TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Trunk Key Bezel Removal How To?????

I'm replacing my rear trunk key chrome bezel and wonder has anyone done that or have some tips. I hear it is held on with 2 clips from inside and has 3M type tape on the back all over that secures it to the rear panel. Will it have to be heated up with a hair dryer or something to soften the tape so it will come off after the clips are removed? :dreamy:

On a different note I ordered a mount (have one in my Vette) and cord from Invisacord so I can have my radar detector mounted up using the sun visor screw and tap in to the pos/neg wires in the map lights for power. A very secure mount and no more wires all over. At the same time I'm replacing the hot map lights with ultra bright blue LED's like I did in my other car. They are bright, look good in a blue car, are not hot and last forever. :happy feet:

You are correct on the removal but the clips you refer to are more for location of the piece rather than securing it (they fit into location holes). The tape is very difficult to remove, even heated and you will destroy it. I went on Ebay and found some 3M emblem tape to replace mine with. Alternatively you can purchase another emblem that will have the 3M tape already attached to it.

MRFARMDOG, I'm not concerned on the tape getting messed up as I'm replacing the bezel with a new one, just wondering the best/easiest way to get this one off without scratching the car or something. Any thoughts? Thanks

You are correct on the removal but the clips you refer to are more for location of the piece rather than securing it (they fit into location holes). The tape is very difficult to remove, even heated and you will destroy it. I went on Ebay and found some 3M emblem tape to replace mine with. Alternatively you can purchase another emblem that will have the 3M tape already attached to it.

MRFARMDOG, I'm not concerned on the tape getting messed up as I'm replacing the bezel with a new one, just wondering the best/easiest way to get this one off without scratching the car or something. Any thoughts? Thanks

I used a WIDE PLASTIC putty knife and hair dryer. The plastic knife will prevent you from scratching your paint. I also used some paper towels underneath the knife when I was prying to prevent scratching as well. The tape separated during removal so I had some black tape material left on the car once I got the piece off. I had to rub it off with my finger while heating it up to remove it (some real sticky stuff). I also used GooGone to help disolve the adhesive. It did not damage the paint for me. All the rubbing with my thumb caused me to get a HUGE blister on the pad of my thumb. Basically ripped the top layer of skin loose. It took me about an hour or so to get everything completely off but I ended up with no damage and I reused the same emblem with new tape.

Thanks for the info so quick.

I used a WIDE PLASTIC putty knife and hair dryer. The plastic knife will prevent you from scratching your paint. I also used some paper towels underneath the knife when I was prying to prevent scratching as well. The tape separated during removal so I had some black tape material left on the car once I got the piece off. I had to rub it off with my finger while heating it up to remove it (some real sticky stuff). I also used GooGone to help disolve the adhesive. It did not damage the paint for me. All the rubbing with my thumb caused me to get a HUGE blister on the pad of my thumb. Basically ripped the top layer of skin loose. It took me about an hour or so to get everything completely off but I ended up with no damage and I reused the same emblem with new tape.

Wow, what a pain that was to get off. NASA needs the Ford tape to hold on the shuttle tiles :hysterical: Anyway got it off and the new on and and looks far better. The new one is from Ford Racing and ha the cobra but no GT500 which is great. Dont want to be a poser of that car. Thanks for the how to. Next is the radar detector bracket to install at the visor I ordered and wired in the the map lights.

You can do it from the outside.Leave the trunk intact.You can use a door panel removal tool to get the emblem off.Ive done it for numerous people to put on CDC trim panel piece.

rearshot.jpg

Wow, what a pain that was to get off. NASA needs the Ford tape to hold on the shuttle tiles :hysterical: Anyway got it off and the new on and and looks far better. The new one is from Ford Racing and ha the cobra but no GT500 which is great. Dont want to be a poser of that car. Thanks for the how to. Next is the radar detector bracket to install at the visor I ordered and wired in the the map lights.

No pics? :waiting:

Are you aware that Shelby is releasing a special trunk emblem for the SGT? You might want to wait.

oops! Never mind! :finger:

Shelby is too slow, but if it looks better maybe I change now that I know the pain. The part I bought (Ford) from Mustangs Unlimited was only $45. Not sure of the dealer price. The snake Ford bezel is awesome and looks exactly like the GT500 one just no GT500 letters. I also changed my map lights like my Vette to blue LED which use less power and are not hot and look far better in a blue car especially at night. I have the GT500 rear spoiler on wtg the Shelby stripes tomorrow. I also ordered a Invisacord bracket/cord that mounts to the visor screw for the radar detector and keeps the detector up and away with only 3in or wire going to the map lights for power. Invisacord does not show a specific application for our car but it's there and the C6 bracket from the Vette can be used. All that is left is get the pos/neg. Takes maybe 20min to install but I did it in the Vette before so knew the deal. Very minor mod to the visor plastic piece using a dremel to get the bumps off the back to mount flush. Next project is the auto dim mirror swap, with compass, with homelink that is a Ford part and fits out Stangs. It's in the owner manual as an option and I want it for ease in garage doors. Other than that getting the car like it should have been 100% maybe a SC down the line. Sorry no pics yet but I will once done with the stripes on the spoiler. :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Radical08, Glad I could help.How does it look? I just ordered the same one from my Dealer.

Archived