TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Boomerang tracking device

In '01 a Lojack went for about a grand (installed). They would not disclose where they install it. I suspect it hooks to 12V since it has to 'listen' and actively transmit when 'tickled' but I could not detect any modifications and could not find it either on a lift or by looking under the dash with a mirror. I guess if it was easy to locate, a thief would just remove it before you noticed it was gone, but I have no clue where they hide it. I bet the police know, but I would not want to be the person trying to get that info from them ;-)

In '01 a Lojack went for about a grand (installed). They would not disclose where they install it. I suspect it hooks to 12V since it has to 'listen' and actively transmit when 'tickled' but I could not detect any modifications and could not find it either on a lift or by looking under the dash with a mirror. I guess if it was easy to locate, a thief would just remove it before you noticed it was gone, but I have no clue where they hide it. I bet the police know, but I would not want to be the person trying to get that info from them ;-)

I asked about it last nite at the dealer and he said they do not tell you where they install them and it is different spot on every car. It does connect to the 12 volts but has battery back up if the wires are cut.

I asked about it last nite at the dealer and he said they do not tell you where they install them and it is different spot on every car. It does connect to the 12 volts but has battery back up if the wires are cut.

Anyone know the going price for Lojack these days? Who installs other than the original sales dealer. I am buying the car out of town and would rather use a local dealer in Houston for the Lojack.

Be aware that Lojack doesn't work everywhere. It covers most major metropolitan areas and high crime rate areas, but you might want to check if your area has coverage. Lojack needs to be activated after your car is stolen. Basically you need to call the company with a police report number in hand. They then send out a signal that activates the unit. Once activated, the unit emits a signal that is picked up by receivers installed in local police cars. Not all cars around the country have this equipment.

There are no decal or marking anywhere on the car, and the unit is very small, about the size of a deck of cards. You are instructed not to leave any documentation in the car that might tip off a thief that the car is Lojack equipped. The unit is installed in a place known only to the installer. The idea is that the thief wouldn't know the car was Lojack equipped, and if he did he'd have a tough time finding it.

You can check coverage areas here. The list is not very specific for reasons which should be obvious, but it should give you an idea of where coverage may not exist.

http://www.lojack.com/where/lojack-coverage-areas.cfm

Archived