TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT-H Spotted on the road today!!

I know this probably isn't breaking news...but today I spotted a Shelby GT-H traveling north on the 405 Fwy in So Cal. The car had CA license plates and was sporting a very nice stance! Can anyone confirm if these cars are now able to be rented? if not, whatta you suppose it was doing in these parts? I tried to catch it in my F250 SD P/U to snap a photo w/my cellphone camera but the traffic was too unforgiving...you know how it is in Los Angeles @ rush hour...

I know this probably isn't breaking news...but today I spotted a Shelby GT-H traveling north on the 405 Fwy in So Cal. The car had CA license plates and was sporting a very nice stance! Can anyone confirm if these cars are now able to be rented? if not, whatta you suppose it was doing in these parts? I tried to catch it in my F250 SD P/U to snap a photo w/my cellphone camera but the traffic was too unforgiving...you know how it is in Los Angeles @ rush hour...

HOLY CRAP I THINK THAT WAS ME! I MUST HAVE JUST LEFT LAX AND WAS HEADING NORTH ON THE 4 OR 5 HOUR WHEN YOU SPOTTED ME! WHAT A TRIP! I USED TO WORK AT HERTZ, AND MY FRIEND WHO IS STILL THERE LET ME TAKE ONE OUT FOR A DAY OR SO. I'M ACTUALLY GOING TO TAKE OFF IN A FEW AND TAKE IT BACK TO THEM! IT'S DEFINATELY A NICE CAR, IT'S NOT A 500, BUT IT'S STILL A NICE CAR. BUT I'M DEFINATELY GOING TO CHANGE THE LETTERING ON THE BACK OF MY 500 FROM SHELBY TO S H E L B Y. THE LOGO LOOKS MUCH NICER (AND MORE RETRO) SPREAD OUT RATHER THAN BUNCHED UP.

And yes, they are availabe to rent now, but only out of the LAX location. But I recommend that you make a reservation for one, and not through the 800 call center either. Make your res directly through the LAX location and be sure to note the person's name that is locking it down for you.

VERY COOL! Have fun!

HOLY CRAP I THINK THAT WAS ME! I MUST HAVE JUST LEFT LAX AND WAS HEADING NORTH ON THE 4 OR 5 HOUR WHEN YOU SPOTTED ME! WHAT A TRIP! I USED TO WORK AT HERTZ, AND MY FRIEND WHO IS STILL THERE LET ME TAKE ONE OUT FOR A DAY OR SO. I'M ACTUALLY GOING TO TAKE OFF IN A FEW AND TAKE IT BACK TO THEM! IT'S DEFINATELY A NICE CAR, IT'S NOT A 500, BUT IT'S STILL A NICE CAR. BUT I'M DEFINATELY GOING TO CHANGE THE LETTERING ON THE BACK OF MY 500 FROM SHELBY TO S H E L B Y. THE LOGO LOOKS MUCH NICER (AND MORE RETRO) SPREAD OUT RATHER THAN BUNCHED UP.

And yes, they are availabe to rent now, but only out of the LAX location. But I recommend that you make a reservation for one, and not through the 800 call center either. Make your res directly through the LAX location and be sure to note the person's name that is locking it down for you.

VERY COOL! Have fun!

Hi Son of GT...WOW! Small World Huh...it was around 4:30-5'ish near Airport Marina Ford/Culver City...All that, and I see your an early Bronco owner too...I have a 1970 & 77 Broncos. Take care and thanks for the rental tips!

Hi Son of GT...WOW! Small World Huh...it was around 4:30-5'ish near Airport Marina Ford/Culver City...All that, and I see your an early Bronco owner too...I have a 1970 & 77 Broncos. Take care and thanks for the rental tips!

Yep, that was me all right. Wow, you're right, it is a dinky world! I was driving the Black one with Gold stripes. :hysterical2: You are very welcome for the rental tips, and it's always great to meet another Bronco (it's a Bronco, NOT a Jeep) lover! I'm sure that we will have a few opportunities to run into each other at the local car shows this Summer. Be sure to block out some time in September for the Saleen show down in Lake Forrest. You can get the date and sign up now at Saleen's website if you're interested. I figure that by then (especally after looking at Kaylan's map) we very well may be the only two Shelby's at that particular show, which would definately draw a small crowd around the cars. Of course it goes without saying that next April's Fab. Ford Forever show at Knott's will be a blast with all of the new the Shelby's gathering there too.

See ya around the Campus!

Note: Don't you just love the 4 or 5 hour freeway? OMG, it's so fun to drive during rush hour which seems to last 24 hours a day now days.

That's nice, but thanks to Hertz it hurts to try to rent one. They will not let you rent one unless you have proof of an arriving flight to the CITY that has the cars available and a drivers license with a NON local address. In other words, someone who lives in southern California cannot rent one in southern California. I am officially beginning my campaign to get everyone to boycott Hertz forever until it hurts them financially. I'm just a guy that wants to have the same experience that my parents or grandparents could have had in the 60s.

For the executives at Hertz, get a clue, you're charging $150 day and whatever mileage fees. You would make money on these vehicles if the public could actually rent them. Also, you'll likely be able to sell them for more than you bought them for. If you're going to be so anal, why bother? After the airline tickets, a few tanks of gas and rental fees, I could pay for all the H mods on MY mustang. But, I still would have given you $500 of my hard earned money for the experience.

