TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT question

Alloy Dave

I have a GT500, so admittedly I'm not up on all the Shelby GT info.

I have a friend looking at a used (a modern version...not a '60s car) Shelby GT. He says it's black with gold stripes. Does/did Ford make this color combo for sale to the general public? If so, which years? Both 07 and 08? The only ones I'm familiar with in that color are the Hertz cars.

A quick answer is appreciated...he wants to pounce and I want him to know if it was previously a rental.

P.S. It's on a dealer lot.

Thanks,

Dave

I have a GT500, so admittedly I'm not up on all the Shelby GT info.

I have a friend looking at a used (a modern version...not a '60s car) Shelby GT. He says it's black with gold stripes. Does/did Ford make this color combo for sale to the general public? If so, which years? Both 07 and 08? The only ones I'm familiar with in that color are the Hertz cars.

A quick answer is appreciated...he wants to pounce and I want him to know if it was previously a rental.

P.S. It's on a dealer lot.

Thanks,

Dave

Hey there,

My understanding is the Black/Gold combo was the Hertz rental cars - automatic trans only (wasnt available in a 5-Speed). Have seen a number of copy cars around lately.

Page

Dave, you're correct, that is a Shelby Hertz. If coupe, it was a 2006 model. If vert, at 2007 model.

Chances are that it was likely beat on. I've seen a few Hertz rentals for sale and they were pretty beat up. I rented one in LV and beat on it myself - especially when I went over the speedbump at 40 mph.

They made only 500 2006 Shelby Hertz Coupes - last I recall and 250 verts in 2007 (but then I heard they may have bumped this to 500 also).

PM Michael Morris here on this forum. He has sole about 22 of the Hertz models over the last year so he knows them well.

Ok, thanks for the info. What I'm hearing you say is that the ONLY black/gold combos made by Ford were for Hertz. Obviously there's always the chance someone cloned one. How about VIN? In other words, what were the two digits identifying a Hertz car? T82 = Mustang T88 = GT500 Coupe, T89 = GT500 Vert .......and T_ _ = Hertz?

Thanks again, I'll tell him he better get a REALLY good price to pay for all the beating on the car most likely.

AD

Ok, thanks for the info. What I'm hearing you say is that the ONLY black/gold combos made by Ford were for Hertz. Obviously there's always the chance someone cloned one. How about VIN? In other words, what were the two digits identifying a Hertz car? T82 = Mustang T88 = GT500 Coupe, T89 = GT500 Vert .......and T_ _ = Hertz?

Thanks again, I'll tell him he better get a REALLY good price to pay for all the beating on the car most likely.

AD

The won't tell you. It only identifies it as a GT Mustang the same as the SGT

Get the vin and we can look it up and see what it says.

A carfax would tell you if it was sold to hertz

AD

The car should have a Shelby (Tape version) plaque on the center of the dash with the CSM # and a matching metal tag in the engine compartment. The side stripes should say Shelby GT-H.

There are about 55 of these going up for auction so drive a good deal if he really wants one. They are cool looking!

Click on the view inventory icon on the right side of the page.

http://www.kruse.com/auctions/race08/index.asp

Archived