that the thread had died, so I asked that it be removed. I didn't want anything that I started to potentially be a problem for Robert, Sharon, or anyone at Team Shelby, even though they in no way endorse my opinion. They simply provide a forum for individuals to post what those individuals deem important. (Like they say on the radio: The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the staff or management ...)

Grabber has opened the thread again. I will leave it to the team of moderators to decide if and when the thread should be closed or removed. My car is now "fixed", so I no longer have a dog in the fight.

ORF's thread was OVER MODERATED!! At my request. There were plenty of clutch and transmission threads that got side-tracked. I wanted a facts only thread.

People got scared to post anything to it, for fear of just being changed around. The "facts only" posts were not changed in any way.

I have problems with my clutch, but didn't post there.

When I state my clutch problem it is viewed as minor and insignificant????? I don't think anyone ever said that. Maybe I missed it. Can you cite an example?

When my warranty runs out and my tranny is toast because the clutch was not disengaging and fried the inside of it who is going to pay the thousands of dollars to replace it?? My question exactly.

Ford knows there is a problem, why are we being so secretive about what is going on with it?? ibid

Something needs to be done, what are we really waiting for??

I know 2 other people with the hissing problem waiting to hear from me what to do, because the dealers are telling them it is normal.

Time for someone to step up to the plate and blow this out of the water. That's what I was trying to accomplish.

:waiting:

Will this thread be closed also??? I doubt it. Unless the person who started it can get a moderator to do so.

....and I don't want to hear any excuses. I'm sick of excuses. Me, too.

Okay, I'm done. :hysterical:So am I.

First, I wasn't upset, just disappointed that the thread had died. In fact, it never took off the way I initially thought it would based on the non-public discussions I was having prior to starting the thread. I started the thread for two main reasons, one of them is purely selfish.

I wanted my tranny replaced. Just because my car was an early fix, should I accept that my tranny is OK even though the trannys are now replaced with no questions asked once the hanging/dragging clutch has been verified? I figured showing that the problem is widespread might help in getting mine replaced. I've accepted that I won't get one, even though I don't agree with the outcome.

The other reason was to help everyone who might be subject to this manufacturing defect in the future. Don't let my sarcasm about not being as widespread as I thought mislead you. It is a manufacturing defect. Without being too specific, there was a step in the assembly process that was not performed, for whatever reason, prior to June '07. That oversight is what is responsible for the hanging/dragging clutch. That oversight warrants a recall, in my opinion. That thread was my attempt to make certain people at Ford realize that it should be a recall, too. Wouldn't you rather be able to bring your car in, when it's convenient to you, and have the fix performed before the car becomes difficult to drive, or completely un-drivable?

Further, wouldn't Ford rather repair a known manufacturing defect at a relatively low cost, rather than replacing relatively expensive clutches and transmissions on vehicles for the next 5 years? I would like to think so, but it doesn't look like they think that way. Like you, I would like to think that Ford will be as fair as possible. I guess my definition of "fair" doesn't agree with theirs. I guess my definition is skewed.

I know things take a while to play out, so please don't be condescending. I felt like went out on a limb to help everyone and didn't get the support thought I would. I know of at least twice as many cases from people on this site than were posted in 2 months. I thought most of them would share their experiences, but they didn't. Should I have taken that personally? No. Did I? Probably. So I was wrong to react the way I did. I don't want anyone to take that personally. Nobody was under any obligation to post. I feel bad that George felt he had to explain himself in a prior post. So I apologize to George for that. Nobody needs to defend themselves for not posting in that thread.

I know that the problem will show up in cars well into the future. Those that don't drive them much may not see it until their warranty has expired. All because of a know manufacturing defect. Call me old-fashioned, but that's just plain wrong.

I don't know what you meant by saying I changed the rules. If anything, people are upset because I stuck to the rule that the thread contain only facts pertaining to the problem at hand. I got the impression that the thread had died, so I asked that it be removed. I didn't want anything that I started to potentially be a problem for Robert, Sharon, or anyone at Team Shelby, even though they in no way endorse my opinion. They simply provide a forum for individuals to post what those individuals deem important. (Like they say on the radio: The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the staff or management ...)

