TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SHELBY GT

BUICK468

Are there any ground clearance issue's with the SGT as far as using it for a daily driver? About how much ground clearance is there from the front facia to the ground? I'm thinking that it is lower than a factory GT?

Are there any ground clearance issue's with the SGT as far as using it for a daily driver? About how much ground clearance is there from the front facia to the ground? I'm thinking that it is lower than a factory GT?

SGTs are 1.5" lower than stock GT500s. Shelby001's advice about speed bumps and high curbs is on the mark. Another danger zone is tire stops in parking lots. Driveways are another issue -- usually have to take them at an angle. On top of that, you will need a low profile jack in your garage to even work on your SGT. If you have to get towed, you will need to assure that the tow truck driver does not tear off the lower front portion of your car loading it on the flatbed. :lol: Great cars, really, even with all this. Jim

SGTs are 1.5" lower than stock GT500s. Shelby001's advice about speed bumps and high curbs is on the mark. Another danger zone is tire stops in parking lots. Driveways are another issue -- usually have to take them at an angle. On top of that, you will need a low profile jack in your garage to even work on your SGT. If you have to get towed, you will need to assure that the tow truck driver does not tear off the lower front portion of your car loading it on the flatbed. :lol: Great cars, really, even with all this. Jim

For daily drivers, tire stops in parking lots are the biggest worry - but if you just back into spots you don't really have to worry about it (the rear fascia has much better clearance).

The only issue I have ever experienced with the clearance is the parking space tire stops. Very quickly you'll develop a habit to not hit them!

Bastard parking bumpers! I bumped those twice, TWICE! Fixed the paint after the second time and then resolved the problem from ever happening again.

Fixed object collision alert system.

It's great as a daily driver - stiffly sprung, but not punishing. As for the clearance issue, I'm coming into this from a corvette, which is one of THE lowest cars out there, so I feel like the SGT has PLENTY of clearance! You do have to watch unusually high parking bumpers (just have to learn where the front of the car is), but no problems with speed bumps, & these do MUCH better than corvettes and Honda S2000s in terms of clearance for sure! I'm having a blast driving mine everyday, even in traffic (the satellite radio & gorgeous interior help, too).

I barely scraped my front bumper on a tire stop last week. After hearing from you guys, I don't feel so bad anymore. :hysterical:

God Bless,

+1 ... I slightly scuffed my front facia the second day I had mine on a curb :banghead: It's an almost daily driver. My other ride is a 4x4 with 11" of ground clearance so it's been a learning curve for sure. Just learning where the front end is takes care of any problems. The mishap was 3 months and 1,600 miles ago and now I don't consider the lack of ground clearance a problem. I love this car :headspin:

Jim

Archived