Fellow Mustangers, join me in boycotting this garbage can of a company until the executives who created this asinine policy are excommunicated by the shareholders!

That's nice, but thanks to Hertz it hurts to try to rent one. They will not let you rent one unless you have proof of an arriving flight to the CITY that has the cars available and a drivers license with a NON local address. In other words, someone who lives in southern California cannot rent one in southern California. I am officially beginning my campaign to get everyone to boycott Hertz forever until it hurts them financially. I'm just a guy that wants to have the same experience that my parents or grandparents could have had in the 60s.

For the executives at Hertz, get a clue, you're charging $150 day and whatever mileage fees. You would make money on these vehicles if the public could actually rent them. Also, you'll likely be able to sell them for more than you bought them for. If you're going to be so anal, why bother? After the airline tickets, a few tanks of gas and rental fees, I could pay for all the H mods on MY mustang. But, I still would have given you $500 of my hard earned money for the experience.

Fellow Mustangers, join me in boycotting this garbage can of a company until the executives who created this asinine policy are excommunicated by the shareholders!

Son of GT...Please tell me this rental policy that acuneer speaks of, just ain't true...?? Thanks

Son of GT...Please tell me this rental policy that acuneer speaks of, just ain't true...?? Thanks

I did not hear this, but you can bet your ass I will find out tomorrow (Thursday). Stay tuned.

SOGT

Sorry for the delay in this response, but my friend at Hertz was unavailable yesterday. As far as as the Los Angeles International Airport location is concerned, there is no policy that states only a out of towner can only rent a Shelby. But each region or location can set their own rental restrictions as they see necessary, as long as it is not discriminate. So it's possible that your Airport location does have that restriction placed on the Shelby's. But I recommend that you contact the rental location directly, and don't use the 800 reservation number. Ask to speak to the Manager that's on duty, he or she has the power to rent any car they want to anyone.

Hope this helps, and good luck. The L.A. Airport location told me that their Shelby's are already booked out for almost everyday this Summer.

Sorry for the delay in this response, but my friend at Hertz was unavailable yesterday. As far as as the Los Angeles International Airport location is concerned, there is no policy that states only a out of towner can only rent a Shelby. But each region or location can set their own rental restrictions as they see necessary, as long as it is not discriminate. So it's possible that your Airport location does have that restriction placed on the Shelby's. But I recommend that you contact the rental location directly, and don't use the 800 reservation number. Ask to speak to the Manager that's on duty, he or she has the power to rent any car they want to anyone.

Hope this helps, and good luck. The L.A. Airport location told me that their Shelby's are already booked out for almost everyday this Summer.

Thanks Son of GT...the locations that would not rent to locals were the San Diego and Orange County branches :fan:

Thanks Son of GT...the locations that would not rent to locals were the San Diego and Orange County branches :fan:

You are welcome, and I'm glad that I could help!

Guest evilchris

You can now in San Diego. I just rented one June 9th - June 19th as a San Diego local. $2582 with LDW, rofl. Drove it 3,000 miles, all throughout California. Sequoia National Park, Tahoe, Death Valley, everywhere. Some pics:

http://www.evilchris.net/images/shel1.JPG

http://www.evilchris.net/images/shel2.JPG

http://www.evilchris.net/images/shel3.JPG

http://www.evilchris.net/images/shel4.JPG

http://www.evilchris.net/images/shel5.JPG

At first they told me no locals, but after arguing they called the senior management and were informed the new policy is:

if you bring a utility bill in your name that matches the address on your driver license, they'll rent to a local. Car was a blast.

Guest evilchris

$2582 with LDW, rofl.

What does this mean?

LDW is loss damage waiver, which means if I drove the car into a brick wall I wouldn't be responsible for it. Since they are being very anal with this car and I knew I'd put a ton of miles on it, I chose to pay the extra $35.99 a day for it. In the end, as usual, I didn't need it.

rofl means rolling on the floor laughing, which I did because I'm crazy to have spent $2500 for an 11 day rental, but you only live once.

Guest evilchris

heck, for $2500, Ill let you rent my 03 Cobra with 455+ RWHP and a 3500 watt stereo system in it for a month :doh:

I've got a 331 92' fox with more power =) I was after the awesome ride of the s197 with the "cool factor" of the GT-H!

Terminators are awesome though!

Saw a GT350H yesterday around the Seattle area. Looked great!!! Wish I had brought my camera with me so I could have shared the moment with everyone. Seattle rents for $199.00 a day. A little pricey for me.

Thanks to evilchris below for the tip...Hertz in SD is now forgiven...I have one in my driveway right now. The free 75 miles are already used up...it's gonna be like pacman from now on...quarters at a time. By the way, the traction control disable has been disabled at least in mine, so shenanigans when turning are curtailed, not that I would try mind you... :shift:

Guest evilchris

Thanks to evilchris below for the tip...Hertz in SD is now forgiven...I have one in my driveway right now. The free 75 miles are already used up...it's gonna be like pacman from now on...quarters at a time. By the way, the traction control disable has been disabled at least in mine, so shenanigans when turning are curtailed, not that I would try mind you... :shift:

Another tip:

Reserve some other car in advance, with unlimited miles. Go in and "upgrade" to the Shelby. The unlimited miles will stick. I put like 2000 miles on #85 this way over 11 days =)

• 1 month later...

Archived