TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Second Aprilfest in NC

Orf

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3? You MUST be a hustler. I'll use a house cue. I'm not that good. :shades:

By the way, what's your favorite game? I think they have one called Nine Ball.

No, I am not a hustler. When I was given the family pool table, I got my personal cue as well as those of my mom and dad, hence three cue sticks.

I have always been patial to 8-ball.

I think people bet money on the 5 ball and 9 ball.

Technology has no place on the green felt.

5 & 9? :shrug:

Well, it's all relative... a lot of technology goes into making standard cues now too. But I agree on the laser -- it removes part of the true art of the game, imo, that should be done by-eye.

I was pretty good on a regulation table, but much better than most on a 'bar' table. When I was 17-18 I was going out with this gal. We used to hang at the Marine Bar in Astoria. Carol had a natural aptitude and great eye! Back in Astoria, we'd play doubles 8-ball. Can't recall us losing the table more than a few times ...a year! ;) Wonder where Carol is now? <lol>

Started playing with my dad when I was 8 or so (on the old Brunswicks with braided pockets) ...smoke-filled hall at the end of the Ditmars subway line in Astoria... just down from Leonard's Pizza (.10/slice back then -- just like the subway) ...back when it was safe to take a kid into a pool hall and you'd thrown out for fowl language ...no food or drink permitted anywhere near the tables either. Amazing how it was not that hard to enforce back then. The owner would would physically throw out anyone who was a problem ...and his regulars would help if he needed it -- somehow it worked. ;-)

Haven't played but few times in the past 20 years, so I'm probably pretty bad now :spiteful: ..really. :P

Nine ball:

Rack up the balls 1 through 9.

Break.

The balls need to be pocketed sequentially. Or at least one needs to hit the ball in sequence first - then what ever happens is legal.

The "money" balls are the 5 & 9. Usually the bets are doubled for the 9. Ex: $5 on the 5 ball and $10 on the 9.

Whoever pockets the 9 wins.

So I've heard.

Eight ball is usually a bar game with a coin operated table.

Straight pool is the real money game in pool halls.

Hey guys just got off the phone with the Hilton .......they don't have a pool table any longer , something about gambling being bad for the image they want to project . :shrug:

Got ya!tongue.gif

Hey guys just got off the phone with the Hilton .......they don't have a pool table any longer , something about gambling being bad for the image they want to project . :shrug:

Got ya!

There are plenty of establishments on the OB for Pool. Avalon Pier at Milepost 5 comes to mind as well as quite a few bars.

Nine ball:

Rack up the balls 1 through 9.

Break.

The balls need to be pocketed sequentially. Or at least one needs to hit the ball in sequence first - then what ever happens is legal.

The "money" balls are the 5 & 9. Usually the bets are doubled for the 9. Ex: $5 on the 5 ball and $10 on the 9.

Whoever pockets the 9 wins.

So I've heard.

Eight ball is usually a bar game with a coin operated table.

Straight pool is the real money game in pool halls.

Ah, i just didn't know what was special about the 5 & 9. I've never bet on a game -- or on anything else that I can recall (really!) ...tho some have bet on me. Even when we go to Vegas I never gamble ...not even slots. :shrug: I guess that's how I was brought up. Which leads me to a story...

Used to bowl too at La Guardia Lanes as a kid. Lou Campi was a big name then and he came to La Guardia lanes one Sunday afternoonfor a show & tell promo. He was very big back then. Somehow my uncle, who knew the owner, finagled that I would bowl with Campi I think I was 11 -- what an honor! I had no idea my uncle Dan (my namesake) was betting big money on me. Apparently he did that a lot. I didn't find out until I was much older.

Anyhow, Campi starts showing some pointers as a warm-up. But ...I had an unfair advantage :spiteful: see, I'd help them unload the beer truck (La Guardia had a 'lounge') every Sunday morning -- after going to Mass at St. Francis -- and then they'd let me and a few other 'older' kids shadow-bowl across as many lanes as we wanted (usually 4) for an hour or two until they opened at noon. So I knew the lanes like the back of my hand. I bowled lefty off the left foot (unstable but it worked for me) and had several 300 games that way.

So, Lou Campi comes to town for the promo and my uncle tells me 15 minutes beforehand that I'm going to bowl with him! Didn't phase me a bit -- I was so happy to be able to bowl with him! Now, Lou Campi bowled righty off the right foot -- the opposite of me. Long story short, he bowled a 256 on his firt game and it went down to the last frame. I bowled a 278 (I still have the trophy -- yup, packed up in the basement) -- I didn't even know there was a trophy to be had -- I was just bowling the best I could for the fun of it! I found out later that Campi apparently felt he was 'set-up' by the promoter and left without bowling the second game. But he was nice enough to take me aside in the lounge before he left and tell me I should not make the same mistake he did -- I should switch to bowl righty off the left foot if I wanted to turn pro when I got older which he encouraged me to do. My uncle Dan apparently cleaned up that day -- he was a mail-carrier but gave me a gold tie-tack with a diamond in the middle a few weeks later for beating Campi. What did I know -- I was 11! :doh:

Anyway, I took Lou's sage advice and switched. It was a painfull process and no matter how hard I tried for several years I could never get my A-game back together. Had my "Manhattan Rubber" ball plugged and redrilled for righty, then righty-fingertip (a fairly new technique then). What a mistake! I bowled on a couple local teams in high school for a few years but could never get my average much over 160 with rare 600 3-sets. My just kept deteriorating. I gave up bowling when I was 16 or so and have only bowled a few times since ...just for yuks (pretty bad too!).

.Lesson learned: don't listen to anyone when you have a 248 average at 11 years old and roll occasional 300s! :doh: What the :censored: was I thinking?! I guess you live and learn.

< This commercial diversion brough to you by Ruf's Rib Rubs and Greg's Cue Shack :hysterical: >

Great story! I can see the context.

When I was about 13 - I used to hang out at an alley. I'd sweep down the lanes during league play. They'd let me bowl during off times. I saw some money games - but was never very good. At bowling. :superhero:

Was life great back then or what?!! :)

You could walk or bike anywhere as a kid and no one would ever hassel you.

There seemed to be almost NO weirdos.

The cop on the beat knew every neighborhood kid by name and where he lived -- and he was your friend.

Friend of mine (the fellow in stage-4 liver failure) is a musician and songwriter. One of his tunes is named: "Take me back to 1964" I'd settle for '68. ;)

Its amazing how many people who play pool also bowl. When my parents bought our pool table when I was a kid, we lived across the street from a bowling alley. I bowled up to five nights a week on six leagues at one point during high school. I learned from my parents as my Mom was a certified coach. After I started bowling in junior leagues I bowled in a Pro-Am in Alameda,CA and was paired with Dick Weber, who was a big name in the day back then. I actually beat him the first game!

I pretty much quit bowling when I joined the Army. But to that point my best game was 289 and 3 game series was 758. I haven't bowled in years, but I do believe that bowling, billiards, and darts make up the indoor triathalon. The indoor triathalon is composed of games that can be played, and played better, while drinking.

I haven't bowled in years, but I do believe that bowling, billiards, and darts make up the indoor triathalon. The indoor triathalon is composed of games that can be played, and played better, while drinking.

I bowled some, but was never any good. I paid a couple of Penn State tuition bills, thanks to barroom 8 ball. I took 3rd in the PA state Cricket tournament in the late 80's.

Maybe I just didn't drink enough while bowling. :shrug:

Archived