TEAM SHELBY FORUM

To SC or not????? my SGT

No, don't have it back. Per my earlier post, it will be there another 3-4 months. That is the bad news but the good news is how stand up Bud was for, one, telling me what my reality is and, two, giving me all options on what to do from this point forward. Jim

Holy cow! I am sorry to hear that your car will be at SAI for another few months. Too bad you couldn't get a interim tune to get by until the EPA version is available.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Holy cow! I am sorry to hear that your car will be at SAI for another few months. Too bad you couldn't get a interim tune to get by until the EPA version is available.

Bud offered to give me my car back in the interim but that would involve removing the S/C and then putting it back on in 3-4 months. Life is like that sometimes. Jim

Bud offered to give me my car back in the interim but that would involve removing the S/C and then putting it back on in 3-4 months. Life is like that sometimes. Jim

Well that sucks Jim. I am still hoping yuo will have it by May and can come out to CA speedway for an open track event.

Yes, you can keep the tower brace with the Paxton. I just got an e-mail from Bud at SAI and he just learned that they will not have EPA certification on the Paxton for 2008 for 3-4 months. They are good to go on the Whipple units, however. Just food for thought. Jim

I got the same email and offered the Whipple. Since I have the automatic I can only do the non-intercooled version. We've probably gone over this before, but are the HP ratings of:

Intercooled Paxton

Non-intercooled Paxton

Intercooled Whipple

non-intercooled Whipple

I'm considering getting the Whipple on the other car for now.

Also, a brief explanation of the difference between the two. My understanding is that the Whipple (screw) will deliver a more even power curve starting at lower RPM than the Paxton (centrifugal), but is that the only basic difference?

I got the same email and offered the Whipple. Since I have the automatic I can only do the non-intercooled version. We've probably gone over this before, but are the

Only per Shelby & FRPP. There are a few folks on other forums running the HO Whipple on the '05+ autos. However, it takes more than just the stock tune that comes with the HO Whipple in order for it to work properly (ie. a custom tune from a speed shop).

HP ratings of:

Intercooled Paxton

Non-intercooled Paxton

Intercooled Whipple

non-intercooled Whipple

I'm considering getting the Whipple on the other car for now.

Also, a brief explanation of the difference between the two. My understanding is that the Whipple (screw) will deliver a more even power curve starting at lower RPM than the Paxton (centrifugal), but is that the only basic difference?

I haven't had my car dyno'ed yet, but Whipple claims 415HP for the non-IC SCer; 500HP for the IC'ed SCer. From what I've read, folks with the IC'ed SCer are making anywhere between 450 & 490 rwhp depending on their tune and how safe they wanted to play it. I'm not sure of the Paxton, but I'm sure there are some numbers on their website.

The most basic way the two can be compared (IMO) is that the screw (Whipple) is better if its your daily driver/sees little track time where as the centri (Paxton) is better if you're into drag racing your car. The Whipple will make almost all of its TQ much lower in the RPMs making good HP high up while the Paxton will build its HP as your RPM's build and thus have a higher top HP. The twin screw/roots design is what most manufactuers (that I know of) go with when factory SCing a car. If memory serves me correct, a roots style blower (similar too, but less efficient than a twin screw due to heat build up) was factory stock on the Lightnings, Terminator Cobras, GT500's, and even the new Vette ZR1. It seems to be the defacto standard of choice from the factory. On the flip side, if you look at most serious/hardcore drag racers, you'll probably find many more with a centri setup.

That being said, over the years, the different types of SCing have really begun to converge on one another in terms of what they can do and helping to downplay their "weakness" (if you want to call it that) versus their competitors. For me, I don't track my car and if I do, it'll be only once or twice a year for "fun" so the Whipple was my choice for the day-to-day short bursts of fun with 400+TQ @ less than 3k RPM. :headspin:

Well that sucks Jim. I am still hoping yuo will have it by May and can come out to CA speedway for an open track event.

