TEAM SHELBY FORUM

To Plate or Not to Plate?

Light66

Because I live in Colorado and purchased my GT500 from out of state, the Sherriff had to conduct a VIN verification for the Department of Motor Vehicles. The first sentence out of the cop’s mouths when they saw the vehicle was, "We will bring her back in 30 minutes!". The Sherriff was a car buff and said if it were his, he wouldn't put the front plate on. His suggestion was to keep it off until I get tired of paying the $35.00 fine and acknowledged that most cops who are car buffs would just give me a verbal warning.

Happy New Year Everyone!

I bought mine in California and the dealership had already mounted (screwed) the front plate bracket on. Arizona does not require a front plate. In fact, we only get one unless its personalized, then we get two -- the second goes on the garage wall..!! So with the ugly two holes in my front bumper I had to fill and repaint my new front bumper... :rant:

I bought mine in California and the dealership had already mounted (screwed) the front plate bracket on. Arizona does not require a front plate. In fact, we only get one unless its personalized, then we get two -- the second goes on the garage wall..!! So with the ugly two holes in my front bumper I had to fill and repaint my new front bumper... :rant:

I think I would have ask the dealer to fix it.

I think I would have ask the dealer to fix it.

Normally I would but couldn't in this case. My friend and I drove to Fresno from Tucson solely to drive the car home. Basically we were in and out of Fresno, so I did not have a choice but to take the car the way it was.

Willie

Because I live in Colorado and purchased my GT500 from out of state, the Sherriff had to conduct a VIN verification for the Department of Motor Vehicles. The first sentence out of the cop’s mouths when they saw the vehicle was, "We will bring her back in 30 minutes!". The Sherriff was a car buff and said if it were his, he wouldn't put the front plate on. His suggestion was to keep it off until I get tired of paying the $35.00 fine and acknowledged that most cops who are car buffs would just give me a verbal warning.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Here is a company who makes a bracket that you don't have to drill.

http://trailerrebuilders.com/services (I have a brand new one I didn't use if someone is interested would sell it for 55.00 shipped cost was 71.00 shipped)

Also a guy up in Canada makes a nice one which I wound up going with (cost 250.00) Can do a search on site for it. It was awhile back not sure if he is still making them.

My friend and I drove to Fresno from Tucson solely to drive the car home...

Willie

When did you get your car? What color/options did you get?

I lived in Tucson until June '07 and had my '07 Torch Red GT500 there for about 4 months before I came overseas. My car is still there with a friend.

I had it out to SIR & Firebird several times!

Keith

Here is a company who makes a bracket that you don't have to drill.

http://trailerrebuilders.com/services (I have a brand new one I didn't use if someone is interested would sell it for 55.00 shipped cost was 71.00 shipped)

Also a guy up in Canada makes a nice one which I wound up going with (cost 250.00) Can do a search on site for it. It was awhile back not sure if he is still making them.

Thanks for posting that it looks like a fantastic bit of kit. I am definitely going to order one for mine once it arrives!

Jaime

I will not put on a front plate.

My local police department and I have had our 'come to jesus meeting'. Luckily no tickets. They liked the car but told me to do it elsewhere.

They never said a word about the front plate. Although it was in the front floorboard where I always keep it. I'm sure they saw it.

Now I am an angel in my local town.

Happy New Year Everyone!

If you look closely you will see 2 holes behind your tape stripe, they come from the factory with the holes already there.

Happy New Year Everyone!

I live in NJ and like you, have not mounted the front plate. I just think it takes away from the look of the car. I keep it in the trunk and will provide it only if asked. Given that it is not a daily driver, i do not see a problem.

I vote for no front plate!! Here in Illinois front plates are a requirement. That being said, I drove my 87 GT for 4 years with no front plate, never had a problem with the "MAN". I have an 01 Cobra with no front plates, twice I"ve had to have close contact with the local police and in both cases after noticing that I didn't have front plates, nothing was said! I have an 08 GT500 and don't have any plates on it (this is another story for another time!) but once I do get plates, will only install the rear one. IMHO the GT500 just doesn't look right with the front ugly bracket and plate.

My .02,

Mike

Happy New Year Everyone!

Not to Plate, I live in League City Tx and when I picked my plates up a few weeks ago my salesman came out with a drill and a nut runner ( I sent the drill back ) :stop: No front plate here I'll take my chances.

It is required by law to have a front plate here in CA. I was pulled over for not having front plates on my truck, it was a fixit ticket and I don't remember how much it cost. I refuse to put the front plates on my 2008 GT500, it really detracts from the clean lines. I drive my car quite often, so far no problems.

with my experience and job at 2:00am you will get stopped..what happens depends on well attitude and other exigent cirumstances..i as well hate the front plate on the gt500...but its enough probable cause for being stopped and meeting your local law enforcment official

Archived