TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dealer Prep

nwilbert

I told my dealer, no front license plate bracket, but go ahead and put your sticker on the back, because they are treating me very fairly. It comes off very easily anyway if I decide to take it off later, if I find it distracts from the looks of the rearend. Otherwise, I'm happy to do a little advertising for them, they took care of me.

most of you are idiots to think ford is not going to prep your car- they well may have to warranty the car for six years and like it or not it is another car to them- a good dealer will not let the wrong person drive the car as they have insurance issues as well as we do- who knows who hit the top rpm before the rev limitor stopped the fuel flow- most likely at the factory level- be lots left when you get it unless you want to add goodies and ruin a already fast car- never does one person have the fastest car as we all well know . As soon as the car comes out on go the add ons- my 03 cobra runs high twelves to low thirteens with nothing added and the warranty stands in place- my shelby will remain the same way-

how does dealer prep have anything to do with a factory warranty? (besides making some adjustments to the tune? - if what I'm hearing on this site is true about how they are de-tuned at AAI prior to shipping). I believe that they may need to do an inspection, but not much else.

Shelby to the Bone,

The dealer will not prep my car other than de-restricting the PCM. And all dealers DO NOT seem to be smart about liability.

I once dropped a 93 RX-7TT (with mods) off for warranty work at a dealership near my office. On my way to lunch, my car comes ripping around me at a light and the driver proceeds to make a "Starsky and Hutch" drift around the next turn. I follow him at a distance as he stops at lights and smokes off rubber each time. When he FINALLY pulled into the dealership, I yanked the 18 year old kid out of MY car and haul him into the dealership manager's office and tell the manager what I just watched. The kid was their wash boy and had lost his license for traffic violations - the manager did not know this, but the service manager did.

I will NOT let any dealership prep my new cars anymore. And no one "test drives" them other than the service manager.

Another thing you may want to request is to not have the window sticker applied. Some GT's (Ford GT) we get still have the sticker unmolested in a large envelope (It is suitable for framing if you're in to that). We preserve the window stickers like that for the customer.

Shelby to the Bone,

The dealer will not prep my car other than de-restricting the PCM. And all dealers DO NOT seem to be smart about liability.

I once dropped a 93 RX-7TT (with mods) off for warranty work at a dealership near my office. On my way to lunch, my car comes ripping around me at a light and the driver proceeds to make a "Starsky and Hutch" drift around the next turn. I follow him at a distance as he stops at lights and smokes off rubber each time. When he FINALLY pulled into the dealership, I yanked the 18 year old kid out of MY car and haul him into the dealership manager's office and tell the manager what I just watched. The kid was their wash boy and had lost his license for traffic violations - the manager did not know this, but the service manager did.

I will NOT let any dealership prep my new cars anymore. And no one "test drives" them other than the service manager.

Not to mention on railcar, off railcar, around railyard (once or twice), back on truck, back off truck.

Make sure that you get in touch with each of your dealers if you want a documentation package including all the shipping stickers, pdi worksheet, bills of lading from carrier etc. and have them keep EVERYTHING for you. Also, if it were me I would make sure that there is no dealer etch (antitheft protector) or similar on the glass or panels unless you really want it. Some dealers do this as soon as the vehicle is off the carrier.

MY dealer is charging me $300 for dealer etch. He told me that it will lower my insurance rates. He also told me that it is mandatory. I am paying $7000 above sticker. You think they would do it for free! : :banghead:

MY dealer is charging me $300 for dealer etch. He told me that it will lower my insurance rates. He also told me that it is mandatory. I am paying $7000 above sticker. You think they would do it for free! : :banghead:

Do yourself a favor and check with your insurance co on that one. IMO I wouldn't want any etch tarnishing my otherwise pristine car. It is your car and if the dealer wants to charge you $300 to deface it I would be livid.

B.S., B.S., B.S.!!! My last dealer said the same thing. I threatened to call the State A.G. (Mom knows him personally!) and amazingly, he admits that it's "highly recommended" and "will ensure that if it ever gets stolen, insurance will be able to recover it quicker", but not mandatory.