Grabber has opened the thread again. I will leave it to the team of moderators to decide if and when the thread should be closed or removed. My car is now "fixed", so I no longer have a dog in the fight.

I can and do understand how you feel.

You stating the problem didn't seem to be as wide spread as you thought, come on now, you were just pissed.

That was sarcasm. I still believe the problem will be widespread. I can see how it will probably affect every car built before June, 2007. I don't understand how Ford can take the approach that they've taken.

Unlike LSR's experience, my car still has the bump - crunch - notchy feel when cold. It also has a little difficulty getting into 2nd sometimes. Not nearly as bad as before the clutch replaced, though. That's why I put fixed in quotation marks. More sarcasm. Maybe I'll start using a different color for my sarcastic remarks. It doesn't translate well online otherwise.

Orf,

This subject is especially important or at least should be to all 2007 Gt500 owners. Many of us have been waiting for Ford to get the proper parts available that are needed to effect the proper repairs.

Maybe it was a good thing that you brought this subject to the forefront again by wanting to close the thread it just made us realize that time is slipping by and Ford has not been forthcomming with the solution to this issue .

The problem is the longer this drags on the more damage will be done to our cars as we continue to drive them. Like you said better to fix it sooner rather than later the damage and the cost will be far less if caught in time.

Thanks for starting the "official thread" in the first place . I have finally posted my info there as well.

George.....

I have alittle bit of a dilemma,My car was built 6/06 but I only have 2200 miles on mine and it will soon go to SAI to get the 725 SS package. I have had no problem yet but I noticed most are having thier problems after 4,000 miles. I'm wondering after I get the SS upgrade if ford would blame any problems on the upgrade and not on production error? Should I get the tranny replaced befor the conversion? I don't think they will replace anything if they can't detect anything wrong. Is there any way to see if there is a problem via visual inspection or any other way?

I have alittle bit of a dilemma,My car was built 6/06 but I only have 2200 miles on mine and it will soon go to SAI to get the 725 SS package. I have had no problem yet but I noticed most are having thier problems after 4,000 miles. I'm wondering after I get the SS upgrade if ford would blame any problems on the upgrade and not on production error? Should I get the tranny replaced befor the conversion? I don't think they will replace anything if they can't detect anything wrong. Is there any way to see if there is a problem via visual inspection or any other way?

There is really no point in doing a visual inspection unless you or Ford is willing to pull the tranny and lube the shaft. We know all the earlier 07's didn't get lubed. I don't think Ford will replace your clutch/tranny if it hasn't failed or started to fail yet. I surely wouldn't skip a place in line for the SS package because your waiting for a transmission problem. I also think Ford will fix your clutch/transmission problem even if you have the SS 725, it has nothing to do with the problem.

... unless you or Ford is willing to pull the tranny and lube the shaft.

That's the point. You shouldn't have to do it on your own. Ford should be issuing a recall to have every car built before June 2007 in to have teflon grease applied to the tranny input shaft. If your clutch hasn't shown signs of hanging/dragging yet, that should greatly reduce the chance that it ever will. For the cost of replacing one clutch/tranny combo they can probably have 20 cars in to lube the tranny input shaft - which should have been done at the time of assembly!!! Once the clutch starts hanging/dragging, it's too late. Just think how much they could have saved in clutches and trannys so far if they had implemented the recall last June.

Sorry. This whole thing has gotten under my skin.

That's the point. You shouldn't have to do it on your own. Ford should be issuing a recall to have every car built before June 2007 in to have teflon grease applied to the tranny input shaft. If your clutch hasn't shown signs of hanging/dragging yet, that should greatly reduce the chance that it ever will. For the cost of replacing one clutch/tranny combo they can probably have 20 cars in to lube the tranny input shaft - which should have been done at the time of assembly!!! Once the clutch starts hanging/dragging, it's too late. Just think how much they could have saved in clutches and trannys so far if they had implemented the recall last June.

Sorry. This whole thing has gotten under my skin.

+1.

I noticed in the other trans and clutch thread that several of you have trans, clutch on order. How did you get the dealer to order this? Do you have an in with someone? I have taken my to one dealer and they said they could not duplicate it (or don't know what to look for) I talked to a service manager at another dealer that my buddy works at today and he said he would look into it. He was not aware of any problem either but said he would go on the test drive with me driving it, hopefully I can duplicate the problems. He said if there is a problem that superceded part#'s would apply but how do you make replace the tranny as well? Thanks for your help

That's the point. You shouldn't have to do it on your own.