Hi Chris,

I like your idea of the CA Speedway -- that gives me something to shoot for. You know, the way time flies, May will be here before we know it.

Jim

The most basic way the two can be compared (IMO) is that the screw (Whipple) is better if its your daily driver/sees little track time where as the centri (Paxton) is better if you're into drag racing your car. The Whipple will make almost all of its TQ much lower in the RPMs making good HP high up while the Paxton will build its HP as your RPM's build and thus have a higher top HP.

Basically true. Any positive displacement supercharger (Eaton/Whiple/Kenny Bell) will put more power to the ground under 3000 RPM. But, they can flatten out in the high RPMs. Centrifugal (Vortech/Paxton/Procharger) are progressive, but endless in power, limited only by engine redline. This is more valuable in drag AND road racing, where your best performance comes from staying in the power band.

The twin screw/roots design is what most manufactuers (that I know of) go with when factory SCing a car. If memory serves me correct, a roots style blower (similar too, but less efficient than a twin screw due to heat build up) was factory stock on the Lightnings, Terminator Cobras, GT500's, and even the new Vette ZR1. It seems to be the defacto standard of choice from the factory.

I suspect this has more to do with contracts and the ability to fulfill the supply and demand of mass production. Eaton (parent company to Whipple and Kenne Bell) is under the hood of all most all factory productions supercharged automobiles, and it's largest blower, the 112, is the most popular. It's also the smallest of the positive displacement blowers for a V8, so, if you want something bigger, you have to go aftermarket and your choices are Whipple and KB for compatability with the factory setup.

Much of this has to do the availability of the blower. When Ford/Chrysley/GM contemplate mass produced supercharged cars, who can supply the volume for the production line? Eaton, a one-size fits all design.

• 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

I will be taking my 2007 Shelby GT up to Las Vegas to have a supercharger installed this May. I have read the comments about both the Paxton and Whipple superchargers that the Shelby mod shop offers. I am leaning toward going with the Paxton supercharger because I would like to leave the strut tower brace in place. It does sound like the Whipple is a bit more efficient however. I have a couple questions. We can only get 91 octane gas here in Arizona and the horsepower numbers listed for the Whipple specified 93 octane gas where as the horsepower numbers given for the Paxton specified 91 octane gas, I assume the Whipple has to be detuned somewhat for Arizona gas. Is this correct? Running both superchargers on 91 octane gas, will the Whipple still produce more horsepower at higher RPMs? My car is a five speed. Is there a noticeable difference in the driving experience between these two superchargers? Lastly, when the strut tower brace is removed, is there a detrimental effect on the car's handling or is this brace primarily just for looks? Thank you in advance for any information you can give me.

Chip

Good question about the strut tower brace!

It makes perfect sense - the brace keeps the tops of the strut towers from flexing under load. Just one problem, I would think that a road racer such as a Grand Am class would generate the highest loads and benefit the most from the strut tower brace but guess what - the FR500C doesn't have one. So if the Grand Am car doesn't have one, do we really need one? I think that from a performance standpoint, the answer is no. However, from a longevity standpoint the answer is not as clear.

If it helps, I removed mine to put a Saleen blower on. The car still handles well with the rest of the FRPP handling pack in place.

• 1 month later...
Maybe this will help make up your mind!

Hey Torrence,

The Whipple looks great. One Question. Did you need to drop the motor for it to clear the hood or did it fit without that mod. I noticed in your signature that you added motor mounts. I am in the process of researching superchargers and I like the whipple or twin screw myself. Just wanting to find out what other mods need to be done.

Thanks,

Don

Hey Torrence,

The Whipple looks great. One Question. Did you need to drop the motor for it to clear the hood or did it fit without that mod. I noticed in your signature that you added motor mounts. I am in the process of researching superchargers and I like the whipple or twin screw myself. Just wanting to find out what other mods need to be done.

Thanks,

Don

I only used the motor mounts for the headers, to make sure there was clearance there.

Archived