Basically, all he was charging me for was the "registration" of the #'s that had been etched. I had him change all the windows that were etched or the A.G. would be calling the dealer owner in the next 10 minutes. Next day I picked up the car, with new windows, and a voucher for free service "for my inconvenience."

Don't fall for it! It's a dealer add on that has 300% mark-up on it!

B.S., B.S., B.S.!!! My last dealer said the same thing. I threatened to call the State A.G. (Mom knows him personally!) and amazingly, he admits that it's "highly recommended" and "will ensure that if it ever gets stolen, insurance will be able to recover it quicker", but not mandatory.

Basically, all he was charging me for was the "registration" of the #'s that had been etched. I had him change all the windows that were etched or the A.G. would be calling the dealer owner in the next 10 minutes. Next day I picked up the car, with new windows, and a voucher for free service "for my inconvenience."

Don't fall for it! It's a dealer add on that has 300% mark-up on it!

Thanks for the info. Now I've got some ammunition when I tell him to forget about etching my car! $300 saved!

I am preparing to write my dealer to let him know that I do not want anything attached to the vehicle that did not come from the factory (ie: front license plate bracket, dealer emblems, etc).

Do you guys know of any other dealer prep items that I may want to eliminate (or add) to protect my baby?

After reading this thread I sent an e mail to the owner of my dealership. I politely asked him to wait until I was there to do the PDI. I stressed no washing, no plastic removal, no driving etc. He replied saying he totally understands and told "his guys" when it comes off the truck park it inside and give the keys to him. They will call me and wait for me to be there to do whatever I want them to or not to do. I now see why he is a President's Award Winner from a small town. He listens to the customer....

P S D S

My doctor says he's preparing an article for the Journal of the American Medical Association regarding my case.

Anyone know of any "balms" or "ointments" that I can buy over-the-counter.

...rub a little 5W50 synth racing oil on your forhead at bedtime and plug Hey Little Cobra into the alarm clock and you'll be good as new in the morning ;-)

After reading this thread I sent an e mail to the owner of my dealership. I politely asked him to wait until I was there to do the PDI. I stressed no washing, no plastic removal, no driving etc. He replied saying he totally understands and told "his guys" when it comes off the truck park it inside and give the keys to him. They will call me and wait for me to be there to do whatever I want them to or not to do. I now see why he is a President's Award Winner from a small town. He listens to the customer....

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...my dealer (President Award winner, SVT and Blue Oval) told me I can be there when it arrives. They will let me take it as is if I want...and they even will deliver to my house if I want as-is right from Ford (less than 10 miles away, but still not a bad option). Nothing about tuning or anything like that...he laughed when I asked him (the owner) that...

Also said that the Shelby's probably will be delivered like the GTs were, in an enclosed 'race car' like trailer to ensure safe shipment.

I myself will be there when it arrives, take lots of pictures and take off all the "stuff", let them clean it and drive it home. Of course I'm assuming it won't be winter (I'm in MA),...if winter they deliver.

And I'm a average bum off the strett with no pull.

I really hate hearing about guys that are getting the short end,..no reason for it and I feel your pain. I would going crazy too. It should be a simple process, isn't that why Ford came up with the BS "your local Ford store".

Hussman - you're the Man - guy off the street or not!

We're all off the Street!

I hauled rebar into BeanTown for 10 years and spent time in the Combat Zone!

It's Your Car. Not their's!

Preserve the Delivery on film - you'll be happy you did. :shift:

A Survivor of Route 128! :rant:

Hussman - you're the Man - guy off the street or not!

We're all off the Street!

I hauled rebar into BeanTown for 10 years and spent time in the Combat Zone!

It's Your Car. Not their's!

Preserve the Delivery on film - you'll be happy you did. :shift:

A Survivor of Route 128! :rant:

Thanks brother...any Beantown alum (and wear that badge honorably) can't be all bad!

Oh, yeah.

I drove the Mass Pike into downtown before they found the Rats - and made the tunnel! :bandance:

What was that bridge - the rusty old bridge with the toll takers up On the Bridge? The Tobin - Mystic River Bridge! The toll station was up on the bridge - I'd be sitting behind a dump trailer and the bridge is bouncing up and down - and I'm thinking (let's get OFF THIS THING) - while this guys hands her a $100!.

:shift:

Archived