I gave my my local service mngr (and friend) the service code about applying the grease to the input shaft and asked how much to do this service. He went and talked to the SVT tech and came back with $300. Sounded cheap to me.?

I hate to have to shell it out but I drive mine everyday and I only have the numb grind when its cold out and I think my clutch is releasing ok but with the bare metal on metal where the lube should have been applied sounds like disaster is eminent. I just hate to wait around and do more damage to the Trans.

Anyone had this service done? I know someone did on this site.

Why the corrosion on the input shaft? Whats causing that? I know the metal has alot to do with it but is it like rust or some kinda friction related corrosion?

does anyone know what a Tremec 6 Speed costs??

I don't think I want to know :drop: I would like to get a handle on this before the whipple goes on, even though this does not have anything to do with upgraded power. I don't want to give Ford any loop holes they can squeeze out of.

06ragtop,

GT500Tow is the member that had his shaft lubed. They cleaned it up, and polished it a little. They must of used emry cloth. I am not sure. He would let you know. I know that Ford had his dealer do that work.

Just a thought...

...for those who are confident they have the problem (long spin-down time when clutch depressed, hard to engage 1st/rev from neutral, missed/notchy 1->2 and 2->3 shifts, etc) ALL should go to the dealer, imo, and have the problem written-up (documented) on a service form. That's the essential first step.

...for those who have done this and have been 'stuffed' (told no prob found, normal, etc) and who disagree, I strongly suggest you go back to the dealer again and re-assert the issue to the service manager. If s/he won't listen or the answer is the same, politely DEMAND the name and number of the region rep -- the dealer will give you that information if you demand it.

Next steps: contact the region rep and and explain the problem. Request a meeting with region rep (this may take a couple of weeks or more depending on your location, etc.) at the dealership location, preferably with the service manager present. Summarize the result of that meeting, IN WRITING, to the service manager and region rep noting whether the outcome of the meeting was not satisfactory (if so). Usually this will resolve the problem, but...

If genuinely dissatisfied with the outcome, prepare a crisp, business-like, non-emotional letter/e-mail stating 1) the complaint (be factual and crisp), 2) the meetings you have with the dealer and region rep (include date & location), 3) the outcome with the dealer/region rep (their position and why it's unacceptable), 4) specifically what action you want Ford to take to resolve your complaint, 5) it doesn't hurt to express how long you've been a die-hard Ford owner/fan and if/why this situation is tarnishing that relationship ...be brief 6) be sure to include your full name, mailing address, your contact phone number. Edit your letter so it fits on ONE keystroked page, if possible... then...

...e-mail or snail-mail the above letter to the President of Ford's Customer Service Division. I will not post his contact information here, but after you've had the above meetings with dealer AND REGION, say so in this thread and I'll PM you the contact info.

It will take effort on your part and there's no guarantee, but I have literally never seen this approach fail to resolve a legitimate problem (several specific situations over the past 6 years). Ford is not in the business of pissing customers off by ignoring legitimate complaints -- unfortunately, it sometimes takes due-diligence effort to get it resolved when the 'process' coughs up a hairball for whatever reason.

Dan

Try driving an '08 GT500. :banghead:

I have and did ...both of our 08 allocations. Drove our first sale to a stangs unleashed member to the trucking co who was hauling it to canada.

Thats the first thing I noticed. This car shifted really nice and the peddle effort was night and day different than my 07 with now .... 12200 miles on it

Here is my take on the clutch/tranny problem. We finally got our first complaint up here, hard to put in 1st/2nd at times. My advisor asked me to drive it, I told him there is a ssm on this condition, he said oasis found nothing. Advisor drove again and verified hard to get into get when running. This time he emailed hotline assistance, they told him what ssm it was. Hotline said replace clutch and lube splines per ssm.

Here is the fun part, hotline called back like 30 minutes later, they told him to replace clutch, flywheel and also the tranny assembly since it was a early build 07. Basically hotline approved replacing everything but the bolts. Ford knows there is a problem, you just have to have your advisor or tech working on the car to go through hotline assistance to get any info out of them.

