TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Help Needed - Trailer Size

Joemat

What is the minimum length car trailer I would need to trailer my GT500? I have looked at the Featherlight 3110 series and they make a 14' and 17.5' model. I think on the 14' the bumber would hang over the rear of the trailer about 16 inches - probably not wise. The 17 footer would be better but a harder sell to the wife (bigger eye sore on the property!! :banghead: ). Any suggestions on what others have used. The Featherlights are a bit pricey, but very nice (light).

Thanks

Mine is a 17 ft'er. I wouldn't buy too small for a few reasons.........even though 14 may be enough(as long as the wheelbase is on), the longer is better. It allows you to move the car back or forth to better balance the tongue for better highway (driving/balance the load), 2nd) Are you comfortable with the car hanging out alot........what if someone hits the back end? if longer, they'll hit the trailer. 3rd) if too short, and the front end hanging over the tongue, you need to be careful it doesn't hit the tow vehicle when turning R or Left.

Mine is a 17 ft'er. I wouldn't buy too small for a few reasons.........even though 14 may be enough(as long as the wheelbase is on), the longer is better. It allows you to move the car back or forth to better balance the tongue for better highway (driving/balance the load), 2nd) Are you comfortable with the car hanging out alot........what if someone hits the back end? if longer, they'll hit the trailer. 3rd) if too short, and the front end hanging over the tongue, you need to be careful it doesn't hit the tow vehicle when turning R or Left.

Thanks guy's. Looks like 17' would be minimum I should consider. Now the hard part. Convincing my wife to store this thing at the back of the driveway :redcard: We have put a lot into landscaping and she say's this will make the yard look like Sanford & Son!!! Where's Lamant when you need him :hysterical:

Thanks guy's. Looks like 17' would be minimum I should consider. Now the hard part. Convincing my wife to store this thing at the back of the driveway :redcard: We have put a lot into landscaping and she say's this will make the yard look like Sanford & Son!!! Where's Lamant when you need him :hysterical:

Yeah, yeah........same speech my wife says to me........big deal, they'll get over it :) I am lucky enough to share my with my brother so it's not always at my place though

I don't think you could tell from the street if its 14 or 20 feet long. Don't let the length slow you down. Get the biggest one you can afford. JMO :happy feet: A 38 Foot enclosed might fit in the driveway and then you could just live in it and would not have to listen to her chin music.

I don't think you could tell from the street if its 14 or 20 feet long. Don't let the length slow you down. Get the biggest one you can afford. JMO :happy feet: A 38 Foot enclosed might fit in the driveway and then you could just live in it and would not have to listen to her chin music.

"CHIN MUSIC"

Some times I wish my wife would just give me the silent treatment!

JJ

I share one with my dad, it is almost identical to kaylan's but probably a bit narrower. :banghead: I agree about not buying too short. The extra length helps with the tie-downs in the rear, imo.

But the width is pretty darned important too. With the side rails in place, I only have 3/4" of clearance on either side of the front tires. When loading with slicks on that have gotten greasy and picked up any gravel in the paddock, getting up the ramps without slipping off or getting crooked can be an adventure.

And if your car is lowered, the height of the trailer, the length of the ramps AND the height of the fenderwells are all a big deal. I have to get out on the passenger side, because my drivers door hits the fenderwell.

I'll try to take some measurements for you when I get over to dad's place later this week.

:headspin: I had a 16 ft with dove tail ,extended ramps and aluminum nose guard. money well spent,loading and unloading by myself a problem, however the longer it sat?? I

sold it and bought a 24 ft enclosed vintage "outlaw". car pulls fine, and can be used as a garage , storage or shelter (shade) at events and locked up provides security. just my 2 cents. :hysterical:

Great thread! This discussion is quite helpful since I am considering buying one too. Before reading the opinions here I was considering a 12' or 14' trailer. I like ggl's trailer because the big tool box would serve as a barrier from any stones my truck might kick up. I would like an enclosed trailer, but I would be pushing the limits of my truck when the trailer is loaded due to the combined weight.

Maybe it's just my area, but I have found it difficult to find a used trailer. Even if I do find one, the price isn't that much reduced from a new one. On the positive side, I guess they hold their value.

Great thread! This discussion is quite helpful since I am considering buying one too. Before reading the opinions here I was considering a 12' or 14' trailer. I like ggl's trailer because the big tool box would serve as a barrier from any stones my truck might kick up. I would like an enclosed trailer, but I would be pushing the limits of my truck when the trailer is loaded due to the combined weight.

Maybe it's just my area, but I have found it difficult to find a used trailer. Even if I do find one, the price isn't that much reduced from a new one. On the positive side, I guess they hold their value.

That is pretty much everywhere. Difference between a new and used trailer makes it hardly worth buying used.

I have a open 17' car carrier with a diamond plate tool box on the tongue and yes .. its a tight fit. I actually hit the front bumper on the tool box one time and put two nice dimples on the new car.

OUCH... my future plans our to get a F 450 dually CREW CAB .... with a 48 ' goose neck trailer.

17' of car space .... 8' of work shop space and 15' of living space .... now thats how you travel !! !

Thanks! Looks sturdy. Can you let me know how you attached your tie-down straps (front and rear) to the D-rings.

Regards,

Joe

Yes very....the first 2 ft is 3/4 x 2=1 1/2'' thick....and 4 coats of oil base paint and then I wrapped the outer edges with alum...only added 45lbs off the gvw....I'll post pics of the tye downs next...but the front is over the K member[side area]and the rear is crossed and over the axle......

th_IMG_3748.jpg

th_IMG_3749.jpg

th_IMG_3751.jpg

th_IMG_3380.jpg

th_IMG_3372.jpg

................ Oh...and this trailer is 8 years old........and yes the rims match the cars stripe :happy feet: ......Dave.

I have open trailered for years on a 17 foot. Rides good and allows for some adjustment on positioning the car. Got tired of cleaning the car and worrying about road damage. This summer I got a 20ft C&C enclosed. Still rides good (I pull with a 2004 F-150 with 5.4 engine and trailer package) and all arrives clean and protected. It also locks and keeps the car safe when parking at hotels, etc.

I would not go for anything less than a 17 foot open and if you can swing it, go enclosed.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived