TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Second Aprilfest in NC

Orf

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ouch!

Okay - back to the think tank.

There's an 1/8 mile dragstrip (concrete) in Creswell (maybe an hour west of Nag's Head on 264. Should I look into renting the track on Saturday and doing some grudge racing?

Christine has an idea for our October gathering.

She thinks it might be more relaxing for us to find a hotel with a few more amenitites (like a lounge with music). Then, instead of planning a long day on Sat to some attraction, just play it loose and easy. Friday night - a cruise out for dinner - then back to the hotel for music and conversation. Sat - a buffet breakfast - then a cruise out for a late lunch. Then back to the hotel to regroup. For dinner - cruise to a good place - then back for some music - or beachfront chats. In other words, cut back on the driving up and down Route 12 and spend more time together and eating!! :happy feet:

• 3 weeks later...

Good idea. I thought about that. But even a 7 bed house can only handle 7 cars. We might have 20. And - with a house, you either have to cook or eat all your meals out.

Matt and I are going to sit down here on Wed and hammer out the itinerary. We're both thinking less driving this time and more time to socialize. And more opportunities for wives to do a little shopping/browsing.

I'm still researching resorts/hotels. But we'll have dates and activities posted this week.

I'm thinking about contacting a professional photographer I know on the OBX and asking what he'd charge to shoot our cars individually. He's very good. We could proably get a good rate with so many cars. He would just have to choose the location. I know I'd like a few great shots of my car!

Thoughts, everyone? :happy feet:

Good idea. I thought about that. But even a 7 bed house can only handle 7 cars. We might have 20. And - with a house, you either have to cook or eat all your meals out.

Matt and I are going to sit down here on Wed and hammer out the itinerary. We're both thinking less driving this time and more time to socialize. And more opportunities for wives to do a little shopping/browsing.

I'm still researching resorts/hotels. But we'll have dates and activities posted this week.

I'm thinking about contacting a professional photographer I know on the OBX and asking what he'd charge to shoot our cars individually. He's very good. We could proably get a good rate with so many cars. He would just have to choose the location. I know I'd like a few great shots of my car!

Thoughts, everyone? :happy feet:

It's hard to beat the Hilton for convenience and updated ammenities. I think go cart racing at the slick track would be cool.

I'm liking the idea og go-kart racing. It could get real fun.

Personally I don't mind the amount of driving we have done in the past. I bought the car to drive it!

We need to make this get together a good one as I will most likely miss both the Apr and Oct meetings next year due to working in the big sandbox.

I'm liking the idea og go-kart racing. It could get real fun.

Personally I don't mind the amount of driving we have done in the past. I bought the car to drive it!

We need to make this get together a good one as I will most likely miss both the Apr and Oct meetings next year due to working in the big sandbox.

Not to worry. We'll schedule plenty of driving time. We're thinking about a sunrise run down Rt. 12 on Sat morning before the tourists awaken. Just get in the cars at dawn and drive - no 1 hour chit chat in the parking lot! The girls can sleep in if they choose. Then back to the hotel for brunch.

We'll do our best to give you some moments to remember while you're over there getting the bad guys for us!

So far, we'll have at least 3 new members joining up with us this Oct. And some Chrome Pony folks.

If MM learns that the kart track is open, perhaps we can do that Sat afternoon.

Saturday morning, we can cruise down to Manteo (where we did the photo shoot by the stage last Oct) and do some walking downtown by the waterfront - then back over the causeway to Sam & Omie for lunch. Back up to the hotel - freshen up and hit the kart track!

Dinner on Friday at Basnight's of course! Maybe the Black Pelican on Saturday?

Thoughts?

Here's the link to the photographer I know out there. I asked him for a quote on shooting our cars.

http://www.raymatthews.com/

Manteo:

http://www.manteo.govoffice.com/index.asp?...3-AAA878CE9FDA}

What's wrong w/ this picture....

I bought an overpriced Mustang.

Taking it out of town to meet others w/ overpriced Mustangs.

We go go-karting. :banghead:

:lurk:

Yeah!!

If you wanted to go go-karting, you'd just drive this!

Minisnoop.jpg

$2k a night? :hysterical:

No, about $700/night for two. When Jan was their "Textile Arts Exhibitor" (quilt-maker) we'd occasionally get free stays/meals. It's just a one of a kind place. Bulit by the Smiley brothers in the 1800s ..you may know the face of Albert Smiley -- it's on every container of Quaker Oats! I've spent many a day in years gone by exploring it's adjoining 10,000 acre Mohonk preserve ...and the secrets of it's unbelievable architecture. ;-)

What a fun guy you are! :finger:

We gather not just for the cars - but for the friendship. :happy feet:

No, about $700/night for two. When Jan was their "Textile Arts Exhibitor" (quilt-maker) we'd occasionally get free stays/meals. It's just a one of a kind place. Bulit by the Smiley brothers in the 1800s ..you may know the face of Albert Smiley -- it's on every container of Quaker Oats! I've spent many a day in years gone by exploring it's adjoining 10,000 acre Mohonk preserve ...and the secrets of it's unbelievable architecture. ;-)

I have no doubt about the bang for the buck up there! If we lived closer, we'd try an overnight stay!

Any chance I can persuade you to make our Oct gathering? Pretty please? :baby:

Snoop - Go-karting is the only way we can think of that lets you drive the way you like to without getting another ticket for failure to launch properly

Archived