Sorry. This is long, but better than replying to each one individually.

I noticed in the other trans and clutch thread that several of you have trans, clutch on order. How did you get the dealer to order this? Do you have an in with someone? I have taken my to one dealer and they said they could not duplicate it (or don't know what to look for) I talked to a service manager at another dealer that my buddy works at today and he said he would look into it. He was not aware of any problem either but said he would go on the test drive with me driving it, hopefully I can duplicate the problems. He said if there is a problem that superceded part#'s would apply but how do you make replace the tranny as well? Thanks for your help

There are good people at Ford who are stepping up to the plate for GT500 owners. Generally, one of them has to sign off on the new parts. From what I've heard, once the dealership confirms the issue, they will either give the ok over the phone, via fax, or send an engineer out to inspect the car. The critical thing is getting the dealership to confirm the problem. The dealership probably knows far less about this issue than you do, so don't let them tell you they can't find anything wrong.

Someone in the service department needs to call SVT and ask specifically for the procedure to determine if the clutch is hanging/dragging in a GT500. SVT should then explain to the service department how to perform the procedure similar to what we have referred to as "The Grabber Clutch Test". Basically, the clutch should hiss slightly while the clutch pedal is being depressed, and more so during the return travel. It should not hiss for 2 to 3 seconds while the clutch pedal is fully depressed. Once the service department confirms the clutch is affected, that should start the ball rolling for the ordering of parts, and you get your spot in line for replacement. No telling how long the wait could be.

Oh, and don't ask me how to make sure the tranny is replaced, as I obviously couln't get tha for my car.

I gave my my local service mngr (and friend) the service code about applying the grease to the input shaft and asked how much to do this service. He went and talked to the SVT tech and came back with $300. Sounded cheap to me.?

Especially compared to $10,000 + for a new clutch, tranny, and flywheel. I wonder why Ford can't do that simple math?

I hate to have to shell it out but I drive mine everyday and I only have the numb grind when its cold out and I think my clutch is releasing ok but with the bare metal on metal where the lube should have been applied sounds like disaster is eminent. I just hate to wait around and do more damage to the Trans.

Anyone had this service done? I know someone did on this site.

That was me, and probably a few others. I did get a new clutch, though. The process isn't quite as easy as the service manual implies. The steps "unbolt bell housing" and "remove transmission" sound like a 5 minute procedure. We had to remove the tower brace, so we could use a floor jack to push on the bottom of the front of the engine, so the engine would tilt the clutch and tranny, to give enough clearance for the tranny to be inclined at 45 degrees to the floor, so that the tranny could be removed without cutting out the floor pan. The service manual allows, I think, an hour for the disassembly, lube, and reassembly. The Master Tech that worked on mine needed 4 hours. He's good. I was there watching the whole thing. He didn't milk the job at all. Count on at least 4 hours for the job.

Why the corrosion on the input shaft? Whats causing that? I know the metal has alot to do with it but is it like rust or some kinda friction related corrosion?

This is just my (under) educated guess. The clutch plates are cerametallic. I think the cerametallic dust may be corrosive to the input shaft and clutch hub when combined with moisture. That corrosion causes the hub to hang and/or drag on the input shaft. The teflon grease lubricates the surfaces and prevents corrosion.

I have been discussing the GT500 clutch issues w/ my dealer since the middle of last summer. I explain the noises and the feel of the clutch hanging up, but they don't have a clue what to do unless Ford tells them something.

Ask the service manager to call SVT, like I explained above. PM me if that doesn't work.

"enhanced shift system, reduced friction" :banghead:

That's inside the tranny. That has nothing to do with this issue. The friction I'm talking about is between the clutch hub and the tranny input shaft. That's a Ford issue, not a Tremec issue. Now the updated tranny that we know is now available addresses other issues. (synchros, perhaps?)

Just a thought...

I won't pretend to be able to add anything to Dan's post. It is worth reading and printing out, if necessary.

Here is the fun part, hotline called back like 30 minutes later, they told him to replace clutch, flywheel and also the tranny assembly since it was a early build 07.

:banghead::banghead::banghead: And I only got a clutch. They are replacing the flywheel and tranny because damage is being done. I'm convinced of it.

Archived